Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amazon Fire TV

Options
1234568»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Evelyn Martina

amazon fire TV or Stick?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭eamonnq

TV

• Registered Users Posts: 8,740 ✭✭✭degsie

amazon fire TV or Stick?

Context?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,680 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

amazon fire TV or Stick?

Depends on what you plan to use it for.

I've the stick and find it excellent although Elexa can be hit or miss.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 31,882 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I prefer the TV version as you can plug in cable as opposed to using wifi to connect to internet.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,155 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Did anyone upgrade to the newer iteration? I'm kind of tempted due to the HDR support.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭hasdanta

Hey guys, looking to get my boyfriend a firestick and echo for his birthday - is there much point in getting one if he already has a chromecast? Also, even if I do decide to get it, will it be any good since the firestick isn't available in Ireland yet, will its uses be limited to him?

• Registered Users Posts: 31,882 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

hasdanta wrote: »
    Hey guys, looking to get my boyfriend a firestick and echo for his birthday - is there much point in getting one if he already has a chromecast? Also, even if I do decide to get it, will it be any good since the firestick isn't available in Ireland yet, will its uses be limited to him?
    I have a fire TV, no restrictions here bar the usual geographical things so worth using a VPN if you want us Netflix iPlayer etc.

I have an echo that I use for music and have a few smart lights and plugs they are a cool little gadget, also handy for playing radio, news as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

hasdanta wrote: »

There's nothing much more you can do on the Fire stick than you can do with the Chromecast. However doing it on the Fire is a while lot easier and doesn't need another device to load a programme or channel and cast to the Fire. The Fire is an Android computer itself.

I have both and, apart from RTE and TV3 players (which won't run on the Fire) I prefer the ease of the Fire.

Any geo- restrictions on the Fire will apply to the Chromecast setup as well. basically this is only an issue for BBC peogrammes.

HTH

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭hasdanta

gmisk wrote: »
    I have a fire TV, no restrictions here bar the usual geographical things so worth using a VPN if you want us Netflix iPlayer etc.

I have an echo that I use for music and have a few smart lights and plugs they are a cool little gadget, also handy for playing radio, news as well.

Thanks for your response. Are there any difficulties that arise due to the Echo being technically available in Ireland whilst the fire TV/stick is not?

If I buy a fire stick how can I use it to play iplayer, my5 & itv hub is is difficult to do?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

If I buy a fire stick how can I use it to play iplayer, my5 & itv hub is is difficult to do?

You need to be geo-located as being in the UK to use iPlayer. So, that requires either a UK -based ISP or a VPN/DNS proxy.

what is the content difference like from being a prime video subscriber signed up with an Ireland address vs a UK address?

also - is casting from the prime video app on a phone to the fire stick / fire tv still the only way to play prime video content on the fire stick / tv?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

glasso wrote: »
    what is the content difference like from being a prime video subscriber signed up with an Ireland address vs a UK address?

also - is casting from the prime video app on a phone to the fire stick / fire tv still the only way to play prime video content on the fire stick / tv?

I've had a pain with this the last few weeks but after getting in touch with them on the chat, I can now play Prime videos on my FireTV box

• Registered Users Posts: 15,841 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

i have firestick. it uses wifi to talk to router. just use that to play content, dont have to cast

Synode wrote: »
    I've had a pain with this the last few weeks but after getting in touch with them on the chat, I can now play Prime videos on my FireTV box

it would be helpful if you would know what exactly was changed for you?

I have active prime video (currently on Irish content afaik) and a fire stick but get the location error

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭kenyard

fire stick has its own player. you just open the amazon app or voice search anything and press play.

re content availability: i dont know as i dont use amazon stuff on it.
    It has pretty much everything when you search, but 99% of it is rent or buy at additional cost so i didnt even bother trying personally.
    content list for ireland seems to be available here
    https://www.primevideo.com/ref=atv_pangaea_banner_ie

kenyard wrote: »
    fire stick has its own player. you just open the amazon app or voice search anything and press play.

re content availability: i dont know as i dont use amazon stuff on it.
    It has pretty much everything when you search, but 99% of it is rent or buy at additional cost so i didnt even bother trying personally.
    content list for ireland seems to be available here
    https://www.primevideo.com/ref=atv_pangaea_banner_ie

thanks but I'm particularly interested in the other poster's experience as I get a location error on my fire stick.

it won't play the prime video content on the prime video app on the stick. does allow amazon music to play strangely.

I can access the content on laptop etc no issue.

I have active prime video (currently on Irish content afaik) and a fire stick but get the location error
    this has been discussed in other threads with "how to".
    e.g.
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=112135677&postcount=383

some people werent able to get it working hwoever and had to go via support. main issues seemed to be having to have a uk payment so some had to set up revolut also.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

They told me that my account was set up with Amazon.com and so my location settings were in the US. They said they changed them to UK.

That was about 3 weeks ago. Then last week I opened Prime Video on my mobile and it asked me where I was. The only option was to pick Ireland which I picked. Went to watch The Expanse on Prime on the FireTV that night and it was broken again (error 5505). Had to call support as no chat option open and my god it was an annoying conversation that confused me and left Prime broken. The next day I again got in touch on the Chat and they fixed it again.

On the call your man was telling me Prime is not available in Ireland. Only Prime Video. He sounded inexperienced though

• Registered Users Posts: 8,096 ✭✭✭batistuta9

thanks but I'm particularly interested in the other poster's experience as I get a location error on my fire stick.

it won't play the prime video content on the prime video app on the stick. does allow amazon music to play strangely.

I can access the content on laptop etc no issue.

you need your prime video territory set to UK. obviously you'll only have the UK content then.
    keep trying on chat until they change it for you, you can't do it yourself

that 'how to' post is more for changing your default amazon region. make sure it's not just this that amz support change
    i set mine as UK before buying a firestick & still had irish territory for prime video.
    i think this might be set when you first try prime, so maybe that's why it works for some & not others

as for why you can't even view your irish prime video on the firestick, i think its because it's only supposed to be sold/supported in the uk & they've hardcoded the app on it to be uk only

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭steven087

Anyone know any bricks and mortor shop that sells firesticks in Ireland that have them in stock.. Currys only deliver and don't seem to be in argos anymore..

Adverts has them but generally at inflated prices.
    I got one in Argos previously but it looks like they only have the cube Now.
    I actually wouldn't mind knowing also. I may go the curries route as it saves delivery cost from Amazon /parcel motel
    Edit:curries has a 6euro charge on delivery so it's 66 euro for 4k (don't have normal)
    Amazon are 40gbp +4euro delivery(pm) so around 50 euro or 62 euro for 4k. Better to go with Amazon over curries but easier to use curries if you don't have parcel motel already
    Most of adverts Are 75 for the 4k so don't use that
    Cex shop has them also apparently second hand. Doubt they're newer versions tho

• Registered Users Posts: 7 b481

Thinking of buying the Lite stick; what won't I be able to use in Ireland w/o a VPN?

Advertisement