Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Late Late Show 19/9/2014

Options
1232425262729»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,038 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

amdublin wrote: »
    Whut???

You that from that comment?? I think you're wwaaaaaay over thinking one sentence.

You said no one said anything about aspiring to be fat, I pointed out the sentence and who said it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,650 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

MOD:
    Okay hotmail, you are treading close to the line now (post #844), let it go please.

Back on topic everyone - discussing the lls, rather than what someone on this thread did or didn't say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭emanresu esrever

Oh cmon AM it is a bit silly to suggest that anyone would "aspire" to be overweight in the correct meaning of the word "aspire"! Unless you are a Sumo wrestler where it is a professional choice! Or katie hopkins who wants media publicity at all costs!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,650 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Glad you mentioned Katie Hopkins there emanresu esrever i.e. someone who actually was on the lls!

Mod:
    We're all getting way off here talking about an opinion of one poster.

So (final warning), everyone let it go. If anyone wants to keep it going take it to pm please.

Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 49,731 ✭✭✭✭coolhull

amdublin wrote: »
    Glad you mentioned Katie Hopkins there emanresu esrever i.e. someone who actually was on the lls!

Mod:
    We're all getting way off here talking about an opinion of one poster.

So (final warning), everyone let it go. If anyone wants to keep it going take it to pm please.

Thank you
    Yep. I've said it before . Trolls like Hopkins thrive on this kind of argument. It's their lifeblood.
    The sooner people stop rising to her bait the sooner we'll see see the end of this obnoxious creature

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Just watching Tom vaughan Lawler now......fascinating guy, of course tubs lost it for 5 mins with the "you're not nidge" section and the tool doing impressions. Did he say fagg0t?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Caught some of the replay tonight. Your one Hopkins should not be given any sort of air time in any form and that's all I'll say on the matter. Mario Rosenstock was a bit cringe, is he capable of doing an interview as himself. Seems to be common amongst impressionists that they become completely reliant on their voices. I'm sure it's been pointed out already but his bit on Roy Keane and his 2 phones was lifted right out of one of his Gift Grub sketches a few weeks back.

FunLover18 wrote: »
    Caught some of the replay tonight. Your one Hopkins should not be given any sort of air time in any form and that's all I'll say on the matter. Mario Rosenstock was a bit cringe, is he capable of doing an interview as himself. Seems to be common amongst impressionists that they become completely reliant on their voices. I'm sure it's been pointed out already but his bit on Roy Keane and his 2 phones was lifted right out of one of his Gift Grub sketches a few weeks back.
    he's not stealing his own material is he??? :)

Breaking News: IMPRESSIONIST USES VOICES TO PUBLICISE HIS WORK.....

Why wouldnt he use his own jokes from gift grub! Once he plays them on today fm is there a veto on tbem! All comedians use the same material on the road when they are doing a tour.

Rosenstock is out to make a living , and he is doing so, by comedically imitating people and there is a vast market for it! I dont like tomato ketchup, but it doesnt mean id belittle heinz nor question their intention for selling it!

I have heard the guy being intdrviewed on numerous occassions and he is a very impressive, articulate and witty man. If you dont like his work so be it! But he is enjoyed by many. And if you were told you could make money out of impersonating, im sure you would contemplate doing so.

Andrea Martin is perfectly entitled to say "I'm fat but I'm happy" if that's how she feels.. and she is fully entitled to live her life whatever way she pleases.. But I dont think it's a responsible thing to come on TV and try to normalize being obese.. Being obese is not something that people should aspire to.. It's not something that people should want for themselves and it is certainly nothing what they should want for their kids.. And by reciting her mantra "I'm fat but I'm happy" on national TV she encourages/permits other overweight people to abdicate themselves of responsibility for their obesity, and allows them to hide behind "I'm fat but I'm happy" instead of taking action.
    yeah the "i'm fat but happy" thing is not something i buy into....size isn't the issue it's Health that we should focus on. She should have said "i'm healthy and happy" ...it's a fact the healthier we are the happier we are.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,964 ✭✭✭For Reals

I read her piece on her 'fat but happy' appearance on the LLS.
    I honestly think she herself jumped at the invite to come on to promote herself and it didn't go great. Her article about the LLS is more apologetic for not nailing Hopkins. What ever she was trying to achieve, she didn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭zoobizoo

Would have been better had they had a health professional on to counter any ridiculous claims.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

I bet Twink and her dog will make an appearance on this Friday's LLS.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/twink-overjoyed-as-stolen-dog-teddy-is-found-30610646.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Strongbow10

MrsD007 wrote: »

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/twink-overjoyed-as-stolen-dog-teddy-is-found-30610646.html

2lm3x1f.jpg

I'd say Twink left her front door open and the dog made a run for it.

Poor thing didn't bargain on Linda Martin getting involved and being sent back home :P

Breaking News: IMPRESSIONIST USES VOICES TO PUBLICISE HIS WORK.....

Why wouldnt he use his own jokes from gift grub! Once he plays them on today fm is there a veto on tbem! All comedians use the same material on the road when they are doing a tour.

Rosenstock is out to make a living , and he is doing so, by comedically imitating people and there is a vast market for it! I dont like tomato ketchup, but it doesnt mean id belittle heinz nor question their intention for selling it!

I have heard the guy being intdrviewed on numerous occassions and he is a very impressive, articulate and witty man. If you dont like his work so be it! But he is enjoyed by many. And if you were told you could make money out of impersonating, im sure you would contemplate doing so.

Calm down, there I was talking about one interview and he was literally just rattling off voice after voice.

I'd be perfectly happy with him doing it at the gig, same I'm not going to complain about a comedian doing fúcking jokes at a gig. But we're talking about a sit down interview, how many comedians have you seen do one of those where they rattle off their material? Not many, otherwise they'd have people coming out of the gigs saying "Sure I saw him do that on the Late Late or Graham Norton".

Most comedians are actually capable of having a conversation with an interviewer and probably enjoy it. Now I only had the Late Late on in the background but if I'd tuned in especially to see Mario do an interview I'd be pretty disappointed to see him do just an extended Gift Grub, containing material I'd already heard, maybe that's just me though.

• Registered Users Posts: 49,731 ✭✭✭✭coolhull

With Twink playing both parts.

Calm down, there I was talking about one interview and he was literally just rattling off voice after voice.

Happens every time he and Callan are on.

still find it odd that the LLS went to the bother of getting some youtube spanner that called Tom Vaugn Lawlor a "Fagg0t" onto the show.....

I'd be perfectly happy with him doing it at the gig, same I'm not going to complain about a comedian doing fúcking jokes at a gig. But we're talking about a sit down interview, how many comedians have you seen do one of those where they rattle off their material? Not many, otherwise they'd have people coming out of the gigs saying "Sure I saw him do that on the Late Late or Graham Norton".

Most comedians are actually capable of having a conversation with an interviewer and probably enjoy it. Now I only had the Late Late on in the background but if I'd tuned in especially to see Mario do an interview I'd be pretty disappointed to see him do just an extended Gift Grub, containing material I'd already heard, maybe that's just me though.

Seriously...... ? You do realise that most comedians appear on these one on one interviews with a set agenda of prompts and questions given to interviewers so as that they can churn out pre prepared jokes. It is very rare the case that many of these have a serious interview. Im baffled people dont realise this.

But thats the nature of the business, if the likes of Jason Byrne, (who i GREATLY dislike) or Delamere etc turned up to RTE with nothing prepared, Tubridy would have very little to ask him and grust me the comedian would be at a loss at what to say. Very few comedians these days can ad lib to great effect, there are a few but most would ensure they turn up with their own material in their proverbial pocket.

As for impersonation, are people that interested in what mario has to say about himself? Im sure he is a nice guy and as i said, from listening to interviews, the most recent on moncrieff ( who i think would be a brilliant late late anchorman), he is very intelligent and witty. but has he a story to wow us with? What would you propose be asked of him? " so how do you do voices", " what life event made you realise voices are for you?"....

Hes there to sell a product (tickets for his shows) much like Colin Farrell would be there to sell a movie or Celia Ahearn a book etc. Not everyone listens to gift grub, in fact id say a small minority of LLS viewers would so he needs to take the 7/8 minute window and try broaden his market.

Comedians also use jokes on a repeat basis. I recall listening to Des Bishop when he was popular here on the LLS and then subsequently seeing him at a gig at Electric picnic and he used the same material word for word effectively.

Oh and the graham norton and panel show type appearances are different, given that the focus isnt entitrely on you and its much easier to be funny when there are others around bouncing ideas. But i guarantee you all comedians wouldnt dare turn up to these shows either without a reptoire of jokes!!

Ps. I am very calm! I dont understNd people who feel the need to add this on ! Its just a little debate!

But thats the nature of the business, if the likes of Jason Byrne, (who i GREATLY dislike) or Delamere etc turned up to RTE with nothing prepared, Tubridy would have very little to ask him and trust me the comedian would be at a loss at what to say. Very few comedians these days can ad lib to great effect, there are a few but most would ensure they turn up with their own material in their proverbial pocket.

I don't agree with that.. The most successful comedians are intelligent people who have a wide variety of interests. If Tubridy could hold a conversation, it would make for better tv. And Byrne and Delamere are masters at ad lib (if you've ever seen them perform live)

The point of going on the LLS these days though is to sell tickets to gigs so they showcase their work when they are on.

• Advertisement

zoobizoo wrote: »
    I don't agree with that.. The most successful comedians are intelligent people who have a wide variety of interests. If Tubridy could hold a conversation, it would make for better tv. And Byrne and Delamere are masters at ad lib (if you've ever seen them perform live)

The point of going on the LLS these days though is to sell tickets to gigs so they showcase their work when they are on.
    i'm sure they are intelligent and have interests....but they never go on tv without material ...even ross noble has some sort of plan....your two examples (delemere and byrne) are actaully the most likely of all to have pre prepared material on tv. ...especially on the late late......

zoobizoo wrote: »

i would not call jason byrne intelligent! His ad libbing usually involves putting on a strong dublin female accent. He wouldnt hold a flame to the likes of eddie murphy, michael mcintyre, robim williams, jimmy carr or billy connolly in his prime.

Nowadays these comedian slots on LLS only comprise of a maximum of ten minutes generally so they need to be constantly funny. Its all about setting up these jokes and hence they prepare materials and inform producers of these prompts. Im well aware of the business. My mate worked in today fm for years and ray darcy show would have multiple comedians on and 90 % of these would have prepared questions/prompts/subjects.

At the end of the day it suits everyone, the viewer is entertained, the shows producers are happy, the interviewer has less work, the comedian comes across as he wants to be- funny - and theyore pften than npt gain neq fans

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,964 ✭✭✭For Reals

****e comedians rattle off voices in interview.

The likes of Billy Connolly, Chris Rock etc. can be funny off the cuff from questions generated by the host.
    But alas, that requires a talented host and witty guest. The LLS needs more actual interviewing and less, well, just hoping the slot goes quickly.

Seriously...... ? You do realise that most comedians appear on these one on one interviews with a set agenda of prompts and questions given to interviewers so as that they can churn out pre prepared jokes. It is very rare the case that many of these have a serious interview. Im baffled people dont realise this.

But thats the nature of the business, if the likes of Jason Byrne, (who i GREATLY dislike) or Delamere etc turned up to RTE with nothing prepared, Tubridy would have very little to ask him and grust me the comedian would be at a loss at what to say. Very few comedians these days can ad lib to great effect, there are a few but most would ensure they turn up with their own material in their proverbial pocket.

As for impersonation, are people that interested in what mario has to say about himself? Im sure he is a nice guy and as i said, from listening to interviews, the most recent on moncrieff ( who i think would be a brilliant late late anchorman), he is very intelligent and witty. but has he a story to wow us with? What would you propose be asked of him? " so how do you do voices", " what life event made you realise voices are for you?"....

Hes there to sell a product (tickets for his shows) much like Colin Farrell would be there to sell a movie or Celia Ahearn a book etc. Not everyone listens to gift grub, in fact id say a small minority of LLS viewers would so he needs to take the 7/8 minute window and try broaden his market.

Comedians also use jokes on a repeat basis. I recall listening to Des Bishop when he was popular here on the LLS and then subsequently seeing him at a gig at Electric picnic and he used the same material word for word effectively.

Oh and the graham norton and panel show type appearances are different, given that the focus isnt entitrely on you and its much easier to be funny when there are others around bouncing ideas. But i guarantee you all comedians wouldnt dare turn up to these shows either without a reptoire of jokes!!

Ps. I am very calm! I dont understNd people who feel the need to add this on ! Its just a little debate!

I may have misinterpreted the capital letters in your original response for anger.

I see your point about comedians, and I'm well aware that they have material at hand, I suppose because of the nature of most of it it's easier to slip into a conversation, whereas an impressionist can't really afford to be subtle.

I still think the level of material he went through on LLS was ridiculous bordering on pathetic. It reeked of desperation, his show can't be doing that badly. I'd have no interest in hearing him do a psychoanalysis session with Gay Byrne but an interview is supposed to be slightly conversational, and there's defo material there is one wanted to do a more in depth interview; when/how did he discover his talent, how did he get to where he is today, I assume he didn't just walk into Today FM, how does he keep his tour relevant given that a lot of his Gift Grubs are based on the current news cycle. They're not groundbreaking questions but I'd find it more interesting than the elongated promo we got.

Nowadays these comedian slots on LLS only comprise of a maximum of ten minutes generally so they need to be constantly funny. Its all about setting up these jokes and hence they prepare materials and inform producers of these prompts. Im well aware of the business. My mate worked in today fm for years and ray darcy show would have multiple comedians on and 90 % of these would have prepared questions/prompts/subjects.

At the end of the day it suits everyone, the viewer is entertained, the shows producers are happy, the interviewer has less work,the comedian comes across as he wants to be- funny - and theyore pften than npt gain neq fans

I was going to myself that it's probably more of a problem with the show itself than with Mario. The format really needs some sort of upheaval. The bit in bold is just sad and

I may have misinterpreted the capital letters in your original response for anger.

I see your point about comedians, and I'm well aware that they have material at hand, I suppose because of the nature of most of it it's easier to slip into a conversation, whereas an impressionist can't really afford to be subtle.

I still think the level of material he went through on LLS was ridiculous bordering on pathetic. It reeked of desperation, his show can't be doing that badly. I'd have no interest in hearing him do a psychoanalysis session with Gay Byrne but an interview is supposed to be slightly conversational, and there's defo material there is one wanted to do a more in depth interview; when/how did he discover his talent, how did he get to where he is today, I assume he didn't just walk into Today FM, how does he keep his tour relevant given that a lot of his Gift Grubs are based on the current news cycle. They're not groundbreaking questions but I'd find it more interesting than the elongated promo we got.

I was going to myself that it's probably more of a problem with the show itself than with Mario. The format really needs some sort of upheaval. The bit in bold is just sad and

In fairness, he is going 15 years or so impersonating. Im sure he has answered a few of those questions before and i doubt most remember the answers nor care for them! Magicians come on and perform magic and musicians, with the odd exception come on and perform music.

Im not belittling your opinion, i just feel you are in a very small minority. He is there to entertain and i doubt most would be entertained by the answers to the questions you have cited. Personally, i only find these impersonations work well on radio. The tv show had its moments and the interviews can be a bit tedious. The radio sketches, although edited, are the best format.

Apres match, however, can pull off the tv, given the simplicity of the studio environment and the fact it is confined to tournament periods when you have the impersonated exposed!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

I love Michael Harding sooooooooooo much :) I read 'Staring at Lakes' and I went to see his one man show, he is hilarious.

On a serious note, he really understands depression and describes depression so well in his book.

I bought Michael Harding's book 'hanging with the elephants' during the week. It is such a simply gorgeous read. I'm loving it......so I am :)

Advertisement