Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Livestock/General Farming photo thread TAKE #2 ::::RULES IN 1st POST::::

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,239 ✭✭✭tanko

That red heifer would fire out an ivor, Lm2014, great deep heifer,

True, he's an ideal Lim bull for heifers.

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭forgottenhills

She could raise the bars a few notches if that was a Limousin jumping.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,170 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

She could raise the bars a few notches if that was a Limousin jumping.

I've seen Limousins do the 'wall of death'. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,270 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

Life cycle of a heifer.

534236.jpeg

534232.jpeg

534233.jpeg

534234.jpeg

534235.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

50HX wrote: »
    Something handy first time around Aa or Speckled park, not a fan of larger calves for first timers

Father always says let em calve something that they can first time without wrecking them
    Back in calf quicker hopefully

What would you recommend tanko

I’ve had good success with GJB on the same sort of heifer as that EDJ

• Advertisement

KK - What did your own taste like compared to others?

What kind of disease

Found the thread! See post #3

https://thefarmingforum.co.uk/index.php?threads/slats-vs-straw.274128/#post-6012982

I'm still considering getting some in at least as a wee experiment to see how they go. However, this is the thing that is holding me back. Anyone know anything about bacteria between mats and slats?

Just watching some of the cattle on the slats and from a welfare perspective they look poor - damp and dirty. Whereas the bull in his own pen with a cow mat is as happy as Larry.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,270 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

KK - What did your own taste like compared to others?

Twas lovely alright. In line with butchers but way ahead of supermarket meat.

I’ll try a different breed next time. This is the trial.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Found the thread! See post #3

https://thefarmingforum.co.uk/index.php?threads/slats-vs-straw.274128/#post-6012982

I'm still considering getting some in at least as a wee experiment to see how they go. However, this is the thing that is holding me back. Anyone know anything about bacteria between mats and slats?

Just watching some of the cattle on the slats and from a welfare perspective they look poor - damp and dirty. Whereas the bull in his own pen with a cow mat is as happy as Larry.

Believe half of what you see and nothing of what you hear, you'll find videos on YouTube of cattle running and jumping around on on slats. The cattles dung is far more important for cleanliness, if tbe dung is solid you'll have clean cattle, it's scutter and scour that leads to them dirtying each other

We have a couple that are skittering alright. Not sure how to dry them up apart from switching to hay/haylage. The bales at the front are the last ones done this year and so are a bit wetter than normal. Might be part of the problem.
    I just see from a welfare perspective that the mats might be a good idea. However, they are damn expensive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭MikeSoys

Just wondering
    I've cattle in a slatted shed( about 7 bullocks a pen).. . I'd like to have the shed a little cleaner does anyone clean the shed during the winter ie let cattle out to a yard and remove the muck and put them back in after a quick power wash say once a week or anything?, love to see a pic or two of how other peoples sheds are

• Registered Users Posts: 4,596 ✭✭✭White Clover

MikeSoys wrote: »
    Just wondering
    I've cattle in a slatted shed( about 7 bullocks a pen).. . I'd like to have the shed a little cleaner does anyone clean the shed during the winter ie let cattle out to a yard and remove the muck and put them back in after a quick power wash say once a week or anything?, love to see a pic or two of how other peoples sheds are

What size are the pens? Too few or too many in the pen and they'll be dirty.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

Just wondering

For the cows I use a wide spade to gather it to where their back legs are at when they are at feed barrier, they will trample it down through the slats in no length of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Just wondering

Morning & evening here, all is scraped down to just in front of their back feet. Keeps stock quiet too when you're rummaging about between them.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,539 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Morning & evening here, all is scraped down to just in front of their back feet. Keeps stock quiet too when you're rummaging about between them.

Know a few people who do this.

We don’t

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

_Brian wrote: »
    Know a few people who do this.

We don’t

Just suits here as I'm generally in the back with creep feeding anyway. Depends on the slope with the lying area/if there's a lying area etc too, I'd not be at all happy if I hadn't ours cleaned down daily :o

• Registered Users Posts: 18,539 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Just suits here as I'm generally in the back with creep feeding anyway. Depends on the slope with the lying area/if there's a lying area etc too, I'd not be at all happy if I hadn't ours cleaned down daily :o

Yea I think it’s to do with layout amd creeps etc.

We just have straight sorted bays no creep etc and find that stock keep them clean.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭furandfeather

Nice start to the morning Twin gunshot heifers

Quickly followed by pulling dead lgl bull calf out of a ped charlolais cow - oh the joys of farming !

• Registered Users Posts: 9,239 ✭✭✭tanko

Lovely markings on those calves, will you try and foster one onto the other cow?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Quickly followed by pulling dead lgl bull calf out of a ped charlolais cow - oh the joys of farming !

Sadly comes to all of us
    It’s sickening but better outside the house

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭furandfeather

tanko wrote: »
    Lovely markings on those calves, will you try and foster one onto the other cow?

I thought about it then quickly dismissed it. Less work im looking for! In fairness their mother will have plenty to rear them

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Neo Sanders

Pity bout the ch.. Lovely sí calves, you'll surely keep them , i had 2 sets of twins off gunshot last year, out of 5 put to him... Sounds like more than a coincidence??

Pity bout the ch.. Lovely sí calves, you'll surely keep them , i had 2 sets of twins off gunshot last year, out of 5 put to him... Sounds like more than a coincidence??

What kind of cows

What kind of cows

SIX cows

SIX cows

Simmental cows be more likely to have twins, has nothing to do with the choice of bull

hi just love to see others slatted sheds to see whare i am(on their cleanness) ..see attached is pics taken from my 4 bay single. last year i put cattle out of each shed and gave it a quick clean. only to be dirty again the next day.
    pens are 16'x16'(i think)- 7 cattle in each pen(their about 560-610kgs each)

hi just love to see others slatted sheds to see whare i am(on their cleanness) ..see attached is pics taken from my 4 bay single. last year i put cattle out of each shed and gave it a quick clean. only to be dirty again the next day.

IMO you're under stocked, I have similar size pens, I've 13 500kg animals in that pen. I'd put 10 or 11 of the size you mentioned.... The slats are cleaner than yours and I never clean them.... I've rubber also.... Sorry I won't have a picture for a few days, bit laid up at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 11,111 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

tanko wrote: »

I wonder could thay be wet fostered like we do with lambs, if it was that simple it'd be a shame not to

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭RobinBanks

I have those mats aswell. Cattke are filthy and I have 7 large cows per pin. The grips in the rubber mats hold allot of muck.

• Advertisement

IMO you're under stocked, I have similar size pens, I've 13 500kg animals in that pen. I'd put 10 or 11 of the size you mentioned.... The slats are cleaner than yours and I never clean them.... I've rubber also.... Sorry I won't have a picture for a few days, bit laid up at the moment

okay, i should have had pens wider[in hindsight]..when feeding the 7 fill up the barrier ..more then 8 might mean their not all able to eat.

Advertisement