Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Call for State schools to accommodate Islamic beliefs

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭rozeboosje

realweirdo wrote: »
    Pure any religion means going back to the original sources of the religion, ie their holy book. Does that clear it up?

Sure, but by that token there are No True ScotsMusselmen.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,307 ✭✭✭✭alastair

Pure any religion means going back to the original sources of the religion, ie their holy book. Does that clear it up?
    That doesn't really help - as the interpretation of those texts is wide open. Protestantism is rigorously based on the same biblical scripture. Yet in 1985 there were 22,190 Protestant denominations worldwide, with an extra five popping up weekly.

alastair wrote: »
    That doesn't really help - as the interpretation of those texts is wide open. Protestantism is rigorously based on the same biblical scripture. Yet in 1985 there were 22,190 Protestant denominations worldwide, with an extra five popping up weekly.

Exactly. Even self-avowed literalists cannot agree amongst each other how to "literally" interpret their Holy Books. The argument that there is a single "true" Islam/Christianity/Whateverelse is beyond silly.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

rozeboosje wrote: »
    Exactly. Even self-avowed literalists cannot agree amongst each other how to "literally" interpret their Holy Books. The argument that there is a single "true" Islam/Christianity/Whateverelse is beyond silly.

Luckily for the Prods,none of these "Literalists" went as far as beheading anybody.

Like it or not,the very real beheadings and mass executions,which we have free access to via Internet are both carried out and publicised by groups comprised of ISLAMIC proponents.

In so many of the sad examples,we can hear Allah being both praised and called upon to accept the judgement being delivered upon other MOSLEMS,in his name.

Like it or not,the steadily increasing amount of these ritual slaughterings are NOT being carried out by Catholics,Protestants,Hindu's or Athiests,but by self-styled DEVOUT members of Islam.

The words of the Prophet are oft provided to justify whatever new level of savagery is being depicted,with,oddly enough,some of the accounts even accompanied by Music and Song.

I really don't give a fiddlers how many "true" versions of Islam there are,at this point in Human existence,that arguement can be made in so many ways,other than Decapitating a shackled human being kneeling in front of you.

Thus far,I'm not seeing any recent examples of Christians or Whateverelse's using this form of savagery to promote their rerspective sects,and it must be said,nor are they suggesting it.

I find it sad and not a bit pathetic,that when a question as to whether any further "accomodation of Islamic Beliefs" by the Irish State Education system is even raised,it results in a flurry of smarty pant comments and glib one line triumphalist preening.

At the end of the day,my concerns for the well-being of Islam,as a belief system,religion,or whatever,are not of enough import to stir a cup of tea.

My immediate priority would be to clear my own family involvelent with the Irish Education System,BEFORE it is bundled headlong back into a 1950's style,segregated,navel gazing pastiche of what we thought we had overcome...Once that personal priority is achieved,the rest of you can "Accomodate" as much as ye want...with my Blessing ;)

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

AlekSmart wrote: »
    self-styled DEVOUT members of Islam.

There you go. Why not recognise them as your concern, rather than the rest of the poor sods, who just want to get on with their lives, and not bother anyone?

• Advertisement

Luckily for the Prods,none of these "Literalists" went as far as beheading anybody.

I find it sad and not a bit pathetic,that when a question as to whether any further "accomodation of Islamic Beliefs" by the Irish State Education system is even raised,it results in a flurry of smarty pant comments and glib one line triumphalist preening.

Like the one above?

Perhaps you could point to where anyone on this thread actually supported the good Dr. Selim in his requests?

There you go. Why not recognise them as your concern, rather than the rest of the poor sods, who just want to get on with their lives, and not bother anyone?

Which I most assuredly do...however,all the indications are that there are far more of these relative to the overall numbers,and certainly far more who are prepared to loudly demand our aquiescence to their demands.....if the rest of the "Poor Sods" want to come forth and agree with my thinking that'll be fine too.

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Which I most assuredly do...however,all the indications are that there are far more of these relative to the overall numbers,and certainly far more who are prepared to loudly demand our aquiescence to their demands.....if the rest of the "Poor Sods" want to come forth and agree with my thinking that'll be fine too.

Who exactly was loudly demanding you acquiesced to their demands? I'm going to guess nobody was? Am I right?

Like the one above?

Perhaps you could point to where anyone on this thread actually supported the good Dr. Selim in his requests?

Only referencing the fact,that to my knowledge,none of the other Religions mentioned has been used to legitimize Beheadings so far this century ?

I could be wrong of course ?

The thread is,I very much hope,about a bit more than which team the posting contributors support.

I am kinda heartened that,so far,it's only the Irish Athiests who have weighed in behind Dr Selim,something which he may or may not find heartening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭realweirdo

Over and over in the Quran there are passages along the lines directing followers to kill maim and enslave opponents or burn in hell. There's not many ways to interpret that. If even 1 in a hundred followers takes it litterally you end up having militant groups of tens of thousands of members intent on just that. No amount of apologetics or pretending this problem doesn't exist from you will change this.

The teaching of religion in schools across the western world has been a total and absmal failure.

If I wrote a book today similar to the Quran inciting people to do this or that, wipe out enemies and so on there would be outrage and it would be banned.

There is only so far you can take liberalism until it contributes to the downfall of civilisation.

There is no place for religion in schools...agreed?

• Advertisement

And how many of those 22,190 go around beheading people as a matter of principle or enslave thousands of women for their own deviant purposes?

Only referencing the fact,that to my knowledge,none of the other Religions mentioned has been used to legitimize Beheadings so far this century ?

I could be wrong of course ?

Well, besides the Lord's Resistance Army, and presumably any variety of other nutters out there.

And how many of those 22,190 go around beheading people as a matter of principle or enslave thousands of women for their own deviant purposes?

About the same proportion that do within the Muslim faith, I'd imagine.

Over and over in the Quran there are passages along the lines directing followers to kill maim and enslave opponents or burn in hell.
    Have you met the Old Testament?

Well, besides the Lord's Resistance Army, and presumably any variety of other nutters out there.

LRA is a miniscule group with no more than a few hundred core members. They certainly dont have the widespread support and sympathy groups like Isis, AQ and the Taliban have. Isis could not take over Mosul without local support.

Who exactly was loudly demanding you acquiesced to their demands? I'm going to guess nobody was? Am I right?

Again,thankfully most of the posts here have remained well within the bounds of debate,however this thread is about a tad more than just us and our words.

Dr Selim's "Call" for Irish State Schools to "accomodate Islamic Beliefs" is as loud and clearly demanding as it needs to be,and is one which I would not recommend acquiescing to as long as those same"beliefs" continue to be used as a bulwark for the execution of "Infidels".

So,No,I would suggest that you are NOT "right"...but you may well be more comfortable in the belief that you are,so that's ok with me too.

About the same proportion that do within the Muslim faith, I'd imagine.

Which would make it a very scarily large number of itself....However,so far it's the devout Islamic world which has turned the execution of Infidels and non devout co-religionists into Media events....

If you have any recent examples of images,video's or uses of the Old Testament,to justify actual mutilation and execution of lapsed fellow Christians then it would be worth posting it ?

Dr Selim's "Call" for Irish State Schools to "accomodate Islamic Beliefs" is as loud and clearly demanding as it needs to be,and is one which I would not recommend acquiescing to as long as those same"beliefs" continue to be used as a bulwark for the execution of "Infidels".

So,No,I would suggest that you are NOT "right"...but you may well be more comfortable in the belief that you are,so that's ok with me too.

I'm not seeing any demands at all from Dr. Selim, let alone loud ones. A single figure publishes a book, In which he lobby's for greater accommodation for his particular interpretation of his religion in multi-faith schooling. You do realise that the underlying basis of society is that various individuals, groups, bodies, etc, are continually making their case for change, and that it's not remotely out of the norm?

Which would make it a very scarily large number of itself....However,so far it's the devout Islamic world which has turned the execution of Infidels and non devout co-religionists into Media events....

No it's not the 'devout Muslim world'. It's one or two militias, and even there, there's no evidence that non-devout Muslims are being executed.

Bloody rabid headcutteroffers!!!!

notinmyname.png

oh wait ...

• Advertisement

Why don't those so-called "moderate Muslims" speak out against these atrocities!?!? They are keeping silent about it!

NotInMyName-Muslim-Campaign.jpg

oops.

Why don't those so-called "moderate Muslims" speak out against these atrocities!?!? They are keeping silent about it!

NotInMyName-Muslim-Campaign.jpg

oops.

Do you seriously think ISIS are going to pay even the slightest bit of heed to campaigns like this? Particularly ones that originate in the west? They view all things western as evil. They view all muslims who live in the west as decadent I am pretty sure of that. If you aren't praying 5 times a day, and adhere to all the main tenets of Islam, they don't really view you as Islamic. Actually from what I can see, unless you are chopping off heads, they don't view you as Islamic.

In the conflict between moderate Islam and radical/violent Islam, the latter is winning, and there's not a whole lot that can be done about it. They don't listen to words, placards, campaigns or reason.

The only hope now for all of us, is to prevent the next generation of Muslim children from following suit into violent Islam. So far its not working as many who travelled to Syria were in their teens or early twenties.

they don't really view you as Islamic

They don't get to tell other Muslims whether they're Islamic or not.

They don't get to tell other Muslims whether they're Islamic or not.

That might be true, but they think the same themselves. They don't like others telling them they aren't Islamic. So its pointless saying to them they aren't Islamic. Unfortunately they have taken a very literal interpretation of the Quran, and have re-enacted many of the more heinious parts of it. They think they are following in the path of Muhammad, and truth be told, they mostly are.

That might be true, but they think the same themselves. They don't like others telling them they aren't Islamic. So its pointless saying to them they aren't Islamic. Unfortunately they have taken a very literal interpretation of the Quran, and have re-enacted many of the more heinious parts of it. They think they are following in the path of Muhammad, and truth be told, they mostly are.

You don't get to decide that, either. Or if you insist, fine. But then there aren't 1.5 billion Muslims in the world. I don't think many of those 1.5 billion people who call themselves "Muslim" will be particularly bothered by the fact that YOU or ISIS don't think so, though :-)

You don't get to decide that, either. Or if you insist, fine. But then there aren't 1.5 billion Muslims in the world. I don't think many of those 1.5 billion people who call themselves "Muslim" will be particularly bothered by the fact that YOU or ISIS don't think so, though :-)

They see themselves as devout Muslims following the best path to get them to paradise. They have taken a very literal interpretation of the Quran, and some might argue a very accurate interpretation. Some others such as yourself would argue they have taken a wrong interpretation.

The problem with Islam and all the other relgions is that everyone has a different interpretation, and yet they all think they have the right interpretation and a minority are prepared to fight to the death or more likely kill to protect their intrepretation. This is a major problem with all religions.

There's no such thing as a correct interpretation, everyone seems to have their own interpretation, so it is utterly pointless for some Imam somewhere to say they aren't following Islam. It's a complete waste of time. ISIS believe they have god on their side and with all the weapons they have, not many will argue with them on that point!

Here are the simple facts:

- 1.5 Billion people call themselves "Muslim"
    - All of them will state categorically that they adhere to a belief system called "Islam"
    - Many of them are perfectly peaceful and don't support the barbarity that some other people who claim to adhere to a belief system called "Islam" indulge in
    - It is therefore nonsensical to state that "Islam" is inherently "barbaric" or whatnot, just like it is nonsensical to state that there is only one "real" Islam. Every Muslim believes that the version of Islam that they follow is if not THE "correct" one then one of the ones acceptable to "Allah", whatever that is.

QED

Therefore, people like you shouldn't be fulminating against "Islam". You should be fulminating against the barbarians who choose to use "Islam" as an excuse to perform their barbaric acts. Your inability to make that subtle distinction causes unnecessary polarisation and forces perfectly decent ordinary Muslims into a corner, and they don't deserve that.

Do you seriously think ISIS are going to pay even the slightest bit of heed to campaigns like this?

It's not directed at ISIS. It's directed at those casual bigots, who might well assume that ISIS had some form of connection with them, through claiming a religious rationale for their actions. You know those kind of bigots, all too eager to tarnish an entire religious community with the acts of a small minority?

• Advertisement

Some others such as yourself would argue they have taken a wrong interpretation.

It's not my place to tell Muslims whose interpretation of their lovely little book is "right" or "wrong". To me it's all superstitious nonsense. But that's irrelevant. What *I* can do is encourage those whose interpretation is peaceful and to include them and embrace them as fellow human beings, and discourage and oppose those whose interpretation is confrontational, barbaric or unacceptable in a secular society. I'm under no delusion that I can get 1.5 billion people to stop believing in sky fairies. That's never gonna happen.

Advertisement