Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

*******Motors Chat - Round 7*******

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭Bpmull

Stheno wrote: »
    It is being restored to normality, but not by me :) By another boardsie

Great to here it's staying out of the scrap yard. Have you decided what your buying next ?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Bpmull wrote: »
    Great to here it's staying out of the scrap yard. Have you decided what your buying next ?

Nope :) Have the temp car, am still somewhat in alfalove land and wanting a spyder or Brera (both have chains iirc)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

Nope :) Have the temp car, am still somewhat in alfalove land and wanting a spyder or Brera (both have chains iirc)

They do that to you. I thing this post sums it up brilliantly!
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=77585778&postcount=16

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭Sobanek

Oooh, new Round.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

It does.

I know my colleagues will laugh manically when they see my new car Tuesday. (one will be seriously envious.)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭pred racer

It does.

I know my colleagues will laugh manically when they see my new car Tuesday. (one will be seriously envious.)

What are you getting?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,193 ✭✭✭Cleveland Hot Pocket

Cleveland, your new car is one of the scrolling photos on Sohans website, http://www.souhan.ie/ anyone any ide how much it costs for them to make up custom backbox for a car? I am considering doing this or I can import a 2nd hand Nur-spec one without a silencer for under 120, I would want the silencer I am sure as I arrive home from work at 12:00 some nights.

So it is, but with the stupid stickers that were on it...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,515 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Sobanek wrote: »
    Oooh, new Round.
    Yeah! :D

That is a hilarious post.
    I imagine if I had had my alfa longer before it kicked the bucket that I would have been the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

I am going to have to start making the dreaded calls to insurance companies today, my insurance is up on the 18th next month. Do you think I should start each phone conversation with "Hi I drive a Japanese import that is modified, will you cover me?" and see where it goes from there? I dont really want to waste too much time going through all the details only for them to say at the very end that they dont cover imports.

Also I forgot, do I mention I claimed off someone elses insurance?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

I am going to have to start making the dreaded calls to insurance companies today, my insurance is up on the 18th next month. Do you think I should start each phone conversation with "Hi I drive a Japanese import that is modified, will you cover me?" and see where it goes from there? I dont really want to waste too much time going through all the details only for them to say at the very end that they dont cover imports.

Aviva should be OK, they've been insuring my brother and his friends Jap Import Civics, fair enough they're not at all in the same class but I'd say they'd do it.

Also I forgot, do I mention I claimed off someone elses insurance?

Listen/read the wording carefully.
    If it says have had any accidents then you must declare. If it says have you made a claim against your policy (or similar) then you don't declare.

Aviva should be OK, they've been insuring my brother and his friends Jap Import Civics, fair enough they're not at all in the same class but I'd say they'd do it.

Funny you should mention a Civic, I was looking through their policey and under Aviva's assumptions "Is not a car vanette, kit car, sports car, convertible, GTI, VTEC or high performance vehicle" and "Is not converted, adapted or modified in any way".

Funny stuff that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

Funny you should mention a Civic, I was looking through their policey and under Aviva's assumptions "Is not a car vanette, kit car, sports car, convertible, GTI, VTEC or high performance vehicle" and "Is not converted, adapted or modified in any way".

Funny stuff that.

My brother might be screwed so :pac:

Funny stuff that.

Wonder how they define Sports Car. Since it is a loose enough term bandied about even on here, let alone IRL, to cars which are not sports cars.

Another thing of interest I never knew, according to this a UK car is considered an import as far as insurance is concerned.

323005.jpg

OSI wrote: »
    Well Aviva have changed their bands significantly of late. I had my policy with the m on the GTI last year for just over a grand. The renewal came in over 2,500. And nothing would get them to budge more than €50.

That sort of quote is more of a "we don't want to insure you/your car anymore".
    A rejection in all but name. So as you say they are probably moving towards a different market.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

Funny stuff that.
    Sensible econo spec SOHC Vtec 1.8 accord. Considered boring and sensible everywhere else in the sane world. Evil and dangerous in Ireland.

Variable valve timing Joe, tis corrupting the youth of today!

Wonder how they define Sports Car. Since it is a loose enough term bandied about even on here, let alone IRL, to cars which are not sports cars.

I had a broker last year tell me he couldn't get quotes for the gtv as it was being classed as a sports car

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

OSI wrote: »
    Well Aviva have changed their bands significantly of late. I had my policy with the m on the GTI last year for just over a grand. The renewal came in over 2,500. And nothing would get them to budge more than €50.

Holy **** Batman. And I though Bastards Cranking up my insurance by 100eu was bad. Worst thing is about cars like this - Who the feck will you go to... Everytime I call insurance company, I feel like I am trying to insure a Jet powered Motorbike with Bacon hanging of it...

• Advertisement

I had a broker last year tell me he couldn't get quotes for the gtv as it was being classed as a sports car

I've had that with the daysul 159:rolleyes:

I was once quoted 2500 pounds for my Tdi Xantia (at that time I was paying about 700) because it was a 2l turbo:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭toastedpickles

You could nearly hear their hearts stop beating when i said "2.3 turbo ecopower" :pac: poor souls :P

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

You could nearly hear their hearts stop beating when i said "2.3 turbo ecopower" :pac: poor souls :P

What does the eco power mean anyway?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭toastedpickles

What does the eco power mean anyway?

I think it's just to make people go "oooh it must be good for the environment" :pac:

Let's just say I, in a completely hypothetical situation of course, managed to pass by a GoSafe van, a few km's over the limit.. when would you reasonably expect a fine to come through?

Not asking for any particular reason of course.. no reason at all... no sir.. :o

Anywhere from a week to a couple of months (can be up to 6)

But the flash for cash go safe crowd seem to be pretty quick about it.

Let's just say I, in a completely hypothetical situation of course, managed to pass by a GoSafe van, a few km's over the limit.. when would you reasonably expect a fine to come through?

Not asking for any particular reason of course.. no reason at all... no sir.. :o

I would like to know that as well. I was doing 125km/h one night passed one, two weeks ago. I had my dims on and never seen it till it was too late.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

I would like to know that as well. I was doing 125km/h one night passed one, two weeks ago. I had my dims on and never seen it till it was too late.

125 km/h on your speedo was probably 118 km/h...now if it was a 50km zone you might be fecked
    Although that'd be worth framing :pac:

125 km/h on your speedo was probably 118 km/h...now if it was a 50km zone you might be fecked

As far as I'm aware it was a 100 km/h zone. They had it parked at the end of the only stretch that had a hard shoulder. Nice and straight where they know you would be going faster.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭Bpmull

I was in the passenger seat and my mother was driving on Friday she goes passed speed van at 72kmh in 60 kmh. She's been done by this same van in the same location twice which it is stupid big wide road at 60 kmh but thats the way it is. So I'm just sitting there in passenger seat and suddenly it's my fault :pac: women well my mum is particularly bad to the point where it's never ever ever her fault :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement