Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amazon Fire TV

Options
  • 04-09-2014 8:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭

I see it is now available this side of the pond. They have a good deal going at the moment where it is half price until Monday for prime subscribers.

Sort of tempted but not tempted. Can't go too wrong for €49 but I would only want it for Plex & Netflix. Already have a HTPC for Plex and use Chromecast for Netflix. Plus this box has serious audio issues with Plex. MKV containers are unable to output 5.1 and this bug has been there for 6 months now.

Anyone else tempted? I was holding out for Android TV, but it has gotten very quiet on that front since the IO.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

Torn between this, android tv or the minix-8h.
    It's warm on this part of the fence.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,907 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭MoodeRator

Tempting, but, is this locked down? Can you install XBMC? Can you connect to NAS? Can you play media from external HD using USB port? Can you sideload apps?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

MoodeRator wrote: »
    Tempting, but, is this locked down? Can you install XBMC? Can you connect to NAS? Can you play media from external HD using USB port? Can you sideload apps?

You can definitely sideload apps, as that is what is recommended for plex pass users. Don't know the answers to the other questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

Hey OP, I can only see the price at £49, not €49. Are you using amazon.de ?

Also, anyone think you could get the discount during the month's free trial of prime?

Can we Irelanders enjoy prime instant video, if we do the necessary dns changes?

Otherwise amazon prime is useless to me at £79 per year, approx €8.50 per month.

• Advertisement

Yes you can sideload apps. Yes you can stream from a nas usign an app but it seems external HDD do not work from the usb slot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Says on website: Amazon Fire TV is only available for customers living in the UK.

Now I know I can get delivered via Parcel Motel but will this work? Or will I need to hide my IP address?

Think my X8-H with XBMC by the looks of it is better option.....

Big Nelly wrote: »
    Says on website: Amazon Fire TV is only available for customers living in the UK.

Now I know I can get delivered via Parcel Motel but will this work? Or will I need to hide my IP address?

Think my X8-H with XBMC by the looks of it is better option.....

Do you get full Ethernet speed on that box? My existing android stick is a bit stuttery streaming hd sports.

Ste- wrote: »
    Do you get full Ethernet speed on that box? My existing android stick is a bit stuttery streaming hd sports.

Yes, I have it plugged in direct to the box, have tried wifi and it works great. The Android stick have wifi issues from what I have seen

Anyway I priced up Amazon Fire on the wife's account, she could get Prime for free so it was coming in £49, said f**k it and bought it :P:P:P:P:P

Could be up on adverts the day after I receive it

Big Nelly wrote: »
    Yes, I have it plugged in direct to the box, have tried wifi and it works great. The Android stick have wifi issues from what I have seen

Anyway I priced up Amazon Fire on the wife's account, she could get Prime for free so it was coming in £49, said f**k it and bought it :P:P:P:P:P

Could be up on adverts the day after I receive it

Do you stream hd football on your minix-8h ?

• Advertisement

Ste- wrote: »
    Do you stream hd football on your minix-8h ?

Not a question to be discussed on a boards forum

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭loughrey

I've had the Amazon Fire TV for over a year from Amazon in the US and it works perfectly in Ireland and is without a doubt the best streaming box out there and the only one that is capable if fast wifi streaming from over 15 meters from the internet router, a problem that plagues streaming boxes. Forget about Roky or Chromecast, I had them all and got rid of them for a bunch of Amazon Fire TVs. Dont waste your time with Android box as it has poor hardware. But I'm not sure if Amazon UK ships these boxes to Ireland as it says they are only available to UK customers?

• Registered Users Posts: 30 tsar kee

I bought one of these on adverts but I cant register it. The guy I bought if from deregistered but it still wont recognise my email address. I've spoken to Amazon three times and the last time they said it wont work in Ireland. I'm stumped cos other people dont have any problems.

Amazon are lying because I have one from the USA and it works perfectly in Ireland, even with the latest firmware. You will need to deregister his account on the Fire TV itself. I wish I was there so I could do it for you in a second. It's kind of hard to explain on Boards

loughrey wrote: »
    Amazon are lying because I have one from the USA and it works perfectly in Ireland, even with the latest firmware. You will need to deregister his account on the Fire TV itself. I wish I was there so I could do it for you in a second. It's kind of hard to explain on Boards

I made the mistake of not deregistering it on his account and now I'm stuck on the registration page. I reset it to factory settings but it's still the same.

Amazon are lying because I have one from the USA and it works perfectly in Ireland, even with the latest firmware. You will need to deregister his account on the Fire TV itself. I wish I was there so I could do it for you in a second. It's kind of hard to explain on Boards. Is it a US or UK version? I will tell you how to bypass the region restriction. Register it with a US account if it is from the US or UK if from the UK. You will need to sign up to this website, which tricks Amazon, netflix etc into thinking you are in the UK or USA. It gives you a 7 day free trial without needing you use your credit card. It will be enough time to register the device and get in. Use their instructions on the website to set it up on the Amazon Fire TV. I used this to set it up and I pay for it for the last 2 years to get US Netflix:

unlocator. com/

Amazon are lying because I have one from the USA and it works perfectly in Ireland, even with the latest firmware. You will need to deregister his account on the Fire TV itself. I wish I was there so I could do it for you in a second. It's kind of hard to explain on Boards. Is it a US or UK version? You may need to make Amazon think you are in the country it came from to register it. Make sure you create a 1-Click payment option on Amazon to download the apps. I will tell you how to bypass the region restriction in order to register the box. Register it with a US account if it is from the US or UK if from the UK. You will need to sign up to this website, which tricks Amazon, netflix etc into thinking you are in the UK or USA. It gives you a 7 day free trial without needing you use your credit card. It will be enough time to register the device and get in. Use their instructions on the website to set it up on the Amazon Fire TV. I used this to set it up and I pay for it for the last 2 years to get US Netflix:

unlocator. com/

tsar kee wrote: »
    I made the mistake of not deregistering it on his account and now I'm stuck on the registration page. I reset it to factory settings but it's still the same.

Ask him to deregister it from his Amazon.co.uk account. Use the website I gave you to trick Amazon into thinking you are registering in the UK

what does it say when you try to register? is it just frozen or does it let you type in anything?

I would encourage people to order the new Amazon Fire TV stick brand new from US sellers on Ebay and it only costs 40 euros including shipping. It's exactly the same as the Fire TV Box with the same 8gb memory. Great device that works perfectly in Ireland!

• Advertisement

follow these instructions from the Amazon site to deregister your Fire TV:

www. amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=201452550

When you contact support don't tell them you're in Ireland, tell them you're in the UK and purchased it from someone but don't know how to deregister the seller's account on the device and register yours. The won't entertain Irish people as it's not officially sold in the Irish market yet. Pretend you're from the UK

what does it say when you try to register? is it just frozen or does it let you type in anything?

Yes it lets me type my email address and password but I get a message in red saying it doesn't match an amazon account.

They also said its deregistered from his account.

I can't get into settings to deregister.

Well, you'll need to know if it is a US or a UK model. What I'd do is create a new account on either the US or the UK Amazon website, depending on where it originated and see if it will recognise the new account. Ask the seller if it is a US or UK Fire TV as it is important to know which market it came from.

Well, you'll need to know if it is a US or a UK model. What I'd do is create a new account on either the US or the UK Amazon website, depending on where it originated, activate the device on that account and see if it will recognise the new account. Ask the seller if it is a US or UK Fire TV as it is important to know which market it came from.

Well, you'll need to know if it is a US or a UK model. What I'd do is create a new account on either the US or the UK Amazon website, depending on where it originated, activate the device on that account and see if it will recognise the new account. Ask the seller if it is a US or UK Fire TV as it is important to know which market it came from.

It's a UK fire tv. I've opened two new accounts but it makes no difference.

Well you should contact Amazon and tell them the Fire TV won't recognise your account. Tell them you got it as a gift and don't mention Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38 frenchie091

I just got an Amazon Fire TV Stick from the US on eBay and registered it with my amazon.co.uk account. There are a couple of apps that I wanted to use on it and which are available in the UK (TuneIn Radio, Mubi) that don't seem to be available here. I wonder if I can't see those apps because I'm coming from an Irish IP or because there's an Irish billing address associated with my account?

If I tried unregistering the device, setting up unlocator, and then registering again (with .co.uk account) would I be able to access UK apps?

Advertisement