Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Feed a family nutritionally well for <€132 a week

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

still alot of crisps, or as it was today Dorito's involved.

1 Pack, a lot?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,029 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

ch750536 wrote: »
    1 Pack, a lot?

I think he's point is that a daily packet of crisps for everyone isn't exactly in line with eating nutritional well. Its exactly the type of "low grade, nutritionally empty food" you set out to avoid.

This is much more nutritional important, than whether or not your veg is organic.

Ah, see the issue. I think you are misreading me. I'm aiming to ensure all vital nutrients are there, I never said I would exclude nonsense though obviously cash spent on nonsense is not spent on nutrients.

Mellor wrote: »
    I think he's point is that a daily packet of crisps for everyone isn't exactly in line with eating nutritional well. Its exactly the type of "low grade, nutritionally empty food" you set out to avoid.

This is much more nutritional important, than whether or not your veg is organic.

I think you underestimate the nutrition of fresh local organic vs supermarket cheap food.

I think you underestimate the nutrition of fresh local organic vs supermarket cheap food.
    I think fresh is hugely important. My shopping consists mostly of meat and veg. Ideally as fresh as possible. I usually buy my veg from a proper fruit and veg shop, but I'll often have to skip something and get in in the supermarket as it's clearly been there a while.

I think the organic benefit is overstated at times. Food doesn't need to be organic to be fresh, in fact organic cold easily be sitting around longer due to not selling as well. I guess I'm just yet to see convincing evidence for organic.

• Advertisement

I think the organic benefit is overstated at times. Food doesn't need to be organic to be fresh, in fact organic cold easily be sitting around longer due to not selling as well. I guess I'm just yet to see convincing evidence for organic.

The food gets the nutrients from the soil. These days you get a 'cucumber farm' or a 'pepper farm' where the same crop is planted year after year after year. Peppers take zinc from the soil, after 3 years there is no zinc left. As a lay field is no profit the other option is to chemically add zinc to the field which allows no break in production.
    IMG_20140904_214543243.jpg
    Although zinc allows the peppers to grow the field is also devoid of nutrients. The producer does not care as it doesn't impact the ability to grow. We end up with a pepper that is big, shiny & empty.
    The farmer around the corner from me is certified organic. I turn up and we walk around picking from the plants & placing into bags. He grows maybe 20 / 30 varieties, including grapes & peach trees in poly tunnels, lots of flowers (also edible) and understands how to use the land & rotate. He gives me oddly coloured, oddly shaped things that taste fantastic.
    Source

• Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

No doubt that all that food pictured above looks delicious and is very healthy, but imagine how unbelievably healthy it would be nutrient wise with some good quality fish/liver/organ meats/meat. I just think if your idea is to be super healthy by being vegan instead of being vegan on ethical grounds you are cutting the nose off in spite of the face, especially in a country known world over for its quality of meat.

Davei141 wrote: »
    No doubt that all that food pictured above looks delicious and is very healthy, but imagine how unbelievably healthy it would be nutrient wise with some good quality fish/liver/organ meats/meat. I just think if your idea is to be super healthy by being vegan instead of being vegan on ethical grounds you are cutting the nose off in spite of the face, especially in a country known world over for its quality of meat.

It's really not a vegan issue. I cover all the macro's really well so no problem, plenty of protein in the diet.
    Although the beef & lamb is great, the pork and chicken are not so. Many irish pork products are <80% pork. The curing of pork is done by adding lots of chemicals and I just don't see it as being fit for human consumption.
    Happy to debate this on the vegan forum or by PM. I am vegan and I do live a healthy life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

It's really not a vegan issue. I cover all the macro's really well so no problem, plenty of protein in the diet.
    Although the beef & lamb is great, the pork and chicken are not so. Many irish pork products are <80% pork. The curing of pork is done by adding lots of chemicals and I just don't see it as being fit for human consumption.
    Happy to debate this on the vegan forum or by PM. I am vegan and I do live a healthy life.

When you say you cover all macros really well, what do you weight and how many grams of protein do you take in a day(on averaged out)

When you say you cover all macros really well, what do you weight and how many grams of protein do you take in a day(on averaged out)

I honestly don't know what I weigh nor do I want to know. If my protein is low for 2-3 days I'll take a supplement or I'll specifically target high protein foods.

Roughly if protein for the last 3 days <150g then I'll take 200g today.

I'll adjust this based on what is going on in my life also, am I moving about a lot or sitting still etc.

As with everything I consume, I won't look at day to day detail (other than water) but I do look at what I may be missing 'lately'.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

Lots of bread, crisps and weetabix, some waffles, doughnuts and tonnes of pasta and rice.

Doesn't sound very nutritious. Lots of fruit and carbs.

I honestly don't know what I weigh nor do I want to know. If my protein is low for 2-3 days I'll take a supplement or I'll specifically target high protein foods.

Roughly if protein for the last 3 days <150g then I'll take 200g today.

I'll adjust this based on what is going on in my life also, am I moving about a lot or sitting still etc.

As with everything I consume, I won't look at day to day detail (other than water) but I do look at what I may be missing 'lately'.

Well your weight generally determines what type of macro's you need, if your not active somewhere in the ballpark of you bodyweight in Kg (in grams 80kg=80g of protein) is the amount of grams of protein you eat...So if you 80kg, over a 4 day period you should be taking in 320g thats pretty minimum and if your active it needs to be higher...

Also make sure you are taking a lot of FLax or Chia seeds for Omega 3, if you want to take in 300mg of usable omega 3 your'd nearly want to be taking about 30g of those seeds...

Also You need to take a Vit b12 supp as you can't get that from a vegan diet

Lots of bread, crisps and weetabix, some waffles, doughnuts and tonnes of pasta and rice.

You understand this is 4 of us?
    I has 2 slices of bread yesterday. No crisps. No weetabix. No waffles. No Doughnuts. 100g of pasta. No rice.

Hmmmmm.:confused:

Well your weight generally determines what type of macro's you need, if your not active somewhere in the ballpark of you bodyweight in Kg (in grams 80kg=80g of protein) is the amount of grams of protein you eat...So if you 80kg, over a 4 day period you should be taking in 320g thats pretty minimum and if your active it needs to be higher...

Also make sure you are taking a lot of FLax or Chia seeds for Omega 3, if you want to take in 300mg of usable omega 3 your'd nearly want to be taking about 30g of those seeds...

Also You need to take a Vit b12 supp as you can't get that from a vegan diet

Yep, I know all this but thanks for the notice.
    We do have a lot of seeds in the diet, is a difficult one to add in though. I bought a 1kg bag of organic mixed seeds which gets sprinkled on most things, but I don't tell you about that.

Omega 3 I take from algae (it's where fish get it from). Hard to source and have run out but am hoping to get back in pretty soon.

B12 - I have organic veg, not washed so am fine for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Animord

Pretty sure this is a vegan myth - it is all over the internet - the theory is that there is enough animal and human excrement in the soil to supply the B12 needs of humans if they don't wash their food.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

bluewolf wrote: »
    Are these breakdowns an average for the kids or everyone.
    Look at the dates & read what I have already said about the EXAMPLE

You understand this is 4 of us?
    I has 2 slices of bread yesterday. No crisps. No weetabix. No waffles. No Doughnuts. 100g of pasta. No rice.

Hmmmmm.:confused:

We've asked for breakdowns before and you won't give them.
    If the kids are the ones eating donuts and waffles and crisps it's still not ideal and not a prime example of "nutritious", no matter where the veg comes from

Yep, I know all this but thanks for the notice.
    We do have a lot of seeds in the diet, is a difficult one to add in though. I bought a 1kg bag of organic mixed seeds which gets sprinkled on most things, but I don't tell you about that.

Omega 3 I take from algae (it's where fish get it from). Hard to source and have run out but am hoping to get back in pretty soon.

The only source of Vit b12 for vegans is Spirulina but its a poorly absorbed form, other than that there is no other

http://examine.com/supplements/Vitamin+B12/

http://examine.com/supplements/Spirulina/

We've asked for breakdowns before and you won't give them.

& I keep saying that breakdown now is pointless, after day 5 makes more sense.
    If the kids are the ones eating donuts and waffles and crisps it's still not ideal and not a prime example of "nutritious", no matter where the veg comes from

1 doughnut a week is fine. In fact, 1 doughnut a week and 1 pack of crisps \ popcorn in the school lunch each day is really good compared to most kids.

2 waffles eaten by the entire family, THIS WEEK does not seem excessive.

I don't expect them to get their nutrition from this. The doughnut does not delete nutrition. If they had 100% of their nutritional needs and then had a doughnut it does not mean that their nutrition vanishes. Sure, they have some bad stuff too but the good stuff is still there.

tldr;
    Read & don't be a hater. There is loads of nutrition in our food, why focus on the 1 doughnut & 2 waffles we have consumed in total between 4 people in the last 5 days....

The only source of Vit b12 for vegans is Spirulina but its a poorly absorbed form, other than that there is no other

http://examine.com/supplements/Vitamin+B12/

http://examine.com/supplements/Spirulina/

B12 is found naturally in manure fertilized soil.

ok, but can you post a peer reviewed journal to confirm this please

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

The Mind baffles , Meat "unsafe for human consumption" Eats unwashed veg grown in poop...

ok, but can you post a peer reviewed journal to confirm this please

I possibly can but I'm not going to.

B12 is found in manure. That doesn't mean it's found in plants that grow in thus soil.

Are you really suggesting eating traces of manure is your source of B12?

B12 is found in manure. That doesn't mean it's found in plants that grow in thus soil.

Are you really suggesting eating traces of manure is your source of B12?

Yes.

& I keep saying that breakdown now is pointless, after day 5 makes more sense.

1 doughnut a week is fine. In fact, 1 doughnut a week and 1 pack of crisps \ popcorn in the school lunch each day is really good compared to most kids.

2 waffles eaten by the entire family, THIS WEEK does not seem excessive.

I don't expect them to get their nutrition from this. The doughnut does not delete nutrition. If they had 100% of their nutritional needs and then had a doughnut it does not mean that their nutrition vanishes. Sure, they have some bad stuff too but the good stuff is still there.

tldr;
    Read & don't be a hater. There is loads of nutrition in our food, why focus on the 1 doughnut & 2 waffles we have consumed in total between 4 people in the last 5 days....

A pack of crisps every day for kids IS excessive. Things like that are supposed to be a treat, in moderation, not an every day thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭Dotcomdolly

I usually stick to my budget of €150 per week for family off 4 and we eat meat every day, don't use processed items an awful lot, esp not for main meals.

A pack of crisps every day for kids IS excessive. Things like that are supposed to be a treat, in moderation, not an every day thing.

Thats why they have 2 packs a week. Seriously guys, you need to read what I write & not make things up.

I usually stick to my budget of €150 per week for family off 4 and we eat meat every day, don't use processed items an awful lot, esp not for main meals.

€150 seems to be about where I'm heading in week 1. How do they do nutritionally, roughly?

Thats why they have 2 packs a week.

Then why say they have a pack of crisps or popcorn each day?

• Advertisement

Then why say they have a pack of crisps or popcorn each day?

Ah, now you're nearly quoting me.....

Change 1 more thing.

Advertisement