Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If the UK asked Ireland to rejoin the Union, how would you vote?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭Henry Sidney

No to reject rejoining the Union
    Have a look at this guys post history and please tell me why he hasn't been banned yet?

Yeah, ban me because I don't agree with you. Typical.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

Jawgap wrote: »
    The US is pretty much anti-EU! They are anti anything that threatens their power / influence in the international setting - the last thing they'd want is an organised and coherent EU.

Just look at how their attitude to France has morphed over the last 10 years or so - France apparently is now their 'oldest ally' - only a few years ago they were changing the name of French fries to Freedom Fries!!

There's 'Old Europe' and 'New Europe' in their view.

exactly! If anything Ireland and the E.U should be integrating more to counter the U.S global influence.

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭Colinf1212

The US is pretty much anti-EU! They are anti anything that threatens their power / influence in the international setting - the last thing they'd want is an organised and coherent EU.

Just look at how their attitude to France has morphed over the last 10 years or so - France apparently is now their 'oldest ally' - only a few years ago they were changing the name of French fries to Freedom Fries!!

There's 'Old Europe' and 'New Europe' in their view.

Anti-Eu yet wants more and more states to join the EU? Obama warned the UK they should stay in the EU while the UK position on EU membership was being criticised in Brussels and Dublin (why would they do this is they were anti-EU? Explain it). They are also fully supportive of Turkey (who they are friendly with) joining. Pretty much everything they come out with shows they are pro-EU.

Germany is the main trading partner they have in Europe and France is their oldest ally now. I was wondering why a previous member tried to tell me the UK is the most important European state to the US.

smurgen wrote: »
    exactly! If anything Ireland and the E.U should be integrating more to counter the U.S global influence.

No the EU and US should be integrating more to counter China. Which is why the US are pro-EU.

That US global influence that directly creates 160,000 jobs for Irish people so bad is it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

Having lived in continental Europe and in the U.K i can tell you that we are actually far similar to the Italians and French that the English in terms of sense of humor and values. I'm actually very surprised when people say we're very like the English, I see very little similarities.Just because we speak the same language doesn't make us similar.

We are identical to them. How on earth could we have the same humor as French and Italian people when we don't even speak the same language as them? Most Irish people are monolingual, just like the people in the UK. Most Italian and French people, particularly the younger generations, are bilingual. Have you ever visited France. I speak French and go there because it is so different to us in cultural terms (lifestyle in particular). I think we could learn some stuff from them actually.
    Colinf1212 wrote: »
    Ireland can't afford to link up with the most isolated state in the EU. The Americans wouldn't be happy with it since they are pro-EU and the rest of the EU wouldn't be happy with one of the most pro-EU states joining one of the most anti-EU states.

The USA is massively anti-EU. They feel threatened by the size and power that the EU has, as it competes with their USA. Lots of Americans believe that they are the biggest and best at everything and the rest of the world looks up to them in awe. A federal union with the UK would be very good for us, once we maintained our own government here which could set our tax rates etc. We could get rid of the god awful Euro. Building stronger ties with your neighbours can only be a good thing.

• Advertisement

Berserker wrote: »
    The USA is massively anti-EU. They feel threatened by the size and power that the EU has, as it competes with their USA. Lots of Americans believe that they are the biggest and best at everything and the rest of the world looks up to them in awe. A federal union with the UK would be very good for us, once we maintained our own government here which could set our tax rates etc. We could get rid of the god awful Euro. Building stronger ties with your neighbours can only be a good thing.

Threatened by the size and power yet want more countries to join and warning the UK to stay? How does this make any sense whatsoever? You're just making up things in your head and going with it it seems. The US are worried about China, not the EU.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭DLMA23

Needs 'fúck off' option added to poll

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

I'd be on the first plane out of here - it's a prospect that would horrify me ... We are one of the most successful independent countries in the world, we are much better off running our own affairs.

We can be best of friends and neighbours with the UK but roommates is totally out of the question.

No the EU and US should be integrating more to counter China. Which is why the US are pro-EU.

That US global influence that directly creates 160,000 jobs for Irish people so bad is it?

no, they only suit U.S interests, they were caught spying on many European heads of states. any war which the E.U isn't backing that the U.S are shows the difference between the two. the recent war in Gaza being one, the war in Ukraine another. They have no respect for the opinion of the E.U and have a thin veneer of friendship with them. The best example of this in recent history was assistant secretary of State Victoria Nuland say " **** the E.U" in relation to Europe's hesitation to "pick a fight" with Moscow.

irishfeen wrote: »
    We are one of the most successful independent countries in the world, we are much better off running our own affairs.

Given what has happened over the past 10 to 15 years in this country w.r.t. our financial "issues", child abuse scandals and mass baby graves, for a start, that is one hell of a statement.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭DLMA23

Europe's hesitation to "pick a fight" with Europe.
    :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Anti-Eu yet wants more and more states to join the EU? Obama warned the UK they should stay in the EU while the UK position on EU membership was being criticised in Brussels and Dublin (why would they do this is they were anti-EU? Explain it). They are also fully supportive of Turkey (who they are friendly with) joining. Pretty much everything they come out with shows they are pro-EU.

Germany is the main trading partner they have in Europe and France is their oldest ally now. I was wondering why a previous member tried to tell me the UK is the most important European state to the US.

Yes of course they do- the governance structures in the EU are ponderous and complex - the more countries you add the more complexity you add the more inefficient it becomes - that suits the US.

The US are opportunists plus if France, Germany etc are so important to the US why won't they admit them to the Five Eyes agreement? And agree to stop spying on them?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,678 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Given the centrality of economic power in Brussels, perhaps the discussion is moot.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

ZZZZ,this trolling crap comes around every few weeks find some other wind up topic.

DLMA23 wrote: »
    :confused:

fixed,meant to say Moscow

Given what has happened over the past 10 to 15 years in this country w.r.t. our financial "issues", child abuse scandals and mass baby graves, for a start, that is one hell of a statement.
    You could pick out things from every countries history ... Germany and the war, Britain and the empire, Australia and the aborigines, the US and slavery.. Etc.

We are of course one of the most successful countries in the world - things might seem better over the hedge but they rarely ever are.

Have a bit of pride in modern Ireland, we have built a very successful country from almost nothing.

And agree to stop spying on them?

You're pro joining the UK but against spying? Didn't a British leak say Ireland is being spied on by the UK from top-to-bottom?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Absolute NO.

Those voting yes in here are traitors and dangerous to the Republic.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Ralf and Florian

The Jimmy Saville and Rotherham cases show we don't exactly hold a monopoly on establishment complicit child abuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,160 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

I think this public poll is a plan of Sinn Féin to gather names of people they want to deport once they win the next general election.

• Advertisement

The Jimmy Saville and Rotherham cases show we don't exactly hold a monopoly on establishment complicit child abuse.
    Yep, as I said things always seem greener on the other side but stand back and the rarely if ever are.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,439 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

I think this public poll is a plan of Sinn Féin to gather names of people they want to deport once they win the next general election.

Thankfully that will never happen.

Absolute NO.

Those voting yes in here are traitors and dangerous to the Republic.

:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭Lenin Skynard

The poll says it all and that's on boards which is notoriously full of west Brit types. I'd wager a poll in real life would be more like 95% against.

Joining the United States would get more support, as crazy as an idea as that would be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

diomed wrote: »
    I've had enough of "the mainland, "British isles", "Paddies", "Micks".
    I'll stay with the enormous debt and the begrudgery.

They have an enormous debt, formalised begrudgey based on the class system AND a huge face deficit!

People always forget that the UK isn't exactly a perfectly run paradise.

Ireland still has higher rankings on all sorts of quality of life and human development indices.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

You're pro joining the UK but against spying? Didn't a British leak say Ireland is being spied on by the UK from top-to-bottom?

I'm not sure where you get that I'm pro joking the UK????

I'm pro having the conversation and pro - in certain circumstances - possibly joining a federation with Scotland, Wales, England and NI.

If you read my posts you'd see I was pretty clear on the institution of monarchy - can you have a United KINGDOM without a monarch?

So it's difficult to see how you arrived at the conclusion that I am pro joining something which wouldn't exist ;)

EDIT: as for the spying, people can't be surprised that the Brits spy on us can they? Anyway in terms of monitoring out communications I'd say our good friends the Americans with that nice Offaly-man in charge and that nice Roscommon man in the CIA are way ahead in the spying on Irish citizens game.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,234 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Imagine country nightclubs playing God Save The Queen before closing? And everyone standing up with their hand on their chest?
    I'd imagine in a real poll the result would be about 98% no

Cienciano wrote: »
    Imagine country nightclubs playing God Save The Queen before closing? And everyone standing up with their hand on their chest?

Why would this happen? I have never seen this happen in a night club:confused:

Cienciano wrote: »

What nightclub plays the national anthem at the end of the night? I have never been in one that does. How awfully tacky! Anyway the anthem wouldn't chance nor the flag. I know you Republicans are obsessed with flags. You clearly don't understand what a federal union means also.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

SpaceTime wrote: »
    They have an enormous debt, formalised begrudgey based on the class system AND a huge face deficit!

People always forget that the UK isn't exactly a perfectly run paradise.

Ireland still has higher rankings on all sorts of quality of life and human development indices.

What's a face deficit?

Advertisement