Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

*******Motors Chat - Round 7*******

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,193 ✭✭✭Cleveland Hot Pocket

Happy days so! :D

I've a journey to moanyhan tomorrow for the nct, so that's gona be a fun trip, so im off!

That's a little far for an NCT!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

That's a little far for an NCT!

Its a good run for an old italian tune up !

But i doubt emissions would be a problem for him though !

• Registered Users Posts: 5,193 ✭✭✭Cleveland Hot Pocket

Its a good run for an old italian tune up !

But i doubt emissions would be a problem for him though !

Swedish tune up... but yeah :P
    Emissions are a problem for all of us. I generally find that I'm over the CO2 and methane levels shortly after filling up.

Generally it's the beans.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Just how cautious or even confident are you driving in un-familiar conditions?

On Tuesday last people were almost OTT-cautious on the roads.

Now, granted ice was evident at the verge of roads; snow & slush on the roads and possible black-ice and we were driving into a snow-shower however,

leaving Ballyvourney heading over the County-Bounds I met with a convoy of 6-cars driving at 50kpm on a road where max is 100kph. They annoyed me with the over-cautious driving so I overtook them on the over-taking lane.

Once they saw herself passing out; ah sur road must be okay after-all, I look in the mirror to see them following me passing out the cars leading this convoy before sitting back in behind me then all the way back into Killarney (refused to pass me out, just sat in behind me).

Their is caution and then their is OTT-cautious. I have a much sturdier car now though and felt more confident driving in those conditions, but still, jeez grow a pair. Not expecting you to reach the max limit in these conditions, but at least make an effort to progress like.

I overtook one car with L-plates on the motorway leaving Cork City, they were just crawling along. Seriously hope it wasn't a learner driving though!

Are you overly-cautious or would you even be somewhat confident in these conditions?
    Thanks,
    kerry4sam

• Registered Users Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭YbFocus

No i drive to the conditions of course, but i was doing 80-100km's when the road permitted.

My daily commute are back roads and smoothly mountainous so couldn't hope to achieve more in those conditions!
    I did meet one local who i couldn't pass, in the middle of the road at 15km/hr. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

YbFocus wrote: »
    No i drive to the conditions of course, but i was doing 80-100km's when the road permitted.

My daily commute are back roads and smoothly mountainous so couldn't hope to achieve more in those conditions!
    I did meet one local who i couldn't pass, in the middle of the road at 15km/hr. :rolleyes:

You drive to the conditions but some cars can handle conditions better than others, so one mans driving to the conditions is another mans lunatic :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,701 ✭✭✭Cheensbo

Nail on the head tossy, but also add in that people must also drive to their abilities. Now at a guess I'd say most motors regulars have enough interest and understanding of how a vehicle moves and behaves on the road in different circumstances.

The average 'lay' person will not have the foggiest idea of how to correct a slight loss of control. Most people's reaction to this is lock arms and lock the brakes.

My point I guess is, I'd rather have paddy crawling towards me at 40kmh, than coming (unintentionally :D) sideways at me at 80kmh

tossy wrote: »
    You drive to the conditions but some cars can handle conditions better than others, so one mans driving to the conditions is another mans lunatic :D

Well i assume my car would be considered very bad in snow but it was traveling well, no problems.
    Yet people were dawdling!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,176 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    People dont realise how well a car can still handle in snow. They see snow and think that as soon as you turn the ignition that the car will start spinning :pac:
    I remember doing most of a lap in Mondello in a single seater race car in a foot of snow a few years ago and even it was still somewhat driveable.

Aye. There's snow and snow as well. Yesterday's stuff down here was the relatively harmless, crunchy kind and it wasn't quite cold enough to make surfaces properly dangerous.

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    People dont realise how well a car can still handle in snow. They see snow and think that as soon as you turn the ignition that the car will start spinning :pac:
    I remember doing most of a lap in Mondello in a single seater race car in a foot of snow a few years ago and even it was still somewhat driveable.

The father is like that, If the car gets out of line at all he won't fight it just starts saying "we're gone, we're gone" until it slaps the ditch.

Brought him out in the e36 Tuesday night and he thinks I'm a driving god :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

jimgoose wrote: »
    Aye. There's snow and snow as well. Yesterday's stuff down here was the relatively harmless, crunchy kind and it wasn't quite cold enough to make surfaces properly dangerous.
    I found the fresh stuff in Limerick was inclined to pack into the tyres giving me 4 "almost slicks". It wasn't too bad as long as you were smooth and not hooning it around abandoned car parks :o.
    Once it was thawed a tiny bit it was wet enough to clear the tyres.
    I don't think standard winter road tyres would have done me any good on the fresh stuff - proper M+S would have been the job to prevent clogging.
    Had snow socks but didn't need them. Not that I have them but didn't need traction control or electronic stability either. Edit - sorry, AWD does help a lot though!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

I must say, I'm delighted I'm in 1.5 tons of metal instead of the Yaris today, crosswinds were mental in some spots.

I must say, I'm delighted I'm in 1.5 tons of metal instead of the Yaris today, crosswinds were mental in some spots.
    Grand January day in Limerick.

Limerick in an orange alert:
    http://www.thejournal.ie/storms-are-battering-limerick-and-heres-the-result-1312883-Feb2014/
    (Feb 12 2014)

Limerick in a red alert:
    Limerick City and County Council issued a statement that, "no significant incidents have been reported as a result of Storm Rachel", and that "no emergency calls were received".

It was nice here up until about 2 o clock and then the sun decided to go to bed.

I should work on more "Im an awesome driver" anectdotes rather than "twas grand like".
    Not sure if I should have winter tyres now or have I been doing something wrong that there was no drama with AWD?

Limerick in an orange alert:
    http://www.thejournal.ie/storms-are-battering-limerick-and-heres-the-result-1312883-Feb2014/
    (Feb 12 2014)

That was my best friends apartment. I'll never forget that day. His missus was on the other side of the door. How nobody was hurt/killed is unbelieveable. The poor boat club is still roofless nearly a year later too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

Funniest thing about snow covered roads is that some people are like blind mice if the lines aren't visible. The amount of cars I seen undercutting a bend and driving in the verge was mad! Spraying up muck and shyte everywhere!

That was my best friends apartment. I'll never forget that day. His missus was on the other side of the door. How nobody was hurt/killed is unbelieveable. The poor boat club is still roofless nearly a year later too.

We're supposed to believe they err on the side of caution when issuing warnings based on today/yesterday. Where was that caution last year in the genuinely life threatening stuff!

Anyone have any idea where I could get OEM-esque Halogen Angel Eye bulbs? I really don't want to go to BMW for them or change to white LED's.

Anyone have any idea where I could get OEM-esque Halogen Angel Eye bulbs? I really don't want to go to BMW for them or change to white LED's.
    Are they w5w or some special ($$) bmw fitting?

• Advertisement

Are they w5w or some special ($$) bmw fitting?

They're a specific type made for angel eyes, mine are getting very dim.

The Gardai are getting a riveting new fleet.

http://jrnl.ie/1884180

• Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭sblythe

The Gardai are getting a riveting new fleet.

http://jrnl.ie/1884180

Ah there u go garda compensation for arresting peaceful protesters breaking ure oath and for being good corporate lackys well done._…._…._…._demoracy me arse!

Is a second hand power steering pump something one would buy? Offered one for 50, new one from Ford is 190...

I'd only go re-con with a guarantee or new if it's a known/common fault that has you looking for one.
    Got one from BBA reman for herselfs car. Probably the second replacement pump that went into it (BMW MINI). 3 pumps over 12years. Feel that quality.

My re-con one was 200. New is 600.
    I'd get a new one from ford unless things are very tight.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,423 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Is a second hand power steering pump something one would buy? Offered one for 50, new one from Ford is 190...
    Depends on how long you plan on keeping the car, and how much labour is involved.
    Iirc this is a focus weak point, so who knows how long it'd last, or whether its a freshly replaced part.
    Personally Id chance it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Joshua J

Can someone with a bit more knowledge than me tell me why someone would pay 1.2k for a car that has been ragged like this one in the video. Is the car rare or something?.

Ya, it's hard to know if there would be much life left in a second hand one. Think it's a fairly straightforward job, needs a fluid flush too. It's not that money is tight, it's just that this is the second car, and it's hard enough keeping two on the road!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Joshua J wrote: »
    Can someone with a bit more knowledge than me tell me why someone would pay 1.2k for a car that has been ragged like this one in the video. Is the car rare or something?.

€1200 isn't that much money. i wouldn't drive it on the road for numerous reasons, but if you wanted something to throw around mondello during the summer, you won't get on the track much cheaper than that car.

it's also worth a grand easy in parts i'd say. 1.8 turbo engine i'd say is worth €5-600, then you have the front mount intercooler, alloys, lip spoiler, probably some suspension mods etc. maybe €80-100 for scrapping the shell then when you're all done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,423 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Didn't hide the 96LH3520 reg number very well.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement