Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cyclocross Season

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

RobFowl wrote: »
    Said that to her clearly,offered to show photos and even bring her on a tour around the any courses we've used but just stonewalled me.
    Very disappointing attitude tbh.
    Ni interest in fact was hostile to even the thought ......

Such a shame. Have you tried contacting a local councillor?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭nak

How about we start calling cross races duathlons instead. They're allowed in Phoenix Park.

The mayor in Belfast is a cyclist, so may help make life easier. The parks are also better equipt than anything around Dublin.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,840 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Alek wrote: »
    Anyone could give me a lift to Punchestown on 14th? I am based near Portobello.

(Ideally with my wife and kid, but not 100% necessary)

Train or bus to Naas? Might be a bit of a hack on the wee one. Dublin Bus do a bus from busarás at 10am on race days, there's NH racing on that day too isn't there? Would that be too late? Heads back to Dublin at 5. Depends on what times the first and last are off at.

gadetra wrote: »
    Train or bus to Naas? Might be a bit of a hack on the wee one. Dublin Bus do a bus from busarás at 10am on race days, there's NH racing on that day too isn't there? Would that be too late? Heads back to Dublin at 5. Depends on what times the first and last are off at.

B race is 11:30, so ideally you would be there for 10/10:30 for either race. Bus is not so easy for cyclocross racing; 2 of us fill a car/mini van with clothes, bikes, spare wheels, wellies etc and there is a good chance everything will be caked in mud for the return leg.

We use GoCar for local races, there are a few vehicles close to Portabello if you have a licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

Train or bus to Naas?

Might be difficult to get to Punchestown from Naas, if we get the trailer the overall logistics may get overwhelming (need to get to the station in Dublin, fold the trailer, tame the raging 2 year old, get on the train...etc...)
    2 of us fill a car/mini van with clothes, bikes, spare wheels, wellies

Wow :) I have no spares except for nappies ;-)
    if you have a licence

(Un)fortunately.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,093 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    There's usually more to it than that, and without knowing precisely, I would say it's the NIMBY's moaning to the local T.D/Councillor who then rings the park ranger.
    As I understand it there has been a change of personnel within the council and the new one simply has a different attitude to the old one. I know both McNally Swords and Velo Balrothery through Rob have been trying to get buy-in for some time now, but the main priority was to get the Nationals up and running.

Maybe a different approach is needed going forward. There are a couple of fields around where I live that have been used for grasstrack (motorbike) events in recent times - maybe we need to see if anyone will make some private land available as Fingal Council (who had been very co-operative previously) now don't seem to want to play ball

Alek wrote: »
    Might be difficult to get to Punchestown from Naas, if we get the trailer the overall logistics may get overwhelming (need to get to the station in Dublin, fold the trailer, tame the raging 2 year old, get on the train...etc...)

Wow :) I have no spares except for nappies.

Well we have no kids. Spare wheels are required as using tubs - 2 sets as one on discs and the other cantis. Warm up clothes, race clothes and post race clothes. Thankfullly no pit bikes or we may need a camper ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Beasty wrote: »
    maybe we need to see if anyone will make some private land available as Fingal Council (who had been very co-operative previously) now don't seem to want to play ball

There you have it, Private land is the way forward..Once you indemnify the owner against any claims. All that's needed is a couple of fields with reasonable terrain, and a place to park cars.

As the season comes into it's final stretch it could be something for clubs to look into for next season..

Something like what they did down in Cashel for the Muddy Cup CX run on some farm land: PICS

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Esroh

Lads my geography maybe a bit off but would Bellewstown Race Course be a possible venue . Not used for winter racing.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Esroh wrote: »
    Lads my geography maybe a bit off but would Bellewstown Race Course be a possible venue . Not used for winter racing.

Thats an idea !
    We are working on another option too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Esroh wrote: »

Drainage is very good, up there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

Eamonnator wrote: »
    Drainage is very good, up there.

So entirely unsuitable for cyclocross then. :-|

RobFowl wrote: »
    We are working on another option too

Well, if it doesn't work out for this season, it will be good to have potential venue's for next year, as well as building up relations with land owners etc for next year's season.

This weekend you have the Punchescross, next weekend is the Fixx Supercross, on St. Stephen's day there's a race on in Belfast.

2 Weeks after the one in Belfast you have the nationals.

People tend to move away from CX after the nationals and prepare for the Road and Mountain bike season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 umami

There you have it, Private land is the way forward..Once you indemnify the owner against any claims.

If CI approved event then land owner automatically indemnified by the federation cover, right?

umami wrote: »
    If CI approved event then land owner automatically indemnified by the federation cover, right?

CI have a public indemnity insurance policy which an event organiser would receive after submitting a risk assessment form a month before the event afaik..

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

CI have a public indemnity insurance policy which an event organiser would receive after submitting a risk assessment form a month before the event afaik..

Organiser pays something like 25 quid for it. It covers the land owners. I got one for Fingal when doing the Crossmarnock event the first year.

Get signed up for the Fixx SuperCross, final round!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭Ryath

Don't think this chap would complain about any cyclocross course, serious skills!

Any one hear ever take a cross bike around the likes of Ballyhoura. Still trying to decide on my BTW to get a MTB or cross bike.
    Was down there last week for first time and loved it.
    Saw Fran Meehan there on cross bike but think her skills may be a bit above my own!

Ryath wrote: »
    Any one hear ever take a cross bike around the likes of Ballyhoura.

Wouldn't say it's too much fun, a lot of sections where you could puncture or slide off with the narrower tyres, not to mention that the CX bike will be a lot less stable on the rough/downhill stuff...and harder on the bike in general..

• Registered Users Posts: 31,058 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Any one hear ever take a cross bike around the likes of Ballyhoura
    I took mine round Ballinastoe a few years back. There was a lot of crashing and bleeding.

• Advertisement

Any one hear ever take a cross bike around the likes of Ballyhoura. Still trying to decide on my BTW to get a MTB or cross bike.!

Cross bike is fine on the fire roads, use the ones around Hellfire club myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Redm0

I often ride my cross bike on lighter trails - they handle roots and loamy singletrack fine and its good fun, but once it get rocky they aren't tough enough and don't handle well. The coilte trails are not very nice on a cx bike

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

Took my CX bike down one of the trails on Three Rock. Basically slow, cumbersome and shaken to bits. Did it just out of curiosity to see what the trail was like. I wouldn't to it again.

Get ready for the "Step-Mound" and tricky remount after...:eek:

vnmnu1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭blobbie

Starting at 13.55 or there abouts.

Men’s Elite Race - 2014 Cyclo-cross World Cup - Heusden-Zolder, Belgium

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXXGGZ1x-yk

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭25sean

blobbie wrote: »
    Starting at 13.55 or there abouts.

Men’s Elite Race - 2014 Cyclo-cross World Cup - Heusden-Zolder, Belgium

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXXGGZ1x-yk

Vdh looking good...

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭blobbie

Going some pace - be interesting to see if he can maintain it for the next 20 mins

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭ba

Good shout. Caught the last two laps. Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭25sean

CX Mullingar... race on Tuesday 30th December

Anyone been up there? worth the trip?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭midonogh

25sean wrote: »
    CX Mullingar... race on Tuesday 30th December

Anyone been up there? worth the trip?

Mullingar is just down the road. Lads putting on a CX race, got to support them. I'll be heading down

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement