Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

*******Motors Chat - Round 7*******

Options

Comments

As far as I'm aware it was a 100 km/h zone. They had it parked at the end of the only stretch that had a hard shoulder. Nice and straight where they know you would be going faster.

I was clocked at, I think, 107km/h, on a 100km/h stretch of road.

Was talking to a few Gardai afterwards (was on the way to Ardee to a Garda crime prevention meeting, with the camera). They said there's generally a bit of 'play' in the speeds involved (ie; 75 is allowed on a 70, for example).

But I don't know if that's true. And either way, I'm sure, if there is an allowance, i'd have been over it by 1km/h knowing my luck :(

That said, you can bet your hole I made sure my beam lights were working for the rest of my journey up and down that road! :mad:

Unrelatedly, a more genuine question here; friends car was broken into (for anyone familiar with the area, and especially anyone unfamiliar that may find themselves there, never leave your car unattended at Clogherhead beaches/strands.. break ins are after becoming far too common out there).

Wires cut in the door... nothing taken though.. will insurance cover that? or will they give you a 'tough luck' talking to instead?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,792 ✭✭✭Ded_Zebra

Holy sh!t balls I missed this thread starting!!!!

Thought it had been awful quiet about recently!!! mods should give more warning:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭toastedpickles

Boooo for shame!! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I see Supergurrier's thread and that he only does 12,000 kms a year which is very low considering he lives in the country and works in Galway city. (unless he moved recently) That's a fairly decent commute every day. I actually do 33,000 kms a year, which is kinda high for somebody who doesn't work. I spend €90 a week on petrol.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,289 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

Im 13 miles from work and im currently on a 3 day working week :)

Not idea but that's why milage is so low.

Milage might be as high as 16,000km but im not driving the Volvo like i did the ST for no reason but to drive as well it's boring and somewhat unreliable atm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Im 13 miles from work and im currently on a 3 day working week :)

Not idea but that's why milage is so low.

Milage might be as high as 16,000km but im not driving the Volvo like i did the ST for no reason but to drive as well it's boring and somewhat unreliable atm.

What I noticed from personal experience: "reliably usually is the biggest factor when it comes to hating or loving car".
    I know some people realise how unreliable they cars are. But they still love them ( alfa drivers Trololol :pac:), but for me it can break or make a car.

I love scooby right now as it is little tank, that did not backstabed me yet. I got it for 2 years and still plan on keeping unless financial issues.
    Skyline wasfun and I loved it, but constant little issues that were impossible to sort out without sinking a lot of money and time put a bitter taste in my mouth.
    Mx5 might be still one of my favourite cars ever as that thing was just keep going. In all its time it only had one issue - coil packs. Other then that, reliability combined with fun made it best car ever.

Tl:Dr maybe if volvo would not be giving those reliability issues, you might like it a lot more.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Finally told AXA to shove their policy.
    Insurance up on the 7/10 and they sent me the renewal.... increased by 150e!
    Decided to give myself a quote on their own website and it quoted me the exact same price I had been paying.
    Called them yesterday and queried this.
    Obviously got speaking to an utter eejit who quoted me this:

"It's because your car is of significant horsepower so it is now at a higher insurance rating".

It's a 2001 S40 DCI with 115bhp........!!!!!!!!!?!??!?!?!

I burst out laughing on the phone and told to not roll over the DD.
    Did a subsequent search on FBD (we have another car with them) and they quoted me fully comp with a named driver and 2 NCB (I'm 27) at 300e less than AXA.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

bear1 wrote: »
    Finally told AXA to shove their policy.
    Insurance up on the 7/10 and they sent me the renewal.... increased by 150e!
    Decided to give myself a quote on their own website and it quoted me the exact same price I had been paying.
    Called them yesterday and queried this.
    Obviously got speaking to an utter eejit who quoted me this:

"It's because your car is of significant horsepower so it is now at a higher insurance rating".

It's a 2001 S40 DCI with 115bhp........!!!!!!!!!?!??!?!?!

I burst out laughing on the phone and told to not roll over the DD.
    Did a subsequent search on FBD (we have another car with them) and they quoted me fully comp with a named driver and 2 NCB (I'm 27) at 300e less than AXA.

I had the same with Axa this time around. So I put my details into their online quoting system and got a better quote, and put in my existing policy for a further 10% off, called them and they accepted the quote I had. They quoted me 800 in the renewal letter, and ended up getting it for 635 on a 325ci at 26. Not the worst.

I had the same with Axa this time around. So I put my details into their online quoting system and got a better quote, and put in my existing policy for a further 10% off, called them and they accepted the quote I had. They quoted me 800 in the renewal letter, and ended up getting it for 635 on a 325ci at 26. Not the worst.

Shower of chancers.
    That's a pretty good quote for a 325 :)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Shower of chancers.

It's a rocket ship don't you know!

• Advertisement

Shower of chancers.

Next year I'll be under a grand on the 9-5 so i'm happy :D

It's so sad to think that some insurance companies actually think that way :rolleyes:

It's so sad to think that some insurance companies actually think that way :rolleyes:

That's the reason I stayed with them to be honest. No one else would touch it. It's a BMW? It's a petrol? It's got a 2.5 liter engine? You're mad? How much is the tax on that? Would you not get a 2008 320d? :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭EazyD

What I noticed from personal experience: "reliably usually is the biggest factor when it comes to hating or loving car".
    I know some people realise how unreliable they cars are. But they still love them ( alfa drivers Trololol :pac:), but for me it can break or make a car.

I love scooby right now as it is little tank, that did not backstabed me yet. I got it for 2 years and still plan on keeping unless financial issues.
    Skyline wasfun and I loved it, but constant little issues that were impossible to sort out without sinking a lot of money and time put a bitter taste in my mouth.
    Mx5 might be still one of my favourite cars ever as that thing was just keep going. In all its time it only had one issue - coil packs. Other then that, reliability combined with fun made it best car ever.

Tl:Dr maybe if volvo would not be giving those reliability issues, you might like it a lot more.

I DD my MX5, hasn't ever missed a beat, likewise when my father owned a 91 NA. Very few car's strike that balance between fun and reliability at a fairly low cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭pred racer

But it's still silver:pac:

That's a good quote, I'm ancient and mine is 480 on a daysul Alfa..

Coz it's a sports car dontcha know :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Interslice

I'm paying the same on a 90 hp 2.0 TD as I would on a 150+hp tdi, which is hard to stomach. Sports car me hole!

Mine went up €50 from my 2l hdi 110
    That was a 01 C5 definately no sports car!

pred racer wrote: »
    Mine went up €50 from my 2l hdi 110
    That was a 01 C5 definately no sports car!

Madness! I got a quote of 70 quid more for a 2.4 jtd 156!
    I'd say mines about as quick as your average 1.3/1.4 golf corolla etc. but I'm paying nearly double the insurance and tax. Stupid country.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭Dartz

I'm paying 1300 on my car. And that's comprehensive insurance.
    I got quoted 1500 for a 1.4 Passat from the same year.

Insurance is a crapshoot at best

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Dartz wrote: »
    I'm paying 1300 on my car. And that's comprehensive insurance.

That's expensive for a Mazda 121 :pac:

• Advertisement

Pre what year are insurance companies likely to say no to insuring you? Or does that happen? Currently driving a 00 but looking at changing to something older. Early 90's yolk.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,193 ✭✭✭Cleveland Hot Pocket

Interslice wrote: »
    Pre what year are insurance companies likely to say no to insuring you? Or does that happen? Currently driving a 00 but looking at changing to something older. Early 90's yolk.

Some are 20 years so 1994 is the oldest.
    I had no problem insuring my 95 carina as a daily if I wanted
    However at that age normally you'd want a classic policy and a separate daily

• Registered Users Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

Some insurance companies have issue if your car is over 10 years old.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭Dartz

That's expensive for a Mazda 121 :pac:

Well, there's no no-claims bonus so it's starting from scratch there now....

Some are 20 years so 1994 is the oldest.
    I had no problem insuring my 95 carina as a daily if I wanted
    However at that age normally you'd want a classic policy and a separate daily
    Some insurance companies have issue if your car is over 10 years old.

I'll give them a ring so. One of the cars I was looking at was actually a '94. Would be my daily/only car.

A set of jump leads walk into a bar, the bar man says, I'll serve you, but don't start anything :pac:

I'm gone I'm gone :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭Bpmull

I've noticed this since I've got the golf I'm not sure if it's just a kilkenny thing or what. But this has happened with a few people I know and there not joking dead serious. Conversations kind of goes like this,

Them: that's a nice golf you have is it an sdi ?

Me: no it's a tdi.

Them: Jesus it must be a quick yoke so.

I'm fairly sure you cant even get a mk5 sdi golf maybe you could with very early ones but I thought the whole sdi engine was phased out in the mk4 golf anyway I know caddys still had them. It's not even one person had said it to me at least 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,384 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

They had a 75PS 2.0 PD SDI in the Mk5, Similar to the caddy (which is 69PS)
    You see them a bit in the UK

Bpmull wrote: »
    I've noticed this since I've got the golf I'm not sure if it's just a kilkenny thing or what. But this has happened with a few people I know and there not joking dead serious. Conversations kind of goes like this,

Them: that's a nice golf you have is it an sdi ?

Me: no it's a tdi.

Them: Jesus it must be a quick yoke so.

I'm fairly sure you cant even get a mk5 sdi golf maybe you could with very early ones but I thought the whole sdi engine was phased out in the mk4 golf anyway I know caddys still had them. It's not even one person had said it to me at least 5.

All I know is that every golf in north Tipp was out today, and not one of them was going anywhere quickly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,792 ✭✭✭Ded_Zebra

Another good reason to avoid busses :eek::eek:

5841_693a.gif

Stolen from the gif thread.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement