Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If the UK asked Ireland to rejoin the Union, how would you vote?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Only if we can support their football teams like Manchester United, Liverpool, Arsenal, Chelsea and Celtic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

I've had enough of "the mainland, "British isles", "Paddies", "Micks".
    I'll stay with the enormous debt and the begrudgery.

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭Colinf1212

FunLover18 wrote: »
    6 replies and nobody's called anyone a West Brit :confused:

No point in saying it anymore. Too far gone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭Henry Sidney

No to reject rejoining the Union
    Jawgap wrote: »
    If you don't like it then why don't you leave - have a referendum with yourself ;)

I left.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,024 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

If it could a federal republic with Michael D as head of state and holding onto the Euro then yes!

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Irish people fighting under the tricolour are not engaged in active combat in Iraq and Afghanistan. I like that, the Islamic extremists like that, everybody is happy. :)

Really?

So this isn't a photo of ISAF Deputy Commander British Lt. Gen. Adrian Bradshaw presenting shamrocks to Irish service members at ISAF headquarters to celebrate St. Patrick’s Day?

http://www.strikehold.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/6989872337_555418eb06_b.jpg

Second guy in looks like he's wearing a Cavalry Corps beret?

• Registered Users Posts: 33 billy111

Can you imagine the referendum posters. Kenny with a union jack tie. Martin mansergh head of elections.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

That's simply not true. Politically the Irish are very pro European Union, the British on the other hand are one of the least and could potentially withdraw from it in the near future. Fine Gael are the most right of centre party in Ireland but would be seen as Lefties by the Conservatives. Our Labour Party is to the left of their Labour Party. Fianna Fail and Sinn Fein are quite different to the Lib Dems.
    Irish people don't want a Euro skeptic right wing government.

Instead we have a left wing Euroskeptic party in Sinn Fein :). Were we not asked to vote twice for Nice and Lisbon? Euroskepticism exists to a large degree in Ireland. Politically we are more aligned and close to Westminster than any other parliament in the world. We are more like the UK than anywhere in Europe, this is just plain fact.

We have the Common Travel Area which means there are no added conveniences to having a union with Britain.

Other than the Irish Republican dream of a united Ireland and closer economic and political ties to our nearest neighbour. Yes, would did the Romans ever do for us.
    We would have to harmonise our corporation tax with the rest of the UK. Bye bye FDI!!!

This is where what type of federation would come into it. Ireland should be able to set its own tax rates but you ignore my point about the French having a go at Ireland regards this. Irish tax rates are already under threat. Perhaps a Union with Britain could safe guard Irish tax rates? Not as easy to bully. ;)
    We would have to send our troops to Iraq and Afghanistan. We would become a more legitimate target for Islamic extremists.

Well we must not at all upset those animals in the Middle East who behead people. I see appeasement is alive and well...
    We could see a rejuvenated New IRA drawing Republicans from all corners of the island to violently fight against it.

Like above, this would be a democratic process. Are we really afraid of a few thugs with guns?
    The Queen would be our head of state.

Not necessarily and not a problem for NZ, Australia and Canada as well as a host of other nations. I would have thought we are over that insecurity.
    My local TDs voice would be diluted by having a larger core of politicians ( who would be mainly English and simply don't care about Ireland).

Again, depends on the make of a federation. Usually in a federation all parts get a equal say in the higher house like in the US Congress.
    Should we join a union with Britain? GET DA FUK...!!!

We are already in a union with Britain, its called the EU.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

Jawgap wrote: »
    Simply not true - the Scots (are they not also British) are very pro-Europe, and the Welsh Cornish (are they not British) - moderately pro-Europe. The British are more than the 'Home Counties' parochial English.

True

Not true - the reforms proposed for the Scots include tax varying powers - the simple idea being that the Parliament in Edinburgh would have the power to set many of it's own taxes, with a the block grant being varied accordingly.

If anything that retained power combined with unfettered access to the financial services sector in London would boost FDI.

We would enjoy a shared defence that's true - but it's not like Irish men (including personnel from the PDF) haven't already served there.

We'd be part of NATO, but our defence costs would be covered.

I think you misunderstand what 'Islamic' extremists are interested in targeting.

If it was the expressed democratic will of the people I doubt there would be any significant reaction - you'll still have the headbangers but nothing except some kind of Marxist/Leninist north Atlantic state will ever satisfy them.

Not necessarily - you'd assume if this did come to pass there would be a process of negotiation. It would be a deal breaker, I agree, but there's plenty of support for a republic in England, Scotland and Wales - so it's not impossible to imagine herself being relegated to something less relevant where the institution would have nothing to do with the governing of this new imaginary federation!

An end to the parish pump politics that have plagued and retarded this country for generations? - no more getting the roads fixed, the medical card sorted, de Minister down to open the local supermarket / offlicence / garden shed etc. Government in the national interest sounds like a bad idea alright :rolleyes:

Easy enough to counter the mainly English parliament by setting up a strong upper house with each country given equal representation.

Could you just give me some real tangible benefits that Ireland would enjoy by joining the UK?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

I would give multiquoters their own country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

No. They'd be all over here, trying to steal our fields. With their multi culturism.

The NHS would be nice though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭Henry Sidney

Could you just give me some real tangible benefits that Ireland would enjoy by joining the UK?

more to the point, if the UK was supposedly asking Ireland to join the union, what would Ireland bring? What possible reason would we have other than a bail out?

Well the NHS for a start - having had to put sick kids through both the NHS and the HSE, I know which system I prefer!

Free education - as in actually 'free' - not free with voluntary donations, fees for 'arts materials' etc

Proper accountability for politicians, utility companies, so called professionals and local administrators

Win a few medals at the Olympics

The roads......*

We wouldn't have to doff the cap and tug our national forelock at the German Chancellor or the French President and ask them nicely for more......

Plus, who is to say we wouldn't end up running the show? Historically, whatever country the Irish have travelled to, and whatever international institutions we've been a part of, we've always been pretty good at getting into and controlling the key positions of real power!

*I know it goes without saying :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭Gone Drinking

more to the point, if the UK was supposedly asking Ireland to join the union, what would Ireland bring? What possible reason would we have other than a bail out?

Have a look at this guys post history and please tell me why he hasn't been banned yet?

the third largest trade surplus in the EU?

It would offset just over 50% of the UK's record trade deficit ;)

EDIT: and, apparently, an economy that's growing twice as fast as the 'mainland' economy; a current account surplus of nearly €3 billion (compared to the UK's current account deficit of stg£18.5 billion)

Have a look at this guys post history and please tell me why he hasn't been banned yet?

Why do you think? All his posts get likes too which is unsurprising. Lapdogs for any pro-British, anti-Irish comments on these boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭Gone Drinking

Colinf1212 wrote: »
    Why do you think? All his posts get likes too which is unsurprising. Lapdogs for any pro-British, anti-Irish comments on these boards.

He's not bro-British or just anti-Irish:
    I would love to see Scotland vote yes, then ideally Wales and NI will follow and we will have got rid of all the junk little holes that we don't need.

Also its the manner in which he comments, hes obviously here purely to troll.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

We don't want you anyway. Bad enough having the North, which we would gladly get rid of tomorrow,

Yeah they were so eager to get rid of the place they fought a 25 year conflict there with the aim of retaining sovereignty there.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

So long as we make Michael D King and the union is ruled from Ireland. That'd be a hoot

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭CZ 453

Relations are as good as they have ever been at the moment. No need for a union as we work so closely with the UK anyway. Just return the North to us when it is wanted by the majority of NI and we can afford it please :)

• Advertisement

He's not bro-British or just anti-Irish:

Also its the manner in which he comments, hes obviously here purely to troll.

I never said he was pro-British or anti-Irish (obviously is however). I read the comment quoted when I was watching that thread. He came across as quite happy when Scotland voted no to independence.

Honestly like, these threads always bemuse the f*ck out of me. It's mad that after years of attempted suppression of the concept of an Irish nation and a long and hard struggle for independence; people still retain this bizarre filial attachment to a former colonial power. Frantz Fanon wrote a lot about this phenomenon, namely the belief that the former colonised people were conditioned to believe they were fundamentally inept and could only be better served by union or subservience to a colonial entity.

Ireland has problems. Massive structural ones that go to the heart of the state here. If the state is to serve the ordinary people of Ireland as opposed to an elite or well-connected political and economic class then it indeed needs systematic reform. However, the onus to achieve that change lies with us, the Irish people themselves; acting in their own interests and on their own behalf on their own steam. The average person in Ireland isn't going to be best served in the long run by subsuming itself into a monarchist state which is myopically governed from a mega city in the south east of England.

People can dress this b*llocks about rejoining the UK/Commonwealth etc as being "mature" or "pragmatic" all they want, the fact remains it's the same cringing, unimaginative nonsense it always was. Irish history was always littered with these sort of idiots, unfortunately they seem to be making a come back these days.

Ireland can't afford to link up with the most isolated state in the EU. The Americans wouldn't be happy with it since they are pro-EU and the rest of the EU wouldn't be happy with one of the most pro-EU states joining one of the most anti-EU states.

Relationships with the US and the rest of the EU are more important than joining the UK. No point isolating yourself and ruining your trade surplus, lowering your GDP per head, lowering your mean PISA scores, lowering your HDI etc.

What would happen with the USA ties and the 12.5% tax rate? There are about 500 US companies in Ireland directly employing roughly 160,000 people. Follow the US/Europe, not the UK.

Ireland can't afford to link up with the most isolated state in the EU. The Americans wouldn't be happy with it since they are pro-EU and the rest of the EU wouldn't be happy with one of the most pro-EU states joining one of the most anti-EU states.

That's nonsense. The US is closer to the UK than any other country in Europe. The USA probably wouldn't give two f*ck's what Ireland does believe it or not.

FTA69 wrote: »
    That's nonsense. The US is closer to the UK than any other country in Europe. The USA probably wouldn't give two f*ck's what Ireland does believe it or not.

What leads you to think this exactly?

FTA69 wrote: »
    Honestly like, these threads always bemuse the f*ck out of me. It's mad that after years of attempted suppression of the concept of an Irish nation and a long and hard struggle for independence; people still retain this bizarre filial attachment to a former colonial power. Frantz Fanon wrote a lot about this phenomenon, namely the belief that the former colonised people were conditioned to believe they were fundamentally inept and could only be better served by union or subservience to a colonial entity.

Ireland has problems. Massive structural ones that go to the heart of the state here. If the state is to serve the ordinary people of Ireland as opposed to an elite or well-connected political and economic class then it indeed needs systematic reform. However, the onus to achieve that change lies with us, the Irish people themselves; acting in their own interests and on their own behalf on their own steam. The average person in Ireland isn't going to be best served in the long run by subsuming itself into a monarchist state which is myopically governed from a mega city in the south east of England.

People can dress this b*llocks about rejoining the UK/Commonwealth etc as being "mature" or "pragmatic" all they want, the fact remains it's the same cringing, unimaginative nonsense it always was. Irish history was always littered with these sort of idiots, unfortunately they seem to be making a come back these days.

Don't know about any of that - my views are formed from my experience of growing up here, and living in the UK, US, Germany and NZ.

If I have an affinity for the UK and NZ it's because of the hospitality I was shown there when I lived in those countries. It makes you realise that the idea that this is a 'great little country' is a load of horsesh1t - it could be great though.

The defining experience for me was when one of my kids got seriously ill in the UK - I wasn't once asked to pay for anything - the ICU, the helicopter transfers, the advanced medication etc all covered. The post-treatment review with the physicians was mindblowing.

Fast forward a couple of years and another child fell ill - the experience of the HSE in a republic that is supposed to 'cherish' its children would have put the Yanks to shame. No sooner had he been transferred from one hospital to another than the first hospital was phoning and chasing for 'their' money. No discussion / interaction with the medical team ("Family liaison? What's that?"), everything beyond the most basic care had to be paid for.

If the measure of a country is how well it treats its children, then as far as I'm concerned the Republic failed its test when it came to my family.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Yeah great Empire it was built on slavery and murder.

Enough about mayo we are talking about rejoining the UK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

Hmm, should we join the UK? Well I'm not keen on the whole invading/bombing countries lark that they go on with nearly continually, nor the clampdown on freedoms/covering up of gross police excess all in the name of the War on Terror, can't say I'd be happy with the class system and huge inequalities which their system rejoices in, the whole right-wing anti-immigrant strain in their politics doesn't sit well with me, I don't want to be one of the world's biggest arms exporters, I don't really want to contribute taxes to white elephants like the twenty billion on Trident... Add to that I don't think putting an 'NHS' sign above our hospitals would actually achieve anything.

So that's a No from me anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

Why would we want to join a union with them? We have one of the highest standards of living in the World, there's is much lower in comparison. We are also a non militarized nation while they seem gun ho to get into every dirty war going. Ireland is a utopia compared to the U.K, anyone posing such a question or strongly supporting it must be trolling.

Having lived in continental Europe and in the U.K i can tell you that we are actually far similar to the Italians and French that the English in terms of sense of humor and values. I'm actually very surprised when people say we're very like the English, I see very little similarities.Just because we speak the same language doesn't make us similar.

• Advertisement

Relationships with the US and the rest of the EU are more important than joining the UK. No point isolating yourself and ruining your trade surplus, lowering your GDP per head, lowering your mean PISA scores, lowering your HDI etc.

What would happen with the USA ties and the 12.5% tax rate? There are about 500 US companies in Ireland directly employing roughly 160,000 people. Follow the US/Europe, not the UK.

The US is pretty much anti-EU! They are anti anything that threatens their power / influence in the international setting - the last thing they'd want is an organised and coherent EU.

Just look at how their attitude to France has morphed over the last 10 years or so - France apparently is now their 'oldest ally' - only a few years ago they were changing the name of French fries to Freedom Fries!!

There's 'Old Europe' and 'New Europe' in their view.

Advertisement