Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cyclocross Season

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭midonogh

Another great day out up North. Beautiful location, right up against the Belfast mountains
    As you would expect with Glendale the kids races were well attended with a very interesting twisty course through the woods. My two found it harder than usual but had a great time.

Definitely a very different course from others I have ridden. I had no technique for the off camber descent, but then nobody around me seemed to have either. Very, very muddy and as the laps went on my bike got heavier and heavier. On 3rd lap I dropped the bike on the drive side as I slid down the off camber descent. The as I was going up the small incline in the woods towards the end of the lap the chain clogged up in the cage and pulled the derailleur into the spokes. The tell tale sound of the mech hanger snapping brought an end to my day.

Its a course I would love to try again if it has not been torrentially rained on for 3 of the previous 4 days.

Great atmosphere, lots of supporters, abundance of tea and sandwiches. I believe it was the first event that Glendale had done and they went about it with great enthusiasm.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭DKO

It looked like an interesting course, look at this vid to see how to deal with off camber stuff, in case its not been seen before. It has it all this course. Hope the link works.

http://vimeo.com/110623675

• Registered Users Posts: 8,621 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Well now it's official, next SuperCross race will be on the 21st of December, so you'll all have to delay the Christmas drinks and eating for a few extra days! :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Well now it's official, next SuperCross race will be on the 21st of December, so you'll all have to delay the Christmas drinks and eating for a few extra days! :D

Any location yet?

Can't say for sure now, but defo won't be St. Anne's

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

There is no race 7th Dec?

Nope, round 4 is the 21/12

:(

I was hoping for 2 races in December for a very short while

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Connacht cyclocross league has races on 30th Nov and 14th Dec. Only a 2 hour drive from Dublin......

• Advertisement

Connacht cyclocross league has races on 30th Nov and 14th Dec. Only a 2 hour drive from Dublin......

Don't have a car... but thanks, I'll look into this :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭nak

Alek wrote: »
    :(

I was hoping for 2 races in December for a very short while

Race in Balbriggan on the 28th December.

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭25sean

is that the one on the beach!!

Serious gaps in the calendar now... something is needed between now and the 21st...

How hard would it be to organize cross marnock if we all chipped in?? keep us ticking over...

Race in Balbriggan on the 28th December.

Cool! Thats something more within my reach :)

Where can I find more details? Tried googling to no avail.

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭25sean

Belfast was good.. but slippery.. a test of skills, running and most importantly, determination...

Catholic marching band on Falls road during the race added a nice soundtrack

• Registered Users Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭okane1

Peterx wrote: »
    Lovely grassy course today in Castlebar. CX racing is great and with a little bit of imagination a tough tricky course can be hewn from the most innocuous looking grassland. A hill helps though and one was helpfully in situ.
    The kiddies had their race on a twisty slippy piece of fun in the lower corner of the course and then the seniors had their chance. The B race was led out in impressive style by a man on a fat wheeled MTB. Someone asked "Who is that?", to which the proudest voice ever proclaimed "That's my husband, and my son is in second place!" The jousting continued and the wife, in between her duties as diligent timekeeper, let us in on the sad state of husband's bowels ans sure enough his pace slackened appreciably on the later laps and the merciless efficiency of a man on an actual CX bike took the victory.
    The A race approached. Being a lover of the gridding I loitered near the startline and only 3 lads were called out for gridding and I slotted in thankfully on the second row, beside Paddy Clarke on an MTB. Unfortunately for him, Tim O'Regan was last having missed out on the loitering part of CX racing. As it happens he didn't need it but sure every little bit helps.
    Off we went and my big regret of the day is not having a camera on board for the first 40 seconds of carnage as lads fell over the place on the first three corners and one lad even jack-knifed his MTB on a slightly off-cambery bit. After that I found myself in 3rd with Paddy close by. Into the tree turn of slippiness and out again, around the copse of bushes and then the sloggy return up the grassy slopes and sure enough Tim was moving through the field.
    For the first 10 laps (of 14) we had a good battle but then he got ahead and pulled a good gap out and that essentially was that. I wouldn't get back and started making a few mistakes on corners where earlier I had been making time.
    Great to have a close race though while it lasted and thanks again to Mayo cycling league, Padraig Marrey and all the others who made it a great day out. The setting on the lakeside is stunning, as were the views over to Croagh Patrick, A mountain I have had the pleasure and pain of running up against Padraig for many years.

tl;dr - Mayo put on a good grassy CX race in very pictureque conditions. Tim O'Regan won.

Was meant go race this but crashed on some road ice on the way to sign on. I'm grand besides some road rash.
    Instead of taking the bike to the race, I took my camera - photos below

http://s884.photobucket.com/user/okane2010/slideshow/Castlebar%20CX%20Race

Cool! Thats something more within my reach :)

Where can I find more details? Tried googling to no avail.

No details yet, just a date and venue from the organiser. Course hasn't been used in years afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭midonogh

nak wrote: »
    No details yet, just a date and venue from the organiser. Course hasn't been used in years afaik.

Some around here will know better than me, but I don't think that Balbriggan has been nailed down yet. Will be great if it goes ahead

midonogh wrote: »
    Some around here will know better than me, but I don't think that Balbriggan has been nailed down yet. Will be great if it goes ahead

Fairly sure you're right !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Peterx

okane1 wrote: »
    Was meant go race this but crashed on some road ice on the way to sign on. I'm grand besides some road rash.
    Instead of taking the bike to the race, I took my camera - photos below

http://s884.photobucket.com/user/okane2010/slideshow/Castlebar%20CX%20Race

Crikey. Get well soon, your loss was our gain though. You took some great shots of the slippy tree turn.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Esroh

Don't have a car... but thanks, I'll look into this :)

. The GoBus or City link from Dub Airport or city centre would get you to Galway for 24 e return. They will take a bike( you would have to call). 15 min over to Dangan on bike.
    Both companies have a bus an hour both ways

I wonder if they would let me and the bike back on the bus after a muddy race ;-)

I wonder if they would let me and the bike back on the bus after a muddy race ;-)

You never know. We don't have a car either, if you have a licence, got a car for 2 days to go to race in Belfast for €42 at weekend. I take a fair bit of stuff to cross races including spare wheels as using tubs. Use a Go Car for Fixx races, they have mini vans. Or see if anyone will give you a lift - cheaper for both parties.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

You're well able for a long cycle. Back to back 200kms with a CX race thrown in between for good measure. I'm sure you could squeeze it into the Audax calendar. Lights mandatory. : )

As possible for me as throwing a few CX races into RAI solo ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Aramicon

This new Cyclocross race will be held in and around the Dangan Sportsgrounds on the North end of the NUIG campus (head out past Newcastle on the N59 and take the right turn into the Dangan Sports Centre) this Sunday the 30th as part of the Connacht league.

It's the first time a race was organized here so a few unknowns but with there's a lot of variety in the lap (2km+), with lots of trees, some steps, a tough rooty bank to run up, riverside paths, off-cambering, etc. A lot of thought went into the course so it should be a good one.

Sign On 9:30-10:30, Kids race at 10:45 and Adults at 11:45.

I know that cyclocross season is in full bloom, but what happens when it ends? Are there any races organized in the, ekhem, summer?

I guess it is not too early to think about a gravel grind race when its warm and dry, in one of the mountain parks - in example Hellfire club? I guess there is not too many dirt roads in Ireland...

I know that cyclocross season is in full bloom, but what happens when it ends? Are there any races organized in the, ekhem, summer?

I guess it is not too early to think about a gravel grind race when its warm and dry, in one of the mountain parks - in example Hellfire club? I guess there is not too many dirt roads in Ireland...

Rest and then road, track or MTB racing for most. One race this summer in Rathfarnam, that was a first.

There are a lot of fire roads in Wicklow/Dublin mountains.

So far I'm not into other racing than CX and don't really fancy changing this... Just wondering if there would be interest in "dry CX" and if someone would organize such race :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭QueensGael

you could change out the tires to a skinny pair, et viola! you're ready for crit racing :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement