Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Film forum off topic/random chat thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,103 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Kiki’s has one of the most ‘noteworthy’ dubs of the Ghibli films, mainly because of the cat and Phil Hartman’s performance. It’s a very different character in Japanese vs English - some due to cultural differences, but the it also represents one of the big ‘Disney dubs’ of Ghibli films from the late 90s and early 00s. It should be noted that Miyazaki and Ghibli approved the changes - they keep quite a strict control over international releases of their films after some bad early experiences, but formed a good relationship with Disney.

Lots on the Wiki page about that particular film: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kiki%27s_Delivery_Service

The quality of dubs varies wildly with anime, from ‘grand’ to ‘very poor’. And yes the dub won’t always be the same as a more literal sub track - I have some sympathy there due to the cultural differences and fundamental timing / pacing differences between the two languages. A literal Japanese translation can sound bizarre when spoken in English. The worst case is when the dubbed version becomes the basis of the subs as well - ideally, they should be different: subs a relatively straight translation of the original version, and a dub somewhat more localised to make the speech flow better (while capturing the essence of the original writing as accurately as possible).

But I’m 100% pro subs and dislike even good dubs, even while I recognise there’s definitely a place for dubs (for younger audiences or those with reading difficulties in particular, but also just personal preference).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Interesting, so Ghibli were ok with the Kiki rejigging? The choices were so acute, and often so blunt, it kinda robbed a little of the magic of the film in that short space I tried the dub. Hadn't realised that was Phil Hartman doing the cat.

I should say, so far loving Kiki; watching it in segments (yay parent life with newborn), but it's a wee cosy hug of a film. I wanna visit that nameless city.

That rings a bell. IIRC, Squid Game fell onto that trap, that the subtitles were all over the shop and really lost some of the characters' nuance in translation.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,490 ✭✭✭brevity

What I've found on Netflix isn't that when I'm watching a movie with the kids, I have the dubbed version on but subtitles on too and quite often the speech and text don't match up at all.

Edit: just saw pixelburp's initial post mentioning the exact same point 🙄

Also, congrats on the newborn pixelburp!

• Registered Users Posts: 60,310 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Justin Lin after walking out of Fast X will now direct One Punch Man for Sony.

Julie Garner to play Madonna in the Madonna biopic.

I think that is great casting for 80’s/90’s Madonna.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,216 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Jeremy Renner missed his flight so Josh Brolin ended up talking to himself.

Greta Gerwig's Ken & Barbie

• Registered Users Posts: 28,815 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

They have nothing on the real live action Barbie and Ken

• Registered Users Posts: 85,125 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

• Advertisement

Al Pacino says he would like to see Timothée Chalamet take over his role in a sequel to Heat - Variety

• Registered Users Posts: 8,490 ✭✭✭brevity

Anyone signing up for Paramount+?

Not much on it from what I can see.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

.gotta love Bill Murray

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭sterz

Does anyone know what mystery matinee film the IFI screened in May?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,103 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Reports today that Johnny Depp is being offered a chance to reprise his role as Captain Jack and make a cool $300m for a 6th film and a spin off Disney+ series.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,926 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Ridiculous carry on.

One court ruled in his favour, one court said the claims made against him were provable to the extent required by law. Several studio people testified that he lost work because he was unprofessional and belligerent on set. Multiple people said he's spent the last few years having his lines fed to him through an earpiece when on set. The only job they could prove he lost as a result of accusations was the Harry Potter spinoff one, and that was after the UK court ruled in favour of The Sun when they called him a wife beater.

Regardless of anyone's personal opinion on him and that case, this feels like a really calculated money grab, which shouldn't surprise anyone, but it feels like a massive risk too. Not quite Morbius "It's Morbin Time" levels of misreading a situation, but still pretty risky.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Depp's poor box office return has nothing with off screen stuff and everything to do with them being bad to mediocre films.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,926 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Exactly. He hasn't been a draw for a long time, and even the Jack Sparrow shtick is old now. A lot of the things that came out during both trials, about him in a professional capacity, would make you wonder why any studio would want to take a chance on him now, especially with all the other stuff lingering now too.

• Advertisement

A brilliantly-reported, bleak long read into Randall Emmett - a producer behind some of those infamous late-career Bruce Willis stinkers (and of course, we all now have a different understanding of why Willis himself featured in those films).

Quite the story: from temporary prestige and success working with Scorsese, to financial collapse and various misconduct allegations. And a rare insight into the outrageously generous contracts that get the likes of Robert de Niro to sign up to cheap schlock.

Quite the article. Really incredible Willis can get $2m for 2 days shooting. I was thinking they might be getting 100K for these kinds of gigs 😅

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I dunno. IIRC the Copyright Laws have been pushed before based on Disney money and clout, and I daresay there's a lot sloshing around Washington to keep the Mouse in the House. It'd be a financial disaster otherwise.

Though given Disney made itself an enemy of the GOP lately, around their opposition of the "don't say gay" bill in Florida, perhaps it ain't so cut and dry either. DeSantis already punished the corp by fecking with their tax status.

Was listening to a podcast the other day and they asked a pertinent question: who actually likes Mickey Mouse? The character, I mean. He doesn't do anything, has no personality compared with the Looney Tunes. Even Mario has more charisma, both being mascots.

Reese Witherspoon and Will Ferrell are headed to the altar in a new wedding comedy for Amazon Studios.

Amazon has landed rights to the untitled movie, from writer-director Nick Stoller, in which Witherspoon and Ferrell will star and produce under their respective banners

Variety

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Saw a trailer for the Rob Zombie Munsters film. I liked Zombie's earlier films, and even some good in 31, but between the pointlessness of "3 From Hell" and the trailer for The Munsters I think I'm done with his stuff unless he gets a script editor or starts directing scripts by other screenwriters. (Bonus points if he also stops using his wife in everything he makes, but I don't see that happening...)

Good god, that looks horrendous. I don't mean the comedy or tone - but the actual technical aspects. It looks like a Student Film shot on an iPhone; even some of the audio had that unfiltered & echoed "We didn't have a boom mic" aspect to it. It can't possibly be getting a cinema release?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

It's a Peacock production so I assume a theatrical release will be minimal, if at all.

• Advertisement

It's a production that looks bad on purpose, which is always a risky gamble. It clearly looks cheap and amateurish, but also Zombie's trying to emulate the feel of the cheapo retro sitcom it's based on. Does seem very iffy in that trailer, but hard to tell whether the 'bad on purpose' shtick works without seeing the final thing. But The Love Witch set a high bar for how retro sitcom throwbacks can look. Shoot on film, dammit!

Advertisement