Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread V

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

sydthebeat wrote: »
    FYP :(:(:(:(:(:(:(

Well, that's what I was thinking really, but don't want to say it.....yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭ssaye2

http://thescore.thejournal.ie/ireland-injuries-darcy-kearney-ross-1751728-Oct2014/

Leinster wing Darragh Fanning and Munster wide man Andrew Conway have been added to the squad on a temporary basis this week as cover, although both players will return to their provinces tomorrow.

Leinster duo Rob Kearney [back spasms] and Mike Ross [groin] continue to rehab their injuries, and the hope is that they will be available to train fully next week.

Centre Gordon D’Arcy came off with a groin injury during Leinster’s win over Castres on Sunday, and the IRFU state that he “has been assessed and will be managed over the coming days.”

Finally, Leinster looseheadJack McGrath took part in the training session at Carton House earlier today and has shown no ill effects around a previously troublesome calf muscle.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Buer wrote: »
    Dave Kearney? He's a year younger than Morris who never really delivered for Leinster at all (4 starts ever).

We were never going to produce many back 3 players in the past 3 or 4 years mainly because there was no place for them. Kearney, Nacewa, McFadden and Fitzgerald had the first choice spots absolutely nailed down. There was no room at the inn.

Then Dave Kearney broke through with guys like Fionn Carr (the only one I would rather didn't get as much game time) and Madigan getting appearances in the back 3. Andrew Conway came on the scene but was impatient. He'd be getting a lot of game time in his home province if he had stayed and must be wondering what may have been.

There's hardly been a load of back row spots up for grabs the last few years though either and we've been churning those out to beat the band. In the last 2-3 years the only back three players we've really produced have been Dave Kearney, Morris, Conway, Hudson and now SCM. Of those how many are HEC level really? Compare that to our front row and back row.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,379 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Tox56 wrote: »
    Well in fairness Conway has just got an Ireland call up after starting H Cup games for Munster

not really sure what the point is here, Fanning also got a call up and its very arguable that if conway was still at leinster he would be in fannings spot.....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

sydthebeat wrote: »
    not really sure what the point is here, Fanning also got a call up and its very arguable that if conway was still at leinster he would be in fannings spot.....

Well yeah exactly, I don't think his situation would be much different at all if he'd stayed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Eat My Point

I don't think the number of players you produce for each position is directly related to the quality of your academy or the number of first team opportunities going in each position...surely a lot of it is still down to what talented youngsters and what body types are around?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,212 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Tox56 wrote: »
    Well in fairness Conway has just got an Ireland call up after starting H Cup games for Munster

And that's great for the guy (but it's exceptional circumstances and he's only really providing a body for training). But that must have seemed a long way off even a couple of months ago. He was very sparsely used last season (not a single appearance in Europe and 9 starts in the Pro12).

With how much game time he was getting before he departed and our subsequent injuries, I think he would have expected at least 9 starts last season if he had stayed and potentially a lot more.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Dave Kearney is a good player, very solid pro, and did well for Ireland- won a 6N, you can't really complain about that.

But he's just not on the level of some of the backs Leinster were producing before- obviously that's a very very high standard- I mean compared to his brother or Luke Fitz, who are/were potentially world class.

Conway was a big prospect when he was at U-20 level, very exciting player, same with Macken... neither have really delivered to their full potential yet.

Noel Reid is making his breakthrough now, some people had written him off a bit, but he's come along nicely in the past 12 months.

Luke McGrath is possibly the current big hope, before players like Brewer, Dardis, etc. are accepted into the academy.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,116 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

If John Giles knew what rugby was, he'd love Darragh Fanning.

"Honesty of effort, Bill"

• Registered Users Posts: 24,212 ✭✭✭✭Buer

molloyjh wrote: »
    There's hardly been a load of back row spots up for grabs the last few years though either and we've been churning those out to beat the band. In the last 2-3 years the only back three players we've really produced have been Dave Kearney, Morris, Conway, Hudson and now SCM. Of those how many are HEC level really? Compare that to our front row and back row.

I don't think you can compare the back row to the back three. You will always experience multiple knocks and injuries in the back row. It's possibly the most injury afflicted area of any team where players need to be rotated and rested.

We've produced two back row players really in that time that are up to standard: Murphy and Ruddock (we've lots of potential stars but they can't be considered successes by any stretch). Ryan went 3 years between HEC appearances and is only there now because three opensides are injured.

With RK, Fitz, Nacewa, Kirchner and McFadden it was near impossible for players to make the team. Due to injury and the departure of Nacewa, we've managed to bring one of those guys through to become a starter for Ireland in DK. Conway was starting in the HEC and Amlin Cup final for us also. He left and we went back to square one in identifying the back up winger to the stars.

I really don't think the back three is a concern for us. We've gone through a completely bizarre injury crisis with Fitz, McFadden, Rob Kearney and Dave Kearney all injured simultaneously and we've come through it pretty well.

• Advertisement

Have to agree that the back three situation isn't that bad for Leinster. I've heard a lot of Leinster fans complaining about Morris and Conway being allowed to leave and now having to play Fanning and Mcgrath but hindsight is a great thing. Should Leinster have dropped players like Nacewa and Fitzgerald when they were fit and available for players like Conway thus weakening the team in the short term to help them prepare for a time in the future when they would have an unimaginably long list of injured/departed back 3 players?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭19543261

Fireball07 wrote: »
    Dave Kearney is a big arse
    I'll buy you a pint if you pretend to like Dave for the next three years.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

I'm very worried about Darce's injury now. He's the key to leinster and Ireland's success right now.

Absolutely, I'd like to see him play at 12 with Henshaw at 13 and at 13 with Olding at 12, with the longterm plan being Olding and Henshaw. They could both learn so much from playing with him. Hopefully it's not too serious

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭former legend

I never want to see D'Arcy play 13 for Ireland. No no no.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

19543261 wrote: »
    I'll buy you a pint if you pretend to like Dave for the next three years.

I like Dave... I mean I don't know him personally, but he's a fine player. It's not an insult to say he's not world class or as good as Luke Fitz.

He's a great player to have in a team.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,154 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Well he did win 6N Player of the Tournament at 13 for Ireland....

Sangre wrote: »
    Well he did win 6N Player of the Tournament at 13 for Ireland....

O'Driscoll was 13, they switched in and out for attacking plays but D'Arcy was the 12.

And that was ten years ago, he's our best 12, and it only delays finding a real 13. I can't think of any reason why it would be a good idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭Clearlier

O'Driscoll was 13, they switched in and out for attacking plays but D'Arcy was the 12.

And that was ten years ago, he's our best 12, and it only delays finding a real 13. I can't think of any reason why it would be a good idea.

I tend towards agreeing but the original post read as if there was a problem with D'Arcy playing 13 when I suspect that most of us think that he could do a pretty good job in either role.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭the baby bull elephant

I can't think of any reason why it would be a good idea.

The big one would probably be to play Olding at 12 with an experienced player.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,650 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Clearlier wrote: »
    I tend towards agreeing but the original post read as if there was a problem with D'Arcy playing 13 when I suspect that most of us think that he could do a pretty good job in either role.

There is a problem with him starting at 13. There is no longevity in D'Arcy, someone has to make that jersey their own and to do that they need games.

Ideally we'd have had someone with decent experience at 13 to follow BOD but we have nobody really. There is no point replacing one old hand with another old hand which will just compound the problem.

The big one would probably be to play Olding at 12 with an experienced player.

Against Georgia I'd say we'd be ok with a new centre partnership.

Finding out what the 13 options are like is way too important to waste a game with D'Arcy there.

Edit: just realised this is the Leinster thread

Why not? He's a decent option there, and solid. Won't get caught out in defence and can fix a defender.

.ak wrote: »
    Why not? He's a decent option there, and solid. Won't get caught out in defence and can fix a defender.

Decent and solid is not what we're looking for, but it's not really about D'Arcy's ability. See above for more.

• Administrators Posts: 53,650 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

D'Arcy can do a job at 13. We know that, so what's the point in playing him there now?

Do we really want a situation where we go into the 6N and the WC with no real 13 having nailed down the shirt?

Also whilst I sit here in my Ivory tower in Manhattan I remind myself I am a benevolent overlord, and must show thyself to be so.

So basically first person to PM me gets a cushty Anglesea seat for the Edinburgh game for free. First come first serve.

Am I not merciful?

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Don't take .ak's shilling. Don't do it.

awec wrote: »
    D'Arcy can do a job at 13. We know that, so what's the point in playing him there now?

Do we really want a situation where we go into the 6N and the WC with no real 13 having nailed down the shirt?

No one wants that, but it may come to that. None of the pretenders have impressed there.

Until collie o Shea decides to give it a go. Right now he's just enjoying some r&r like a boss.

Don't take .ak's shilling. Don't do it.

Did I mention you can throw rotten fruit/veg at thomond from this seat?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

.ak wrote: »
    Also whilst I sit here in my Ivory tower in Manhattan I remind myself I am a benevolent overlord, and must show thyself to be so.

So basically first person to PM me gets a cushty Anglesea seat for the Edinburgh game for free. First come first serve.

Am I not merciful?

I usually try not to repeat myself but....
    molloyjh wrote: »
    E0O9M.gif

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement