Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Livestock/General Farming photo thread TAKE #2 ::::RULES IN 1st POST::::

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭The Real Elmer Fudd

893bet wrote: »
    There is no way that would keep out our cows!

+1 Tried the exact same set up a few years ago. Within 5 mins the cows had just put the head down and pushed on in. They had it wrecked 5 mins after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,219 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Spotted this spoil heap beside a dung pat.
    Pulled back the grass to reveal a miniture rabbit burrow going down where the dung pat used to be.

Dung beetle tunnel.
    20200816-174600.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,527 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

2yo fiston heifer in calf to the sim bull. I bought her this time last year and she must have been pumped with meal because she was fairly racked looking after the winter. Has done a great thrive over the last 2 months... She's nearly worth what I have for her again now :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,527 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

DukeCaboom wrote: »
    Any of the Clare lads know if there's a weanlings show n sale in ennis the end of Aug start of Sept... I can't see it on there fb page and I need to plan my bus man's holiday. Thanks

Got a text from them today to say it's on the 25th of August.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

May BZC bull. Quite like him, his full sister is somewhere up the thread recently, the one I put incalf to the blond- Glacon.
    Only issue is he's supposed to be the other side of the wire :pac:

r3HOWu8h.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,958 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

May BZC bull. Quite like him, his full sister is somewhere up the thread recently, the one I put incalf to the blond- Glacon.
    Only issue is he's supposed to be the other side of the wire :pac:

r3HOWu8h.jpg

Ah the poor fella couldn’t wait
    That’ll be a nice cross

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭RD10

Fiston bull born end of Feb, twin to a heifer.
    Hopefully leave a few pound come sale time

• Registered Users Posts: 9,229 ✭✭✭tanko

Very nice. Fiston seems to bring lots of twins.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

tanko wrote: »
    Very nice. Fiston seems to bring lots of twins.

Nothing to do with the bull, fiston just used on a lot of cows

Nothing to do with the bull, fiston just used on a lot of cows

From what I’ve seen here and on local farms i think there’s more to it than that.

I’ve had more twins of Fiston here than any other bull and I’ve used the other bulls more often that’s enough evidence for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

I would have got a good twins from Zag. Had 1cow had twins every year off him.

From what I’ve seen here and on local farms i think there’s more to it than that.

I’ve had more twins of Fiston here than any other bull and I’ve used the other bulls more often that’s enough evidence for me.

So you think that Is conclusive so?

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭K9

Bull has nothing to do with twins. Either two eggs are released or embryo splits I think

• Registered Users Posts: 29,236 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

K9 wrote: »
    Bull has nothing to do with twins. Either two eggs are released or embryo splits I think

I dont know my dad often tells of the first 5 autumn calvers here one year all had twins, all off the same bull.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 mallethead2

I never had twins here
    until I bought a limo bull from the roundhill herd
    I have him 5 years and have had at least 2 sets every year

whelan2 wrote: »
    I dont know my dad often tells of the first 5 autumn calvers here one year all had twins, all off the same bull.

Odds of that are far more probable than the euro millions

• Registered Users Posts: 29,236 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Odds of that are far more probable than the euro millions

Ye must ask him the code of the bull. I think 3 of the sets were fr heifers

• Registered Users Posts: 11,185 ✭✭✭✭Base price

I've been driving to Naas in the last few days drawing straw and whilst passing through the Enfield bypass I spotted what I think are two Longhorn cattle in a field with other cattle on the left. Unfortunately I couldn't stop to take a pic cause it's a very busy road.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭pure breed

Is it possible to check somewhere if a cow that has been sold is slaughtered?
    Looking to see a couple cows we sold few weeks ago. TIA.

pure breed wrote: »
    Is it possible to check somewhere if a cow that has been sold is slaughtered?
    Looking to see a couple cows we sold few weeks ago. TIA.

If you have ICBF HerdPlus and the cows were genotyped you can check on ICBF.com under BDGP, then genotype details then genotype information.
    This gives a list of all the animals you have genotyped and the dates they were slaughtered if they’re dead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭pure breed

tanko wrote:
    If you have ICBF HerdPlus and the cows were genotyped you can check on ICBF.com under BDGP, then genotype details then genotype information. This gives a list of all the animals you have genotyped and the dates they were slaughtered if they’re dead.

I don't think that these old cows were genotyped but I have herdplus so will check it out. Thanks for the help.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

Base price wrote: »
    I've been driving to Naas in the last few days drawing straw and whilst passing through the Enfield bypass I spotted what I think are two Longhorn cattle in a field with other cattle on the left. Unfortunately I couldn't stop to take a pic cause it's a very busy road.

Are you sure they aren’t Luings?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,713 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

English or Texas Longhorn?

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

Are you sure they aren’t Luings?
    No they don't look the same.

English or Texas Longhorn?
    The look like british longhorn. Red/white with downward growing horns about a foot long. I didn't get to see if they were heifers or bulls.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,876 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

The look like british longhorn. Red/white with downward growing horns about a foot long. I didn't get to see if they were heifers or bulls.

There one of the few Irish or English breeds of cattle I've never seen coming through the mart. It's surprising what you'll see at times, Highlands and Galloway's wouldn't be that unusual and there's one man that keeps Lincoln Red's which I'd say would be very much a minority breed in this country. Speckle parks have become very popular in recent years and I saw a Romagnola bullock a few weeks back. I've a fondness for roan coloured cattle although the horns aren't very practical around a feeder or in shed's.

There one of the few Irish or English breeds of cattle I've never seen coming through the mart. It's surprising what you'll see at times, Highlands and Galloway's wouldn't be that unusual and there's one man that keeps Lincoln Red's which I'd say would be very much a minority breed in this country. Speckle parks have become very popular in recent years and I saw a Romagnola bullock a few weeks back. I've a fondness for roan coloured cattle although the horns aren't very practical around a feeder or in shed's.
    There were a few Romangola breeders in the late 80's/90's with many of the main county shows having classes for them including the Spring Show.

I hope to head up to that part of the country in the next week or so to have a look at a pbr heifer that I might buy for nostalgia. If I get a chance I will take a pic of the longhorn cattle.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,876 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

There were a few Romangola breeders in the late 80's/90's with many of the main county shows having classes for them including the Spring Show.

I hope to head up to that part of the country in the next week or so to have a look at a pbr heifer that I might buy for nostalgia. If I get a chance I will take a pic of the longhorn cattle.

I seem to remember that one of the client's of the Vet's on Call program bred Romangola's. Is it another Shorthorn your going looking at?

I seem to remember that one of the client's of the Vet's on Call program bred Romangola's. Is it another Shorthorn your going looking at?
    No. If I buy I will post a pic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

I love the English long horn. Drove through a herd of them near London one time in one of those large estates. Amazing animals.

Like most things, they would struggle to survive on my land.

Advertisement