Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Livestock/General Farming photo thread TAKE #2 ::::RULES IN 1st POST::::

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,738 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Cow nearly choked on after-birth.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1279501978779947008

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

Pair of early heifers born around the end of January. Doing some thrive.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,310 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Not a new picture.
    But the boy holding the Cob gave a copy of the photo to my father lately, who's standing on the working Cob, posing for the camera.

20200711-125400.jpg

April born ch bull calf out of a lim x sh cow. Calved without assistance . If I could get them all like that now I'd be in business.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭fanmanad

April born ch bull calf out of a lim x sh cow. Calved without assistance . If I could get them all like that now I'd be in business.

Cracking animal. About 20 of them every year would be nice!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Super calf, keep using that bull
    What’s he by?

Super calf, keep using that bull
    What’s he by?

Carrickbrack hutch.

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭RobinBanks

They’re unreal calves. Fair play

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭dh1985

February bull. Definitely one of my better ones

February born bull out of a red lim cow.

• Advertisement

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭Dozer1

Too late to say it's in the wrong place...

Another February born heifer out of a very plain black lim x Hereford cow.

Ardlea Dan ADX commercial cow. He may not have the stars, but he always bred nice cows here.

ZAG pbr Lim heifer. In calf to On-Dit, fingers crossed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭50HX

ZAG pbr Lim heifer. In calf to On-Dit, fingers crossed.

What age is she patsy?

Have a yearling zag x but v butty

50HX wrote: »
    What age is she patsy?

Have a yearling zag x but v butty

27 months. Mother is very muscley and wide so she brings some bit of size from her. ZAG does breed butty alright.

One more. 23 months old XGL pbr heifer. Mother on left. Used XGL to add size and increase docility, as mother is a bit nervous.
    Must be something in the figures as she is a complete pet. Plenty wide too. In calf to Lodge Hamlet.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,168 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Got a cow that has a few cuts on her teat from the calf sucking her.
    The cuts are now attracting the flies.

Is there anything I can do for her as I can see they are irritating her.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Got a cow that has a few cuts on her teat from the calf sucking her.
    The cuts are now attracting the flies.

Is there anything I can do for her as I can see they are irritating her.

Have a cow the very same here, I'm putting Bepanthen antiseptic cream on he teat each morning, followed by tar spray. Luckily mine is quiet & just lets me do as I like with a handful of nuts on the ground in front of her. Looks a good bit better this evening, though that could be to do with the wet weather/less flies around today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,168 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

She is an oldish core and down a few quarters so the calf will need access to the teat too.

Was thinking of a garlic lick but not sure of their effectiveness or spot on.

Ah I see. I tend to try & put it on after the cow is sucked which seems to be most mornings as they all seem to move around dawn & calves suckle so when I'm out at 8 it's a good time to put it on.
    Have a garlic lick with ours too, the Calsea block, fair pong off it anyway, but only out 10 days so can't see much difference yet with flies. Spot on wouldn't be a bad call, wouldn't do her any harm anyway.

This is a still out of a video so probably not the best pic of her, but the heifer I put incalf to Glacon. Seemingly incalf anyway, no budge after 19-21 days & she'd almost mount me the month before.
    And yes, she had got copper, just later than the rest. :pac:
    HB8z1Dzl.png

• Registered Users Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Bull calf born last night out of the red shorthorn, unassisted and up sucking by itself, by SH4319.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭furandfeather

Base price wrote: »
    Bull calf born last night out of the red shorthorn, unassisted and up sucking by itself, by SH4319.

Great calf
    Is the other heifer you bought at the time in calf too?

Great calf
    Is the other heifer you bought at the time in calf too?
    She calved mid April this year by a runt of a cnut of a AAx seven month old weanling that got to her. She had a healthy heifer calf but it wasn't anything to write home about but it's shaping up nicely now.

I posted a pic of her as a calf (can't find it now) and I will take a pic of her in the next few days and post it.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭furandfeather

She calved mid April this year by a runt of a cnut of a AAx seven month old weanling that got to her. She had a healthy heifer calf but it wasn't anything to write home about but it's shaping up nicely now.

I posted a pic of her as a calf (can't find it now) and I will take a pic of her in the next few days and post it.

She might turn out a lucky one
    I had a pedigree heifer entered into a premier sale a few years ago, I was clipping her one evening and was standing back admiring her and I thought jesus she doesn't look like a VIO
    heifer. Decided to get her DNA tested and low and behold my doubts were true. She was 100% simmental but not out of vio, even though the calving date correspond with ai date.
    So one of the weanlings must have bulled her after I ai d her even though all were under 7 months at the time and the cow was a big 900kg tank.
    I kept her and shes one of the best cows in the place now but thank the lord she wasn't sold.
    Wouldn't sell a pedigree animal now without DNA testing now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭DukeCaboom

Eby cow
    Barvardage stock bull calf.

The exemption for TB testing of calves up to 120 days is ending on September the 1st. Reading the article, normal TB rules will apply for calves that are over 42 days old on 1/9/20 if you wish to sell them.
    https://www.farmersjournal.ie/tb-tes...ptember-561868

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

The exemption for TB testing of calves up to 120 days is ending on September the 1st. Reading the article, normal TB rules will apply for calves that are over 42 days old on 1/9/20 if you wish to sell them.
    https://www.farmersjournal.ie/tb-tes...ptember-561868

That is a pity, didn't make any use of it myself this year but I could definitely see the merit in it. Testing calves under 4 months is money for nothing for vets.

Advertisement