Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2015

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭dmm82

• Registered Users Posts: 12,409 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Pretty sure Richard said in his Rolling Stone interview that he won't be doing gigs under the name Aphex Twin anymore.

I think what he meant was he wouldn't be doing DJ sets as Aphex Twin (Forbidden Fruit, Oxegen) but more like he will be touring his album Syro as a musician hopefully, so maybe there will be decks there but he will have synthesizers and perhaps robots providing the beats. :D:D

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

Have to say I have 100% faith in the organizers to hit the nail on the head again next year. Some of the names being thrown around here are very nice though, New Order, Hot Chip, Fleetwood Mac, Chvrches, Flight Facilities, Todd Terje, 2manydjs, Horse Meat Disco, Caribou would all be some names I would love to see next year! Would Prince be too unrealistic?

Think we are only driving ourselves insane speculating this early though! Did anyone else read in one of the papers that they are increasing capacity by 5,000 again next year?

It looks like they are trying to match Bestival's capacity which stands at 55,000, it wouldn't be far off, so maybe headliners like Stevie Wonder or Elton John, hopefully not though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

Queen-Mise wrote: »

I don't mind them increasing the capacity - but they will need to increase the size of the central arena. Maybe increase size of arena to include Salty Dog & Trenchtown - and that would also solve the problem of the Sunday Daytrippers not being able to go to both.

If they were moved in - then the food vans good be moved back slightly - giving more room for the main stage.

Having a bigger capacity will be mean bigger acts - which I have no objection to.

And something will have to be done about the entrance from Jimi Hendrix - that was crazy this year.

"Bigger acts" doesn't necessarily mean better acts though.

The festival has gone from an amazing small festival to a good mid-sized festival but the shanty town/filth/rubbish tip factor has rocketed up in the last 3-4 years.

The size of the site is a problem when it comes to expanding, and already it's impossible to get to some area's of the site on Sundays. If they just keep increasing the capacity and start booking the likes of Beyonce and the ****ing Chili Pepper's they'll kill what makes EP great and we'll just have Oxegen in a nicer setting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭TheGoldenAges

ldnboy87 wrote: »
    Could The Libertines be a possibility?

Considering they played in Hyde Park during the summer and are now doing a European tour, is it possible they will do the festival rounds next summer?

They're working on an album for early summer release date so it's definitely a possibility. Still think it's more likely they'll get a standalone date in Marlay Park.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,901 ✭✭✭paulbok

"Bigger acts" doesn't necessarily mean better acts though.

The festival has gone from an amazing small festival to a good mid-sized festival but the shanty town/filth/rubbish tip factor has rocketed up in the last 3-4 years.

The size of the site is a problem when it comes to expanding, and already it's impossible to get to some area's of the site on Sundays. If they just keep increasing the capacity and start booking the likes of Beyonce and the ****ing Chili Pepper's they'll kill what makes EP great and we'll just have Oxegen in a nicer setting.

Absolutely, None of the headliners or 2nd billers this year could be classed as big acts (Only Arctic Monkey from last year would currently be classed as big). Did that take away from the weekend? No f'ing way, Don't remember much from Friday night, thanks to too many little green cans while watching Little Green Cars, but Portishead & Beck were as good a gig I've ever been to.

Someone posted an aerial photo on the 2014 thread and while you can see where additional camping could go, the arena doesn't look like it could be expanded, save for moving the pink moon campsite. There are used access roads that define most of the boundaries of the site, so these can't be moved.
    The additional 5000 this year was noticeable, I felt the site was just about able to cope with it. If it had been a wet weekend, it would have been awful. Another 5000 would make it uncomfortable even with good weather and I believe it would put some regulars off from going.
    Not snobbery, before anyone jumps in with that, but EP has always been a success as a boutique festival, greater than the sum of it's many parts. If it becomes another packed festival, with a shift in music acts from the current mix of eclectic/older/up and coming/cult acts to more mainstream big acts, then the very nature of what made EP EP will be gone, and it'll quickly die off like Oxegen did after a year or two.

Golden Goose syndrome if the increase in capacity is true.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

deeceemee wrote: »
    A full lineup is necessary on the Friday next year, so King Kong Company and Le Galaxey in the Electric Arena back to back to kick the Friday night mayhem off would be sweet! Fleetwood Mac, Tracy Chapman, Aphex Twin, New Order, Moby, Daft Punk, Radiohead, Planatery Assault System. Imelda Mays vibe would also fit into the Traller Park Stage nicely in my humble opinion

€150 tickets next year + 2 years selling out with cut-down Friday = almost no hope of a full Friday any time soon.

It looks like they are trying to match Bestival's capacity which stands at 55,000, it wouldn't be far off, so maybe headliners like Stevie Wonder or Elton John, hopefully not though.
    no, there's absolutely no reason whatsoever to try and "match" Bestival's capacity.

Queen-Mise wrote: »
    I don't mind them increasing the capacity - but they will need to increase the size of the central arena. Maybe increase size of arena to include Salty Dog & Trenchtown - and that would also solve the problem of the Sunday Daytrippers not being able to go to both.

If they were moved in - then the food vans good be moved back slightly - giving more room for the main stage.

Having a bigger capacity will be mean bigger acts - which I have no objection to.

And something will have to be done about the entrance from Jimi Hendrix - that was crazy this year.
    they can't move the main arena boundaries to incorporate Salty Dog as then they'd have to move the security checkpoints into Oscar Wilde, which is far too much hassle.
    plus the woods make it far too easy to sneak between the campsites/arena.

if daytrippers want to see all EP stuff, then buy a weekend ticket.

dmm82 wrote: »

His sister just posted that he'd been found.

• Advertisement

Just seen that.... he must have been on a serious session! Hes in big trouble now though I'd say

Just seen that.... he must have been on a serious session! Hes in big trouble now though I'd say

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭ganone

Aphex Twin, Grizzly Bear, The XX, Massive attack, The Knife, Bjork, The Bees, Chris Smither, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, The Irregulars, Black Rebel Motorcycle Club, Perfume Genius, TOM, Boyz Noize, Titular,
    Simian Mobile Disco, This Co., Future Islands, Manic Street Preachers, The Boomsticks, Daft punk

ganone wrote: »
    Aphex Twin, Grizzly Bear, The XX, Massive attack, The Knife, Bjork, The Bees, Chris Smither, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, The Irregulars, Black Rebel Motorcycle Club, Perfume Genius, TOM, Boyz Noize, Titular,
    Simian Mobile Disco, This Co., Future Islands, Manic Street Preachers, The Boomsticks, Daft punk

Yes please to most of these, although The Knife have broken up! :(

paulbok wrote: »
    Absolutely, None of the headliners or 2nd billers this year could be classed as big acts (Only Arctic Monkey from last year would currently be classed as big). Did that take away from the weekend? No f'ing way, Don't remember much from Friday night, thanks to too many little green cans while watching Little Green Cars, but Portishead & Beck were as good a gig I've ever been to.

Someone posted an aerial photo on the 2014 thread and while you can see where additional camping could go, the arena doesn't look like it could be expanded, save for moving the pink moon campsite. There are used access roads that define most of the boundaries of the site, so these can't be moved.
    The additional 5000 this year was noticeable, I felt the site was just about able to cope with it. If it had been a wet weekend, it would have been awful. Another 5000 would make it uncomfortable even with good weather and I believe it would put some regulars off from going.
    Not snobbery, before anyone jumps in with that, but EP has always been a success as a boutique festival, greater than the sum of it's many parts. If it becomes another packed festival, with a shift in music acts from the current mix of eclectic/older/up and coming/cult acts to more mainstream big acts, then the very nature of what made EP EP will be gone, and it'll quickly die off like Oxegen did after a year or two.

Golden Goose syndrome if the increase in capacity is true.

Yep, for all the gnashing of teeth about the poor lineup since the original announcement the quality of music and performance of the weekend was outstanding.

Tune-yards in particular knocked my socks off on Friday night.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

ganone wrote: »

The Knife are finished "for good" have they finish touring the last album.

So ya,

New Order have a new album coming supposedly.
    Todd Terje - due a visit back
    Moderat - scandalous they werent booked by anyone this year
    Royksopp - preferably without Robyn
    Caribou - hasn't done a live set there since 2010
    Justice - Full live set ( although getting them out of bed for anything is hard)
    Nicolas Jaar - Would be lost on a lot of people but would be incredible
    Massive Attack - Talks of a new album
    Groove Armada - long over due a proper tour
    Gogol Bordello - Someone get these guys to a festival in Ireland they would be an incredible festival act
    Skream - again scandalous no one has ever booked him
    Aphex Twin - Probably not going to tour, would be too predictable of him

• Registered Users Posts: 2,482 ✭✭✭JG009

IF you bought your camper van ticket at the start, when did they post it out to you does anyone know from this year? Thanks.

lbj666 wrote: »
    Skream - again scandalous no one has ever booked him
    i think he played about 5 years ago. might have been Oxegen though.
    plays in Dublin semi-regularly.

i think he played about 5 years ago. might have been Oxegen though.
    plays in Dublin semi-regularly.

Ya correction he played EP back in 07 and with Benga in 09, its still mad to think he hasn't played a festival in ireland for a long time, he's at Bestival nearly every year.

I dunno, could certainly think of worse things than a sunny afternoon at EP listening to Stevie Wonder. :)
    They should try and get Dolly Parton too, I wouldn't go see her on her own but she'd be good craic live I'd say.
    Yes please to most of these, although The Knife have broken up! :(
    lbj666 wrote: »
    The Knife are finished "for good" have they finish touring the last album.

This I did not know. Hopefully it means Karin will bring Fever Ray back to life!

• Advertisement

I dunno, could certainly think of worse things than a sunny afternoon at EP listening to Stevie Wonder. :)
    They should try and get Dolly Parton too, I wouldn't go see her on her own but she'd be good craic live I'd say.

This I did not know. Hopefully it means Karin will bring Fever Ray back to life!

God only knows what Karin will do next, Fever Ray would be the most obvious thing to do so knowing her she probably won't do it.
    I suppose given that shaking the habitual show its good to see that she hasn't gone totally dark.

What wouldn't give to have herself and royskopp on the same stage doing What else is there and This must be it

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭deeceemee

JG009 wrote: »
    IF you bought your camper van ticket at the start, when did they post it out to you does anyone know from this year? Thanks.

You should get this about two weeks before the festival at the latest. If you dont receive it by then get on to ticketmaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,306 ✭✭✭Fatfrog

Yep, for all the gnashing of teeth about the poor lineup since the original announcement the quality of music and performance of the weekend was outstanding.

Tune-yards in particular knocked my socks off on Friday night.

Yea agreed, think the general gripe was the headliner quality (which I personally thought was excellent!! Like Beck and Outkast killer bookings for a small festival like the EP to get!) but some of the 'sub' acts were absolutely terrific and some no doubt will be future headliners!
    Mogwai,
    Foals,
    LG,
    Temples!
    The Horrors
    Jungle
    The wailers
    (To name but a few)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

I noticed a lot of people sneaking in this year so I really hope they sort it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,306 ✭✭✭Fatfrog

I noticed a lot of people sneaking in this year so I really hope they sort it out.

Must be a big problem, noticed they had a substantially bigger perimeter fence.

The amount of skangers hanging about Stradbally on Saturday afternoon was scary enough, 14 and 15 year olds, going up to folk with wristbands and asking them the best way to bunk into the festival, thank god I was at the crew camp that had a fair few security at it.

The amount of skangers hanging about Stradbally on Saturday afternoon was scary enough, 14 and 15 year olds, going up to folk with wristbands and asking them the best way to bunk into the festival, thank god I was at the crew camp that had a fair few security at it.

Yeah i had to leave the site at one point on Saturday evening and the amount of people scurrying around outside looking for a way in when i was making my way back was crazy.

Btw BD i enjoyed your festival review but you should have battled your way through the crowd for Tune-yards!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,307 ✭✭✭✭alastair

There was an interesting scene outside the entrance to Pink Moon on Saturday night - there was a gap under the fence and muddy arms were digging through from the forest, watched by a bunch of punters and a couple of amused security men.

raising-arizona-prison-break-o.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Would it be right to presume that after Sept. 30th all tickets will be 230 euro?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭sadie06

We were leaving about half way through Arctic Monkeys last year on the Sunday night and even at that late stage security were on high alert. We were walking back towards the family camping gate and saw a guy being caught trying to hop the wall.

Advertisement