Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Livestock/General Farming photo thread TAKE #2 ::::RULES IN 1st POST::::

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,954 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

How often did you need to clean out the straw lie back?

Just the once, in the spring time

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Dozer1

1st ever online mart purchase. I'd be embarrassed to say where I was when I bought them as far from wellies and cow****e imaginable. Was watching the sale thought they were value took a chance...AI bred bull calf at foot

• Registered Users Posts: 10,710 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Dozer1 wrote: »
    1st ever online mart purchase. I'd be embarrassed to say where I was when I bought them as far from wellies and cow****e imaginable. Was watching the sale thought they were value took a chance...AI bred bull calf at foot

Go on, spill the beans...

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

Ah Patsy it would ruin my farming reputation...I was in the shopping centre of all places so many many funny looks being given:)
    Shes handy but loads of milk at 1200 euro incl fees I think it wasn't too harsh. Shes only Feb18

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭50HX

Well worth it at that price

Over half back on the calf....cheap cow

Is she in calf?

• Advertisement

50HX wrote: »
    Well worth it at that price

Over half back on the calf....cheap cow

Is she in calf?

Icbf says calf is lm2014..think she was announced as back incalf to him again with 2 weeks. I didn't see her till this evening as friend brought her home and he has cards and mart docket

• Registered Users Posts: 10,710 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Ah Patsy it would ruin my farming reputation...I was in the shopping centre of all places so many many funny looks being given:)
    Shes handy but loads of milk at 1200 euro incl fees I think it wasn't too harsh. Shes only Feb18

I was thinking 1350 myself so ya. Best of luck with her.
    A bit of meal would go a long way with her. If she's Feb 2018 and that milky, she might be under a bit of pressure.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

I was thinking 1350 myself so ya. Best of luck with her.
    A bit of meal would go a long way with her. If she's Feb 2018 and that milky, she might be under a bit of pressure.

Personally. The calf is a bit plain for my liking. He doesn't look too hungry so don't see where the improvement will come from myslef

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭CloughCasey1

Personally. The calf is a bit plain for my liking. He doesn't look too hungry so don't see where the improvement will come from myslef

Every animal is plain compared to yer stock. My best cattle would be your worst. ; )

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭CloughCasey1

How often did you need to clean out the straw lie back?

I don't at all. I let it build up. Creates a great bed under them. Mositure seeps away to the passage and we clean the passage twice a week. Passage is lower than the feeding apron and the lie back. 9x3 timber with gap under it to let piss into passage and let the straw build up over the winter. Bought a straw blower. Best H&S purchase ever. id avoid feeding 2nd cut or silage that wasn't wilted well as it makes an awful mess.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,394 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Bought a straw blower. Best H&S purchase ever.

Careful with them. Heard of a few stories where a stone in the straw was pelted out of the blower and killed cattle where it hit them right on the noggin

• Registered Users Posts: 8,118 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Icbf says calf is lm2014..think she was announced as back incalf to him again with 2 weeks. I didn't see her till this evening as friend brought her home and he has cards and mart docket

How are the bulls now?

I read on a british forum that there were issues with germs and diseases being trapped by slat mats and that the Irish were taking them out. Think it was the Farming Forum in a thread relating to sloped sheds.
    Any truth in this?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Two heifer chosen to keep this winter for replacement. Pics show our different land types too, top is red clay, lower is wet dauby type.

This lady is by our own bred bull (KZH) which got reserve champ in Carrick. Dam is Crossmolina Jupiter/Navarin so I have a slight reservation about milk in this heifer but we'll try her anyway.
    1TP06fah.jpg

This roan is by a rag of a yoke (my affectionate term for him :pac:) off THZ, with ERE & Tarot backbreeding, which bulled too many cows here last summer after he was sent back to us as subfertile. Honestly not complaining, I take all my cursing back, his calves are shaping up lovely.
    3XJ2CCah.jpg

I read on a british forum that there were issues with germs and diseases being trapped by slat mats and that the Irish were taking them out. Think it was the Farming Forum in a thread relating to sloped sheds.
    Any truth in this?

What kind of disease

Not sure - was just a passing comment on an old thread - ~1 - 2 years ago. Noone else picked up on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭DukeCaboom

Any of the Clare lads know if there's a weanlings show n sale in ennis the end of Aug start of Sept... I can't see it on there fb page and I need to plan my bus man's holiday. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭DukeCaboom

https://youtu.be/NAgja3MY--E third video from the dovea virtual tour.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,248 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

This lad is off to the mart today. He lost a tag the last trip. April of last year. Mother is spx and Off stock bull.

Interesting to see how he goes with colouring.

This lad is off to the mart today. He lost a tag the last trip. April of last year. Mother is spx and Off stock bull.

Interesting to see how he goes with colouring.

How did it go today - hopefully a better day on the ranch than yesterday?

• Advertisement

How did it go today - hopefully a better day on the ranch than yesterday?

330kG and €770. His black equivalent same age and weight made €730 a few weeks back.
    Happy enough with that as his mother costs nothing to keep.

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭john mayo 10

Creep feeding weanlings

Creep feeding weanlings

Nice job- do you have a creep gate on it?

Tall electric fence posts are handier

No. Just left a space for calves to get in. 3 foot wide by 4 foot high approx. Cows can't get in. I can run electric fence at the top if I have to if cows starting smashing

• Registered Users Posts: 3,527 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

2 for the cull list, the lim cow is 1 of the best breeding cows I have even though she's nothing special to look it. She kept on prolapseing after calving this year and I had to get her stitched. The mousey calf is a lim out off a bb X ba springer that I had to section and her pelvis was tiny so she's for culling aswell. He's a cracker if he was any other colour.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,811 ✭✭✭893bet

No. Just left a space for calves to get in. 3 foot wide by 4 foot high approx. Cows can't get in. I can run electric fence at the top if I have to if cows starting smashing

Pic?

893bet wrote: »
    Pic?

Pic of pen

There is no way that would keep out our cows!

• Advertisement

893bet wrote: »
    A95-E1641-C194-4-C69-AB6-D-636005-A0-DB2-C.jpg

Couple of weanlings. 3 zags to the left (7, 10, 7 months), A LM2388 (7 month) and a zag (5 months).

Some annoyed mothers anxious to show the calves the best way to eat ration..

A09-B6-E83-C134-4-CFF-86-B4-5-C9-F7815151-F.jpg

Sold this lad second from left today.

He was 367 when we weighted him the first week of July for beep.

Sold today @405kg and 1030. Was happy enough and was one of the better prices on the day from watching online.

Advertisement