Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Livestock/General Farming photo thread TAKE #2 ::::RULES IN 1st POST::::

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭DukeCaboom

Last bit of grass and natures shed!

I presume you haven't contributed to the "snotty weanling" thread :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭CloughCasey1

DukeCaboom wrote: »
    I presume you haven't contributed to the "snotty weanling" thread :)

I haven't. Actually lost one last week but above any of them he was flying it with no coughing and I know the farm i bought him out of, so he would have been well dosed etc. Problem with weanlings is its not what you do with them, its what was done before you got them and the land they came off. Lots of weanlings pumped up with meal and still on their on their mother's and in the blink of an eye they are standing in a mart for 5 or 6 hours, then a trailer spin, let into in a cold damp shed on meal they may or may not have been on before and 10 others screeching and balling beside them. That's when the lack of dosing and vaccinations tells its story. Did all the cattle up to a 15mts old with Albex and turbo thrive 2 weeks ago and nice shine coming back on them again. Older cattle don't need a fluke dose here unless they are bought in that year.

I haven't. Actually lost one last week but above any of them he was flying it with no coughing and I know the farm i bought him out of, so he would have been well dosed etc. Problem with weanlings is its not what you do with them, its what was done before you got them and the land they came off. Lots of weanlings pumped up with meal and still on their on their mother's and in the blink of an eye they are standing in a mart for 5 or 6 hours, then a trailer spin, let into in a cold damp shed on meal they may or may not have been on before and 10 others screeching and balling beside them. That's when the lack of dosing and vaccinations tells its story. Did all the cattle up to a 15mts old with Albex and turbo thrive 2 weeks ago and nice shine coming back on them again. Older cattle don't need a fluke dose here unless they are bought in that year.

That's funny you should say that. A friend of mine bought fr runners off a chap six weeks ago & they've his heart broke. Reckons now yer man never had them dosed.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭furandfeather

10 day old lisadell jackpot bull calf out of a dickens heifer

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Neo Sanders

10 day old lisadell jackpot bull calf out of a dickens heifer

Looks a good one, maybe the next 52k si bull 😉

• Advertisement

Looks a good one, maybe the next 52k si bull ��

What sort of lucks penny would I have to give back out of that??!!

What sort of lucks penny would I have to give back out of that??!!

LOL,, €20????

What did you make of the bull making 52k? Was he better than anything seen before? He had great pedigree... Or was there some bit of payback and everyone wins with all the publicity?

I presume his straws will be available, would you be eager to use him?

LOL,, €20????

What did you make of the bull making 52k? Was he better than anything seen before? He had great pedigree... Or was there some bit of payback and everyone wins with all the publicity?

I presume his straws will be available, would you be eager to use him?

I wouldn't know anything about the politics of it all I do know is he was the finest simmental bull iv seen in the flesh.
    Hes gone to England so I dunno what the story is on straws.

I wouldn't know anything about the politics of it all I do know is he was the finest simmental bull iv seen in the flesh.
    Hes gone to England so I dunno what the story is on straws.

If he is that good then maybe there's no politics. Don't popular ai bulls make hundreds of thousands in semen sales?? Fair play to the breeder. It'll be interesting to see how the siblings do over the coming years...

It's also good for the SI breed, they have been the poor relation to ch and lm over the years... I always liked them, I think they are underrated in general

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭Dozer1

Last calf of 2020.. first calver I bought a few months back

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Dozer1 wrote: »

I like that lass. Not too big, well shaped.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭Dozer1

As they'd say in the mart...you're a judge..you're a judge...

To be fair I've bought a few off the same man and they are quiet as lambs which in the important thing. She's a big enough lady but hopefully will be lucky

Dozer1 wrote: »

Awesome shed too!!

First limo born here since the days of oei !
    Lodge hamlet out of a simmental heifer

• Registered Users Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Lovely calf

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭tanko

Lovely calf, any bother calving him?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Lovely calf, great shape

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

Oei would put you off them for a while alright. Quality lunatics!

tanko wrote: »
    Lovely calf, any bother calving him?

Decent pull but nothing crazy. Think I'd only use him on a 2nd calver again

• Registered Users Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭Base price

For those that are interested - the Irish Shorthorn premier beef sale is on the 21st of Nov at Roscommon mart on the LSL (Livestock Live) app. There are also some organic registered animals in the catalogue. Look on their facebook page for more details.
    https://www.facebook.com/irishshorthorn/photos/a.672394209637324/1452900724919998/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Gudstock

Base price wrote: »
    For those that are interested - the Irish Shorthorn premier beef sale is on the 21st of Nov at Roscommon mart on the LSL (Livestock Live) app. There are also some organic registered animals in the catalogue. Look on their facebook page for more details.
    https://www.facebook.com/irishshorthorn/photos/a.672394209637324/1452900724919998/

Looks like some great stock from pics posted on facebook.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,539 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Plastic wrap storage always was a problem.
    We started using tonn bags few years ago, builders trestle holds it open handy.

7-E6-FF8-BA-AB12-447-C-B1-DA-AA11-C8-D65-AF6.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,168 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

We had a Solway bin. Got a bag of excess draining stones we put in on top to keep it compacted. Lift it in an out with the front loader.

5Ob9HSusYxjgDKOknbTtGGVHk9JguwwEox8Q8uS9iD08mQ0dfRZbcTz6Qnw0Y_5e42Wah-2xq5uk1XJb2l689CTJyiweHnwQUu4HnYPIt9YiuRP6QKz-2bGQANOhbQ

Only problem was that the plastic liner tended to go brittle and break up. Moved to a similar setup with trestles.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,738 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

I got it collected this year for first time. A lot less hassle. I had an ibc cage full and he just shook the plastic out of it with the grab. He caught the builders bag and threw it in, I was expecting to get the empty back.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 11,111 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

We had a Solway bin. Got a bag of excess draining stones we put in on top to keep it compacted. Lift it in an out with the front loader.

5Ob9HSusYxjgDKOknbTtGGVHk9JguwwEox8Q8uS9iD08mQ0dfRZbcTz6Qnw0Y_5e42Wah-2xq5uk1XJb2l689CTJyiweHnwQUu4HnYPIt9YiuRP6QKz-2bGQANOhbQ

Only problem was that the plastic liner tended to go brittle and break up. Moved to a similar setup with trestles.

I've the same, like all solway stuff it's dear, we've their lambing pens as well...... lifetime job.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,539 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

I got it collected this year for first time. A lot less hassle. I had an ibc cage full and he just shook the plastic out of it with the grab. He caught the builders bag and threw it in, I was expecting to get the empty back.

Each week I’d tramp down the wraps into the bottom of the bag, tie off the top when it’s full. I’d hate to be trying to empty the bag to give you back the empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,168 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Has anyone used a telescopic forcing gate in a crush?
    Was thinking of adding one due to an awkward layout.
    How do they work - do they extend easily?

His nibs gone to his winter hse today

• Registered Users Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭Base price

DukeCaboom wrote: »
    His nibs gone to his winter hse today
    I'm envious of your winterage in a nice sorta way, iykwim :)

Looking at the backdrop - are there any decent sized pollock to be caught off it.

• Advertisement

Base price wrote: »
    I'm envious of your winterage in a nice sorta way, iykwim :)

Looking at the backdrop - are there any decent sized pollock to be caught off it.

There's always tiny little fishing boats off it.
    Its a funny bay,its 6 miles to the other side but it's shallow.
    There's mussel farm just to the left of the picture.

Advertisement