Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Supermac's food on a plate

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Faolchu

While I'm asking Supermac's questions: can anyone who's worked there confirm what I've always suspected, that they raise the prices on Saturday nights after everyone's spilled out of the late bars and clubs and is too drunk to notice/convincingly argue?

for my sins i did a stint there 20+ years ago and yes for a time the prices on the registers changed after i think it was 11PM, or maybe midnight. But they were not the only place doing that. but that was as i say 20 odd years ago

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

I used to like Supermacs for a little while, then I saw yer wan behind the counter squirting the sauce on my chicken burger from what looked like a caulking gun. Put me right off...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,902 ✭✭✭✭anewme

I haven't been in Supermacs for years. Does the food still have the laxative effect? As I recall it went through the body fairly quickly.

My mad Mum (who is 68 years of age) says the same about MacDonalds. She sometimes gets a cheeseburger (which she calls a scutterburger)

Says its great for clearing you out if you are blocked up.

I'll often ring to see what she's at for the day, (keep an eye on the elderly old folk) and she'll say, Im off to MacDonalds, I need a dose of medicine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Rasheed

I can't understand how people prefer Burger King or McDonalds to Supermacs. Is there something wrong with ye? I can't even say that BK or McDs are rank, they're not. They taste of nothing at all, completely and totally bland with lumps of raw onions thrown in on their beef burger.

I like Supermacs, I like the Taco fries and the chicken fillet burger, but would still prefer the Italian chipper any day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

Supermacs is like the culinary wing of the GAA.

Declan Nerney in food form.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,889 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Sh*tty and Crappy Food at........Supermacs.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Rasheed wrote: »
    I can't understand how people prefer Burger King or McDonalds to Supermacs.
    Depends on what you are getting, I would prefer most McD or BK beef burgers over most supermac burgers.

I would also prefer McD or BK fries over supermac chips, they are very different things though and not really that comparable, I would not call McD or BK ones "chips", they are skinny lightweight fries. To me supermacs are like bog standard supermarket frozen "chips", or crap you might get from a van outside a football match.

Supermacs of course have proper chicken, usually unseen in BK or McDs. If I wanted chicken I would go to an italian style chipper if possible, as I would get proper unfrozen, twice cooked chips.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,646 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

When I was growing up my local wimpy served everything on a delph plate with proper cutlery. And knickerbockerglory's in tall glasses with long spoons.

Proper posh nosh.
    And let's not forget the fantastically named Bender in a Bun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

Ush1 wrote: »
    I used to like Supermacs for a little while, then I saw yer wan behind the counter squirting the sauce on my chicken burger from what looked like a caulking gun. Put me right off...

:pac:

The sauce is put into long, wide, plastic tubes with a small nozzle, and attached to a metal contraption that, when you press the handle, a bit of sauce comes out of the nozzle.

It's one of the only clean things in the place, so don't worry about it :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,141 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Supermacs 5oz. Bloody lovely.

• Advertisement

Supermacs is by far the best of the take aways. The smokey bacon burger is divine,I could eat the sauce with a spoon!! They did lovely breakfast rolls too in the one near a place I used to work, used to be in there most mornings for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

The sauce is put into long, wide, plastic tubes with a small nozzle, and attached to a metal contraption that, when you press the handle, a bit of sauce comes out of the nozzle.

It's one of the only clean things in the place, so don't worry about it :pac:

Yeah, I didn't know if she was gonna put sauce on my burger or seal up my doors and windows.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

I think Supermacs is getting unfair slack here. Their dressed fries are always delicious and their burgers are quite nice as well. I always found Supermacs a bit dear for what it is but it makes a nice treat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

thelad95 wrote: »
    I think Supermacs is getting unfair slack here. Their dressed fries are always delicious and their burgers are quite nice as well. I always found Supermacs a bit dear for what it is but it makes a nice treat.

I'm not big on fast food at all, but they're definitely getting unfair slack. I had Supermacs' 5oz burger a while back, and it resembled a proper burger. *shrug*

Perhaps they've raised their game & are worth a re-visit, but I was last in there about four years ago and had a cheeseburger & fries, both of which were just horrible - a limp & sorry bit of beef whose taste was immediately familiar to me, as t'was reminiscent of the St Bernard range of 1/4 pounders produced by Dunnes back in the late eighties.

As someone else mentioned above, there were also definite similarities with the kind of low-grade fare one would get from a 'side of the road' catering van on match days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Davarus Walrus

Nothing wrong with a breast of chicken and a large garlic and cheese chips out of Supermac's after an evening of quenching your thirst.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,248 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Links234 wrote: »
    I'm not big on fast food at all, but they're definitely getting unfair slack. I had Supermacs' 5oz burger a while back, and it resembled a proper burger. *shrug*

Flame grilled over turf. Nothing to bate it!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

I think Supermacs have upped their game actually. I have haunting memories of the pizza they used to serve before Papa Johns came on board, think it gave me food poisoning once.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Tarzana

Yamanoto wrote: »
    As someone else mentioned above, there were also definite similarities with the kind of low-grade fare one would get from a 'side of the road' catering van on match days.

Not really, Supermacs and other fast food joints burgers aren't great but my stomach doesn't have the visceral, sickening reaction to them that it has to burger van burgers.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

People really need to get over this fear/hatred of Supermacs. As fast food goes, its no better or worse than any other. Dublin folk in particular have this problem for whatever reason.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

cournioni wrote: »
    People really need to get over this fear/hatred of Supermacs. As fast food goes, its no better or worse than any other. Dublin folk in particular have this problem for whatever reason.

supermacs pretty much bog standard chipper food, us dubs what exotic flavours when we order fast food like flame grilled and big Mac sauce.

Perhaps they've raised their game & are worth a re-visit, but I was last in there about four years ago and had a cheeseburger & fries, both of which were just horrible - a limp & sorry bit of beef whose taste was immediately familiar to me, as t'was reminiscent of the St Bernard range of 1/4 pounders produced by Dunnes back in the late eighties.

So I popped into Supermacs on my way down to Cork on Friday last, to see if I was being overly harsh on their fare.

Ordered a 5oz. burger & chips for the taste test.

I'm not a fan of chips served in a plastic punnet tbh, as it tends to remind me of those sh1tty roadside catering vans that slop out crud at vastly inflated prices. Anyhoo, the chips were utterly flaccid, with not a hint of crispness about them - much as you'd get from a sh1tty roadside catering van so. Judging by their sweaty consistency, it's almost as if they'd been steamed as opposed to deep-fried. :confused:

The burger bun had been covered in salt for some reason & the patty itself had that unmistakably cheap quality you'll also pick up from own-brand supermarket quarter pounders. I get to the States quite a bit & I'll often release the inner fat guy by going outta my way to sample various neighbourhood spots featured on Diners, Drive-In's & Dives. I'm also partial to a bit of Wendy's, Red Robin or In N' Out burger, all of whom eclipse the big two when it comes to the quality of their calorific goodness.

But the appeal of Supermacs remains an utter mystery to me. Disgusting would be too strong a word, but I find their food tastes cheap, unpleasant & to my palate at least, some way below that offered by their competitors in the Irish market.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

I'm a non-Dub and would rather go hungry than eat at Supermacs, unless I'm very drunk and very very hungry.

Perhaps I'm just more used to the taste of McDs burgers.

Now, the pizza is another matter, I'd happily eat SuperMacs pizza sober.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭holystungun9

I barely use plates at home. The mice deal with th crumbs.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

To be fair the cod & chips in supermacs is quite good

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭lucylu

So I popped into Supermacs on my way down to Cork on Friday last, to see if I was being overly harsh on their fare.

Ordered a 5oz. burger & chips for the taste test.

I'm not a fan of chips served in a plastic punnet tbh, as it tends to remind me of those sh1tty roadside catering vans that slop out crud at vastly inflated prices. Anyhoo, the chips were utterly flaccid, with not a hint of crispness about them - much as you'd get from a sh1tty roadside catering van so. Judging by their sweaty consistency, it's almost as if they'd been steamed as opposed to deep-fried. :confused:

The burger bun had been covered in salt for some reason & the patty itself had that unmistakably cheap quality you'll also pick up from own-brand supermarket quarter pounders. I get to the States quite a bit & I'll often release the inner fat guy by going outta my way to sample various neighbourhood spots featured on Diners, Drive-In's & Dives. I'm also partial to a bit of Wendy's, Red Robin or In N' Out burger, all of whom eclipse the big two when it comes to the quality of their calorific goodness.

But the appeal of Supermacs remains an utter mystery to me. Disgusting would be too strong a word, but I find their food tastes cheap, unpleasant & to my palate at least, some way below that offered by their competitors in the Irish market.

Just wondering did you complain to Supermacs or did you wait to complain on Boards? If you just did the latter nothing will change.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Barely There

. Dublin folk in particular have this problem for whatever reason.

Christ, let's not turn this into a Dublin vs Rest of the Country debate,

I'm from the country and Supermacs is pretty awful imo, but not significantly worse than Burger King/MackyD's.
    If you eat in any of those places, you're going to be eating cheap processed ingredients cooked up by minimum-wage slaves.

I'd imagine that most people who claim to like this kind of food have destroyed their palates through over-indulgence or have a pretty poorly developed palate in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Say what you like about Supermacs, but their cheese and garlic chips can not be beaten.

lucylu wrote: »
    Just wondering did you complain to Supermacs or did you wait to complain on Boards? If you just did the latter nothing will change.

T'was a drive-thru on my way to Cork.

I'd imagine the majority of their patrons are happy enough with what it is they offer, so a single complaint of sweaty chips & a pedigree chum patty ain't likely to force a rethink at HQ.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,014 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

I think every large fast food chain is going to have plenty of detractors. The fact that its a family run company, growing so much in whats a highly competitive market means they must be doing something right. The owners are known as saints locally as well for all they give to local projects and charity, for the small amount thats worth.

Advertisement