Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Late Late Show 19/9/2014

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,588 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

RayM wrote: »
    I missed this last night. Some of us have lives, you know (not me though - I just fell asleep at 9pm). Glad I missed it. Katie Hopkins should be denied the oxygen of publicity. And the oxygen of oxygen.

I've kept out of it for this reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,982 ✭✭✭Hitchens

I didnt feel that there was any ruse or subterfuge with having the journalist in the audience... tbh, if I'd just walked in to the studio knowing that Katie Hopkins was going to on talking about obesity, I would have assumed that the woman (who was significantly larger than any other person in the audience) was the speaker for the counter opinion..

10665781_730776233624115_8351984846586786062_n.jpg?oh=12c218bb8a15ff24e50672d60ba05d45&oe=54C8122B&__gda__=1417929209_ea12bb652dc39b877eb5529adb0ced61

And I dont think she is asking herself the right questions when her response is "well I'm fat and I'm happy"... She should be asking herself "Do I want to live past 60?" ... Katie Hopkins makes a lot of good points, even if her comments to Andrea Smith were gratuitously insulting and hurtful..
    She could also ask herself "do I want to live past 60 as a miserable git"?

Also, being thin or the "proper" weight doesn't mean that you'll live past 60, or 40 for that matter.

Just saying.......!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭emanresu esrever

salmocab wrote: »
    Didn't watch the show but the large lady in the audience talking to katie, whoever she is, is a journalist and columnist, I know her and it was on my Facebook this morning so I had a quick look thru this thread to see what it was about, she was a plant for sure and if that wasn't made clear then it shows just how low that show has sunk and its lack of credibility.

wouldnt call her a plant as in a secret plant. She was clearly brought in to give a voice to people who are overweight and are disgruntled with Hpokins' attitude.

And most of those that are brought in by RTE to counterbalance in a debate are involved in media as RTE are hardly going to send out scouts to target overweight people on the street.

So i dont get your disgruntlement here!!

Also on a side note, Hopkins views with regard overweight people neexing to lose weight are obvious! Why are people crediting her for this! Next she will be claiming the sky is blue (debatable in Ireland!) or the Pope is Catholic.

It is the way she approaches it, her reasons to do so, her ignorance to the topic, her prejudice and vileness which is the issue.

Yes there are overweight people who are uninterested in changing their dietary regimes or exercise patterns but why are the media entertaining a vile, cretin of a troll who is out to raise her "status" and lacking any empathy in the subject nor to the sufferers when tackling the epidemic.

Get doctors on, health experts, nutrisionists, psychologists, not this YOKE in a human form. Look at other interviews with her and you will see what a witch she is. If its some sort of media persona built up to cash in on the lowering standard of what entertainment is evolving into, its a pretty sick one. If its the media taking advantage of what appears to be a mentally disfunctional "woman", thats even sicker.

Her points about a growing epidemic are obvipus not "good". Someone like that is not going to motivate people to take action in my opinion.

I suffer from epilepsy and when I started my tablets after being diagnosed at 18 i gained a little weight, as a side effect of medication, nothing significant as I play a lot of sport an am naturally slender, but not skinny. But it was noticeable to me and meant an increased exercise regime and a more disciplined diet! Which wasnt easy as i love my grub and never had any weight issues pre medication!

Subsequently i tore my ACL ( cruciate) which limited my exercise for almost a year, even more so i can empathise with anyone with weight issues and know there is more to it, in a lot of cases, than dietary indiscipline and lazy exercise attitude. Im a normal weight ( and always have been even when i was a few pounds heavier - weight is relative to your circumstances) but i would never judge anyone by their size.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,648 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

• Registered Users Posts: 54,727 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Also on a side note, Hopkins views with regard overweight people neexing to lose weight are obvious! Why are people crediting her for this! Next she will be claiming the sky is blue (debatable in Ireland!) or the Pope is Catholic.

Absolutely. All the posts making out how correct Hopkins is, as if we don't know. She said nothing of actual substance. You over eat and don't exercise and you will likely put on weight. My god, a 5 year old could tell you that, so what was this complete nobody doing on Ireland's premier chat show babbling this same point over and over, whilst throwing in the odd jibe to fat people? Only in Ireland could this happen. Tubridy and his crew are sad. They vet this and allow this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

"We love television because we have lost our faith in God"?

Time to change channel. Lunatic number two.

Ah, I was wrong about that. Michael Harding seemed like an interesting guy. A little eccentric though

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

walshb wrote: »
    Absolutely. All the posts making out how correct Hopkins is, as if we don't know. She said nothing of actual substance. You over eat and don't exercise and you will likely put on weight. My god, a 5 year old could tell you that, so what was this complete nobody doing on Ireland's premier chat show babbling this same point over and over, whilst throwing in the odd jibe to fat people? Only in Ireland could this happen. Tubridy and his crew are sad. They vet this and allow this.

Agree completely. The underlying issues she's addressing are correct but her attitude is simply appalling. There are far far better advocates of a healthy lifestyle than her. That clip they played of her crying whilst reading a list of food she has to eat and complaining that she "hates fat people for making me do this" is f*cking pathetic!

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭TomoBhoy

watched Nidge then looked at Bad Neighbours, I cant stand that egit they had on I'm not even going to write her name but Troll comes to mind.

• Advertisement

Ah, I was wrong about that. Michael Harding seemed like an interesting guy. A little eccentric though

Am I right in thinking that he's been on a few times already? Nice guy, bit out there, but we've heard it all before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭CountyHurler

Hitchens wrote: »
    She could also ask herself "do I want to live past 60 as a miserable git"?

Andrea Martin is perfectly entitled to say "I'm fat but I'm happy" if that's how she feels.. and she is fully entitled to live her life whatever way she pleases.. But I dont think it's a responsible thing to come on TV and try to normalize being obese.. Being obese is not something that people should aspire to.. It's not something that people should want for themselves and it is certainly nothing what they should want for their kids.. And by reciting her mantra "I'm fat but I'm happy" on national TV she encourages/permits other overweight people to abdicate themselves of responsibility for their obesity, and allows them to hide behind "I'm fat but I'm happy" instead of taking action.

Andrea Martin is perfectly entitled to say "I'm fat but I'm happy" if that's how she feels.. and she is fully entitled to live her life whatever way she pleases.. But I dont think it's a responsible thing to come on TV and try to normalize being obese.. Being obese is not something that people should aspire to.. It's not something that people should want for themselves and it is certainly nothing what they should want for their kids.. And by reciting her mantra "I'm fat but I'm happy" on national TV she encourages/permits other overweight people to abdicate themselves of responsibility for their obesity, and allows them to hide behind "I'm fat but I'm happy" instead of taking action.

Never once did she claim that she aspired to being overweight. She simply said she's happy. Not happy that she's fat, just happy. And, if she wants to remain that weight and size and feels it's ok for her then why should she feel the societal pressure to lose weight?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

I only watched the late late now on RTE player having heard about the controversy. I was fat, I was depressed because of it and I fully agree with Katie Hopkins, she's right, fat people are fat because they are lazy, I was fat but lost four stone to be regular size now. I met a girl this year and I have achieved much more in the last two years since losing weight than in my entire life. It was hard but I did it. Being fat should never be socially acceptable.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,982 ✭✭✭Hitchens

Stinicker wrote: »
    I only watched the late late now on RTE player having heard about the controversy. I was fat, I was depressed because of it and I fully agree with Katie Hopkins, she's right, fat people are fat because they are lazy, I was fat but lost four stone to be regular size now. I met a girl this year and I have achieved much more in the last two years since losing weight than in my entire life. It was hard but I did it. Being fat should never be socially acceptable.

well done for achieving your goal, but to say the bit in red is plain wrong, imo

Stinicker wrote: »
    It was hard but I did it. Being fat should never be socially acceptable.

So what is your solution to being fat? Ignore those who are fat? And what is fat? It can be subjective.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,872 ✭✭✭Sittingpretty

Just watched on the player.

Katie Hopkin's points are correct.

Her delivery however, is appalling.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,096 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

walshb wrote: »
    Never once did she claim that she aspired to being overweight. She simply said she's happy. Not happy that she's fat, just happy. And, if she wants to remain that weight and size and feels it's ok for her then why should she feel the societal pressure to lose weight?

Some people are annoyed when fat people say they are happy. They have huge disdain, dislike and sometimes hatred for fat people and think they're lazy slobs, unhealthy etc. The hatred for fat women is much greater than for fat men by the way. So when they say they are happy, this really pis*es off the haters out there.

Even a poster suggesting that some people will aspire to being fat is just beyond ridiculous and ignorant.

People who give out about fat people are often insecure about something in their owns lives.

Overweight people know they are overweight. That's not the problem. The nasty, judgemental, snobby, insecure attitude of many people is the problem, many of them on this thread.

Aspiring to be fat, heard it all now.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,648 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Some people are annoyed when fat people say they are happy. They have huge disdain, dislike and sometimes hatred for fat people and think they're lazy slobs, unhealthy etc. The hatred for fat women is much greater than for fat men by the way. So when they say they are happy, this really pis*es off the haters out there.

Even a poster suggesting that some people will aspire to being fat is just beyond ridiculous and ignorant.

People who give out about fat people are often insecure about something in their owns lives.

Overweight people know they are overweight. That's not the problem. The nasty, judgemental, snobby, insecure attitude of many people is the problem, many of them on this thread.

Aspiring to be fat, heard it all now.

:confused:
    I don't think anyone "suggested" that some people will aspire to being fat.

I think the problem was Katie Hopkins. Andrea Smith had no option but to answer back saying I am happy. Because if she acknowledged yeah I'm not happy with my weight and need to lose about 6-7 stone she was then agreeing with Katie Hopkins, how horrendous.
    Whereas someone else (Prof. Donal O'Shea) may have elicited a different response from Andrea Smith.

Seriously, I don't think you can deny what KH was saying about obesity being correct? But my god was she a b1tch about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,472 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Each to their own, don't care if someone is fat by decision or sheer laziness but it would irritate me sitting next to someone on a plane that due to their excessive chassis they were intruding in to my space. Have witnessed some people so large they would require a 2nd seat to allow those around them to travel in any degree of comfort. Perhaps the solution would be a mandatory 2nd seat for anyone with a waistline over 45 inches or a ban on them travelling by plane.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭purplecow1977

Nobody aspires to being fat.
    I think given a choice, an overweight person would obviously choose to be a normal & healthy weight.
    But it's not that easy.
    Yes overweight people have a choice. But there are several factors at play, and will power isn't something overweight people are generally blessed with.

In saying that, I know a girl who is size 16/18 and she has done 5k runs, 10k runs, even a half marathon. I know plenty of size 8s who couldn't manage that. For the majority, excess weight damages your health, but not always. I'm overweight but my blood pressure & my cholesterol were fine the last time I got checked. There may be other strains and pressures on my body that I wouldn't have if I lost weight, but it can be really difficult at times to do that and it's a vicious circle.

We have such a negative opinion on mental health (thankfully that's all changing) but I strongly believe overweight/over eating is psychological in many cases. I know all the information - eat less, move more etc but it just hasn't happened for me yet.

Katie Hopkins states she's trying to show how easy it is to lose weight but she's an ignorant, vile woman who has no tact or remorse for the things she says, because she says outrageous things to gain media attention.

Not one person denied that the core of her point was correct but the harsh manner in which she approached it was. It seems it's okay to insult and hurt people who are fat. And there are obviously people similar to her thinking posting here, which I find even more horrifying/disappointing.

amdublin wrote: »
    :confused:
    I don't think anyone "suggested" that some people will aspire to being fat.

I think the problem was Katie Hopkins. Andrea Smith had no option but to answer back saying I am happy. Because if she acknowledged yeah I'm not happy with my weight and need to lose about 6-7 stone she was then agreeing with Katie Hopkins, how horrendous.
    Whereas someone else (Prof. Donal O'Shea) may have elicited a different response from Andrea Smith.

Seriously, I don't think you can deny what KH was saying about obesity being correct? But my god was she a b1tch about it.

Countyhurler did about 4 posts ago.

Here. Stupid comment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭CountyHurler

Here. Stupid.

Being abusive is something that people shouldn't aspire to either... It's funny, you have more in common with Katie Hopkin than you would like to think...

Oh and I caught it before you edited it.. ;)

Here. Stupid comment.

I think it was a wrong use of language moreso. Maybe the writer will verify this. My guess is they meant that being overweight is not something someone shouldnt care about.
    I cant believe this troll has lowered us to be debating her views. To think our licence fee funded her appearance actually makes me ill. And twice in a few months.

I think it was a wrong use of language moreso. Maybe the writer will verify this. My guess is they meant that being overweight is not something someone shouldnt care about.
    I cant believe this troll has lowered us to be debating her views. To think our licence fee funded her appearance actually makes me ill. And twice in a femw months.

actually, my apologies. it seems he/she did mean what they said!! Sigh! Im sure Andrea Woke up one morning and said, I want to be overweight!

Being overweight is circmstancial, not some conscious effort to get bigger. It can be caused by ignorance, lack of self control, metabolism, medical problems, psychological problems or just carelessness and laziness but if you look up the definition of "aspire" im pretty sure it doesnt relate to the issue! Ive a medical condition (not overweight) which isnt normal for everyone but i am happy! Just because you have a physical ailment doent make you unhappy!

I agree with the poster. Stupid comment!

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/aspire

definition of aspire.....

Can you confirm if this is what you meant with relation to that journalist!

Here. Stupid comment.

Whut???

You that from that comment?? I think you're wwaaaaaay over thinking one sentence.

I agree though with ee. Too much discussion generated about mean troll and her silly agenda :(

• Advertisement

Being abusive is something that people shouldn't aspire to either... It's funny, you have more in common with Katie Hopkin than you would like to think...

Oh and I caught it before you edited it.. ;)

Abusive? What. It's my opinion. Your views are abusive. It's a stupid comment that anyone would aspire to being obese. Stupid beyond belief.

Advertisement