Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread V

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭armchaircoach

Hagz wrote: »
    And Te'o is a proper 13? He's no more a 13 than Fergus McFadden, Gordon D'Arcy or even Rob Kearney. Not trying to be pessimistic, but I think it's a little premature to be talking about him in terms of the RCC. Let him play more than 14 mins of a Pro12 game first.

The whole succession at 13 has been badly managed. BOD flagged his retirement a year in advance, and the response was to take a massive gamble on a league convert who would miss all preseason and the first 3rd of the season. The other option is D'Arcy, who they had to know would be with Ireland and rested for long periods (especially in a world cup season)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

And Te'o is a proper 13? He's no more a 13 than Fergus McFadden, Gordon D'Arcy or even Rob Kearney. Not trying to be pessimistic, but I think it's a little premature to be talking about him in terms of the RCC. Let him play more than 14 mins of a Pro12 game first.

Of course he is not a proper 13......but we're in a right jam and need anyone who can make any sort of a fist of playing outside centre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

vienne86 wrote: »
    Of course he is not a proper 13......but we're in a right jam and need anyone who can make any sort of a fist of playing outside centre.

What's wrong with Gordon D'Arcy? Or Fergus McFadden? Personally they would be much higher on my list than Ben Te'o. Hopefully that will change though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,449 ✭✭✭Heroditas

What's wrong with Gordon D'Arcy? Or Fergus McFadden? Personally they would be much higher on my list than Ben Te'o. Hopefully that will change though.

I'd have Luke ahead of all of them

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭RoundBox11

I am 100% sure he has been training with the Irish squad. So have Jordan Coghlan, Gavin Thornbury, Jack Dwan, Jeremy Loughman, Cormac Brennan and several others.

Anyone see much of Thornbury lately? Seems to have a lot of potential but I haven't heard anything for a while

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭the baby bull elephant

What has happened to Tadhg Beirne?

RoundBox11 wrote: »
    Anyone see much of Thornbury lately? Seems to have a lot of potential but I haven't heard anything for a while

He's started every game in the B&I cup and for UCD in the AIL. I watched him play in the 'A' friendly v Munster and he put in a good shift. I'd be nearly certain he'll get a development contract.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭former legend

Did I say he was? You quoted my post then deleted all the bits where I acknowledged that we don't know what he'll be like...

D'Arcy is not an RCC-level 13 and never will be. McFadden is not an RCC-level 13 and never will be. Te'o is not a 13 yet but he could become one. I think it's worth a punt because the Madigan-D'Arcy midfield might get us through the group stages but no further.

Did I say he was? You quoted my post then deleted all the bits where I acknowledged that we don't know what he'll be like...

D'Arcy is not an RCC-level 13 and never will be. McFadden is not an RCC-level 13 and never will be. Te'o is not a 13 yet but he could become one. I think it's worth a punt because the Madigan-D'Arcy midfield might get us through the group stages but no further.

I just have no idea what you're basing your opinion on. You say that D'Arcy and McFadden will never be RCC level 13s, but Te'o could be. Based on what exactly? How many times did he touch the ball on Friday? How much was he tested? If you acknowledge that we don't know what he'll be like, then how exactly do we need him? Saying that we need him suggests that he is a vital component in our team. How? It would be great if he could get some rugby under his belt and be available by the time the back to back rounds start, but I don't think we need him. Not any more than we need Brendan Macken or Colm O'Shea.

Personally I think D'Arcy and McFadden are RCC level 13's. There are plenty of 13's in the RCC who are worse then them, and given that you can only judge them on the standard of the other 13's in the RCC then I think it's fair to say that they are at that level. They are two players who have lined out internationally at 13 yet they will never be RCC level 13's whereas Ben Te'o who has never played 80 mins of professional rugby in any position can be? It's just confusing, that's all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭former legend

I just have no idea what you're basing your opinion on. You say that D'Arcy and McFadden will never be RCC level 13s, but Te'o will be.
    I didn't say that at all. I didn't. You're ascribing arguments to me that I didn't make.
    Based on what exactly? How many times did he touch the ball on Friday? How much was he tested? If you acknowledge that we don't know what he'll be like, then how exactly do we need him? Saying that we need him suggests that he is a vital component in our team. How? It would be great if he could get some rugby under his belt and be available by the time the back to back rounds start, but I don't think we need him. Not any more than we need Brendan Macken or Colm O'Shea.

Personally I think D'Arcy and McFadden are RCC level 13's. There are plenty of 13's in the RCC who are worse then them, and given that you can only judge them on the standard of the other 13's in the RCC then I think it's fair to say that they are at that level. They are two players who have lined out internationally at 13 yet they will never be RCC level 13's whereas Ben Te'o who has never played 80 mins of professional rugby in any position can be? It's just confusing, that's all.

I'll clarify. D'Arcy and McFadden could "do a job" at 13 in the RCC. There are plenty of 13s in the RCC who are worse than them. BUT they are not good enough to bring Leinster to the top table of the competition. Are they up there with Bastareaud, Davies, Fritz?

They're just not. And playing D'Arcy at 13 deprives us of our best 12. So we need an alternative if we're to have any chance of improving on last year.

As I've said repeatedly, I don't know if Te'o is the answer, but I'd rather we crash and burn trying something that might work rather than shuffling out timidly trying something we know won't.

• Advertisement

D'Arcy is OK at 13, but I'd much rather we had him at 12. McFadden is OKish at 13. Leinster need better at 13. Te'o may or may not fill the gap, but we have a gap.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

The whole succession at 13 has been badly managed. BOD flagged his retirement a year in advance, and the response was to take a massive gamble on a league convert who would miss all preseason and the first 3rd of the season. The other option is D'Arcy, who they had to know would be with Ireland and rested for long periods (especially in a world cup season)

It was a very difficult situation to manage though.

O'Malley and Macken would have been the in house replacements but EOM had to retire at the start of last season. Luke Fitz was another in house replacement but he has injury problems.

When you look for an outside replacement a year out from the RWC it's going to be tough. Munster had to do this and brought in Andrew Smith, not a big name and also a bit of a risk as he's unknown.

I didn't say that at all. I didn't. You're ascribing arguments to me that I didn't make.

It was a typo which I fixed.....

It was supposed to say could not would...

Hence why at the end of my post I said can be and not will be.
    I'll clarify. D'Arcy and McFadden could "do a job" at 13 in the RCC. There are plenty of 13s in the RCC who are worse than them. BUT they are not good enough to bring Leinster to the top table of the competition. Are they up there with Bastareaud, Davies, Fritz?

If they were to play at 13 consistently yes. I believe they could be "up there" with the players you've mentioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

What has happened to Tadhg Beirne?
    Out with long term hip(?) injury AFAIK

• Registered Users Posts: 5,916 ✭✭✭jacothelad

vienne86 wrote: »
    D'Arcy is OK at 13, but I'd much rather we had him at 12. McFadden is OKish at 13. Leinster need better at 13. Te'o may or may not fill the gap, but we have a gap.

Macken sometimes looks as if he is going to make it and then at others doesn't seem to know how to pass. It's a pity he is not directly under the coaching of Schmidt. Macken has really good pace. (It's a pity we can't transplant that bit of him into Darren Cave who is a proper 13 skill wise) Macken is also a big unit. Maybe like Reid he will blossom a little late. There is also the option to sign Payne.:D:D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭ktulu123

Tickets for the Quins & Munster away games went on sale earlier. Got 2 for Quins & 4 for Munster, anyone else heading to either?

• Administrators Posts: 53,506 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Fair play to anyone who can be arsed with a trek to Limerick on Stephens day.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,216 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

yep, heading down to thomond !!! making a night of it down there

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Stephen's Day beers anyone? ;)

Stephen's Day beers anyone? ;)

You wearing your Leinster jersey down?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

His The Vange Pyjamas!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

His The Vange Pyjamas!

Nah, his Leo Cullen ones more like. He still talks about our Leo in the same hushed tones as a certain prop from Cappamore. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,603 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Tox56 wrote: »
    Is he really that good? He was very good in the JWC in fairness but that kind of came out of nowhere and he was pretty average when he played in the 6 nations. He's got talent but he didn't seem stand out

There was a discussion earlier on Ringrose. He seems to have impressed in camp. Only 19 but good news.

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/international/tommy-bowe-impressed-by-classy-garry-ringrose-1.1987495?page=1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭The Pheasant2

Yeah The Score ran a similar article

http://thescore.thejournal.ie/gerry-ringrose-ireland-training-ucd-1761932-Nov2014/

hopefully they're not heaping too much on him

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

No it will the same jersey that I wore at the last derby.

Maybe I'll get new JH pyjamas. Unfortunately Tommy Hilfiger and Hugo Boss' shops are out of them. Selling like hot cakes.

Let's hope that Ringrose is the real deal in years to come This is a real good news story, but let's not rush to conclusions yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Madigan to transfer to Quinns after Christmas, confirmed by LR!! See pic below

327406.jpg

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I was driving through Ballsbridge the day of the Wasps game and that jersey looks to have sold fairly well, it was fairly prominent in the crowds going to the game that day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭conf101

CatFromHue wrote: »
    I was driving through Ballsbridge the day of the Wasps game and that jersey looks to have sold fairly well, it was fairly prominent in the crowds going to the game that day.

I wasn't a fan when it came out but I have to admit it's really grown on me. I really like it now.

• Advertisement

conf101 wrote: »
    I wasn't a fan when it came out but I have to admit it's really grown on me. I really like it now.

Exactly what I was thinking - it looks better in real life than in the pics. Won't buy one though.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement