Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Livestock/General Farming photo thread TAKE #2 ::::RULES IN 1st POST::::

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭RobinBanks

Tight squeeze in this pin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,417 ✭✭✭High bike

RobinBanks wrote: »
    How do u find the locking barriers, would u Ai a cow in it

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭furandfeather

I'm officially on the roan gravy train! !

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Very consistent and impressive, strawberry one looks odd between them.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,239 ✭✭✭tanko

I'm officially on the roan gravy train! !

If she's off EBY she'll be worth €5K next year and €9K the following year:cool:

• Advertisement

tanko wrote: »
    If she's off EBY she'll be worth €5K next year and €9K the following year:cool:

Lol. Just throw a halter over her and she could be worth more!!!

High bike wrote: »
    How do u find the locking barriers, would u Ai a cow in it

I do everything bar AI. But if I done ai course I wouldn't hesitate. Gave them their bolus today in them.

Finally got the extension to the shed finished today. Should have a bit of comfort now

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Well jealous! Looks lovely & open too.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,741 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Super job.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Advertisement

Lovely job,have u got cattle out still?

High bike wrote: »
    Lovely job,have u got cattle out still?

Them few were out until today. Just a couple of incalf heifers left out in a bit of rough grazing now

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Neo Sanders

Finally got the extension to the shed finished today. Should have a bit of comfort now

Very nice, pity to dirty it... How does set-up work... I see creep Gates and cubicles....

Is it for autumn calvers, cows go back to lie on d cubicles and calves suck them on d slats?? Will the cows not just lie on the slats? Will they be cleaner lying on d cubicles??

I obviously know nothing about cubicles

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,980 Mod ✭✭✭✭Genghis Cant

Some lump of a Sim cow in the first pic.

Great set-up.

I do everything bar AI. But if I done ai course I wouldn't hesitate. Gave them their bolus today in them.

Who made the barriers and do all lock when set to?? I got a couple of Condon engineering ones this year.... Not that impressed, the plastic lug that locks the animan doesn't fall into place for all sections.. It's a bit hit and miss, but rarely would they all lock.... . Do I need to lubricate them somehow?

Very nice, pity to dirty it... How does set-up work... I see creep Gates and cubicles....

Is it for autumn calvers, cows go back to lie on d cubicles and calves suck them on d slats?? Will the cows not just lie on the slats? Will they be cleaner lying on d cubicles??

I obviously know nothing about cubicles

Ya its for autumn/winter calvers. It can be set up for a few different scenarios by changing a couple of gates around. There's another creep gate up at the end of the cubicles, that will be the main one.
    The cows stay alot cleaner on cubicles, there's nice comfy mats for them to lie on up there.

So as its setup there now theres a pen for the bull. A pen for 10 cows and 10 calves with a creep lie back for them. A pen for few heifers. A calving pen out back. Iv to fit a crush yet somewhere

Lovely set up fair play

Who made the barriers and do all lock when set to?? I got a couple of Condon engineering ones this year.... Not that impressed, the plastic lug that locks the animan doesn't fall into place for all sections.. It's a bit hit and miss, but rarely would they all lock.... . Do I need to lubricate them somehow?

Mine are the Jourdain barriers from Teemore Eng. I only ever had one issue kinda relating to your question. I had a cow that was very cute. She would drop her head really fast and and make the barrier jump across the lock position. Used to drive me mad.

Mine are the Jourdain barriers from Teemore Eng. I only ever had one issue kinda relating to your question. I had a cow that was very cute. She would drop her head really fast and and make the barrier jump across the lock position. Used to drive me mad.

She's a cute one... Thanks for that, mine just don't reliably click into the lock position, I'll give Condon a call sometime to ask about it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,798 ✭✭✭50HX

Ready for AI

NIn
    Fsz
    Edj

• Advertisement

Nice heifers, what will you put on them?

Nice heifers, what will you put on them?

Something handy first time around Aa or Speckled park, not a fan of larger calves for first timers

Father always says let em calve something that they can first time without wrecking them
    Back in calf quicker hopefully

What would you recommend tanko

I’d put Salers on them, something like Knottown Roy if you’re with PG or Munster.

I’d put Salers on them, something like Knottown Roy if you’re with PG or Munster.

I have RIo in the pot, never really went with salers before

Or as the aul lads rou d here call em Solairs:D

50HX wrote: »
    I have RIo in the pot, never really went with salers before

Or as the aul lads rou d here call em Solairs:D
    your one of the lucky ones,great bull for first time calvers and great cows too.He’s not available any more afaik

• Registered Users Posts: 8,170 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Father always says let em calve something that they can first time without wrecking them

That's a good strategy. First calf is usually not the best they will ever rear, so get something out small and with no damage or trauma.

Small live calf better than a big dead one, any day.
    What breeding is in the red lim?

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

She' out of an OMA mother with an unknown Ch sire

She the only white limo i've ever seen according to genotyping0:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Something handy first time around Aa or Speckled park, not a fan of larger calves for first timers

What would you recommend tanko

That red heifer would fire out an ivor, Lm2014, great deep heifer,

• Advertisement

Advertisement