Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Film forum off topic/random chat thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,216 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I had heard it would focus on his relationship with Josephine, as played by Jodie Comer. I don't think it's going to be an epic per se, ala the last Napoleon biopic.

Fair play for that. They get a lot of stick for their outdated equipment, but that's a pretty cool idea.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,926 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Jodie Comer isn't in it anymore, Vanessa Kirby is playing Josephine now, but yeah, it's supposed to cover his rise but through the lens of their relationship.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Ah, shame. Comer seems in demand. The big question will be ... comedy French accents?

If they really commit and go full Allo, Allo style, I'd be in, 100%

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,656 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Gooood moaning.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,310 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I've often wondered over the last few years have any of the streaming platforms ever reached out Alex Cox to either direct something for them or even do a a modern take on Moviedrome which I think could work on streaming.

I assume any movie review show would explicitly prohibit the host from reviewing Netflix's own movies!

To be fair they have produced quite a few award nominated and winning movies over the last few years.

10% very good 40% good to avergae and 50% stinkers

They did bring Elvira back to intro movies so a Moviedrome type show could work and I could see Netflix more than other streaming platforms being prepared to take piss out of themselves on it on those stinkers.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,216 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Walked around the Red Rock amphitheatre when I was in Colorado last month. I see they've the latest Thor film coming up in a few weeks.

One of those forgotten gems of the 90s; watched it again very recently in fact and it absolutely holds up. Very trope heavy but executed with confidence; while the use of real spiders only inches up the creep factor. Doubtless a remake would lean into CGI spiders and they rarely work.

I guess using scores of real spiders wouldn't really fly in this day and age though. All the more reason to leave the project on the shelf.

With spelling bees back in the news, it's well worth checking out Spellbound if you get a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭sam t smith

I watched ‘Black Sea’ last night with Jude Law from 2014.

When they get to the port to collect the submarine there is a shot of the Moskva - the Russian ship that the Ukrainians sank.

It is fairly distinctive with the sets of diagonal missile tubes plus the 121 identification.

I'm finding this to be very funny... Morbius was re-released by Sony, thinking they could cash in on the popularity of the memes surrounding the movie. Eh, no.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

This one was announced a long time ago but Apple being the distributor is new to me.

Is it still a film or is now a series?

This could be a fun and great listen.

Quentin Tarantino And Roger Avary Launching ‘The Video Archives Podcast

Quentin Tarantino And Roger Avary are going back to their South Bay roots. The duo, who first met and bonded while working together at the fabled Video Archives movie rental store in Manhattan Beach, California, are launching a podcast this summer based on the long-closed store’s collection of close to 8,000 VHS tapes and DVDs, which Tarantino now owns.

Tarantino and Avary, who won the Best Original Screenplay Oscar in 1995 for Pulp Fiction, said in a joint statement, “We never imagined that 30 years after we worked together behind the counter at Video Archives, we would be together again doing the exact same thing we did back then: talking passionately about movies on VHS.”

You can listen to an audio trailer below.....

Haha wtf? Talk about failing to read the room. You'd have to wonder what the thought process was in the marketing / distribution department that they made the decision.

I saw Leto put a thing on TikTok where he's reading a script for Morbius 2 - It's Morbin Time, so they seem to have simultaneously misread the situation, and killed the joke entirely

• Advertisement

Looks like Brad Pitt will produce and star in Joseph Kosinski's next feature; a F1 movie now acquired by Apple as part of a 30 day cinema release before appearing on Apple Tv. Lewis Hamilton will also produce, though there's no mention yet if F1 itself will be involved in the production.

It's still a film. Scott announced it in October 2020, while still under contract with 20th Century Studios, but his contract was up at the end of the year and I guess they weren't interested in extending it. Apple came in in January 2021 and financed it. I belive they started filming in February of this year and have already finished.

New Jurassic World film is getting slated in the reviews. 39% from tomato critics. And yet it'll still take in millions and is taking up nearly half the screenings in my local cinema next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,924 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Try billions: just to depress you further, J World & Fallen Kingdom made $1.6 and $1.3 billion globally; Fallen Kingdom got a bit of a shellacking too yet only took $300 million off the take - and that was probably just franchise fatigue.

The fact they've got the original cast in this new one will probably override the fact that the reviews are crap and it'll do massive numbers again.

I'm not anti franchise, anti blockbuster, anti sequel, anti any of it, but looking at my local cinema listing for the next few weeks is depressing as f***. Granted it's a small cinema, but between Jurassic Park, Top Gun, Lightyear, and Doctor Strange, there's about 10 showings of anything else, and about 5 of them are Downton.

I suppose its summer blockbuster season and things are back to pre-covid ways again, so it's not exactly a new phenomenon, but it does make me miss living in Dublin where there were at least options.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,103 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

No doubt modern blockbusters take over multiplexes and mainstream to a very depressing degree. It is quite a quiet period for cinema releases overall though - there's not a whole lot in the space between 'niche arthouse fare' and 'mega-franchise blockbuster' at the moment. Some of the ones that do fit the bill - like Everything Everywhere... and An Cailín Ciúin - have already been around for a good few weeks. Men possibly as well, although that's not very good :P

It's a relatively fallow period beyond those, with only really Elvis and Good Luck To You, Leo Grande being non-franchise crossover films in the coming weeks - and even at that Elvis is a $200m blockbuster. The post-COVID flood of delayed new releases has stopped now, and we're into that annual purgatory period where we have to wait for the festival favourites to start getting wider releases.

That said, it'd be nice if more multiplexes gave over even one or two screenings a week for the really small, independent and world cinema fare that usually doesn't break out beyond the dedicated arthouse cinemas.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭megaten

Though the first Jurassic World was pretty good whenever the humans had their mouth shut.

I'm (finally getting around to) watching Kiki's Delivery Service, and just out of mild curiousity, I left the subtitles on & switched to English audio. Within about a minute, I clocked a bunch of clear differences between what was written - and what was spoken by the actors.

Is this a known problem / issue? Like here's an especially "bad" example from 4 minutes in:

Audio: Well I'm going to be the very best witch that I can be mom. And I know having a good heart is important.

Subtitle: I know that having a good heart is very important. I wish I could show you that my heart is ready.

Yikes. It's a small thing but it's quite interesting how the audio is more ... simplisitic with what it's expressing than the more nuanced, almost lyrical, subtitles. Though I wonder: which is the right translation?

Edit: there's even a point, when Kiki is sneaking away from a policemen, where there's no dialogue in the Japanese, but the English version has Kiki's cat chiding her for sneaking away. Weird.

• Advertisement

I watched Welcome To Eden recently, it's in Spanish, and some of the subtitles felt a bit weird to me. I don't speak Spanish but they still felt kind of off in places. So when I saw someone had put some of the scenes on YouTube with their own subtitles, I rewatched a few of the scenes, and they were different enough to change the tone/intent of some of the scenes. Like yourself I'm not sure which ones are correct but the Netflix ones seem like the most basic interpretation of the conversation, like a direct translation, whereas the YouTube ones felt like someone who was fluent in both Spanish and English and was able to phrase things how we would in English and add a bit more depth to the scenes.

I do remember reading something a while ago about the demand for non English shows leading to a demand for translators, and how some streamers were valuing speed and low cost over quality. You'd think the Ghibli films would have high quality dubs and subtitles at this point though.

Advertisement