Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I will pay €1000 for an Eircom line engineer who can fix my phone line

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭same ol sh1te

Blah, blah, blah

Sorry but it is you that missed the original point which was to share the neighbours connection through ethernet, not extend the phone line which is a ridiculous suggestion. It's vDsl, the shorter the copper the better, extending the main point to an adjoining house would have drastic effects on speed. Just give up, you have already proven you know little about the situation

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭NGC999888

Your line could be on a carrier line, as I understand it Eircom won't ever inform you of this if it is the case but will string you along until you die of old age. However, they must inform you if you ask.

What I would do if I were you is, you do risk taking a hit on whatever the installation fee is for no gain.:
    1. Order a new Eircom line
    2. Get the salesman to ensure you that your new line will come directly from the exchange - Record the call.
    3. Switch over the phone numbers.
    4. Get this new line tested for broadband.
      5. Cancel the original line (with the new unwanted phone number)
    Failing that uswitch.ie/broadband/compare/satellite-broadband

I already tried ordering the new line etc and it didnt work.
    There isnt even a new line coming from the pole to the house yet there are two phones on it. They used the same sh!t line. And as much as i protested would have none of it.

I have 1Meg broadband from Eircom at the moment. So its fibre i need.
    I can remotely so need fibre type speeds and no caps.
    Only fixed line is going to do it for me tbh.
    Otherwise i might as well just keep commuting.

Hopefully i'll get a PM from an engineer. And as its the nature of this type of transaction, i wont be able to tell anyone what happened next, which is a pity.

You probably tried this, but have you complained to ComReg? they can be helpful sometimes

I have. Several times. Might as well be complaining to the cat sitting outside the window.
    I dont know what the point of ComReg is at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭gutteruu

Your only concern with using a neighbours is you have no access if a router needs rebooting etc. Why not connect to 2 neighbours, even 3. I got 2 second hand wifi transmitters for 50 quid and have my sisters house running full speed on it also a few hundred metres away for 1 year solid. If you halved the cost of both neighbours it works out the same as what you would pay for your own anyway. You have twice the bandwidth, twice the reliability. I can't see how you have any other choice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

Might be a silly suggestion...But what about ordering a third line? Isn't there a cooling off period once installed?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭GAAman

NGC999888 wrote: »
    I never see anyone at that cabinet. I have seen someone at it once in the last year and a half i think.

Hmmm if eircon got a call to say the cabinet "appears to have been damaged" somehow surely they would send out an engineer and you could have a chat with them while they happened to be there....

Wink wink, nudge nudge, cough cough, money in an envelope etc

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

You might have to just accept that you are stuck with sh1t internet for now.

I feel your pain, I am in a similar situation with Eircom and stuck on a 1Mb download but there is nothing I can do.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

Did you check if there is a problem in the house wiring. What happens your phone line in the house. Do you just have the Eircom socket with a phone plugged into it, or is it connected to wiring in the house.

I would just plug the phone into thd phone socket and get the house wiring disconnected. This should eliminate your house wiring.

I would imagine that Eircom poll the lines and check them occasionally and it might be enough to get your line over the test.

Something you can do yourself is make sure your phone line isn't split before the main socket, that the line coming in goes directly to this main socket and that it is wired up correctly with feed for the the rest of your house coming from the line out at the back. Plug your modem into the data port on this socket with a normal 1m cable, no longer

Might be a silly suggestion...But what about ordering a third line? Isn't there a cooling off period once installed?

Twice bitten :)

• Advertisement

dingding wrote: »
    Did you check if there is a problem in the house wiring. What happens your phone line in the house. Do you just have the Eircom socket with a phone plugged into it, or is it connected to wiring in the house.

I would just plug the phone into thd phone socket and get the house wiring disconnected. This should eliminate your house wiring.

I would imagine that Eircom poll the lines and check them occasionally and it might be enough to get your line over the test.

Line comes into the house and phone and router are connected to it at the box right where it enters the house. I dont even use the phone.

I want to try to get this sorted on my account. Neighbours arent an option for all sorts of reasons. Like some are old, others would be suspicious, what if one of them moved, back to square one.

Much better if i can just get my own line sorted out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭Technofobe

There isnt even a new line coming from the pole to the house yet there are two phones on it. They used the same sh!t line. And as much as i protested would have none of it

When you say 2 lines on it are you talking about a single 2 pair poly from the pole in to your house terminated in a little brown box inside which there is 2 pairs of wires 1 line on each ( 1 line on white & orange pair ) ( 1 line on white and green pair )
    Or do you have an ISDN line with 2 numbers terminated on NTU box with 2 lights on it power + network

Or are you really out in the sticks with a multiplexer a long box with a removable plate on the bottom used for splitting lines
    havent seen one in years but used to be common out in the countryside

Technofobe wrote: »
    When you say 2 lines on it are you talking about a single 2 pair poly from the pole in to your house terminated in a little brown box inside which there is 2 pairs of wires 1 line on each ( 1 line on white & orange pair ) ( 1 line on white and green pair )
    Or do you have an ISDN line with 2 numbers terminated on NTU box with 2 lights on it power + network

Or are you really out in the sticks with a multiplexer a long box with a removable plate on the bottom used for splitting lines
    havent seen one in years but used to be common out in the countryside

There is one line from the pole to the house.
    I thinm there might be four tiny wires inside it.The one line goes to the phone point and both boxes are at the end of it. Both installed by Eircom. One through vodafone. And installed with the request for eFibre.

I must have a look to see are there boxes on the pole when i go home. As far as i remember there are two white square boxes on that pole. Lines going everywhere out of the pole. I dont even know which one is coming into it or out.

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭bmm

I also wasted many hours discussing my phone line with Eircom, who are back in the 1960s when it comes to service levels !

Have you investigated Satellite broadband ? Expensive but might be an option.

There is one line from the pole to the house.
    I thinm there might be four tiny wires inside it.The one line goes to the phone point and both boxes are at the end of it. Both installed by Eircom. One through vodafone. And installed with the request for eFibre.

I must have a look to see are there boxes on the pole when i go home. As far as i remember there are two white square boxes on that pole. Lines going everywhere out of the pole. I dont even know which one is coming into it or out.
    sounds like a 2 pair poly cable from the pole to your house
    standard stuff
    the boxes on the pole are termination boxes where each individual poly cable from the house is terminated onto a 50 or 100 pair cable that goes back to the cabinet
    if you got the vodafone line specifacly for efibre and it does not work then cancel it as not fit for purpose
    go to the meteor shop and see if there is a try before you buy option and see what the coverage is like on the dongle
    I had meteor in wicklow and was getting 3mb for € 15 per month
    connected it to a 3g router and had wifi all over the house
    Main reason for getting rid was kids and robolox horsing into the bandwidth

bmm wrote: »

Have you investigated Satellite broadband ? Expensive but might be an option.

Satellite is not broadband, it should be the absolute last gasp option when all other avenues have been investigated. The Dsl he already has is miles better and is real broadband

Satellite is not broadband, it should be the absolute last gasp option when all other avenues have been investigated. The Dsl he already has is miles better and is real broadband

I would also agree with this

But what about wireless
    wimax or irish broadband not as expensive as sat if you dont need the phone

• Registered Users Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭godskitchen

It sounds like you have ruled out asking neighbours for help.

In which case you won't have decent broadband for the foreseeable future.

Getting an engineer out will not help, he might be able to run fibre all the way to your front door but as long as eircoms database says you can't get it, you won't get it.

Best of luck with it.

sounds like a 2 pair poly cable from the pole to your house
    standard stuff
    the boxes on the pole are termination boxes where each individual poly cable from the house is terminated onto a 50 or 100 pair cable that goes back to the cabinet
    if you got the vodafone line specifacly for efibre and it does not work then cancel it as not fit for purpose
    go to the meteor shop and see if there is a try before you buy option and see what the coverage is like on the dongle
    I had meteor in wicklow and was getting 3mb for € 15 per month
    connected it to a 3g router and had wifi all over the house
    Main reason for getting rid was kids and robolox horsing into the bandwidth

I told Vodafone this many times but they keep sending me bills and texts and the amount owed goes up.
    I just ignore them now. There are only so many replies you can make to them.

Id need at least 200Gigs a month. Mobile wont cut it for that.

It sounds like you have ruled out asking neighbours for help.

In which case you won't have decent broadband for the foreseeable future.

Getting an engineer out will not help, he might be able to run fibre all the way to your front door but as long as eircoms database says you can't get it, you won't get it.

Best of luck with it.

He can check the whole setup from the cab to the exchange and to my house and fix any fault. And can also advise on what way it is set up. Waste of time asking Eircom these questions.

Then it should be only a matter of getting Eircom to test the line again, which surely he would have contacts for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭TheBody

Did you try talking to one of the reps on the eircom forum?

http://www.boards.ie/ttforum/1293

It's worth a try. It's not like it would cost you anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

testicle wrote: »
    Move house.

Ask a neighbour to swap.

I would also agree with this

But what about wireless
    wimax or irish broadband not as expensive as sat if you dont need the phone

Data caps are the problem with all other providers in the area.
    That and Ripplecom used to be Ice Broadband and i had Ice Broadband before. Worst company in history.

I wait in hope for a PM from an Eircom engineer.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,936 ✭✭✭long_b

TheBody wrote: »
    Did you try talking to one of the reps on the eircom forum?

http://www.boards.ie/ttforum/1293

It's worth a try. It's not like it would cost you anything.

I've found the Eircom reps here very helpful.
    Didn't end well because of where I live but Alan got me some answers which helped.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

There are a few scenarios, OP you need to determine which one it is, we cant without your personal info.

A. House direct fed, bypassing all cabinets
    B. House connected through a cab pair that isnt live YET
    C. House connected through a cab that isnt currently planned for fibre at all
    D. Short on the drop causing prequals to fail.

If you can grab a local eircom tech(not a contractor), he'll be able to tell you where your pair is jointed in, if at all. Then you can use fibrerollout.ie to determine what cab you should or should not be through.

If in fact it turns out you are connected through the same cab as your neighbours then there is a small chance a fault on your line is causing the prequals(tests that rate the lines, the results of which sales use) to fail for you. If you get vodafones phone faults to test it they should see any faults present.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭sparky63

How far is the cabinet from your house?
    Are you sure your neighbours have efibre?
    How far away is the neighbour with efibre?

A lot of rural swords is direct fed. Swords has some estates built out in rural areas, these estates have cabinets but the surrounding rural houses are not connected to these cabinets.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

Similar in Sligo. There are roads with a mix of older and newer houses, the older houses cant get efibre as they are probably wired back to the original exchange. While the newer houses are wired back to the newer exchange via cabinets. If you know the original phone number you should be able to figure out the exchange and your neighbours exchange.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,582 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

MOD: Moved to the Eircom forum so they can help.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 795 ✭✭✭eircom: Tracey

Desperate measures.

Im in need of an Eircom line engineer to check my phone line since all the other houses on my road can get eFibre apart from me.
    Eircom will not send out an engineer to check whats wrong for me, so basically just tell me i cant get eFibre.

I have offered to pay for an engineer and they wont even let me do that.

So im posting here looking for an Eircom line engineer who can do this for me and am willing to pay him €1000 to fix my line so that I can get eFiber.  Since the neighbours have it and im within 750 meters of a cabinet I think thats fair.

I offered this money to Eircom but they dont want it.

Please PM me if you can help.
    Hi NGG999888, 

Would you like to PM me your details and I'll look into this for you.  

Thanks 

Tracey 

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement