Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GAA conspire to keep Hurling Final in crappovision!

Options
  • 07-09-2014 2:57pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭

So todays hurling final is being shown on RTE1 in a big departure from the status quo where most coverage is on RTE2HD.

RTE1 on satellite is shown only in standard defintion whether it be on Sky or Saorsat only SD crappovision only. I don't receive Saorview myself and am dependent on Saorsat and Sky so todays hurling final will be in Standard Def for me only. Meanwhile they are happy to let Sky show in HD and charge you for the privilege.

A thundering disgrace.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

RTE changed the channel the match is shown on from RTE2 to RTE1 because Ireland are playing a match against v Georgia and therefore they consider the soccer match to be more important.Its RTE you should be having a go at.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,574 ✭✭✭jaykay74

Stinicker wrote: »
    So todays hurling final is being shown on RTE1 in a big departure from the status quo where most coverage is on RTE2HD.

RTE1 on satellite is shown only in standard defintion whether it be on Sky or Saorsat only SD crappovision only. I don't receive Saorview myself and am dependent on Saorsat and Sky so todays hurling final will be in Standard Def for me only. Meanwhile they are happy to let Sky show in HD and charge you for the privilege.

A thundering disgrace.

GAA conspire ? Surely the channel RTE show it on was chosen by RTE themselves no?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,380 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

A thundering disgrace.

Some call alright. I assume it's moved to accommodate the soccer on RTE 2, which will probably come via a crappy East European picture feed anyway.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Some call alright. I assume it's moved to accommodate the soccer on RTE 2, which will probably come via a crappy East European picture feed anyway.

Rte 1 is in HD on saorview, plug in an aerogel to the tv. Job done.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

adrian522 wrote: »
    Rte 1 is in HD on saorview, plug in an aerogel to the tv. Job done.

No saorview where I live just Saorsat which dosen't have RTE1 in HD either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,758 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

A thundering disgrace.

Saorview serves about 98% of the population, so while you are losing out it is affecting only a small minority. Sky would already have been the only solution for outlying areas pre Saorview. I don't know why RTE 1 HD is not on Saorsat yet instead of SD but as you know that is not the only anomaly, you don't get TV3 at all. And of course any games on TG4 are only in SD as well. SD is hardly crapvision.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,129 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

RTE changed the channel the match is shown on from RTE2 to RTE1 because Ireland are playing a match against v Georgia and therefore they consider the soccer match to be more important.

That match was an absolute classic, it had everything from skill to intensity to late drama.
    The second installment will be eagerly awaited and draw huge crowds to Dublin.

By the way, did anyone hear how the hurling went ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭MayoSalmon

The GAA are the most heartless money-whoring corporation in Ireland. What a shameful organisation they have become.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭darlett

MayoSalmon wrote: »
    The GAA are the most heartless money-whoring corporation in Ireland. What a shameful organisation they have become.

Nah.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭sammy37

MayoSalmon wrote: »
    Just cos the game finished in a draw not really the gaas fault and what do you want them to become a loss making company with their hands out for subsidies all the time. Fair play to them for running such a successful company and i am delighted both teams get another chance as it would have been a shame to see one of them lose such a great game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,665 ✭✭✭Borders no.2

Sweet god, some people would complain about anything. Have a look at the viewing figures for RTE1 V RTE2. Putting it on RTE1 actually increased its status.

Sweet god, some people would complain about anything. Have a look at the viewing figures for RTE1 V RTE2. Putting it on RTE1 actually increased its status.

If there is a significant jump in the viewership for todays match due to it being on RTE One the GAA really should insist that the football final (and all future AI Finals) is broadcast on RTE1 as well.

If there is a significant jump in the viewership for todays match due to it being on RTE One the GAA really should insist that the football final (and all future AI Finals) is broadcast on RTE1 as well.

But the point of this thread is that a small minority who cannot get RTE on terrestrial TV with an aerial have to either pay for Sky or get it on Saorsat. Saorsat is on a different satellite at 9 degrees east and for some reason RTE 1 is not in HD even though RTE 2 is. It was made mandatory that everyone had to be able to get a free RTE signal as part of the digital switchover despite the fact that even more of them had no signal in analogue times.

http://www.lyngsat.com/Eutelsat-Ka-Sat-9A.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Barely There

The only conspiracy is to try to end as many matches in draws as possible.

For a game that has frequent scoring opportunities, it defies belief that so many matches require a replay.

For a game that has frequent scoring opportunities, it defies belief that so many matches require a replay.

The odds today on a draw were about 10/1. If they had been 1000/1 I would give some credence to your theory. The odds next year will not be changed by the fact that we have had three draws in a row. They will be determined by who is in the final. If there is one overwhelming favourite they could be a bit longer than 10/1.

If there was an attempt to get so many draws out of GAA matches then why in todays match was a last minute free given to Tipp to win the game?

It would have been much easier for Barry Kelly to not award a free in that situation in order to get a draw out of the match.

The odds today on a draw were about 10/1. If they had been 1000/1 I would give some credence to your theory. The odds next year will not be changed by the fact that we have had three draws in a row. They will be determined by who is in the final. If there is one overwhelming favourite they could be a bit longer than 10/1.

Why would the bookies offer 1000/1 on a draw when they are so common in GAA?

Nonsensical argument tbh.

The odds today on a draw were about 10/1. .

Funnily enough, in most rugby matches, draws are priced in the 20's.

A game with less frequent scoring opportunities, and there is less than half the chance of the match ending up tied.

Are we to believe that GAA matches are uniquely evenly matched affairs?

Nope, far to convenient that the result which most suits the GAA, is the one which ends up occurring so often.

It's a game of gerrymandered results.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭wow sierra

I am old enough to remember watching games in Black and White - and I don't consider myself so old. So its not in HD ??? FFS it's hardly a big deal.

And conspiracies about draws ...... the GAA has conspired to make a player hit the ball an inch wide from 100 yards in the last puck of the game. As conspiracy theories go - that's a good one :)

sammy37 wrote: »
    Just cos the game finished in a draw not really the gaas fault and what do you want them to become a loss making company with their hands out for subsidies all the time.

Not sure how in a million years can a organisation with runs our the national games that has fantastic viewership, sponsorship and attendance plus legions of fundraisers and volunteers can become loss making.

There not exactly Cricket Ireland or anything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

sammy37 wrote: »
    Just cos the game finished in a draw not really the gaas fault and what do you want them to become a loss making company with their hands out for subsidies all the time. Fair play to them for running such a successful company and i am delighted both teams get another chance as it would have been a shame to see one of them lose such a great game.

To be fair, Tipp did have a chance to win it at the death!

KK and Tipp had to go to extra time in the league final - KK won with a last min TJ Reid point, so a draw was a likely outcome

To be fair, Tipp did have a chance to win it at the death!

KK and Tipp had to go to extra time in the league final - KK won with a last min TJ Reid point, so a draw was a likely outcome

I believe they did win it;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭overshoot

A game with less frequent scoring opportunities, and there is less than half the chance of the match ending up tied.

Nope, far to convenient that the result which most suits the GAA, is the one which ends up occurring so often.

have a look through the hurling championship, 40 games, 4 draws
    derry-down - ulster
    cork-waterford - muster
    wexford-clare-qualifiers
    KK-Tipp-final

yes there is a huge gulf in class in the games that ended in draws :rolleyes:
    conspiracy forum
    >

so a draw was a likely outcome

Ain't that the truth.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭El Horseboxo

So OP did you get to watch the game or not?

Rugby has a wider combination of scores so that is why there is less class of they're being a draw match.

Rugby has a wider combination of scores so that is why there is less class of they're being a draw match.

Try, conversion, and penalty.

Yeah, it's vastly different. :rolleyes:

Try, conversion, and penalty.

Yeah, it's vastly different. :rolleyes:

You forgot drop goal and penalty try.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Not really.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

You forgot drop goal and penalty try.

Rugby, 1 of the few sports where you can be awarded a score without cross the line. Technically there are 2 scores in rugby, a kick at goal and a try, the conversion is part of a try and there's no difference between a drop and a penalty. Also, there isn't any rules in rugby :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement