Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ray Rice released by Ravens and banned indefinitely by NFL

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

Hazys wrote: »
    Before i say this, i believe Ray Rice is a scumbag and i thought the 2 game suspensions was a joke but does anybody think that the indefinite suspension (i presume will be a year) and cutting is too harsh?

Its not like Rice is the first NFL player to beat his wife/gf sure Dez Bryant allegedly punched his mom. Ray Rice punched a women in the face. He is a professional athlete with a huge strength of advantage and it was nowhere near a fair fight but at the end of the day it is assault. How many players have assaulted weaker individuals outside bars and clubs,etc in the past couple of seasons? Dozens but none got a year ban.

I think Rice is a "victim" of how badly the NFL and the Ravens handled the situation. If the NFL originally banned Rice for lets say 8 games and the Ravens http://b-static.net/vbulletin/images/icons/icon4.pngcondemned him, i think that mostly would have been the end of it. Sure some people wouldn't have been happy with only 8 games but at the end of the day he assaulted somebody, he didn't murder somebody like Hernandez, or kill and torture dogs like Vick or manslaughter somebody like Stallworth. So i don't think he deserves a year ban.

People were outraged at the 2 game ban and rightfully so, it was a joke (especially since Gordon was banned for a year for weed). The outrage only grew because of that. Once the video came out today, the NFL and Ravens saw the back lash over night and tried to cover their tracks by banning and cutting him. No way the NFL and Ravens didn't see the video because there were multiple reports saying that they did. They came out lying through their teeth and with their actions today, they are pretending to show fake outrage, when all they realized today was this was going to hurt their bottom line.

IMO the NFL and Ravens have come out extremely badly in this.

There was no wa it'd end well. They were probably hoping the tape would never see the light of day. I imagine if they released the tape right out it would of been a year suspenson and maybe no cut But now they have to be seen to be tough on it to save face which they can't.

Problem was as they found out people wanted to see the tape and reacted how normal people would to it, with disgust

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

adrian522 wrote: »
    I don't understand what has changed today?

He originally got a 2 game ban with his team sticking by him. No new information has come to light since then. Everything we know today we knew weeks ago.

This is completely hypocritical from Godell and the Ravens. Both of those moves should have been done originally (contracted terminated and Rice suspended indefinitely).

This is what I don't get. He hit his wife and knocked her unconscious. Got a 2 game ban and the ravens publicly backed him.

What did people expect to see in the video? Why does the video make any difference now? Ravens have handled this horribly, and I don't get how people can praise them for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

bruschi wrote: »
    This is what I don't get. He hit his wife and knocked her unconscious. Got a 2 game ban and the ravens publicly backed him.

What did people expect to see in the video? Why does the video make any difference now? Ravens have handled this horribly, and I don't get how people can praise them for this.

The Ravens made a bollocks of it PR wise the first time around and weren't going to pass up the second opportunity to repair some of the damage.

Rice is falling off a cliff in terms of production so it's an easy out. If it had been a more important player the video surfacing likely wouldn't have led to a cut.

La Canfora is well connected in Baltimore and reported that the Ravens were aware of the 'gory' details long before today.

The issue the NFL now face is consistent punishment. There's far too much inconsistency across the board and they need to get it sorted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

Grab your popcorn. TMZ are now claiming they have evidence that the NFL did see the video first time round.

Oh boy.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Had a feeling that would happen, alright.

Ravens to cut Harbaugh, and co, and NFL to cut Goodell, eh?

Fat chance, I think!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

You actually couldn't script a worse way to handle this then how the NFL and Ravens have done it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Seems TMZ are saying the NFL knew the video existed but TMZ haven't said they watched it. Ray Rice's input on this could be huge.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,096 ✭✭✭Lirange

Glad that Rice is out of a job.

Maybe Hardy will soon join him.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

The amount of first time we saw this bull**** is hilarious. Does anyone actually believe they didn't see it/ know exactly what was on it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Grab your popcorn. TMZ are now claiming they have evidence that the NFL did see the video first time round.

Oh boy.

If that's the case it's bye bye Goodell and bye bye Harbaugh.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭TO.

10481929_759251217454902_8417983077623718033_n.jpg?oh=bcabb88dde127458553481c15daf9f8b&oe=5435E53F&__gda__=1412868313_09fe532b09fccab3b0ac63de90c50bd8

• Registered Users Posts: 37,882 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I was absolutely shocked when I watched that video earlier today. Having had plenty of time to think about it now, the big loser here is Ray Rice's wife/the victim. She looks like a fool in the media for marrying the guy, her husband is now out of work. Really feel for what she must be going through right now. Hopefully she divorces the loser and takes all his money.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

Ravens are saying they cut Rice as he misled them on the incident.

TBH Goodell should go after all of this mess...

Ravens are saying they cut Rice as he misled them on the incident.

TBH Goodell should go after all of this mess...

thats some joke. To be honest, I'm feeling a bit sorry for Rice in this. He phucked up, badly, but his team stuck by him and he was semingly getting over it (not that I agree with that, but thats what happened). He admitted he punched his wife and knocked her unconscious.

But now the video is out, and the public condemnation has risen, they throw him under the bus. Why support him back then, but not now just because the video is made public?

Please note, I think he should have been cut when it happened, and I have no sympathy with him in regards to the whole situation, just that the Ravens have dicked him around something rotten flip flopping to public clamouring and its a bit rich to support him and then drop him just because the video is made public.

How could he have misled them? He punched his wife. The video shows him punching his wife? How could anything be unclear from that?

Goodell has made a complete balls of it too, and the retrospective 6 game and life time ban afterwards smacks of realising the public were outraged. When it all came in the midst of Josh Gordon being banned for a year too for a bit of weed, it made for a very busy PR guru to work with the NFL

• Registered Users Posts: 10,740 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

I thought the previous narrative was one of self defense? Now this video came out and shows she wasn't attacking him. That's the difference.

How many players have assaulted weaker individuals outside bars and clubs,etc in the past couple of seasons? Dozens but none got a year ban.

There is a huge difference between fighting another person outside a bar and knocking out your wife or girlfriend.
    he assaulted somebody, he didn't murder somebody like Hernandez, or kill and torture dogs like Vick or manslaughter somebody like Stallworth. So i don't think he deserves a year ban.

Of course murder is the ultimate crime, but have to say I think it worse than the Vick issue. What Vick did was grotesque...but knocking out your own partner?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭BaronVon

i see the wife has reached out on Twitter

321546.jpg

Pudsy33 wrote: »
    I thought the previous narrative was one of self defense? Now this video came out and shows she wasn't attacking him. That's the difference.

this...

• Registered Users Posts: 39,691 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

infacteh wrote: »
    i see the wife has reached out on Twitter

attachment.php?attachmentid=321546&stc=1&d=1410268265
    Hang on a ****ing minute. It's all our fault ? What's this WE crap aswell ?

Well, being the cynical bastard that I am, my thought process on the above:

"I stayed with this fuck, because he's absolutely loaded and can give me the lifestyle that I want. Now you've not only taken away that lifestyle from both himself and me, but I'm stuck with him and his soon to be broke ass for the foreseeable future".

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

What Vick did was grotesque...but knocking out your own partner?
    I think if we'd seen a video of Vicks actions then it would have been worse than grotesque.
    At least Vick saw some jail time; looks like Rice is going to avoid it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

Knex. wrote: »

"I stayed with this fuck, because he's absolutely loaded and can give me the lifestyle that I want. Now you've not only taken away that lifestyle from both himself and me, but I'm stuck with him and his soon to be broke ass for the foreseeable future".
    Yeah, that was my 'cynical' reading of it as well.
    Not sure how she could see that video, and not have enough self respect, to just walk away from the guy.

broke? his contract was front loaded, made $25m over the last 2 seasons.

broke? his contract was front loaded, made $25m over the last 2 seasons.

Well, he's still missing on on a fair whack of money, and its not like he's gonna get a job in media or college ball for a hell of a while after this.

More money than I will ever see, but still, a big enough hit on what they both expected to have, I would think.

Well, he's still missing on on a fair whack of money, and its not like he's gonna get a job in media or college ball for a hell of a while after this.

More money than I will ever see, but still, a big enough hit on what they both expected to have, I would think.

he'll get back in the league, next year maybe..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭skippymac6

No one will take a chance on him. His best years are behind him and he has this baggage.

I'd be massively surprised if he played in the league again, even if it is the league with the shortest memory ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭BKWDR

He should be in jail.

I don't understand people arguing the finer points of Ray Rice being thrown under a bus or feeling hard done by. He knocked his fiance clean out. I would throw money on the fact that it's not the first time he's done it either, judging by her reaction / staying with him.

But in the cold light of day i don't know how anyone can look at that video footage and not think this scumbag should not be in jail.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭skippymac6

BKWDR wrote: »
    He should be in jail.

I don't understand people arguing the finer points of Ray Rice being thrown under a bus or feeling hard done by. He knocked his fiance clean out. I would throw money on the fact that it's not the first time he's done it either, judging by her reaction / staying with him.

But in the cold light of day i don't know how anyone can look at that video footage and not think this scumbag should not be in jail.

Yep absolutely. Shame on the Ravens and NFL for trying to sweep it under the carpet but it doesn't excuse what he did.

BKWDR wrote: »
    He should be in jail.

all I mean is that the Ravens accepted it previously, and now they dont.

I also said that he should have been suspended as soon as it happened and I have no sympathy for him in that regards. But I just dont think the Ravens dealt with the situation or him very well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,216 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Have they started selling the Rice #27 Bengals jerseys yet?

Advertisement