Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What's The Worst Pain You've Ever Experienced?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Davarus Walrus

Sliotar travelling at speed into the bollocks. Minor hurling match. Rural Galway. 1997.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Wisdom teeth. I prayed for death.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 220 ✭✭Ravenid

Fractured 3 Vertebrae after falling down a stairs.

Wasn't the source of the pain.

Fractured Vertebrae on a stretcher in the back of an ambulance and hitting speed bumps :(

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭irish coldplayer

burst appendix, the pain before and after the operation was like nothing else I've ever experienced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

That muscle spasm in the calf muscles in the middle of the night. Before I learned how to get rid of it, I used to have to bite the pillow to stifle the screaming. Hideous.

Actually, no. The worst was burning my cornea with un-neutralised hydrogen peroxide cleaning solution. Twice.

Broke my gee bone.

Does that even exist?

(shuffles away somewhere quiet to do an emergency self-inspection!) :(:D

The Pain splitting my sides reading the second post :D

OldNotWIse wrote: »
    That muscle spasm in the calf muscles in the middle of the night. Before I learned how to get rid of it, I used to have to bite the pillow to stifle the screaming. Hideous.

The type where you've to hop out of bed and stand up to stop it asap?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭billymitchell

Getting an infected cyst removed without anesthetic. Doctor was just poking away at an open infected wound for about 30 minutes. Not a good day for Billy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Ulnar

Being awake during an Operation (C-Section with No Anaesthetic )

Spent 6wks in a Maternity hospital trying to avoid an early delivery. Genius junior Doctor removed a a much needed canula and refused to replace it.

Roll on 3hrs and I suffered a massive blood loss, rushed in for emergency section only for them to find no canula for anaesthetic. Blood loss meant I had no viable veins( they stuck needles in my toes, jugular to name a few spots trying to locate one)

Finally Dr thought he found a vein(he didn't) and pumped in a bucket load of Ketamine. Eyes close and Surgeon begins cutting and I tried to scream and move but body was paralyzed. Could hear and feel everything from the first cut, pain knocked me out for bit then back to feeling pain

Got to the recovery room and as soon as I could move my feet I tried to get up from the trolley shouting I felt everything. Cue a crap load of medical staff trying to put me back to bed.

Anesthetic guy came around and said he didn't think it was possible 1/1000 but when I could tell him what he was saying after I was 'asleep' he nearly died. Seemingly my shooting heart rate was put down to massive blood loss not being in pain.

Surprisingly the surgeon never came to see me after the delivery

eh ... jesus
    did you complain, sue, something

bluewolf wrote: »
    The type where you've to hop out of bed and stand up to stop it asap?

I find stretching the leg out and pulling toes back helps.

Ulnar wrote: »

Spent 6wks in a Maternity hospital trying to avoid an early delivery. Genius junior Doctor removed a a much needed canula and refused to replace it.

Roll on 3hrs and I suffered a massive blood loss, rushed in for emergency section only for them to find no canula for anaesthetic. Blood loss meant I had no viable veins( they stuck needles in my toes, jugular to name a few spots trying to locate one)

Finally Dr thought he found a vein(he didn't) and pumped in a bucket load of Ketamine. Eyes close and Surgeon begins cutting and I tried to scream and move but body was paralyzed. Could hear and feel everything from the first cut, pain knocked me out for bit then back to feeling pain

Got to the recovery room and as soon as I could move my feet I tried to get up from the trolley shouting I felt everything. Cue a crap load of medical staff trying to put me back to bed.

Anesthetic guy came around and said he didn't think it was possible 1/1000 but when I could tell him what he was saying after I was 'asleep' he nearly died. Seemingly my shooting heart rate was put down to massive blood loss not being in pain.

I think you win the thread :eek: That's like something Stephen King would dream up - being able to feel the pain but not being able to move? Mother of all that's holy :(

bluewolf wrote: »
    eh ... jesus
    did you complain, sue, something

Probably sounds stupid but I was just so thankful that my little boy made it. Felt pretty crap looking at him being in an incubator being poked and prodded, so it's only now I'm beginning to see that it never should have happened.

He's had his little battles that he's overcome and now I feel I can address the nightmares and insomnia and complain

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭I Heart Internet

I think you win the thread :eek: That's like something Stephen King would dream up - being able to feel the pain but not being able to move? Mother of all that's holy :(

Yeah, yeah. Please give Ulnar the trophy right now.

I need to lay down and sob quietly after reading that.

I know you didn't have a choice, but fair ****s to you for getting through that ordeal!

• Advertisement

Yeah, yeah. Please give Ulnar the trophy right now.

I need to lay down and sob quietly after reading that.

I know you didn't have a choice, but fair ****s to you for getting through that ordeal!

Cheers it's been a long road, I've only recently started to realise that it wasn't my fault. I felt guilty for such a long time looking at my little one struggling.

Probably sounds stupid but I was just so thankful that my little boy made it. Felt pretty crap looking at him being in an incubator being poked and prodded, so it's only now I'm beginning to see that it never should have happened.

He's had his little battles that he's overcome and now I feel I can address the nightmares and insomnia and complain

Just be aware of the statute of limitations if you do decide to go down that road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭La_Gordy

Playing soccer, got kicked in the sack and had to get three stitches. Unsurprisingly, the scrotum is extra sensitive when getting three stitches in it.

Luckily the twins are in full working order! BTW in case you are interested one was peeping out of the tear and yes it was the same colour purple as Barnie!

Jaysis.

Just be aware of the statute of limitations if you do decide to go down that road.

Cheers, unfortunately for the hospital we're well under the time limit so I've been told

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,891 ✭✭✭Zardoz

Toothache in about 5 teeth in all four quadrants of the mouth at the same time .
    Absolute nightmare I wouldnt wish on my worst enemy ,there was many a long dark night when I thought about jumping in front of a bus .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Hotfail.com

sounds like an abcess, I had one a few years ago, don't think anything has even come close to being as bad.

Oh yay, I've been told by my dentist that I may get one in the near future.

Sounds liked fun :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭Samsgirl

Surprisingly the surgeon never 8came to see me after the delivery

Similar but no where near as bad. Despite me telling the medical team I could feel contractions & the epidural had worn off they still made a c section incision. Will never forget the searing pain. Luckily the anesthesiologist listened and knocked me out.

It must.have been horiffic for you. Thankfully you have your little baby safe & well.

Samsgirl wrote: »
    Similar but no where near as bad. Despite me telling the medical team I could feel contractions & the epidural had worn off they still made a c section incision. Will never forget the searing pain. Luckily the anesthesiologist listened and knocked me out.

It must.have been horiffic for you. Thankfully you have your little baby safe & well.[/quote

I don't think you ever forget the first incision :-(
    Glad they saw sense and listened to you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,655 ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

Considering I've had a lifetime of broken bones, spewing arteries and the like, it's hard to pick one. But one that does stand out the following:

Back in 2008 I was in China, Sichuan province to be precise, when a major earthquake (8.0) hit northwest of where I was - the kind that leveled entire villages and sections of towns, damaged and destroyed factories, and generally killed lots of people. I ended up doing rescue work in the aftermath for a bit. Somewhat understandably I needed a break from it all afterwards, so I ended up heading down towards Laos (it was also the time that the whole Tibet issue was kicking off again, so was a good time to get away anyways).

Laos was beautiful, and spent a well deserved day kayaking and swimming down a beautiful river gorge. Unfortunately what I didn't realise at the time was that the river in question was taking runoff from China, including god-knows-what chemicals that were leaking out of damaged and destroyed factories. And I was steeping myself in this stew without knowing it.

About two days later my skin started to melt. Quite literally. My face, shoulders thankfully remained pretty much unscathed, but any part of me that had prolonged exposure to whatever was in the water was affected, and reacted with extreme prejudice. It started out looking like extreme sunburn, then blistered up and started swelling to the point where my fingers all but disappeared. All in a country with very limited medical services. Overall, I reckon a good 60-70% of my body was affected, and it felt like someone had set me on fire - at the height of it I ended up breaking two fingers punching a wall one night trying to distract from the pain. Thankfully, and with my eternal gratitude, an elderly couple there managed to get me medical help, and came with me (on their 50cc scooter) to hospital to help with translating. Cue another week of skin falling off me like chunks off a wet cake (imagine the worst sunburn of your life, all in one dose) before new skin started growing in and swelling going down again. Took nearly two years for my legs and arms to look normal again, without tide-marks where my sorts and t-shirt ended that day, and there's still a lot of orange-peel and scarring if you know where to look.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Sticky this post, lest anyone ever starts a similar topic again, or adds a new post here!

razorblunt wrote: »
    Sticky this post, lest anyone ever starts a similar topic again, or adds a new post here!

I'm a thread killer :-(

I promise not to post anymore

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

caff wrote: »
    Half cooked kidney beans, felt like my stomach was going to explode. Lasted about 5 hours....

Uncooked kidney beans are poisonous!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭gugleguy

white spirit soaked into my face by myself to remove paint which had come from a tin of paint which I thought was sealed shut when it was not..:(:(:(:(:(. 24 hours pain.

tootache first though. got that fooking tooth removed asap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭Deise Vu

Playing on goal against a team from the mountains years ago. A long ball came in towards the box with a semi-human orang-utan-like creature in pursuit from about a 45 degree angle to the ball which was coming straight for me. I sprinted from my goal line knowing I would just beat him to it. He didn't give up and arrived a split second after I kicked the ball away. I was in full flight, he was in full flight and my kicking leg was following through when his kneecap smashed into the side of knee right on the nerve. I did a near 360 pirouette with the force of the bang and when I hit the ground all I could think of was how far were we from hospital and does an ambulance have morphine?

Two arthroscopies later and grade 3 arthritis in my knee joint I get regular reminders of the pain. I will never forgive that stupid cretin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,123 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Im having all 4 wisdom teeth surgically removed next week I can already feel how much its going to hurt.

• Advertisement

When your calf muscles cramp up in the middle of the night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭Corvo

I remember going to Dublin to get a procedure done on my eye about two years ago.

Basically this is what happened.

- Placed me comfortable bed/chair
    - Played some nice relaxing music and asks me about my favourite sport etc.
    - Places anaesthetic into said eye
    - Places contraption around head which pops eye out a few inches and reassures me "it will feel like your blinking, but you aren't as your eyelids are behind the cornea
    - Takes scalpel and cuts down middle of cornea (all while I "watch") and begins a windscreen wiper motion from side to side after he cuts deep enough. This starts to remove layers from my eye. Places funnel over now "naked" eye and pours this disgusting fluid onto it for about 15 mins.

Well the pain I felt when the anaesthetic wore off was fooking biblical. And it wore off quickly, I can tell you. I literally screamed all the way home in the car.

Oh, and while the contraption was on my head pulling my eyeball out? He made me walk to the other room. If the Germans had known of such things in the war we would all be eating bratwurst, I shyte you not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Have a hernia at the mo. When it came out at first, it was horrible. Couldn't sleep on my stomach as it felt like something was ripping through the walls on the inside. If you remember the Simpsons episode where Bart ate the metal yoke, it's what I imagine that pain would be like.

Thankfully, the doctor gave me some painkillers and it's got better but that first intense flash of pain was horrible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

When I was young I got badly burnt for my knee to my ankle ,Still remember the pain.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

When my friend took a chuck out of the center of my eye by accident with her nail.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

Went to hospital and when they asked if I wanted pain killers after the operation I said no. When I came round I quickly changed my mind. Searing full body pain not cool not cool at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Nib wrote: »
    Anyone suffer from migraines?

My best mate does. I remember him driving us to a football match one day and he turns to me a says he's pulling over. He stopped the car, let back his seat and told me to give him around 20 minutes. He lay there in agony. I felt so helpless, he told me there was nothing I could do. Genuinely felt bad for him. He gets them on average once a week. Poor fecker.

Yep... my worst agony in recent times was the migraine I had from fasting for surgery for a shattered wrist this year. Made worse by the inane young drs who offered me 2 paracetamol by mouth when I was throwing up even water... Like your skull is being scraped out... a kind nurse managed to get morphine for me and the bliss of the waves of it taking the pain away for a few hours. With me they last days and I have ended up in hospital because of the vomiting.

Broken bones were easy compared to that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

When my friend took a chuck out of the center of my eye by accident with her nail.

How the hell did that happen?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭rannerap

ryanf1 wrote: »
    Im having all 4 wisdom teeth surgically removed next week I can already feel how much its going to hurt.

I had that done last Christmas. Wasn't that bad. I'd rather go through that ten times over than some of the other things I've had done

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

When your calf muscles cramp up in the middle of the night.

I think we have have found the winner of this thread.
    Just be thankful you never had a paper cut or a hanging nail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭lakesider

I had a horrible accident when a gallon tin of petrol of petrol caught fire in my hands..I suffered serious burns to my hands arms face and stomach..I was rushed to letterkenny general hospital and after recieving serious doses of morphine thought I was over the worst..however I was sent by ambulance 2 days later to the burns unit in st james in dublin whereby a doctor proceeded to cut the skin from my hands and arm with a pair of surgical scissors whilst I was quite lucid and drug free!!...tbh ..I was in my late 40s at the time but cried like a wean!!..the pain was unreal..

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Ahhhhh its grand

Fractured and dislocated jaw from a clash of heads playing football. When I got to the hospital the doctor put it back in but only gave me a little morphine beforehand. Well, I actually momentarily blacked out for from the pain. Horrendous!!! Whats even worse is that my jaw will basically never be the same again :(

I had that done last Christmas. Wasn't that bad. I'd rather go through that ten times over than some of the other things I've had done

Were you under GA? My pain threshold isn't very high, having a blood test is about as much as I can handle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

Kerry winning the all Ireland, its a knife into my gut twisted clockwise once then counter clockwise twice and I have to grin bear it without killing the 50 happy gits in my family.

Even Corkmen feel pain

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

Frank & beans caught in the fly of a pair of Wrangler jeans as a young lad.
    Heavy duty zips in Wranglers back then :eek:

• Advertisement

Mesrine65 wrote: »
    Frank & beans caught in the fly of a pair of Wrangler jeans as a young lad.
    Heavy duty zips in Wranglers back then :eek:

Im sure that sort of pain would induce unconsciousness:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

I think the worst I've experienced was having an ENT surgeon scrape out my ear after a dressing change.

I had ear surgery to fix a large hole in my ear drum. That involved doing a canalplasty (basically drilling the ear canal) to get better access to the ear drum.

Anyway, for some reason the dressing changes were absolutely agonising. I had to get a general anaesthetic for the rest of them.

I couldn't even attempt to describe the pain. It was so bad that I actually vomited afterwards, went freezing cold and couldn't stop shaking. Just kind of seemed to go into shock or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭stop animal cruelty

Defo heartbreak for me :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭chewed

Corneal Ulcer

Absolute agony. It felt like someone sticking a needle directly into the cornea. I got it when I was 17, a week after my summer holidays started and had to sit in the house in darkness with an eye patch and all the blinds closed for 1 month. The worst thing was the weather was great!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭EazyD

Huge needle (anaesthetic) into the big toe was a memorable one. Probably not the worst outright but worst I can remember.

• Advertisement
Advertisement