Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

*******Motors Chat - Round 7*******

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

The Gardai are getting a riveting new fleet.

http://jrnl.ie/1884180

sensible choices imo. all reasonably reliable models, the estates will be practical and look smart and i doubt the gardai find themselves in very many high speed chase situations so in most circumstances a 1.6 diesel would do just fine.

i'd be more worried if i seen they had bought a fleet of golfs and passats.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

The Gardai are getting a riveting new fleet.

http://jrnl.ie/1884180

So now I have to watch out for unmarked Hyundai i40s as well.:p

I will add that to the list of unmarked Focus, Mondeo, Avensis and that Volvo they have.

sensible choices imo. all reasonably reliable models, the estates will be practical and look smart and i doubt the gardai find themselves in very many high speed chase situations so in most circumstances a 1.6 diesel would do just fine.

I'd agree with the i30/40s but the fiat doblos? The transit connects are bad enough.

I will add that to the list of unmarked Focus, Mondeo, Avensis and that Volvo they have.

They have an unmarked Volvo? Based in Dublin I'd assume

• Registered Users Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

They have an unmarked Volvo? Based in Dublin I'd assume

yes, I have seen it pull cars at least twice.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭sblythe

Purple Subaru Forester in North Dublin too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

I'd agree with the i30/40s but the fiat doblos? .
    They should do em up in Tayto livery for the lolz. That look on someone's face when the blue lights come on on Mr tayto.

I'd agree with the i30/40s but the fiat doblos? The transit connects are bad enough.

the i30's and 40's will wear like an old corolla i'd hope.

the doblo's i'd say will be fine, they won't be worked near as hard as the patrol cars i'd imagine, so longevity would be better and the price was probably very right on them compared to a transit connect/ caddy type thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,420 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

25 new Fiats being registered.
    I'd say Fiat Ireland will be cracking open the champagne!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

So I figured out I could hook up my Rasperry Pi to my new Head unit....... Netflix incoming!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭Gavman84

New toy looking forward to using the weekend now! Few more ponies always welcome. imagejpg1_zpsd9fc2e65.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭Bpmull

What's that suppose to mean that a focus and some hyundais are more reliable than golfs and passats ?

Bpmull wrote: »
    What's that suppose to mean that a focus and some hyundais are more reliable than golfs and passats ?

pretty much yeah. well the hyundais anyway. they only bought a few focus.

the original comment was suggesting that the gardai had made a very mundane choice in what they bought. although this may be true with a fleet of hyundais and fiats, we must remember what the purpose of these cars is.

they have to be capable of taking dogs abuse, being ran pretty much 24 hours a day, and capable of doing literally in excess of 500,000kms. so key priorities would probably be a car that's cheap to buy, cheap to run and reasonably reliable.

i was sort of saying that if you made a less mundane choice and bought the peoples choice VW or a B.M. trouble you, that the car's probably wouldn't be as suited to the task.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,193 ✭✭✭Cleveland Hot Pocket

Ignore him i'd say sure thats just ridiculous you clant compare some koreans and german made american cars to actual german.reliability i know if i was a gard id dream of the day my sh1tbox econocrap was replaced with a great vw or bmw even like i mean how is an i30 meant to be a garda car come on like

Well I suppose anything vw would be a few k euro more expensive than the hyundais to buy which would add up with buying a fleet of them. Although I'm guessing they don't get the long warranty does it default back to two years with them.

I wounder what bhp the insignias there getting are ?

Ignore him i'd say sure thats just ridiculous you clant compare some koreans and german made american cars to actual german.reliability i know if i was a gard id dream of the day my sh1tbox econocrap was replaced with a great vw or bmw even like i mean how is an i30 meant to be a garda car come on like

i think you just broke my sarcasm detector, but it was so subtle i'm not sure.

i replied to you in "today i seen a car for sale" too. i think you think i was trying to offend you. i wasn't :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

I've seen a lot of Garda Mondeos around here with twin exhausts, what engine is in those?

Well I suppose anything vw would be a few k euro more expensive than the hyundais to buy which would add up with buying a fleet of them. Although I'm guessing they don't get the long warranty does it default back to two years with them.

I wounder what bhp the insignias there getting are ?

as far as i remember they put a mileage restriction on the warranties. they are probably a bit flexible with it when you buy 350 of them though :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,866 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

I've seen a lot of Garda Mondeos around here with twin exhausts, what engine is in those?

Traffic cars, think they're 175 or 200 brake diesels.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

They have a few mondeo st diesels, nice machines.

They have a few v6 mondeo ghia x older models.

there are also BMW m5 but don't see none to little use sitting up.

I would love to know how the gardai find the i30/i40 to go and handle cause from my experience I would prefer a focus or mondeo any day as they have independent suspension and handle really well.

Any Hyundai I ever drove was rubbish but last one I drove wad in 2008.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭toastedpickles

So the nct results!

It failed on one wishbone, and the emissions were perfect the guy said, so im pleased with that!

So the nct results!

It failed on one wishbone, and the emissions were perfect the guy said, so im pleased with that!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,289 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

NPR didn't blow over from crosswinds.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRYrIebYkDzusCHZjRTAT31jHyho1jS2LRzZ5uFgJfyfGYv_KKKur5oGA

So the nct results!

That's good going the emissions are the hard one to fix. Are wishbones expensive to do there not something I've ever replaced. It shows its a good car underneath anyway if that's all that failed.

That's good going the emissions are the hard one to fix. Are wishbones expensive to do there not something I've ever replaced. It shows its a good car underneath anyway if that's all that failed.

The emissions were

Low Idle @830rpm - CO - 0.02% HC34ppm

High Idle @2890rpm - CO - 0.12% HC 35ppm

I've no idea what that means, but apparently, it's "very very guuud hai"

160 for a wishbone :) doesn't seem too hard to do, but as i've been harping on, the subframe is coming out soon, so that'l be done then, tomorrow I'm doing a sump drop on another saab so that's gona be oodles of fun :o

pickles, as a fellow arch tech, i just want to know how you get so much time for your car and still "do college". do you not sleep or what's the story?

pickles, as a fellow arch tech, i just want to know how you get so much time for your car and still "do college". do you not sleep or what's the story?

To be honest? I've honestly no idea :o I do as much work as humanly possible in the given hours we have, I rarely do any work at home, plus i'll do anything that needs to be done to the car in wind/rain/snow, weather doesn't effect me haha

To be honest? I've honestly no idea :o I do as much work as humanly possible in the given hours we have, I rarely do any work at home, plus i'll do anything that needs to be done to the car in wind/rain/snow, weather doesn't effect me haha

that's a good answer. determination is the word i think :P

i've been driving around the last 3 days with no back box because i've been deeming it too cold to go outside and put the new one on.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

So the nct results!

Can you take that off the green bastard? (Sorry Trailer Park Boys reference)

• Advertisement

Can you take that off the green bastard? (Sorry Trailer Park Boys reference)

I can!, but then I can't move the fecker away from my house, which is what im trying to do!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement