Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GAA conspire to keep Hurling Final in crappovision!

Options

Comments

• Administrators Posts: 53,439 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Rugby has a wider combination of scores so that is why there is less class of they're being a draw match.

I think the reason it's more difficult to draw in rugby is that there is no way to get a single point and scoring is a lot less frequent, so the chances of two teams having the exact same number of points is low.

You can get 7, 5 or 3.
    You forgot drop goal and penalty try.

Penalty try has the same points as a normal try.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭Borders no.2

MayoSalmon wrote: »
    I believe they did win it;)

Wouldn't it be hilarious to wake up in the morning to a new controversy that someone set up Hawkeye wrong again and it was actually a point. In fairness the free was dodgy, it would have been an awful way to decide the final.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Wouldn't it be hilarious to wake up in the morning to a new controversy that someone set up Hawkeye wrong again and it was actually a point. In fairness the free was dodgy, it would have been an awful way to decide the final.

The free was awarded with 20 seconds left in normal time, if it was a point the play would have been allowed go on for another minute or for Kilkenny got a score.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭questionmark?

Funnily enough, in most rugby matches, draws are priced in the 20's.

A game with less frequent scoring opportunities, and there is less than half the chance of the match ending up tied.

Are we to believe that GAA matches are uniquely evenly matched affairs?

Nope, far to convenient that the result which most suits the GAA, is the one which ends up occurring so often.

It's a game of gerrymandered results.

Thanks for that, gave me a right good laugh :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Barely There

You forgot drop goal and penalty try.

Yep, which have the same points as a normal penalty and try, not really sure what point you're attempting to make.

Let me put it like this, in basketball, which has a very similar scoring system to hurling, a drawn match is more than twice as unlikely to occur.

It's almost as if the NBA don't need that particular result to occur so often.

I wonder why.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Yep, which have the same points as a normal penalty and try, not really sure what point you're attempting to make.

Let me put it like this, in basketball, which has a very similar scoring system to hurling, a drawn match is more than twice as unlikely to occur.

It's almost as if the NBA don't need that particular result to occur so often.

I wonder why.

There are more scores in basketball so that means a draw is less likely to occur.

The higher scoring and wider variety of scoring a game has the less likely there is to be a draw.Football has a higher likelihood of having a draw than hurling as it is a lower scoring game.Basketball has a lower likelihood of a draw as it is higher scoring.

overshoot wrote: »
    have a look through the hurling championship, 40 games, 4 draws
    derry-down - ulster
    cork-waterford - muster
    wexford-clare-qualifiers
    KK-Tipp-final

yes there is a huge gulf in class in the games that ended in draws :rolleyes:
    conspiracy forum
    >

Yep, and 40 divide by 4 is...............

Drum roll please

10/1

Thank you for supporting my point.

The uncomfortable realty for GAA supporters is, anyone with a modicum of intelligence can see that results are artificially engineered to end in draws.

It's one of the reasons why nobody with any intellect would take it very seriously.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,137 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Drum roll please

10/1

The uncomfortable point for GAA supporters is, anyone with a modicum of intelligence can see that results are artificially engineered to end in draws.

It's one of the reasons why nobody with any intellect would take it very seriously.

Oh give it a rest and stop spouting nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,704 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Drum roll please

10/1

The uncomfortable realty for GAA supporters is, anyone with a modicum of intelligence can see that results are artificially engineered to end in draws.

Who does this engineering? It sounds like match fixing to me and that would have to involve some if not all of the players.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭MayoSalmon

Do people actually till deny this?

• Advertisement

Who does this engineering? It sounds like match fixing to me and that would have to involve some if not all of the players.

Think of the money on the line...if its a tight game why in the world wouldn't the ref be encouraged to keep it a draw.

They must be making another few million for the replay:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭overshoot

Drum roll please

10/1

oh please, you asked were teams that even and i pointed out the drawn games were evenly matched teams

if i wrote the first thought in my head after reading that, id get a ban.

for someone going on about intellect and cant see that the scoring formats in rugby make it naturally more difficult to draw, and therefore the bookies odds would be higher... well do the math for my thoughts!

Think of the money on the line...if its a tight game why in the world wouldn't the ref be encouraged to keep it a draw.

That's how it might appear if there is only one score between the teams very close to the end. But the ref today gave the opportunity for a score when it was a draw very near the end.

If the result is being engineered (match fix) then the players would have to be in on it to make the draw possible in the first place. Maybe Tipp or Kilkenny held back today at some stages of the game so that the draw would eventuate, but that is not what I saw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

They are amateurs.
    They all probsbly have jobs to go back to tomorrow.
    They deserve another day to get the win.

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    They are amateurs.
    They all probsbly have jobs to go back to tomorrow.
    They deserve another day to get the win.

Couldn't have put it better myself :rolleyes:

That's how it might appear if there is only one score between the teams very close to the end. But the ref today gave the opportunity for a score when it was a draw very near the end.

If the result is being engineered (match fix) then the players would have to be in on it to make the draw possible in the first place. Maybe Tipp or Kilkenny held back today at some stages of the game so that the draw would eventuate, but that is not what I saw.

I don't feel its engineered like that not even close and yes the ref did but I think if Tipp had scored that the ref would have given KK way more time to try get the equalizer and certainly wouldn't have jut blown up straight away.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭overshoot

The average cabbage-head GAA supporter has been conditioned, through years of gerrymandered results to believe that these results are 'the norm'.

I'm afraid that's not the case.

It's one of the reasons nobody outside the GAA mindset takes 'the competition' seriously at all.
    ah yes the old trademark insults of the my sport is better than yours brigade

also gerrymandering is the changing political boundaries to manipulate results. if your going to keep pretending to be an intellectual use a dictionary

• Registered Users Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭ceegee

I don't feel its engineered like that not even close and yes the ref did but I think if Tipp had scored that the ref would have given KK way more time to try get the equalizer and certainly wouldn't have jut blown up straight away.

If you're trying to ensure a draw why would you give a free that was marginal at best in the last minute of a tied game? The sensible decision for a corrupt ref would have been to wave play on and few would have complained

You have no way of knowing that more time would have been played if Tipp had got the point. Unless you spoke to the ref and he told you that?

overshoot wrote: »
    ah yes the old trademark insults of the my sport is better than yours brigade

also gerrymandering is the changing political boundaries to manipulate results. if your going to keep pretending to be an intellectual use a dictionary

What sport is that?

Also, is called a polysemy, keep up old chap.

• Advertisement

You have no way of knowing that more time would have been played if Tipp had got the point. Unless you spoke to the ref and he told you that?

Obviously its speculation but having watched years of GAA at all levels I do feel there is emphasis put on giving the losing side "another chance" to level the game.

In GAA if the referee is given the opportunity at the end of the game to ensure the GAA makes another windfall the replay will happen.

This is the second year in a row that the final has gone to a replay. I don't feel that a coincidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

Drum roll please

10/1

You and Mayo Salmon sound like you have a chip on your shoulder regarding the GAA. In the last 60 years there have been 3 replays. Considering how close many of the finals have been I'm shocked there hasn't been 8 or 9.

So do you have a problem with the GAA taking in so much money? End of the day this money goes back into the counties and clubs and the net affect is standards improving and more kids and adults playing sport. That's good for the countries mental health and good for the physical health too.

You'd swear the suits that do a magnificent job of running croker are getting a pay rise. The county now gets to enjoy another top class game of hurling and we're better off for it.

Begrudgers at this time of the year are always out in force and it's sad you lot don't even try and hide your colours!

Your smiley at the end suggests you are sad they will make a few extra million. Are you also sad this money will go into improving club and county facilities around the country? Not only good from an Irish sporting point of view but it means as always the GAA are very un-reliant on the tax payers money. Why are you so sad?!

Surely it's great you get to watch the best sport in the world again in 3 weeks time.

Obviously its speculation but having watched years of GAA at all levels I do feel there is emphasis put on giving the losing side "another chance" to level the game.

In GAA if the referee is given the opportunity at the end of the game to ensure the GAA makes another windfall the replay will happen.

This is the second year in a row that the final has gone to a replay. I don't feel that a coincidence.

It's actually the third year in a row. You need to touch up on your history pal. ANd just so you know there were no hurling draws for about 6 years before these draws. The natural order restoring itself. With so many close finals in 70 years there should have been a lot more than 3 draws.

It's one of the reasons nobody outside the GAA mindset takes 'the competition' seriously at all.

I'm not sure what sport you follow but the only field sport that comes close to the gaa's popularity in ireland is rugby and it's far behind. Soccer domestically is tiny and has a tiny support. I'm actually part of that tiny LOI support so I'd know.

So when you say nobody outside of the GAA mentality you're actually talking about a minority of irish people which is getting smaller every year.

Seriously were you dropped for your local clubs junior D final or something? You could at least thinly disguise your hatred for the GAA, a wonderful Irish made sporting organization. Something luckily most people are proud of.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭Figerty

Even with the Soccer match in HD on RTE 2 it looked rubbish after watching the Hurling on RTE 1.. Even RTE 2 HD couldn't make Ireland Vs Georgia it look good.

We saw a classic on RTE1.. and then we saw professional sportsmen falling down like they had been shot on RTE2 and physios 'massaging' them on the field.

Irish Soccer team should be shown the hurling final on the way home and tell them to live up to that expectation of passion, performance and guts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭ceegee

I would say refs are just as likely to give teams that chance in replays/qualifiers where the game will go extra-time, or in league games.

Figerty wrote: »
    Even with the Soccer match in HD on RTE 2 it looked rubbish after watching the Hurling on RTE 1.. Even RTE 2 HD couldn't make Ireland Vs Georgia it look good.

We saw a classic on RTE1.. and then we saw professional sportsmen falling down like they had been shot on RTE2 and physios 'massaging' them on the field.

Irish Soccer team should be shown the hurling final on the way home and tell them to live up to that expectation of passion, performance and guts.

sadly that's what happens when you bring money into things. if hurling stars were earning 200k a week I'd imagine the game would be a lot less physical and lads afraid to put their body on the line. It's sad but it's what money does.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,706 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Poor form from RTE, they know that sky don't allow their HD channel.

No excuse for not having this game on HD in this day and age.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭yohan the great

The guy saying that the GAA engineered the draw is conveniently forgetting that Tipp were inches away from winning with the last puck of the ball from a free

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement