Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

English Paper 2 Unseen Poem tips

Options
  • 10-06-2010 9:37am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭

So another thread about the unseen poem. This is just to give you a nudge in the right direction.
    If any of you had seen a previous thread by me then you will already know this but it is the most effective way of doing the unseen.
    SLITS = Shape, Language, Imagery, Theme, Style.
    Try to tackle the poem mentioning all of the above and writing about a paragraph on each.
    Look at the title and see if it has anything to do with the poem.
    Here is an example (sorry if its a little long) of an unseen poem and an answer that got me FULL marks.
    2007 Leaving Cert Paper 2

Rhapsody poem:

Sat in the cheap seats
    Of Symphony Hall, squinting
    As the instruments tuned up,
    I could pick out only you:
    Forth row back and clutching
    Your viola, bright hair split
    Across the strings. You were
    Deep in a flurry of pages
    With bitten lip, too
    Intent on forcing that
    Melody right to the cheap seats
    To notice me up there, ears straining
    To block out any sounds but yous.

Q. Describe the impact that this poem makes on you as a reader.
    Here is my answer that got full marks. Try to notice the style of the answer.
    A: The poem Rhapsody is a short free verse poem of only one stanza and has only two full stops which makes it only two sentences long. The poem had a deep and genuine impact on me and I'm sure many people sympathize with the general theme of unrequited and unreturned love. The poem has a universal theme of love at first sight and obsession which is not returned to the poet.

The title "Rhapsody" suggests musical quality and romance, however the poem itself may contradict the title as no end rhyme is present and the romance shown in the poem is unrequited and obsessive. From the opening, we can see that the poet is distant from his subject of admiration. The poem does have hints of romance as the poet effectively conveys the emotion which is being felt by him, "I could pick out only you: forth row back and clutching your viola," The poet has noticed a young women in the orchestra and becomes entranced with her. One thing that struck me about this poem is the distance between the poet and his desire, even though the relationship seems to be worlds apart, the poet still falls for her. One line that suggests the unrequited love in the poem is "You were deep in a flurry of pages". The violinist seems to show no interest in the poet and because of this, the poem takes a pessimistic turn. It is also clear that the poet does not care about her lack of interest in him, which only highlights the growing obsession of the poet. There is a sense of optimism near the end of the poem as the violinist was "Intent on forcing that melody right to the cheap seats". From this line, there is a sense of hope as the violinist may have noticed the young man in the back of the theatre. Finally the poem ends with a further indication of the young man's obsession with the violinist, "ears straining to block out any sounds but yours". The poets use of only two sentences throughout the whole poem could also be an indication of the young mans heartbeat as he notices the violinist. His growing infatuation leads to his rapid heartbeat as it skips which is an effective device to convey the poets feelings.

Overall the theme of the poem has universal significance as nearly everyone has had, at one time or another, an unrequited love of their life.

Even though my answer was a little short, it still got full marks (from a strict teacher I might add) because I dealt with the use of punctuation, theme and shape. Aswell as throwing in my own personal input and using appropriate quotation. Like nearly every teacher says "Quality not quantity."

So try and have a general plan about how to do your unseen poem answer. Mention techniques used by the poet and even if you don't know the full meaning behind the poem, then just try to argue your opinion of what the poem is about.

Good luck to everyone in Paper 2 this afternoon. As for the regular poetry, I have a feeling (along with all the English teachers in my school) that W.B Yeats will come up. He last came up in 2005 and that is A LONG TIME for Yeats to be missing on the poetry. He is a heavyweight in not only Irish poetry but world wide poetry and he seems to be the odds on favorite to come up. There will be one women poet so Eavan Boland and Adrienne "lesbo" Rich will either come up. So its down to T.S Eliot and Patrick Kavannagh as my other two choices to appear on the paper.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

Thanks for that Jamie! That SLITS abbreviation is a helpful tip in itself.

As for poets, my money is on Yeats and Boland. Followed by Elliot. And Maybe Kavanagh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭Jamiekelly

Thanks for that Jamie! That SLITS abbreviation is a helpful tip in itself.

As for poets, my money is on Yeats and Boland. Followed by Elliot. And Maybe Kavanagh.

Thanks mate. Yeah I can see that line up coming up. I can't see Walcott coming up on the paper.
    Oh and I'm 18 today aswell so hopefully I'l get Yeats as a present. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭blacklionboy

this is really helpful cheers! Can you link me to the thread talking about SLITS?

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭Jamiekelly

this is really helpful cheers! Can you link me to the thread talking about SLITS?

Thanks

Sorry mate the thread is basically the same as what I said here.
    I'l go into more detail about it now.
    Shape = shape of the poem. Amount of stanza's etc
    Language = Is the language simple or complex? Does it help the poet make the poem more effective/appealing? For example a poem that deals with childhood innocence will obviously have simple language to help convey the simple yet imaginative mind of a child. If the poem is about harsh struggles or hard times it might use complex language to help convey the harshness. A good example of this would W.B Yeats' poem The Lake Isle Of Innisfree. The opening line is "I will arise and go now and go to Innisfree." Notice his use of the word "Arise". It is not a common word used even back in Yeats' time. It is older and more archaic. It helps the poem feel timeless and free.
    Imagery = Is what it says on the tin :p. See what images the poet uses to get his point across. Another W.B Yeats' example of Lake Isle of Innisfree. "A small cabin build there of clay and wattles made." This is an image of humbleness and simple living which helps the reader to see that Yeats' yearns for the simple life without any luxury.
    Theme = Really obvious. What is the overall point of the poem? Why did he/she write it? What message are they trying to get across?
    Style = What devices are used? Punctuation? Short sentences? Alliteration? Litanies? See if they help make the poem more effective.

Sorry I couldn't add more. Hope this helps mate.

God if Yeats' comes up I'l do a somersault across the exam hall lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Finical

Great stuff mate, nice of yeah putting them up.

• Advertisement
Advertisement