Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Supermac's food on a plate

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭wuzziwig

Their chicken wrap with garlic mayo is far superior in Supermacs to the equivalent in McD's. Supermacs curry sauce is lovely. Lots of MSG goodness!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,170 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Yamanoto wrote: »
    I get to the States quite a bit & I'll often release the inner fat guy by going outta my way to sample various neighbourhood spots featured on Diners, Drive-In's & Dives. I'm also partial to a bit of Wendy's, Red Robin or In N' Out burger, all of whom eclipse the big two when it comes to the quality of their calorific goodness.

But the appeal of Supermacs remains an utter mystery to me. Disgusting would be too strong a word, but I find their food tastes cheap, unpleasant & to my palate at least, some way below that offered by their competitors in the Irish market.

I'll agree with you on the burgers but not sure what you're raving about when it comes to the chips. Wendy's fries are consistently terrible, also their burgers aren't far behind...the beef tastes under-cooked even though it's not.

Red Robin, I can't argue with. Much better than any fast food chain in Ireland for burgers but then it's not a fast food chain either so I'm not sure you can compare it.

In N' Out burger is another one I don't get. The burgers are alright, better than Supermacs for sure. I get that they chop up fresh vegetable on site and they are made to order. But it's not the best burger, not even the best fast food burger here. For example, SmashBurger kicks the crap out of it, I think Five Guys is even slightly better. Ditto for FatBurger and Whataburger. But more on point, the In N' Out fries are feckin terrible!!

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭SkyBlueClouds

wuzziwig wrote: »
    Their chicken wrap with garlic mayo is far superior in Supermacs to the equivalent in McD's. Supermacs curry sauce is lovely. Lots of MSG goodness!!

Oooh you can't beat that curry sauce alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,727 ✭✭✭lertsnim

http://supermacs.ie/menuproduct/10oz-burger/

This was a god send after a night on the beer in Galway. It was unreal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Remmy

Back in secondary school I used to always get their smokey bacon burger. May get one soon.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

cournioni wrote: »
    People really need to get over this fear/hatred of Supermacs. As fast food goes, its no better or worse than any other. Dublin folk in particular have this problem for whatever reason.

I think I speak on behalf of many of us when I say we are deeply, deeply sorry for having taste buds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

Wompa1 wrote: »
    I'll agree with you on the burgers but not sure what you're raving about when it comes to the chips. Wendy's fries are consistently terrible, also their burgers aren't far behind...the beef tastes under-cooked even though it's not.

Wendy's fries are great in my experience - always crisp & fried with the skins still on.

The 'Baconator' is also a beast of a burger, well above average for a fast food joint.
    Red Robin, I can't argue with. Much better than any fast food chain in Ireland for burgers but then it's not a fast food chain either so I'm not sure you can compare it.

Agreed on both counts.
    In N' Out burger is another one I don't get. The burgers are alright, better than Supermacs for sure. I get that they chop up fresh vegetable on site and they are made to order. But it's not the best burger, not even the best fast food burger here. For example, SmashBurger kicks the crap out of it, I think Five Guys is even slightly better. Ditto for FatBurger and Whataburger. But more on point, the In N' Out fries are feckin terrible!!

I see there's a SmashBurger near where I get to, so may give that a try. I think the problem some folks have with In N'Out is the cult status afforded it by its regular clientele - it's good without doubt, but it's not the second coming of Christ.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Don't get all the hate for Supermacs on here. I find their food far superior to McDonalds & Burger king. Definately when it comes to chips anyhow.

Yamanoto wrote: »
    Wendy's fries are great in my experience - always crisp & fried with the skins still on.

The 'Baconator' is also a beast of a burger, well above average for a fast food joint.

Agreed on both counts.

I see there's a SmashBurger near where I get to, so may give that a try. I think the problem some folks have with In N'Out is the cult status afforded it by its regular clientele - it's good without doubt, but it's not the second coming of Christ.

If I ever go to Wendys, I get the Bacanator too but there's something up with the beef they use. It has an after taste to it..but maybe I've just got a sensitive palette. In N' Out burger is Anthony Bourdain and Bill Gates favorite, again maybe I'm missing something. I guess it's pretty unfounded for a fast food place to employ people soley for the purpose of cleaning and chopping up fresh vegetable and they don't freeze, it's meant to be all fresh.

SmashBurger is very different, to me at least. They press down on their burgers on the grill. So the grease and shote actually drains from the burger, which makes it a little more dry but they season it a bit more. So to me it's actually got more flavor to it and is less fast food-y

Billy86 wrote: »
    I think I speak on behalf of many of us when I say we are deeply, deeply sorry for having taste buds.

HeHe, it's just funny how taste buds seem to be different in Dublin :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Packrat

Another country person here who thinks Supermacs food is rank. The chips as mentioned are greasy and limp, - as if steamed.
    Their burgers are imo pure dried processed vomit.

How anyone can prefer their food to BK or even McDs is a mystery to me.

Oh, and I'm well aware what goes into the other two's food is no better, but at least it tastes ok while you're eating it.

“The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command”

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Macavity.

Supermacs is far superior to McDonalds but lacks their cheap deals. I have seen the plate phenomenon old people before and it shocked me.

HeHe, it's just funny how taste buds seem to be different in Dublin :)
    It must be something to do with mushy chips that turn into a bowl of mash after a short few minutes, or burgers that taste like they came straight from a Big Al's packet I guess. Not necessarily worse than McDonald's or Burger King, but at least those two are generally cheaper and don't give you a bowl of mush to go with your burger when you're locked and just looking for anything to eat at 3am.

I'm a far bigger fan of a late night burrito though, much tastier and easier to walk and eat with than a burger and chips.

It must be something to do with mushy chips that turn into a bowl of mash after a short few minutes, or burgers that taste like they came straight from a Big Al's packet I guess. Not necessarily worse than McDonald's or Burger King, but at least those two are generally cheaper and don't give you a bowl of mush to go with your burger when you're locked and just looking for anything to eat at 3am.

I'm a far bigger fan of a late night burrito though, much tastier and easier to walk and eat with than a burger and chips.

Fair enough, though not so long ago you'd get a snack box in Supermacs cheaper than an average meal in McDonalds. Also, Personally I think Burger King is still more expensive.

Not a fan of Supermacs burgers. No problem with the chips though

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

Packrat wrote: »
    Another country person here who thinks Supermacs food is rank. The chips as mentioned are greasy and limp, - as if steamed.
    Their burgers are imo pure dried processed vomit.

Agreed, their chips are awful, there are plenty better chippers in any town or city where you can get proper chips. I get the feeling that their burgers are made from the cheapest meat (probably cows lips, bladders and hooves) possible.

Fair enough, though not so long ago you'd get a snack box in Supermacs cheaper than an average meal in McDonalds. Also, Personally I think Burger King is still more expensive.

Not a fan of Supermacs burgers. No problem with the chips though
    I wouldn't be so sure - McDonald's obviously don't do chicken pieces but I think it's about 7.50 for a 12 box of nuggets, chips and a drink. In Supermacs it's about 7.00 for two pieces of chicken and chips, but no drink. Best value there is in the chippers, but in the city centre while some choppers are really good others are absolute rank so it can be a big of a crap shoot, especially for people knew to the area of just up for the weekend.

I also think all the burgers are pretty awful for the three major chains, more than the odd time if I've been working in town and looking for a quick, cheap lunch I've been able to pick up on a strange, salty taste which I'm suspicious is MSG, because if I found a bit in that same burger that it was missing from, there was this inedible taste that made me think the meat was a year old. Exaggeration obviously, but it's all bad stuff (nothing wrong with going for it the odd time, though).

I'm telling you though, burritos are the way to go ;) . Much tidier than kebabs to eat because they are tighter wrapped and then put in foil, generally around €6-7 so the same price as the others give or take a few pennies, far more filling (they're absolutely packed) and help with the hangover much more in my opinion. It's surprising that they've taken so long to take off over here, they're basically the perfect drunk food, like an upgrade on the kebab. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,014 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

I'm telling you though, burritos are the way to go ;) . Much tidier than kebabs to eat because they are tighter wrapped and then put in foil, generally around €6-7 so the same price as the others give or take a few pennies, far more filling (they're absolutely packed) and help with the hangover much more in my opinion. It's surprising that they've taken so long to take off over here, they're basically the perfect drunk food, like an upgrade on the kebab. :D

Are you talking about Supermacs here? They have burritos now, new part of the chipper theyve opened similar to papa johns and the Sub sandwich section

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    Are you talking about Supermacs here? They have burritos now, new part of the chipper theyve opened similar to papa johns and the Sub sandwich section

Didn't actually know that, but the Papa John's stuff isn't too bad compared to some other pizza chains so the burritos might be worth a go if km stuck - one thing Supermacs have done very well us integrating other places into their premises, was in the main one in Galway over Paddy's weekend (f think it was Eyre Square but I was in no condition to be giving directions!) and they had a number of different options there. I was thinking mainly of Pablo Picante, it's about a one minute walk from the part of O'Connell Street with BK/McDonalds/Supermacs if you walk in the direction of the main square in Templebar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭Chocolate Lions

Boojum do lovely burritos. They don't open late though if you're looking for drunk food.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

Boojum do lovely burritos. They don't open late though if you're looking for drunk food.

Boojum is on another planet to Supermac's!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭Chocolate Lions

2ndcoming wrote: »
    Boojum is on another planet to Supermac's!

Ya but Supermacs aren't worse than any other chipper except for the price. They could be cheaper and they would be great. I remember when their portions were bigger too when I was a teenager. I used to get MASSIVE curry chips. Like they'd fill the whole box up that the plastic tray was in. There's nicer around but they're not worlds apart.

I think Dubs just like to take pot shots at something that is seen as having been established in rural Ireland and that is seen to support the GAA and that.

Anyway, I don't eat fast food much these days and when I do it's never McD's, Supermacs etc. but a local place instead.

Advertisement