Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread V

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,212 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Gopperth's stock would still be very high in England. He was a machine in Newcastle during his time there, top points scorer in consecutive seasons. I think Goode was the onl It was mentioned on one of the podcasts (think it was Brian Moore) that bigger Premiership sides tried to lure him away several times. The fact that he has since been the starting outhalf at Leinster won't have diminished his market value at all.

vienne86 wrote: »
    He has been a good servant to Leinster and to rugby. He deserves to make a nice salary for the final part of his career. Apart from being a good solid 10, he doesn't seem to get injured - bit like Stringer in that - so there could be a few years left in his career.

He holds the cards, to be honest. I'm sure there are others that would be interested. If it was a year later, Quins would be all over him too, I reckon.

I'd be quite surprised if there wasn't one or two offers on the table from either France or Japan also. He could make some serious cash in Japan whilst being only a single flight from home.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Buer wrote: »
    He holds the cards, to be honest. I'm sure there are others that would be interested. If it was a year later, Quins would be all over him too, I reckon.

I'd be quite surprised if there wasn't one or two offers on the table from either France or Japan also. He could make some serious cash in Japan whilst being only a single flight from home.

A good 10 is a very marketable commodity in England and in France. And 300K from Wasps sounds like a good offer to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭crisco10

A good 10 is a very marketable commodity in England and in France. And 300K from Wasps sounds like a good offer to me.

Yup. He is toward the top of the pile of "2nd Class" outhalves, no doubt. Strong performances and record with Newcastle. Then has come to Leinster, won a league title scoring a whole bunch of points and is still starting when fit for us this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Flipper22

Has it been confirmed that Gopperth is going then?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,116 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Personally, I'd like to keep Jimmy and let Madigan go to Connacht to be the out-and-out 10.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

On a selfish note truthfully without a third choice 10 we ideally should be trying to keep all 3 with Madigan being a utility player. Some people may want him to be just a 10 but we just don't have the quality in our backs for him to be just a 10 and the playing time both Madigan and Gopperth are having to put in this season just isn't sustainable if we just swap Sexton for Gopperth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭former legend

Flipper22 wrote: »
    Has it been confirmed that Gopperth is going then?

Not confirmed, it was reported in The Rugby Paper last weekend.
    Neil3030 wrote:
    Personally, I'd like to keep Jimmy and let Madigan go to Connacht to be the out-and-out 10.

It's mad how often Connacht keeps popping up in this discussion. Madigan won't go near them, even if Gopperth stays on.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

It's mad how often Connacht keeps popping up in this discussion. Madigan won't go near them, even if Gopperth stays on.

If by the end of the season Connacht can stay in the top half of the league it be a different story but I think Madigan would be looking at a pretty decent offer in England/France if he chose to leave Leinster. It depends how much he values his international career I suppose. We don't exactly exclude players who play outside Ireland but I think any 50/50 calls will go to the Irish based player.

I don't think Madigan will leave Leinster though.

• Administrators Posts: 53,648 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

He has another year on his contract, no?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

Yep, another year anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭SaveOurLyric

Neil3030 wrote: »

I'd keep them both.
    Mads to Con would be madness from his point of view. And probably Irish rugby's as well. Surely playing in a top level team against the top competition is what he needs, not stepping down to lower grade team mates and being out of the european cup.
    And for Leinster, they are a long way from solving the centre change of the guard. Madigan is a serious option there.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

I think Noel Reid will be Leinster's 12 next season, assuming D'Arcy retires.
    On a selfish note truthfully without a third choice 10 we ideally should be trying to keep all 3 with Madigan being a utility player. Some people may want him to be just a 10 but we just don't have the quality in our backs for him to be just a 10 and the playing time both Madigan and Gopperth are having to put in this season just isn't sustainable if we just swap Sexton for Gopperth.

If £300k is indeed on the table for Wasps then there's no way Leinster can match that. Aside from that would you really want Leinster spending the same wages when Gopperth could be third choice next year?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭Quint2010

I think Noel Reid will be Leinster's 12 next season, assuming D'Arcy retires.

If £300k is indeed on the table for Wasps then there's no way Leinster can match that. Aside from that would you really want Leinster spending the same wages when Gopperth could be third choice next year?

If he can get €380k a year in England good luck to him. Dont think he is worth that personally. I think he's been kind of patchy for Leinster in his time here. While his execution his quite good his decision making is poor enough and his goal kicking not quite up to scratch.

Not too sure where the idea that his goal kicking isn't up to scratch came from?

He was very slightly higher than Madigan last season (around 79% I think) and, off the top of my head, he's something like 5 from 6 this season.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,378 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Not too sure where the idea that his goal kicking isn't up to scratch came from?

He was very slightly higher than Madigan last season (around 79% I think) and, off the top of my head, he's something like 5 from 6 this season.

i would just think its based on short memories.

Madigans return this season is excellent which is keeping Jimmy away from the tee, but last season, as you say, jimmys return was better.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭armchaircoach

His kicking stats will look good as he will never be allowed have a bad kicking game(ie the kicking tee will be given to madds, and vice versa)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭Quint2010

What I mean is he has the tendency to miss straightforward goal kicks. Am think of Glasgow this year in particular. Missed one in the first half that essentially cost us the game.

Quint2010 wrote: »
    What I mean is he has the tendency to miss straightforward goal kicks. Am think of Glasgow this year in particular. Missed one in the first half that essentially cost us the game.

Ah, there were a lot of things that cost us that game, Gopperth's goal kicking was not one. That's like blaming Sexton for not beating NZ last year.

He's a very good kicker.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,116 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

I think people are being a bit harsh on Connacht here.

In Madigan's eyes, he is a 10. And if he stays at Leinster he will be a 22.

So if he wants to cut it as a 10, he needs to leave Leinster next season. And Irish rugby would be very well serviced, having Marmion, Henshaw, Madigan and Aki playing together consistently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭LostArt

Sure Marmion will be at Leinster by then anyway.

His kicking stats will look good as he will never be allowed have a bad kicking game(ie the kicking tee will be given to madds, and vice versa)

Last season, they rarely shared the pitch. Whoever started outhalf was kicking the goals so both had some bad games last season. When they did share the field, whoever started kicking continued to do so, generally.

LostArt wrote: »
    Sure Marmion will be at Leinster by then anyway.

It will lead to a meltdown but, if Connacht fail to gain ECC rugby in the next two seasons, I think Marmion will very strongly consider an offer from the other provinces.

I expect Reddan to sign on for another season at the end of which Marmion's contract will be coming to an end.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭LostArt

It will lead to a meltdown but, if Connacht fail to gain ECC rugby in the next two seasons, I think Marmion will very strongly consider an offer from the other provinces.

I expect Reddan to sign on for another season at the end of which Marmion's contract will be coming to an end.

Yep, I would be very surprised if Leinster didn't make him an offer when Reddan retires.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Leinster would do well to try to get their hands on Marmion. Our first and second choice are getting on a bit, and in the case of Boss, some of the performances have been poor. Unless McGrath learns to pass properly, we will be in urgent need of a scrum half......of course there is Cooney, who seems to be back in action with Terenure and Connacht. He needs a good run without injuries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

I'd rather not get Marmion. If we are in the market for a scrum-half, there will surely be better ones available after the world cup. And I'd rather Marmion stay put at Connacht. Which he has chosen to do as his contract extends to 2016.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Leinster would do well to try to get their hands on Marmion. Our first and second choice are getting on a bit, and in the case of Boss, some of the performances have been poor. Unless McGrath learns to pass properly, we will be in urgent need of a scrum half......of course there is Cooney, who seems to be back in action with Terenure and Connacht. He needs a good run without injuries.

Would definitely like to see more of Cooney, hes quick and strong with a nice pass, he could surely be turned into a good Pro12 standard player at the very least

Sorry to be a downer, but I'd be surprised if Cooney makes it to Pro12 standard. He's always looked OK but he seems to have fallen off the face of the earth over in Connacht and is now behind Porter and Blade in the pecking order. I know he was injured at the start of the season but AFAIK he's been fit for a good while now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

In fairness Connacht are probably more inclined to go with players like Porter and Blade on the bench who are there for more than one year rather than go with Cooney who is a short term loan. I'd say as the season goes on and the pressure starts to mount they'll use Cooney a bit more. I think they took him in because they were preparing for the possibility of Marmion being away on international duty. Cooney is definitley Pro 12 standard and he's shown that with Leinster.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Stainalert

Hagz wrote: »
    In fairness Connacht are probably more inclined to go with players like Porter and Blade on the bench who are there for more than one year rather than go with Cooney who is a short term loan. I'd say as the season goes on and the pressure starts to mount they'll use Cooney a bit more. I think they took him in because they were preparing for the possibility of Marmion being away on international duty. Cooney is definitley Pro 12 standard and he's shown that with Leinster.

Cooney much better than Porter - no comparison. Would be foolish for Connacht to show loyalty to an inferior player - no room for that in professional game. Cooney just needs a run of games to show what he can do. If Connacht are not prepared to play him than they should never have requested transfer in first place. Waste of everyone's time. Gilsenan last season was similar.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement