Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Livestock/General Farming photo thread TAKE #2 ::::RULES IN 1st POST::::

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

The big lad is putting up an arse now :)

DAMhiDlh.jpg?1

• Registered Users Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭Figerty

There has hardly been a day in the last 2 months I haven't pulled a tick off myself. Horrible little things.

Have quiet cows and noticed a lack of them this year.. even the dogs have very few this year. Not sure why.

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭valtra2

Ticks are alive & well in Leitrim. My legs are destroyed with the little shíts.

Never had a tick what are they

• Registered Users Posts: 2,417 ✭✭✭High bike

valtra2 wrote: »
    ur one of the lucky ones,they’r horrible blood suckers picked up in grass,responsible for red water in cattle.Thank god I haven’t seen one for years

valtra2 wrote: »

Really?? Feck can I go live where you live.
    They're the wee bloodsucking vermin which carry redwater, they stick themselves on the long grass, wait for you to pass by & they hook onto you. Leave an itchy bump. The far farm here is terrible for them, Bayticol every 2 months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

They're the wee bloodsucking vermin which carry redwater, they stick themselves on the long grass, wait for you to pass by & they hook onto you. Leave an itchy bump. The far farm here is terrible for them, Bayticol every 2 months.

Have you not got on top of the long grass with the quad topper?
    Or are you keeping the rushes to prolong registering the calves?

Have you not got on top of the long grass with the quad topper?
    Or are you keeping the rushes to prolong registering the calves?

Can't top the LIPP, the licking will kill the only bits of grass there are there. Have a ROW through someone else's land where I have to walk through cattle on overgrown lane too, that adds a few :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭Base price

More importantly for humans - they carry Lymes disease.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭Figerty

Base price wrote: »
    More importantly for humans - they carry Lymes disease.

Not always true. Can carry Lime disease. Usually where there are deer there is high risk. I have a friend suffering from it, there are a lot of unknowns still, but caution is advised with the littel beggars.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

Some of our land would be well known for redwater, thankfully have't had a case for several years and now i think about it i have'nt see a tick for several years either, we still dose with bayticol every 6-8 weeks just in case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,309 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Just putting up some summer decorations.

20200624-153624.jpg

The bait for them is not here yet. So chicken and ham paste may do.

Suggestions for bait for flies most welcome.

That's interesting, how does it work?
    And catfood. Every winged fcuker in Leitrim must find my window and goes straight to the catfood dish.

_Edit, upon studying the pic, I think I see, they get caught under the top net?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Just putting up some summer decorations.

20200624-153624.jpg

The bait for them is not here yet. So chicken and ham paste may do.

Suggestions for bait for flies most welcome.

Sonething rotting?

That's interesting, how does it work?
    And catfood. Every winged fcuker in Leitrim must find my window and goes straight to the catfood dish.

The flies are attracted to the bait in the dish. When taking off from the bait they usually fly up. So by flying up they fly into a net funnel with a small opening on top.
    The opening goes into the trap which the flies then are attracted to the edges of the net and thus they won't fly back to the little opening in the middle where they came in and are trapped.

Well I hope they will.

That's the second recommendation of cat food I've seen.
    The other being of a Californian horse ranch owner who uses them. On the ytube.

You know your stuff! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,738 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Why do u want to catch flies?

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

He's rearing swallows this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

One never go back your mouth? Very tasty when theyre alive

To sell them..

To sell them..
    I assume your after bluebottles?
    Edit: as Kovu said tinned cat food or dog food or sardines/tuna.

I assume your after bluebottles?
    Edit: as Kovu said tinned cat food or dog food or sardines/tuna.

I'm after the nuissance flies on the cows.

There's cat food (fish something) and a little warm water gone in the tray there now before milking.

There's flies landing on the sides of the net. And the one black fly and a few midges inside it now.
    I'll see what'll happen when the food goes off as such.

There's posters on other forums swear by great results in parlours.
    I want to avoid the insecticide or even some of the topical application stuff if I can. I will if I have to. But if I don't. I won't.

• Advertisement

I'm after the nuissance flies on the cows.

There's cat food (fish something) and a little warm water gone in the tray there now before milking.

There's flies landing on the sides of the net. And the one black fly and a few midges inside it now.
    I'll see what'll happen when the food goes off as such.

There's posters on other forums swear by great results in parlours.
    I want to avoid the insecticide or even some of the topical application stuff if I can. I will if I have to. But if I don't. I won't.
    What are you going to do with them when the net is full.

What are you going to do with them when the net is full.

Go to the EPA headquarters and release them. :pac:

Barrel of water and empty it out.

One of our accidental calves off our Norman :pac: Bit long in the leg but might balance out yet. About 2 months.

zGjNwyFl.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

Lim out of a ba x ch springer starting to shape up a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,270 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

76 day old heifer off Lm stock bull.
    Mother is 50% speckle park off black lim. She throws some variety of colours.

^I love Speckle Parks, think they're a beautiful looking animal.

Two other young Norman accidents born the start of May :o

IkeXVp2l.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,270 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

Quality wasn’t in the photos previously.

That’s the cows bullock from last year.

I delivered a bull to a guy only last week and he had a Speckled Park cow in the shed only after calving. They seem to be getting very popular.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

I delivered a bull to a guy only last week and he had a Speckled Park cow in the shed only after calving. They seem to be getting very popular.

Ha, plenty of them here;
    https://www.donedeal.ie/beefcattle-for-sale/17-speckled-park-heifer-runners/25232723

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭50HX

Have used Wro afew years ago on heifers, easy calvers and v lively calves, sold most of them as weanlings, kept the best one for breeding but lost her calf (leg down+ was at work)
    She killed out a good weight and v docile

Neighbours thought i'd a heap of BB weanlings from a distance:)

Advertisement