Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GAA conspire to keep Hurling Final in crappovision!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭MayoSalmon

The guy saying that the GAA engineered the draw is conveniently forgetting that Tipp were inches away from winning with the last puck of the ball from a free

Ample time would of been played if that went over for KK to equalise

• Registered Users Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭Brian017

The guy saying that the GAA engineered the draw is conveniently forgetting that Tipp were inches away from winning with the last puck of the ball from a free

The GAA obviously fiddled with the Hawkeye system and sent a message to Barry Kelly via his earpiece to use it! Keep up man!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

he's not forgetting. he probably didn't even see the match but either way he's just having a pop at the GAA. Embarrassing really.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭yohan the great

MayoSalmon wrote: »

And how do you know this? Barry Kelly is a very good ref and doesn't give a **** what the Kilkenny lads think of him which is good

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

As a matter of interest, did people watch the soccer game after the hurling final.? or watch the crappy rugby matches Friday night and yesterday. Thank God for hurling and the GAA I say.!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

washman3 wrote: »
    As a matter of interest, did people watch the soccer game after the hurling final.? or watch the crappy rugby matches Friday night and yesterday. Thank God for hurling and the GAA I say.!!

the rugby is always slow at this time of the year but will improve come the 6 nations.

Watched 10 minutes of the soccer and despite seeing a good goal I turned it off. It just doesn't compare.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

What a thread. I suppose it wouldn't be boards without a flood of bitter, nut-job posts after one of the best sporting occasions of the past few years.

The issue of RTE 1 HD not being on sky is an issue between RTE and sky. Absolutely nothing to do with the GAA. Anyway, the game was available in HD to the vast majority of the country on Saorview or Sky Sports.

As for the draw conspiracy and the gleeful insulting of the "cabbage head" GAA fans... Hilarious. You know the type that post this. Wouldn't have the hand eye coordination or stamina to warm the bench at a Junior C game (or any other sport for that matter), so they take on a superiority complex behind their keyboards. 54 scores today in 70 minutes of hurling, and the last minute free missed by a few inches. Jesus whoever is orchestrating that conspiracy is one serious operator. A fine job he did last year too when Clare scored a most most unlikely score to draw with the last puck of the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

Stinicker wrote: »
    So todays hurling final is being shown on RTE1 in a big departure from the status quo where most coverage is on RTE2HD.

RTE1 on satellite is shown only in standard defintion whether it be on Sky or Saorsat only SD crappovision only. I don't receive Saorview myself and am dependent on Saorsat and Sky so todays hurling final will be in Standard Def for me only. Meanwhile they are happy to let Sky show in HD and charge you for the privilege.

A thundering disgrace.

Hope they do the same for the Kerry game. :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

A number of posts deleted. Keep it civil folks and less of the name calling.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Amprodude wrote: »
    Hope they do the same for the Kerry game. :-)

Well that won't bother me as I'll be in Croker, I had to watch the hurling in SD and watched in my kitchen on the 24" TV as it was just too putrid to watch on the 50" screen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Alvin Holler

The uncomfortable realty for GAA supporters is, anyone with a modicum of intelligence can see that results are artificially engineered to end in draws.

It's one of the reasons why nobody with any intellect would take it very seriously.

The football referees must be crap at this. 3 out of the last 4 finals decided by a point but no draw since 2000.

• Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Dick Turnip

MayoSalmon wrote: »

All speculation. Then again, Tipp had scored the last 3 scores. If that free had gone over that would have been 4 in a row, so all the momentum was with them. What makes you so certain KK would get a score in the that one play when they couldn’t score for the last 5 minutes?

Also, to Barely There. Whilst you are clearly trolling, I will indulge you anyway….. The reason for comparatively so few scores in rugby despite the fact that there’s fewer scoring opportunities is because you can be awarded 3 different amounts for a score, none of which are divisible by the other – ie. 2, 3 or 5. So whilst in GAA you can score 1 or 3 but then 3 is divisible by 1 so draws are more likely whereas in rugby you either match the other team score for score or else score 3 unconverted tries to their 5 penalties, or 3 converted tries to their 7 penalties etc – much less likely. But then again you already knew that you little scamp didn’t you?! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Barely There

Also, to Barely There. Whilst you are clearly trolling, I will indulge you anyway….. The reason for comparatively so few scores in rugby despite the fact that there’s fewer scoring opportunities is because you can be awarded 3 different amounts for a score, none of which are divisible by the other – ie. 2, 3 or 5. So whilst in GAA you can score 1 or 3 but then 3 is divisible by 1 so draws are more likely whereas in rugby you either match the other team score for score or else score 3 unconverted tries to their 5 penalties, or 3 converted tries to their 7 penalties etc – much less likely. But then again you already knew that you little scamp didn’t you?! ;)

Don't get too hung up on rugby - it was only an example I picked and while some of the reasons you've outlined may have some bearing on the chances of the final result being tied, they do not explain why a draw in rugby is almost unheard of compared to the monotonous regularity of such results in GAA.

Consider basketball, a game which has none of the scoring issues you mention, the chances of a draw in an NBA match is approximately 1 in 20.
    Any bookie who offered similar odds on a Championship GAA match ending up requiring a reply would be out of business fairly quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,584 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Don't get too hung up on rugby - it was only an example I picked and while some of the reasons you've outlined may have some bearing on the chances of the final result being tied, they do not explain why a draw in rugby is almost unheard of compared to the monotonous regularity of such results in GAA.

Consider basketball, a game which has none of the scoring issues you mention, the chances of a draw in an NBA match is approximately 1 in 20.
    Any bookie who offered similar odds on a Championship GAA match ending up requiring a reply would be out of business fairly quickly.

Here are 31 games in this years football qualifiers and quarter/semi finals. Only one draw Kerry Mayo in Croke Park.

http://www.gaa.ie/fixtures-and-results/national-fixtures/gaa-football-all-ireland-senior-championship/

How ironic that the one game the money men engineered into a draw turned out to be a public relations disaster. They had to move it to Limerick and take a hit on the ticket prices and even then they didn't get a full house. Whereas they could have went with popular opinion and put it on in Croke Park. Very poor work by the money men.

And very poor work by the players in the replay to make it a draw in normal time. And then not get another replay maybe in Croke Park by producing a winner after extra time.

One out of 31 is monotonous regularity??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭overshoot

well you did glorify its low odds on a draw. perhaps you missed the draw in the opening round of the rabo? 1 out of 6! And yes the indivisible scoring system is a major reason why it is more difficult to draw in rugby. It is clear as day to anyone with the simplest maths capabilities. Again basketball has a 3, 2 & (1+1) scoring system. It means both teams MUST either score multiples of one type of score each or mimic the others scoring pattern. So your analogy has the same issues as the rugby typology and again fails miserably.

Oh and dont forget, as much as you claim otherwise, the hurling championship is divided into 4 different competition for teams of various levels. It helps ensure competitive games, removed dead ringers, and guess what increases the likelihood of a draw!

Perhaps you should look at the number of draws in the premier league. It has a simpler scoring system than the GAA, easier to understand. Even the team with the lowest draw ratio last season was 1 in 9.5, west brom was 1 draw every 2.5 games. Monotony my hole, your precious liverpool drew 1 in 6, doesnt put you off. Im sure you will be heading back to wind up Man U fans in the soccer forum when the premier league returns next week though. (you did ask me who your team was)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

<SNIP>
    It's no secret the GAA prefer draws in bigger games.
    Take a look at the last 3 All Ireland finals.

This year was blown up as a draw despite no additional time being played. The free was given at 69 minutes yet by the time it was taken the ref blew up. No one can prove this but I firmly believe had the free gone over more time would have been given to equalise.

Last year Clare were given the opportunity to equalise when time was well up. Cork should have won by a point.

The year before Galway received quite a soft free which joe canning stuck over at the puck of the game.

Before the introduction of the announcement of additional time it was much more prevalent. The referee had discretion when to blow up and it was a common opinion that the gaa played for draws (mid/late 90's in particular). I suppose they had the Croke Park construction in mind then and had to keep the coffers ticking over. The introduction of the announcement of how many minutes additional time will be played has in my opinion reduced the probability of a draw somewhat in games. And yes I realise I am slightly contradicting myself here.

JeffKenna wrote: »
    <SNIP> It's no secret the GAA prefer draws in bigger games.
    Take a look at the last 3 All Ireland finals.

This year was blown up as a draw despite no additional time being played. The free was given at 69 minutes yet by the time it was taken the ref blew up. No one can prove this but I firmly believe had the free gone over more time would have been given to equalise.

Last year Clare were given the opportunity to equalise when time was well up. Cork should have won by a point.

The year before Galway received quite a soft free which joe canning stuck over at the puck of the game.

Before the introduction of the announcement of additional time it was much more prevalent. The referee had discretion when to blow up and it was a common opinion that the gaa played for draws (mid/late 90's in particular). I suppose they had the Croke Park construction in mind then and had to keep the coffers ticking over. The introduction of the announcement of how many minutes additional time will be played has in my opinion reduced the probability of a draw somewhat in games. And yes I realise I am slightly contradicting myself here.

<SNIP>. The obvious game to engineer a replay this year so far was Dublin Donegal. No doubt if there had been only one point in it very close to the end and then it became a draw that would validate the conspiracy theorists.

Instead of which the very last game the GAA wanted to be a draw turned out to be a draw, Mayo Kerry. The way you are putting it the ref will play on until there is a draw every time there is only one point between the teams. I listed 31 games with with only one draw, that Mayo Kerry game.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

RoyalCelt wrote: »
    sadly that's what happens when you bring money into things. if hurling stars were earning 200k a week I'd imagine the game would be a lot less physical and lads afraid to put their body on the line. It's sad but it's what money does.

Your post reminded me of this pic, which was doing the rounds on Twitter after the match yesterday.

BpnI2ooIgAEAX2e.jpg:large

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭The barber of chewbacca

Just a quick stat regarding the top four hurling leagues in Dublin (as of 08/09/14).

216 games played, 24 draws. So about 1 draw in every 9.

They hardly fix those games to make a profit!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭h2005

Funnily enough, in most rugby matches, draws are priced in the 20's.

A game with less frequent scoring opportunities, and there is less than half the chance of the match ending up tied.

Are we to believe that GAA matches are uniquely evenly matched affairs?

Nope, far to convenient that the result which most suits the GAA, is the one which ends up occurring so often.

It's a game of gerrymandered results.

3 times since 1959 the final has ended in a draw
    That's a pretty poor attempt at gerrymandering.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,102 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

The thing is that the notion that refs are playing for draws in the big intercounty games is fairly easy to disprove - simply compare the number of draws in the big intercounty championship games that are money-spinners to the number of draws in the league where draws are treated differently.

In the football league this year in all 4 divisions there were 11 draw in 112 games, while in the championship there were 4 draws out of 64 games so far.

In 2013 there was 9 draws in the league and only 1 draw in the championship (this draw was in the qualifiers so it went to extra-time so no extra cash for the GAA)

In 2012 there was 8 draws in the league and 3 draws in the championship (all in the qualifiers so it went to extra-time so no extra cash for the GAA)

If refs are playing for draws in the championship to earn the GAA extra cash, there are really doing a very poor job at it given the rate at which they are occurring in the league compared to the championship.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

What has all this to do with what channel the game was on?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Grudaire

Yep, and 40 divide by 4 is...............

Drum roll please

10/1

captain pedantic here, but the way bookies odds work that's actually:

9/1

/pedantic

draws come from evenly matched teams, sometimes referees will help it along by blowing earlier or later (a luxury not allowed when the clock is fixed) but this argument is nonsense in this thread

adrian522 wrote: »
    What has all this to do with what channel the game was on?

Everything. The ref read the OP and engineered a draw so that the replay will be in HD.

You say he has a slight point but then you seem to fall for his trolling hook line and sinker. The obvious game to engineer a replay this year so far was Dublin Donegal. No doubt if there had been only one point in it very close to the end and then it became a draw that would validate the conspiracy theorists.

Instead of which the very last game the GAA wanted to be a draw turned out to be a draw, Mayo Kerry. The way you are putting it the ref will play on until there is a draw every time there is only one point between the teams. I listed 31 games with with only one draw, that Mayo Kerry game.

I'm not sure how you could engineer or even think to engineer a draw in a game that was so one sided as the Donegal Dublin game so I'm not sure what your point on that is?

The list of 31 games you provide isn't accurate. For a fact there was a few draws in the qualifiers there that went to extra time like Kildare Monaghan. Might want to reexamine that list again?

I'm not sure how you could engineer or even think to engineer a draw in a game that was so one sided as the Donegal Dublin game so I'm not sure what your point on that is?

The list of 31 games you provide isn't accurate. For a fact there was a few draws in the qualifiers there that went to extra time like Kildare Monaghan. Might want to reexamine that list again?

The conspiracy theory is that they are making replays for extra revenue. That is not supported by a game going to extra time unless it is also a draw after extra time.

And exactly with Dublin Donegal, it was one sided. Games which are not one sided can end in a draw because they tend to have only one or two points between the teams at 70 minutes.

The conspiracy theory is that they are making replays for extra revenue. That is not supported by a game going to extra time unless it is also a draw after extra time.

And exactly with Dublin Donegal, it was one sided. Games which are not one sided can end in a draw because they tend to have only one or two points between the teams at 70 minutes.

Ok, so if we are going for the conspiracy theory then we would surely look at the profit the gaa would make from each replay. If they want to make extra money from replays then why bother with matches probably attended by a couple of thousand, they would naturally go for the big games that fill out Croker...aka an all ireland final which would earn millions in additional revenue. Which they did?

Ok, so if we are going for the conspiracy theory then we would surely look at the profit the gaa would make from each replay. If they want to make extra money from replays then why bother with matches probably attended by a couple of thousand, they would naturally go for the big games that fill out Croker...aka an all ireland final which would earn millions in additional revenue. Which they did?

But failed to do in the previous 50 years.

But failed to do in the previous 50 years.

You're talking about an era where all matches sold out or came close to selling out. Therefore they could get their replays from them and keep the conspiracy 'under the radar' by not drawing attention to it by constantly replaying finals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭Sitec

Why is RTE One not in HD on Sky anyway?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement