Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Schools called to accommodate Isalamic beliefs

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Help!!!! wrote: »
    Wow didn't realise there were so many anti Christians out tonight
    As I said I am not religious but if you spoke to most foreigners that will describe Ireland as a Christian country
    The same way as they would describe another country as Muslim, Buddhist etc

Who is being anti Christian?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Brian Shanahan

Pherekydes wrote: »
    Apart from banning pianos, ham sandwiches, gyms, contact sports, the school hop, singing, laughter, swimming, sports days, school trips, science, music, birdsong and custard, I see no problems with this guy's opinions.

Don't forget the banning of evolution. Muslims are big on banning that in the last few years, for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭Help!!!!

Gordon wrote: »
    Are you a foreigner? Is that why you refer to Ireland as a Christian country?

I'm Irish but have lived in the UK for a number of years but have met many foreigners of different religions/beliefs who all talk passionately about Ireland being a Christian country
    I guess its just the locals.....
    & again I'm not religious but we seem to be getting away from the original post

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

This boils my blood - I say no fuppin' way. I don't necessarily think that teaching religion in schools adds anything, never got anything out of it myself. The whole communion\confirmation thing is obviously pretty central but just the thought of this being brought up in any of the Islamic countries to change the way their state schools are run to accomodate the Catholic faith....we'd be laughed out of there.

....what they do there is irrelevant. Muslims are not some hive minded entity.
    Help wrote:
    I'm not religious but Ireland is a Christian country & so should stay that way.

It's supposedly a secular Republic. Slagging off muslim states while calling for the same sort of nonsense for Jesus is rather amusing though.
    Help wrote:
    The problem with the U.K. is they bent over backwards to the extent that a white Englishman will get no council house even after paying taxes all there lives but a Somali family will come in & get a 4 bedroom house .

The usual xenophobic bollocksology I see. Why can't we just slag off yer man on what he said, without attracting every sad bigoted cliché out there.....

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭beveragelady

Nope not implied any of that.......just hope you feel as passionate against the Muslims wanting your Daughter (if you have one ) dressed as a post box

That's exactly what you implied.

As regards your ridiculous statement about how my theoretical daughter would dress, I'm going to answer it seriously anyway.

I would defend anybody against any sort of religious, cultural or ideological oppression. In this country, we have a sorry history of oppression by the Catholic hierarchy. Its time is almost at en end, thankfully, and I would reject any other form of oppression that rose up to take its place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,114 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

To say I am not a Christian does not imply that I am anti-Christian. To suggest this is offensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭JPCN1

lazygal wrote: »
    If Allah didn't want us to clap, why did he give us two hands?

One to wipe with, the other to throw stones at adulterers?

Nodin wrote: »
    ....what they do there is irrelevant. Muslims are not some hive minded entity.

It's supposedly a secular Republic. Slagging off muslim states while calling for the same sort of nonsense for Jesus is rather amusing though.

The usual xenophobic bollocksology I see. Why can't we just slag off yer man on what he said, without attracting every sad bigoted cliché out there.....

& he rides in on his great steed again to save another thread about minoritys

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭actuallylike

As I said I am not religious but if you spoke to most foreigners that will describe Ireland as a Christian country
    The same way as they would describe another country as Muslim, Buddhist etc

A lot of these countries are founded on the principle of their religion. Israel is a state founded on the Jewish Ideology (I think) as plenty of Muslim states are founded on the principles of the Koran. That is what makes them associated with the particular religions.

Ireland is a place that had a very strong Catholic presence, that is all. It wasn't formed to reflect the Bible, the church just had a hold here, which is slipping every day.

We have a chance here to do good and stop this in its tracks. I'm not saying to close the borders. I'm also not saying to behave like us or píss off. I'm saying that anything state funded should have absolutely no input from a religious organisation whatsoever, whether Catholic, Protestant, Jewish, Muslim or anything that requires absolute submission to something you can't even prove exists.

That's exactly what you implied.

As regards your ridiculous statement about how my theoretical daughter would dress, I'm going to answer it seriously anyway.

I would defend anybody against any sort of religious, cultural or ideological oppression. In this country, we have a sorry history of oppression by the Catholic hierarchy. Its time is almost at en end, thankfully, and I would reject any other form of oppression that rose up to take its place.

Sorry did you start reading from the OP or did you get involved mid thread?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,523 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

have met many foreigners of different religions/beliefs who all talk passionately about Ireland being a Christian country
    They all talk passionately about Ireland being a Christian country eh?

Sorry, but that's hilarious, I don't believe that for a second! I've lived in many countries and visited more and told people where I'm from (Scotland) in many of those countries. I don't think anyone, anywhere, has ever commented on the religions of Scotland's (or UK's) majority population. It may have happened, I can't recall to be honest, but they most certainly wouldn't have talked 'passionately' about it, maybe as small talk.

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭beveragelady

Sorry did you start reading from the OP or did you get involved mid thread?

Apology accepted.

I read each post.

They all talk passionately about Ireland being a Christian country eh?

Sorry, but that's hilarious, I don't believe that for a second! I've lived in many countries and visited more and told people where I'm from (Scotland) in many of those countries. I don't think anyone, anywhere, has ever commented on the religions of Scotland's (or UK's) majority population. It may have happened, I can't recall to be honest, but they most certainly wouldn't have talked 'passionately' about it, maybe as small talk.

Did you know that Polish people call Poland a Christian country?
    Lithuanian?

Philip7304 wrote: »
    Why do we have to accommodate this religion so much.....why cant we just say no...

Because our leaders continue to be too chicken-livered to say no to the equally evil roman catholic church in these matters. In a country like Ireland once you give one group privilege you end up giving all similar groups the same privilege.

Did you know that Polish people call Poland a Christian country?
    Lithuanian?
    How many people? 100% of Polish people living in Poland? Even if that were true, what has it got to do with Ireland being called a Christian country by yourself?

How many people? 100% of Polish people living in Poland? Even if that were true, what has it got to do with Ireland being called a Christian country by yourself?

Wow and your a moderator

Wow and your a moderator
    Wow, and you're dodging I presume.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,233 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Wow and your a moderator

He's an Admin! Salute. Quickl! You might get away with it!

Wow, and you're dodging I presume.

So do you think I'm the only person who has ever said Ireland is a Christian country?

endacl wrote: »
    He's an Admin! Salute. Quickl! You might get away with it!

Potatoes ,Tomatoes

• Advertisement

I'm not religious but Ireland is a Christian country & so should stay that way.e

No. Ireland is a secular country by constitutional provision. Therefore it should start acting like one and stop favouring any and all religions.

The so called "christianity" of this country has long disappeared (and well it has too) leaving only a faint echo in the fact that the majority of the people still tick "catholic" on the census, despite believing exactly 0 of the crazy things mandated by the rcc as mandatory.

So do you think I'm the only person who has ever said Ireland is a Christian country?
    You seem very hung up on what other people think. You seem to think that everyone in Poland thinks Poland is a Christian country. 100% is 'everyone'. You seem to think that every foreigner thinks Ireland is a Christian country. You think that if one person agrees that Ireland is a Christian country, then it's fact?

I think you should be a person that decides for yourself, that takes everything into account and makes a decision based upon your own thought processes.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Wow and your a moderator
    And your been rude.

Cut out the tatty gybes will ya and try debayte loike a nadult.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Not at all, lots of ill-informed people say it.

Ireland was a Catholic country, and by Catholic country I mean a country where the Catholic Church affectively controlled government policy's. TDs were afraid to upset the Bishops after all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭Rezident

No.

Can you imagine if you started trying to bring non-Muslim culture into Muslim countries? You know like treating women with respect, and not blowing people up because they are different to you and maybe saying that if someone wants to abandon their religion when they grow up that we do NOT kill them?

No.

Honestly, I believe that belief systems that facilitate public decapitations, mass murder, rape etc., like Islam for example, will be illegal in the future. I know the world would be a better place without Islam in it. Hurry up.

Wrong again (you should stop being so, it is habit forming). We are just as annoyed over your attempts to discriminate against us as you are about muslims attempting to discriminate against you.

Once you get that basic idea into your head, then you'll realise that we are right to call out anybody who calls Ireland (or any other nation) christian (or any other religion). There should be no religious interference in state matters and there should be no state interference in religious beliefs, anywhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Rezident wrote: »
    No.

Can you imagine if you started trying to bring non-Muslim culture into Muslim countries? You know like treating women with respect, and not blowing people up because they are different to you and maybe saying that if someone wants to abandon their religion when they grow up that we do NOT kill them?

No.

Honestly, I believe that belief systems that facilitate public decapitations, mass murder, rape etc., like Islam for example, will be illegal in the future. I know the world would be a better place without Islam in it. Hurry up.

Are there anymore sweeping generalisations and sectarian stereotypes that you can fit into that post?

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭The Domonator

No religion in schools. Indoctrinate your kids on your own time please. I don't pay taxes for our youth to be brainwashed.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

I don't pay taxes for our youth to be brainwashed.
    Oh, yes you do.

Between the two of them, religion and Irish, I believe (don't have time to check) we're adding around one billion euro to the country's annual education bill.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭openup

Why do so many people say "What would happen if you tried to bring Catholicism into a Muslim country?!" Like, what has that got to do with anything?

This man is obviously a loon. I'm not going to say they're aren't millions or others like him but having met lots of devout (and not so devout) Muslims, he is definitely not the norm. I do think that Muslim celebrations should be marked in schools (along with celebrations of all faith present). I also don't see the problem with a prayer room (there was one in my secondary school for the one muslim student but he never used it) or girls leaving their hijab on for sports? There are plenty of hijabi athletes, I can't understand why it would be against health and safety.

Advertisement