Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Skinny Shaming

Options
12346»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,166 ✭✭✭Tasden

DoYouEvenLift, I'm not arguing that those figures are impressive (and I'm speaking as someone who lifts) but they aren't to everyone's taste and a lot of people view any obvious definition/strength as masculine, the softer curvy look is generally the preferred look. And those photos are of women flexing/posing to emphasise their gains/progress so they do look a bit "bodybuilder"ish tbf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,086 ✭✭✭TheBeardedLady

meeeeh wrote: »
    Seriously? ! Now I am supposed to obsess about my body enough to spend half of my life in gym. Firstly I have no time, secondly I have no interest and thirdly there are about gazillion exercises that are more interesting that weight lifting. And most importantly I really don't know why should I be that obsessed with how I look. This whey fuelled fitness craze is really making me miss good old alcohol, caffeine and nicotine filled days.

Btw first two before after pics are taken in a way to exaggerate certain features and totally freaky looking.

You don't have to be obsessed. I ignore all that stuff and just get on with it. If that's one person's preference for how they want to look, good luck to them.

Anyway, I think the last few threads are more suited to the fitness forum than this thread. I don't see how any of this is relevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭Shelga

I don't see how any of this is relevant.

It isn't, but inevitably in these types of threads people's opinions re. body shape start to come into play in one way or another.

I am so mentally exhausted from the constant, relentless assault on women's collective psyche about their weight. I dislike even the appearance of threads that have anything to do with "fat/skinny/weight/curvy/real/diet", even if it's just challenging or discussing this state of affairs!

My size 10 friend spent £400 yesterday on a diet delivery service.

Just so, so utterly sick and tired of ALL of this!

*(Nothing against the original poster; you know how sometimes you just want to scream into a pillow when weight or appearance is mentioned in any way at all because sometimes it just all feels so suffocating. And I am far from exempt from these issues myself!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,086 ✭✭✭TheBeardedLady

Shelga wrote: »
    It isn't, but inevitably in these types of threads people's opinions re. body shape start to come into play in one way or another.

I am so mentally exhausted from the constant, relentless assault on women's collective psyche about their weight. I dislike even the appearance of threads that have anything to do with "fat/skinny/weight/curvy/real/diet", even if it's just challenging or discussing this state of affairs!

My size 10 friend spent £400 yesterday on a diet delivery service.

Just so, so utterly sick and tired of ALL of this!

*(Nothing against the original poster; you know how sometimes you just want to scream into a pillow when weight or appearance is mentioned in any way at all because sometimes it just all feels so suffocating. And I am far from exempt from these issues myself!)

I don't have a TV (I moved around too much over the years to bother with it and it's been so long now I've lost interest), I don't buy any women's magazines, I don't watch **** pop videos, I don't click on any kind of dieting website or any online women's magazine either and I don't get involved in conversations about weight with my female friends (I sit in silence and ride them out like a weirdo) - I've actually opted out of that world completely and I think it's helped me a lot with regards to body image over the years.

I think you have to take an active role in ignoring the bombardment of it all; choose NOT to click on click bait links that appear on your Facebook feed of the next big thing diet-wise or cleb's cellulite or whatever the fook.

I didn't even click on the links posted a few posts back. What good would looking at those photos do me? Whatever a woman chooses to do with her body is her business but I'm content overall with how I look although I'm far from perfect. I refuse to be made feel bad about how I look when I'm a healthy, adult woman.

There's so much out there that's only purpose is to make us feel crap about ourselves so we'll spend money to change ourselves but you have to make a conscious effort to ignore it...although it's getting harder, unfortunately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,802 ✭✭✭beks101

Yeah you know, fcuk it all for a game of soldiers. I'm so sick of the "shoulds" that bombard on every corner and that seem to encourage us to consider the 'trend of the day' as opposed to our actual health and personal optimum fitness and weight when it comes to our bodies.

It is MY body and MY decision to do whatever the hell I want to do with it. You know I find the direction these threads and this general public discourse goes very triggering because I've more experience than I'd like with striving for perfection body-wise and suffering some pretty devastating consequences. I'm 29 years old with a high level of intelligence and accomplishment in my life and great health that has never let me down and it STILL gets to me that this sort of bombardment of "advice" a la "women need to weight lift if they want great bodies" or "it is possible to cultivate curves" or "be skinny but not toooo skinny" makes me feel inadeqate or "not enough" at times.

I walked down a very dark path trying to meet these conflicting contradictory ideas of what is "enough" body-wise and the lesson I learned from that is that there IS no "enough" - there'll always be someone there to tell you how "skinny" you are or how "wrong" you are for "focusing only on cardio when you should be lifting too" when I've done something pretty bloody spectacular for myself like trained for a marathon (yes that actually happened) or how I need to eat X and not Y and carbs are the devil, or wait, was it fat, or protein...I cana't quite remember what it was I was supposed to be avoiding...

So excuse me if I stop taking tips from the world around me about what I "should" look like and stop fighting my genes and myself and do things that I enjoy to do and go for a run because it makes ME feel good and makes me like what I see in the mirror and lie in bed or binge on mince pies in a few weeks' time because it's Christmas and I am a live woman living life according to my own rules and if my aRse is too big or too small, well then the world is just going to have to get over it.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

Seriously? ! Now I am supposed to obsess about my body enough to spend half of my life in gym. Firstly I have no time, secondly I have no interest and thirdly there are about gazillion exercises that are more interesting that weight lifting. And most importantly I really don't know why should I be that obsessed with how I look. This whey fuelled fitness craze is really making me miss good old alcohol, caffeine and nicotine filled days.

Btw first two before after pics are taken in a way to exaggerate certain features and totally freaky looking.

Always get a good laugh when people claim these. Hope you don't honestly think spending 45 mins to an hour exercising 3-5 times a week isn't exactly enough to spend 'half your time in the gym'. And when you say you have no time, I assume that also includes not having time to spend hours watching TV, movies etc. Your other points are totally acceptable, exercising is a hobby like any other and if someone doesn't enjoy it then that's fine. I was just pointing out how it's easily possible to make a positive change in one's appearance if they wished to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

Always get a good laugh when people claim these. Hope you don't honestly think spending 45 mins to an hour exercising 3-5 times a week isn't exactly enough to spend 'half your time in the gym'. And when you say you have no time, I assume that also includes not having time to spend hours watching TV, movies etc. Your other points are totally acceptable, exercising is a hobby like any other and if someone doesn't enjoy it then that's fine. I was just pointing out how it's easily possible to make a positive change in one's appearance if they wished to.

do you know what's going on in peoples' lives? You do not know if they do or don't have time to go to the gym regularly. Surely you should be taking posts at face value instead of laughing at the person?

also, the images you posted are not a positive change for a lot of people. I lift, i love lifting and would recommend it to everyone, but most women do not want a tiny waist and massive thighs and arse.

Mod

You don't know the last thing about any woman in this forum, yet you seem to be able to tell them what time they have free and what body they should have or should want.

Do not post in this thread again, and read the Ladies Lounge charter before posting in the forum again.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I just saw this and didn't know where else to put it
    http://www.independent.ie/style/beauty/body/myla-dalbesio-the-calvin-klein-plus-size-model-who-wears-a-size-14-30739156.html

that's nice they're being inclusive

• Registered Users Posts: 13,493 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Paper magazine brings proportion-manipulation through Photoshop to new levels of grotesquery. Slightly NSFW.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/lyapalater/this-is-kim-kardashians-ass-front-and-center-on-the-cover-of

Body imagery issues aside, it's also depressing that they think anyone is stupid enough to think this is a natural body shape.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

I just want to clarify something. (Not because I feel the need to explain myself to the designated lifting enthusiast but because I think I didn't make my previous point clear enough). I have nothing against whatever type of exercising and I do it myself, I just prefer to do whatever I enjoy (more cardio) and not worry how this will impact on the shape of my body.

I do think there is a worrying trend (more among men) where the shape of your body is everything. Even when you are doing damage with supplements or you are over straining your body. I can sort of understand that people in show biz have to do it but I think a lot of us don't have that much time even if we would want to. I have no problem with someone telling me to get off my arse and do some exercise but I object the notion that I should exercise to improve my looks.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,493 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

I do think there is a worrying trend (more among men) where the shape of your body is everything. Even when you are doing damage with supplements or you are over straining your body.

At Longitude during the summer I was genuinely gobsmacked at the bodies on the vast majority of the young guys there - really, really built and cut. I'm not for a second suggesting that they all attained them in dangerous ways, just that that body type has clearly become the norm. When I was that age a guy with that kind of body would have been very much the exception rather than the rule.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

I am not implying that either. My brother and I can get decent definition without too much effort (I really don't like weights). I think it is genetic with some of us but I also know some of my brother's friends who were going into extremes to get the same muscle definition. That is why I think it is ridiculous to put one body type as a healthy ideal. You can be perfectly healthy and fit at size 6 or 16 or you can be totally unhealthy at 6 or 16. And sometimes it is okay to be a little bit unhealthy too, as long as it doesn't go into extremes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭thingamagig

I recently read a piece on confessional writing by authors such as Lena Dunham. The crux of the argument was that women were expected to share more of their life than men. By that I mean they are encouraged to flaunt their private lives, to make them public( through media etc.). I really do believe the same is true for a woman's body. The assumption is that people are free to OPENLY comment about it. Look at heat magazine, the internet, the flaming Kardashians etc. Why do we feel a need, women and men, to do this? There seems to be so much less critique of the male form. Live and let live is my attitude: a woman or a man can do what the hell they like with their own body. It is their own space. That is not to say I am against appreciating the physical form, it's just all this public judgement that is so soul-destroying ( I can only imagine the effect it must have on a younger generation).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭thingamagig

I recently read a piece on confessional writing by authors such as Lena Dunham. The crux of the argument was that women were expected to share more of their life than men. By that I mean they are encouraged to flaunt their private lives, to make them public( through media etc.). I really do believe the same is true for a woman's body. The assumption is that people are free to OPENLY comment about it. Look at heat magazine, the internet, the flaming Kardashians etc. Why do we feel a need, women and men, to do this? There seems to be less critique of the male form. Live and let live is my attitude: a woman or a man can do what the hell they like with their own body. It is their own space. That is not to say I am against appreciating the physical form, it's just all this public judgement that is so soul-destroying ( I can only imagine the effect it must have on a younger generation).

Advertisement