Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ray Rice released by Ravens and banned indefinitely by NFL

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Good Riddance. Classy move by a classy organization.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,732 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Delighted as a Ravens fan. Sense has prevailed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

Raf32 wrote: »

Classy would of been cuttng him on the spot/ enforcing more punishments, now like the nfl it's the same as now that everyone has seen the video we are outraged

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭SameOleJay

Well done Ravens. Hope to god no team goes near him but I won't hold my breath.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

Fair play to all involved at the Ravens for this decision

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Raf32 wrote: »

Massive lol at this. I mean this is the same organisation that posted this on their twitter feed
    Janay Rice says she deeply regrets the role that she played the night of the incident.

Ravens had no problem with Rice a when this happened. I've no doubt they had a hand in getting Janay to take some of the blame either. A classless organisation. I'd have more respect for them if they stuck by Rice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Pudsy33 wrote: »
    Delighted as a Ravens fan. Sense has prevailed.

I for one am jumping on the Justin Forsett bandwagon :)

?url=http%3A%2F%2Fcdn.mse.psddev.com%2F1f%2F30%2Fd27e6a2e4222ae5179301d745f00%2F200-ravens-justin-forsett.jpg

mikemac1 wrote: »
    I for one am jumping on the Justin Forsett bandwagon :)

?url=http%3A%2F%2Fcdn.mse.psddev.com%2F1f%2F30%2Fd27e6a2e4222ae5179301d745f00%2F200-ravens-justin-forsett.jpg

have him claimed on waivers atm

They've played it appallingly all along but they've redeemed themselves here imo.

Bear in mind there's the guts of 10 mill in cap space going down the pipe here.... and their backfield options aren't exactly stellar in his absence.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

SameOleJay wrote: »
    They've played it appallingly all along but they've redeemed themselves here imo.

The Ravens as an organization have a long, long way to go to redeem themselves. Or even get close.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Podge_irl wrote: »
    The Ravens as an organization have a long, long way to go to redeem themselves. Or even get close.

No one likes the Ravens but lets not have other stuff colour this issue.

He fcuked up, they released him.

My only concern would be them having seen the video originally and keeping him on the roster as the video wasnt public.

Once it went public they had no other option to release him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

No one likes the Ravens

:(

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

mikemac1 wrote: »
    :(

Just telling it like it is mike!
    And thats just because they got rid of Vonta!

On another note Robert Mathis has torn his achilles, he was missing 4 games anyway for "fertility treatment" but now hes done for the season

Definitely helps the Titans

Once it went public they had no other option to release him

Well exactly. Which doesn't make their decision commendable in the slightest, they had almost no choice. They did have a choice in how they reacted until now and it was a colossal screw up in how they handled it.

looks like goodell has indefinitely suspended rice according to twitter

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

My only concern would be them having seen the video originally and keeping him on the roster as the video wasnt public.

Is it 100% that the Ravens & the NFL had seen the video before today?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

Delighted he's gone for that and that comes as someone who's had their fantasy team ****ed over by him. Deserved it. Good riddance and with a bit of luck he'll do time as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

As depressing a notion it is, TMZ are the reason he's got done here and not the NFL.

HigginsJ wrote: »
    Is it 100% that the Ravens & the NFL had seen the video before today?

I'm not sure, but if they had & kept him on/not suspended him for a year i'd be pretty damn pissed off especially given all the womens cancer support the NFL does.

"women we will help you fight cancer, but we're happy to have our players beat the crap out of you with no repercussions"

The nfl is the biggest sporting organization in america, they make entire states bow down to them when it comes to bidding for the superbowl, they have people that can find out sordid details eg bountygate, the thought that they didn obtain the tape is retarded.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

If it was any other organisation isn't it fair to say Goodell's head would be called for?

I say this because he's the man who has put himself in the position of judge, jury and executioner for almost all of these suspensions and hearings since he has been in.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Oat23 wrote: »
    Ray Rice has been released by the Ravens according to Chris Mortensen.

I was not expecting that. Holy crap.

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/509043555781058560

I'm a Ravens fan, but let's be honest - there's not a hope in hell he'd have been released if it looked like he'd be able to produce like he did most of the last few years and wasn't falling off a massive cliff.

Smacks of taking an opportunity to gain some positive PR back by releasing a player that the team think is not going to be much of a loss. It has been reported that Rice told the Ravens exactly what happened so they'll have known and realised they handeled the situation chronically and now try to make up for it.

Massive shame overall. He was my favourite player when I first became a Ravens fan. No one comes out of this looking good.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

Regardless of how he was playing the Ravens position had become completely untenable. Would have been very bad to keep him not only for the PR, but the locker room can't have been very happy to play with him either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Ray McDonald must be worried now. I suppose lucky for him it wasn't caught on camera so people won't really give a ****.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,105 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

I don't understand what has changed today?

He originally got a 2 game ban with his team sticking by him. No new information has come to light since then. Everything we know today we knew weeks ago.

This is completely hypocritical from Godell and the Ravens. Both of those moves should have been done originally (contracted terminated and Rice suspended indefinitely).

Ray McDonald must be worried now. I suppose lucky for him it wasn't caught on camera so people won't really give a ****.

It's a tricky one.

I tend to agree with Jim Harbaugh that some element of due process absolutely has to play out with McDonald. He hasn't even been charged with anything yet and we have seen precisely zero evidence of anything. I hope the hammer falls on him if needs be and swiftly and if there is substance to the allegations I hope he is worried.

adrian522 wrote: »
    I don't understand what has changed today?

He originally got a 2 game ban with his team sticking by him. No new information has come to light since then. Everything we know today we knew weeks ago.

This is completely hypocritical from Godell and the Ravens. Both of those moves should have been done originally (contracted terminated and Rice suspended indefinitely).

What has changed is the video of him hitting her is now in public, before it was he it her but nobody saw so we can brush it off, oh people have seen it?? well that behaviour is not on

Greg Hardy the more interesting case.

Contract year and he was huge last year. I've read little of his case but, by all accounts, it's no joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Tweedle Dumb

Am i the only one finding his actions after knocking her out more disturbing than the punch?

Don't get me wrong, its atrocious what he did but dragging around her unconscious body makes it even more disturbing

Todays decisions should have been made months go.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

Before i say this, i believe Ray Rice is a scumbag and i thought the 2 game suspensions was a joke but does anybody think that the indefinite suspension (i presume will be a year) and cutting is too harsh?

Its not like Rice is the first NFL player to beat his wife/gf sure Dez Bryant allegedly punched his mom. Ray Rice punched a women in the face. He is a professional athlete with a huge strength of advantage and it was nowhere near a fair fight but at the end of the day it is assault. How many players have assaulted weaker individuals outside bars and clubs,etc in the past couple of seasons? Dozens but none got a year ban.

I think Rice is a "victim" of how badly the NFL and the Ravens handled the situation. If the NFL originally banned Rice for lets say 8 games and the Ravens condemned him, i think that mostly would have been the end of it. Sure some people wouldn't have been happy with only 8 games but at the end of the day he assaulted somebody, he didn't murder somebody like Hernandez, or kill and torture dogs like Vick or manslaughter somebody like Stallworth. So i don't think he deserves a year ban.

People were outraged at the 2 game ban and rightfully so, it was a joke (especially since Gordon was banned for a year for weed). The outrage only grew because of that. Once the video came out today, the NFL and Ravens saw the back lash over night and tried to cover their tracks by banning and cutting him. No way the NFL and Ravens didn't see the video because there were multiple reports saying that they did. They came out lying through their teeth and with their actions today, they are pretending to show fake outrage, when all they realized today was this was going to hurt their bottom line.

IMO the NFL and Ravens have come out extremely badly in this.

Advertisement