Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I will pay €1000 for an Eircom line engineer who can fix my phone line

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Discussed here many times before. Needs to be done in fibre, using copper is a major fire hazard. You should never join the electrical circuits of two houses with different earths, you could be doubling the voltage if anything went wrong.

He's talking about running a telephone cable NOT a main voltage cable. There is no fire hazard with telephone cables.

NGC999888 wrote: »
    Dont know what it is tbh. My money is on the line though. Its been cut many times by tractor hedge cutters on the road and they just patch it back together when they fix it.. They dont replace it. But if the engineer comes out and i get fibre within the month after he comes out, then hes €1200 richer in total.

Might have a go myself :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭Technofobe

Desperate measures.

Im in need of an Eircom line engineer to check my phone line since all the other houses on my road can get eFibre apart from me.
    Eircom will not send out an engineer to check whats wrong for me, so basically just tell me i cant get eFibre.

I have offered to pay for an engineer and they wont even let me do that.

So im posting here looking for an Eircom line engineer who can do this for me and am willing to pay him €1000 to fix my line so that I can get eFiber. Since the neighbours have it and im within 750 meters of a cabinet I think thats fair.

I offered this money to Eircom but they dont want it.

Please PM me if you can help.

To be honest I dont think you are desprate enough :-)
    Eircom are not likley to do nixers on the line for risk of loosing their job in todays poor economic climate
    But isint it just terrible the way trucks and diggers keep catching the lines and pulling them down
    then eircom would have to come out and replace them espically if the cable was stuck to the back of said vechicle and the old faulty cable was ripped right off just where you can see it in tatters

Might be a bit unorthodox may even be wreckless but as you have tried the legit route and it has not gotten you anywhere

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭NGC999888

Might have a go myself :)

Looking for an Eircom engineer for a few reasons.

He can prove to me that he knows his stuff.
    He has access to all the equipment and info he needs.
    He has access to the cab and can check the quality of the line all the way back to the cab and do whatever he needs to there.
    He would be well used to dealing with this sort of issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭same ol sh1te

He's talking about running a telephone cable NOT a main voltage cable. There is no fire hazard with telephone cables.

You know all about it then do you?

There have been several threads about this already, you are connecting two electrical devices in different houses with different earths. Sky won't connect boxes from adjacent houses to the same dish for the same reason. Apartments with communal dishes are different and have bonded earths. You cannot join two houses without proper planning, besides that any insurance company would walk away from a claim, are you willing to take that risk?

• Advertisement

Technofobe wrote: »
    To be honest I dont think you are desprate enough :-)
    Eircom are not likley to do nixers on the line for risk of loosing their job in todays poor economic climate
    But isint it just terrible the way trucks and diggers keep catching the lines and pulling them down
    then eircom would have to come out and replace them espically if the cable was stuck to the back of said vechicle and the old faulty cable was ripped right off just where you can see it in tatters

Might be a bit unorthodox may even be wreckless but as you have tried the legit route and it has not gotten you anywhere

Thought of that too, but to make sure, said truck would need to take about 700 meters of line with it :) Leaving everyone else in the area with no phones. Its a rural area on the Swords exchange. And I can follow it back to the second pole, but after that i cant tell whats going on with all the wires on poles

• Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

Yes there is. You don't know what you're talking about.

You are joining 2 isolated circuits. Any voltage difference between the 2 circuits is dropped over the cable joining the two houses. It's a monumentally stupid thing to suggest.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

Other providers have to go through Eircom. Eircoms monopoly is the bottleneck here. .

Don't forget about a year's delay instigated by court action taken to stop Eircom before competitors were ready to compete. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Thought of that too, but to make sure, said truck would need to take about 700 meters of line with it :) Leaving everyone else in the area with no phones. Its a rural area on the Swords exchange.
    Ah ok. I thought you were in an estate. How much longer is your line than your nearest neighbour who can get VDSL? Are you sure it doesn't take a detour? Is it possibly a pair gain line?

There have been several threads about this already, you are connecting two electrical devices in different houses with different earths. Sky won't connect boxes from adjacent houses to the same dish for the same reason. Apartments with communal dishes are different and have bonded earths. You cannot join two houses without proper planning, besides that any insurance company would walk away from a claim, are you willing to take that risk?

You do know that phone lines aren't powered from the house, don't you?

• Advertisement

murphaph wrote: »
    Ah ok. I thought you were in an estate. How much longer is your line than your nearest neighbour who can get VDSL? Are you sure it doesn't take a detour? Is it possibly a pair gain line?

It could be anything tbh. Line comes off the same pole to myself and the nearest two neighbours and is roughly the same length to each house. One had fibre, the other can get it on the online checker. Mine just says eFibre is in my area but not at my house.

Yes, I'm a network engineer. Now give up with your stupid nonsense about something you know nothing about.

Thought of that too, but to make sure, said truck would need to take about 700 meters of line with it :) Leaving everyone else in the area with no phones. Its a rural area on the Swords exchange. And I can follow it back to the second pole, but after that i cant tell whats going on with all the wires on poles
    Ah ok I misread I thought you could see the part that was in tatters

stimpson wrote: »

You are joining 2 isolated circuits. Any voltage difference between the 2 circuits is dropped over the cable joining the two houses. It's a monumentally stupid thing to suggest.

The suggestion (not mine) was to run a cable to his neighbours house and use their enabled line so he could get fiber. There is no suggesting joining two circuits together.

The suggestion (not mine) was to run a cable to his neighbours house and use their enabled line so he could get fiber. There is no suggesting joining two circuits together.

You cannot do that, only eircom can. Install of eircom NGA requires a home visit to setup

Ah ok I misread I thought you could see the part that was in tatters

I can, up to the second pole. But chances are thats not the only part thats a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭jamiemc

My dad had a similar problem, as our house is away from the main road much more than the other houses, and the lines were put in the 80's when he installed the line.

He rang up eircom and told them he wanted to change provider if they didn't sort it out, and they came and ran a new wire up from the road to the house (approx 100m). He had to sign up to an 18 month contract (his was just the rolling month to month for a long time), but it helped get the speeds from 4mb to ~30mb now. As soon as he's out of the contract, he's going to switch provider.

I'm not sure if you've tried this, but it is possible. If you're not happy with who you're getting on the phone, complain to comreg, and eircom usually get their act together.

Eircom really are a nightmare to call and discuss this.
    I have given up on them.

Well hopefully ill get a PM from a suitably qualified engineer who can help out.

I just checked the next door neighbours number who used to come up as firbe enabled on the checker.
    "Now it says, we have no info on his number, if you are a UPC customer please use your address".

Addresses aof each house out here are totally different too as its rural. No too house beside each other have the same address.
    Eircom has made a mess of the address database too.

So has the neighbour moved his phone line to UPC i wonder. There is no UPC wired service out here. Unless he has gone to UPC through Eircom.

This is a mess

• Registered Users Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭godskitchen

I can, up to the second pole. But chances are thats not the only part thats a problem.

Your only real option is to link to a neighbour, either by cat 5 or wireless. I have a cat5 cable linked to my uncle's house for years, absolutely no problem what so ever.

If you think your house will blow up killing everyone within 2 miles because of cat5 then use wireless. Decent Ubiquiti gear is capable of doing more than efibre for less than €200 for the equipment.

I just linked a customers home to their business, they could not get efibre in the home which is 600 meters away from the business. It's a perfect connection and only adds 1 or 2 ms to the ping and is the same speed as where the efibre is.

If you want a decent connection these are your options.

jamiemc wrote: »
    My dad had a similar problem, as our house is away from the main road much more than the other houses, and the lines were put in the 80's when he installed the line.

He rang up eircom and told them he wanted to change provider if they didn't sort it out, and they came and ran a new wire up from the road to the house (approx 100m). He had to sign up to an 18 month contract (his was just the rolling month to month for a long time), but it helped get the speeds from 4mb to ~30mb now. As soon as he's out of the contract, he's going to switch provider.

I'm not sure if you've tried this, but it is possible. If you're not happy with who you're getting on the phone, complain to comreg, and eircom usually get their act together.

I tried that and all I for myself was an extra 18 month contract with another provider for a phone i dont use that cant get eFibre either. I have two phone lines coming out of one line is all i got.

• Advertisement

Ah i thought it may be somethinh more obvious
    as a Telecoms Engineer for a private company i would often see cabling in tatters from branches of trees rubbing and such
    not so much of an issue now days with lots of gear underground in ducting
    There is no guarentee that you pair goes straight to that frame as there would often be a limited ammount of cable from pole to pole and it may have taken the senic route back to same cabinet or exchange

Have you tried asking to speak to someone higher up the ladder and explain your situation as often the folks on the service desk dont look any further than the screen in front of them and if the pc does not suggest an answer then its just way to easy to just let it slide

If I were you i would go to the local exchange and nab someone going in and ask for a name of someone you could mail or ring in eircom to see what can be done to resolve the situation
    Generally I have found eircom to be very good at sorting something once there is a name or a face to it

Your only real option is to link to a neighbour, either by cat 5 or wireless. I have a cat5 cable linked to my uncle's house for years, absolutely no problem what so ever.

If you think your house will blow up killing everyone within 2 miles because of cat5 then use wireless. Decent Ubiquiti gear is capable of doing more than efibre for less than €200 for the equipment.

I just linked a customers home to their business, they could not get efibre in the home which is 600 meters away from the business. It's a perfect connection and only adds 1 or 2 ms to the ping and is the same speed as where the efibre is.

If you want a decent connection these are your options.

The problem is that I dont know the neighbours that well and wouldnt want to be asking them can i take over their phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

No eircom engineer is going to risk his job for this but you might just find a kind one who will come take a look for free.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭godskitchen

The problem is that I dont know the neighbours that well and wouldnt want to be asking them can i take over their phone.

You woul be surprised how helpful people can be. Most fwa providers just go knocking on doors with a small bit of charm asking if they can use the house as s relay point.

What part of the country are you in?
    As for worrying about having to reboot routers ect, with decent equipment this is not the norm anymore.

Ah i thought it may be somethinh more obvious
    as a Telecoms Engineer for a private company i would often see cabling in tatters from branches of trees rubbing and such
    not so much of an issue now days with lots of gear underground in ducting
    There is no guarentee that you pair goes straight to that frame as there would often be a limited ammount of cable from pole to pole and it may have taken the senic route back to same cabinet or exchange

Have you tried asking to speak to someone higher up the ladder and explain your situation as often the folks on the service desk dont look any further than the screen in front of them and if the pc does not suggest an answer then its just way to easy to just let it slide

If I were you i would go to the local exchange and nab someone going in and ask for a name of someone you could mail or ring in eircom to see what can be done to resolve the situation
    Generally I have found eircom to be very good at sorting something once there is a name or a face to it

Thanks.

I have spoken many times to people higher up the chain, but i suspect they are just some other clown sitting next to the one i was already on the phone to and they are no help at all.

I think i'll wait and see if an Eircom engineer takes up my offer with a PM. If that doesnt work i'll follow your advice and try tracking one down at the exchange.

murphaph wrote: »
    No eircom engineer is going to risk his job for this but you might just find a kind one who will come take a look for free.

Well that would be great if one would look for free at it. And if he sorts it out he might find €1000 just sitting on the seat of his car when he leaves after a cup of tea.

This was the first post referring to sharing with a neighbour.
    jspuds wrote: »
    What about sharing the efibre cost with a neighbour and run a cable from them into your house?

You replied with....
    Discussed here many times before. Needs to be done in fibre, using copper is a major fire hazard. You should never join the electrical circuits of two houses with different earths, you could be doubling the voltage if anything went wrong.

I replied with...

Then you very eloquently put it.

stimpson wrote: »

You missed the point.

Yes, I'm a network engineer. Now give up with your stupid nonsense about something you know nothing about.

:)

You cannot do that, only eircom can. Install of eircom NGA requires a home visit to setup

I think you missed the original point.

jspuds suggested "What about sharing the efibre cost with a neighbour and run a cable from them into your house?"

This wasn't meant to be done in a totally legit way :)

• Site Banned Posts: 8,331 ✭✭✭Brown Bomber

Your line could be on a carrier line, as I understand it Eircom won't ever inform you of this if it is the case but will string you along until you die of old age. However, they must inform you if you ask.

What I would do if I were you is, you do risk taking a hit on whatever the installation fee is for no gain.:
    1. Order a new Eircom line
    2. Get the salesman to ensure you that your new line will come directly from the exchange - Record the call.
    3. Switch over the phone numbers.
    4. Get this new line tested for broadband.
      5. Cancel the original line (with the new unwanted phone number)
    Failing that http://www.uswitch.ie/broadband/compare/satellite-broadband/

This was the first post referring to sharing with a neighbour.

You replied with....

I replied with...

Then you very eloquently put it.

You missed the point.

:)

I think you missed the original point.

jspuds suggested "What about sharing the efibre cost with a neighbour and run a cable from them into your house?"

This wasn't meant to be done in a totally legit way :)

Cant imagine anyone sharing their internet connection with a stranger
    as if your neighbour was looking at something he should not be
    or tryin to hack into somewhere its your door the cops will kick in not his
    For that reason alone I know I would not share my new fibre connection
    it is good and its worth chasing up

This it with me and the kids all on at same time

3724236940.png

Sorry that was probably a bit mean to post the speedtest :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭SomeUnusedName

You probably tried this, but have you complained to ComReg? they can be helpful sometimes

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement