Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ray Rice released by Ravens and banned indefinitely by NFL

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭FreeOSCAR

The new Ray Rice vid is sick. Delighted it came out. Some scumbag.

Despicable - Utter filthy piece of s**t, 2 games for this boggles the mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

FreeOSCAR wrote: »
    Despicable - Utter filthy piece of s**t, 2 games for this boggles the mind.

Calm down it's almost pink nfl month so the nfl show women they matter and isn a marketing ploy at all

• Registered Users Posts: 9,674 ✭✭✭nerd69

The new Ray Rice vid is sick. Delighted it came out. Some scumbag.

presumably they can't alter the ban now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

nerd69 wrote: »

Not unless he was smoking a joint while he did it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Just watched it, horrible horrible man

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,964 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

Wow, it's a real pity they can't alter the ban. I've never seen a video with domestic violence in it before so I don't know what I was expecting but that was just pure violence. If he was an ordinary guy and did that to anyone (never mind his wife) he'd be in jail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭poldebruin

nerd69 wrote: »

....the NFL can't, but I'm sure the team can still mete out punishment? They would seem to have made their bed though, but public pressure may come to bear now.

Looking at the video, and the way her head snaps back on the metal handrail, he (she) is lucky that the outcome was not worse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

NFL saw the video inside the elevator, its not new evidence to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭padraig_f

I'd like to retract my defence of the 2-game ban, I was kind of giving him the beneifit of the doubt, maybe it was half accidental, maybe he was physically provoked (not that that's a defence). But there's none of that...no physical provocation, they're just talking and then he socks her one out of the blue, don't think she saw it coming. Shocking how casual it is.

Did Goodell see that video I wonder when the suspension was handed down?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

poldebruin wrote: »
    ....the NFL can't, but I'm sure the team can still mete out punishment? They would seem to have made their bed though, but public pressure may come to bear now.

The team could try to hand down their own suspension but then wouldn't the union kick up about it. The league have already judged Rice, the union won't accept one of their members getting an extra ban.

On football terms Justin Forsett played very well last night and he's similar to Rice though about 15lbs lighter. If they move on from Rice they have a steady replacement lined up.

• Advertisement

It's still an utterly scummy thing to do don't get me wrong, but do any Ravens fans know what Rice's concussion history is like? I remember Chris Henry of the Bengali having some incredibly erratic behaviour before he died trying to jump on his wife/girlfriends car as she was trying to get away from him.

Wouldn't surprise me at all if his head s a bit scrambled after years of playing possibly the most physical position, in the most physical division of an incredibly physical league, and being the linchpin of the offense for so long that he could have been thrown back in some games he shouldn't have been. That's exactly the kind of thing the NFL have been trying to brush under the carpet and might explain why they attempted to fob this off with a two game ban (which backfired entirely of course).

Not an excuse for his actions or anything, just a thought.

Billy86 wrote: »
    It's still an utterly scummy thing to do don't get me wrong, but do any Ravens fans know what Rice's concussion history is like? I remember Chris Henry of the Bengali having some incredibly erratic behaviour before he died trying to jump on his wife/girlfriends car as she was trying to get away from him.

Wouldn't surprise me at all if his head s a bit scrambled after years of playing possibly the most physical position, in the most physical division of an incredibly physical league, and being the linchpin of the offense for so long that he could have been thrown back in some games he shouldn't have been. That's exactly the kind of thing the NFL have been trying to brush under the carpet and might explain why they attempted to fob this off with a two game ban (which backfired entirely of course).

they were arguing all the way and punched her clean out once away from prying eyes, knew exactly what he was at

• Registered Users Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭boccy23

mikemac1 wrote: »
    The team could try to hand down their own suspension but then wouldn't the union kick up about it. The league have already judged Rice, the union won't accept one of their members getting an extra ban.

On football terms Justin Forsett played very well last night and he's similar to Rice though about 15lbs lighter. If they move on from Rice they have a steady replacement lined up.

And a lot cheaper!

they were arguing all the way and punched her clean out once away from prying eyes, knew exactly what he was at
    Quite possibly yeah, like I said I am not defending him. But I don't think the effects of multiple concussions prevents someone from thinking whatsoever... rather from thinking rationally.

Either way he deserved a way linger ban and further punishment, but it would go some of the way to explain why the NFL gave such a ridiculously short ban and tried to sweep the whole thing aside in the first place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

Not nice viewing. She's very lucky imo, the way she hit her head on the handrail could easily have resulted in a much worse outcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭BKWDR

Just watched the video. Totally disgusting.
    How he isn't in prison is beyond me :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭boccy23

BKWDR wrote: »
    Just watched the video. Totally disgusting.
    How he isn't in prison is beyond me :(
    That's a real good question. The prosecutors in Atlantic City saw this and still failed to press charges.

The Raven's will probably build a statue for Rice after seeing that video.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Wonder how Harbaugh feels today after saying that Rice is 'a heck of a guy and he's extremely proud of him'.

Don't care how provoked a situation like that is - you're an NFL player of 15 odd stone, you should not be hitting any woman.

Wonder how Harbaugh feels today after saying that Rice is 'a heck of a guy and he's extremely proud of him'.

Harbaugh comes from the Andy Reid school of coachspeak who means never ever throw your players under the bus and never say anything remotely controversial

He is not going to say what he thinks in a press conference. You'll just get an all for the team waffle answer when he gets asked about this

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

Billy86 wrote: »

yeah it could be a factor, but I dont think so either to be honest. And Chris henry, despite they proving he had issues of brain damage when they did a post mortem, was always damaged goods. He was in so much bother with drugs and police and the fact he was killed in a domestic dispute was not that unexpected to me at least. Always seemed the type to be caught up in something that you'd hear about in some downtrodden area of a small town. A really unfortunate end to the life of a really talented sportsperson, but as Aaron Hernandez and countless others proved, just because you are a talented sportsman, sometimes the underbelly life you grew up with never leaves you. Is Rice like this too? I dont know.

I think the concussion issue is waaaay over blown. You can't go around blaming concussions on every players actions. It probably has impact in certain cases but certainly nowhere near all or even a minority of cases.

There are millions of men around the world who have beaten their wife or GF and never played a snap in the NFL, not to mention get a concussion.

Ray Rice is just a scumbag.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭poldebruin

NFL office is saying they had not seen that particular video until today!

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/09/08/nfl-we-didnt-see-ray-rice-video-until-today/

I'm not sure I can believe that, and I wouldn't be surprised if Baltimore and Harbaugh backtrack on some of their public statements of support now the video has been widely seen.

Video of incident for anyone that missed it today...link to tmz.
    http://www.tmz.com/2014/09/08/ray-rice-elevator-knockout-fiancee-takes-crushing-punch-video/

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/09/08/nfl-we-didnt-see-ray-rice-video-until-today/

I'm not sure I can believe that, and I wouldn't be surprised if Baltimore and Harbaugh backtrack on some of their public statements of support now the video has been widely seen.

Video of incident for anyone that missed it today...link to tmz.
    http://www.tmz.com/2014/09/08/ray-rice-elevator-knockout-fiancee-takes-crushing-punch-video/

The nfl couldn get access my hoop

I don't believe that statement from the league for a second. The league had the full tape from the beginning

Adam Schefter came out very anti league today. It seems that they're lying through their teeth on this one to try and somehow save face. They had most certainly seen the full footage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

He slapped her, wasn't a punch.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,188 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Ray Rice has been released by the Ravens according to Chris Mortensen.

I was not expecting that. Holy crap.

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/509043555781058560

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Needed move

• Advertisement

Correct move.

Advertisement