Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Film forum off topic/random chat thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Problem is that between awareness of Zombie's filmography and that trailer, I'd say Verotika is a more likely outcome than The Love Witch...

I don't think Zombie is anywhere near as directorially incompetent as Danzig proved to be, but nor do I think he's capable of creating something with as effective a production quality and script as The Love Witch, and the trend of his films over the last decade or so has been definitely downwards in terms of quality...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,103 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Yeah I haven't seen anything Rob Zombie has made in the past decade, so can't weigh in there. While I've never been a fan of his films, his films at least seem technically competent in general... so I've no doubt whatever he's doing on The Munsters is on purpose. Just whether that gamble actually works is another thing, and the trailer isn't encouraging.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,924 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Rob Zombie has made one good movie, 'The Devil's Rejects'. Everything else has been either meh or downright bloody awful.

How he keeps getting gigs is beyond me.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,310 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

John Woo is returning to make a movie in the US, Silent Night staring Joel Kinnaman has just finished filmimg.

Peacock are also remaking/rebooting an English language version of The Killer (Shame on them, money talks I guess)

Q: You seemed to have a lot of projects in development in Asia a few years back. Why decide to return to the U.S. to make a film?

JW: There were a couple of topics I wanted to make in China, but it was difficult to get the finance and I couldn’t find anything else I wanted to do. When I got the script for Silent Night from Thunder Road, I thought it was very unique and just loved it. What attracted me is that the script doesn’t have any dialogue – the whole movie is totally visual, you’re using visual images, sound and music to tell the story – so for me that’s something pretty new. If I’d stayed in China, I would probably still be making the same old things, another war movie or action movie, so even though this film has a pretty small budget and a tight schedule, that was fine with me. I also got to work with a wonderful actor in Joel Kinnaman.

Q: What stage are you at with the remake of The Killer?

JW: We originally tried to hire another director to shoot it, but couldn’t find anyone, so I took on the job. We maybe shouldn’t call this The Killer, because we’re making a very different version, as the lead character [an assassin played by Chow Yun-fat in the original] will be played by a woman. We’re doing the casting now. We were talking to Lupita Nyong’o but she had to pass so we’re looking for somebody else. The story is similar to The Killer, but we can say it’s more of a story about friendship than a love story.

Post edited by Agent Coulson on

• Advertisement

Given that a google engineer was fired for claiming he was talking to a sentient computer: (the conversation with the computer is eye opening)

https://www.aidataanalytics.network/data-science-ai/news-trends/full-transcript-google-engineer-talks-to-sentient-artificial-intelligence-2

I wonder are we really that far off a Skynet problem?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,926 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

I've been listening to the Next Best Picture podcast lately and they've been talking about the upcoming big festivals, predicting what might show where, and a little bit about Oscar potentials too.

The last few episodes when they mention David O Russell's upcoming film, Amsterdam, they get a little bit shady about it and write it off without explaining why. Last week they basically said it wouldn't go to any of the festivals because they didn't think whichever studio is responsible for it was going to want to do any kind of big platformed release for it, and then they quickly moved on.

This week, when talking about films that might under/over perform at the Oscars, they mentioned it again, saying something like "knowing what we know that the general public at large doesn't know...." and then said given the big name cast (Christian Bale, Margo Robbie, Anya Taylor Joy, Chris Rock, Michael B Jordan) there would be some expectation that it would get nominations, but "I don't know how it can."

They can't just be talking about the allegations against David O Russell can they? I think they're fairly public knowledge at this point, so to frame them as something known only to people with inside knowledge doesn't seem correct. And I know you have to be extremely careful about what you say about people online, so it's possible they're just skirting around it to protect themselves, but I'm sure they could mention them even in the vaguest terms.

Anyway, it's just got me curious as to what they might be very deliberately not talking about.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

They are almost certainly talking about Russell. They probably think that the general public isn't familiar with him or his behaviour hence why he has't been cancelled and is still making movies but expect that to change. Very doubtful they have any inside knowledge, if they did they'd be publishing/tweeting it.

I don't think they'd be broadcasting anything that could get them in legal trouble.

The sexual assault allegations are public knowledge, and Russell has admitted to it himself, so they could just say if that was what they were talking about.

There were other stories about his on set behaviour from previous films, so I'm wondering if it's more of that?

The implication that the studio will just want to get this released and off their books is what has me wondering. All of the things we already know about him were known before this film was made, so I don't see why the studio would suddenly want to wash their hands of it.

Maybe it's just really f**king bad 😄

I did a little light digging on twitter and there's some chats about test screenings so I'm thinking now that it might actually just be that it's $hite.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭Xofpod

Hadn't heard anything about Russell's recent behaviour but I do remember hearing that his treatment of the cast on Three Kings was so appalling that it resulted in Gentleman George Clooney punching him in the face...

Yeah, on one of the ones he did with Amy Adams he made her cry so much Christian Bale had to step in at one point. Bale doesn't seem to have a problem working with him again though.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Russell's on set behaviour is well know. Despite this his films continue to be packed to the brim with A-listers. Even Adams - who took all that abuse on American Hustle for less pay their male co-stars - suggested it was worth it (she got an Oscar nomination for best actress) and wouldn't totally rule out working with him again.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,125 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Jake Gyllenhaal will star in a reboot of 'Road House' with Doug Liman set to direct

Billy Magnussen, Daniela Melchior, Gbemisola Ikumelo and Lukas Gage have also been cast

Warner Brothers have just dropped their Bat Girl film entirely even though it's already been shot and cost them $90 million to make. They're not even going to release it on streaming apparently. Just binning it.

I wonder if this means they're going to finally just drop The Flash too. Apparently Bat Girl was supposed to follow on from whatever that set up, including Michael Keaton back as Batman. I dunno. Can't say I care particularly about any of it, but certainly a strange bit of news.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,103 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Some chat about the Batgirl news over here:

As I said there: buck wild.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

By all accounts a divisive figure, and you couldn't drag me to the cinema to see something with him in it.

I doubt it's a big part but even then, the amount of court appearances and allegations made against him over the last few years should be enough to make any studio steer clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,815 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I would assume he'll be playing one of the bad guys.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I amend my previous allergy to say I might watch McGregor having the snot beaten out of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,924 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Tom Cruise and Christopher McQuarrie are developing 3 new projects

One is a song and dance musical

Two is a new action franchise

Three is a project that will involve Tropic Thunders Les Grossman

Les Grossman? Surely those 15 minutes came & went. Obviously not in the mind of Cruise.

Can't imagine any of these happening while Cruise remains in his 50s; one wonders if we'll finally see any kind of ramping down of the insane stunts once the actor hits 60.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Anything on the action franchise!?!? They work well when they do action.

I don't know if it's related, but there was that rumour knocking about Cruise wanted to make use of the burgeoning "space tourism" angle to shoot a movie in space - but no idea how true it was, or if McQuarrie had anything to do with it. Or indeed how drunk CRuise was when he said it, if he said it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

I'd completely forgotten about that. He and Doug Liman were going to make a movie in space. Looked it up and supposedly it's still on the horizon:

"Also looming large is the untitled film that Cruise intends to make with director Doug Liman and McQuarrie producing. You know, the one they’ll shoot in outer space, with NASA and Elon Musk’s SpaceX. Since Deadline broke the story about this plan, Universal signed on to be the studio. As Deadline subsequently reported, they’ve aligned with SEE-1, film producer duo Elena and Dmitry Lesnevsky’s newly-launched Space Entertainment Enterprise (S.E.E.) that will dock with Axiom’s world-first commercial space station Axiom Station, which is connected to the International Space Station (ISS). That one might well come next."

Yikes, so sad and horrible: looks like Anne Heche is to be taken off life support, her car-crash injuries too severe after slipping into a coma. All that's pausing the switching off is to figure out organ donation as per Heche's wishes. Not RIP yet but heading that way; a bit ubiquitous as stars go during the 90s but fell off the radar for a spell.

Cruise was in Ireland recently, holidaying, stop over or location hunting?

• Advertisement

Emily Blunt has officially joined the cast of the upcoming adaptation of the classic TV series The Fall Guy.

Blunt will co-star alongside Ryan Gosling, with director David Leitch also already attached to the project in a directorial role. The film is currently slated to premiere on Friday, March 1, 2024, with Universal Pictures planning for a wide release of the film. No other roles have been announced as of yet, but prior reports on the film suggest that Universal is still looking to bolster the cast.

Currently, plot details for the film are unknown, although the series the film will be based on centers around Colt Seavers, a Hollywood stunt man who moonlights as a bounty hunter.

https://www.comingsoon.net/movies/news/1234662-emily-blunt-fall-guy

Advertisement