Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Worrying revelation about Boards

Options

Comments

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,294 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Oh I see, but if you really really really really really wanted to be one there was no way you could ask?

You could ask, but you really, really, really, really, really wouldn't be offered a modship if you did.
    Is it true they gossip about posters and scheme to get them banned

Just you :pac:

• Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

Toots wrote: »
    Basically it entails being grabbed from the street, being blindfolded and thrown into the back of a van, driven to an abandoned warehouse and then held against your will until you agree to become a mod, but words like abduction and coercion are such ugly words. The media relations people at boards HQ prefer us to use words like 'approach' 'voluntary' and the like.

Oh and 'ban' instead of 'aggravated assault'.

I think you might have inadvertently joined the 'RA....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Davarus Walrus

A friend of mine used to deliver food to the moderators training school so i'll be ok.

That's a lot of food. Must be a forklift driver as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,366 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Basically it entails being grabbed from the street, being blindfolded and thrown into the back of a van, driven to an abandoned warehouse and then held against your will until you agree to become a mod, but words like abduction and coercion are such ugly words. The media relations people at boards HQ prefer us to use words like 'approach' 'voluntary' and the like.

Why does that not surprise me , when I see what you moderate.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

Oh I see, but if you really really really really really wanted to be one there was no way you could ask?

There is indeed.

http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2055103592

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

If I remember correctly if a mod gets personally involved in a thread then they 'relinquish' mod duties in that thread to a co mod.

They do, I used be a mod here, and gave it up as I simply didn't have the time to devote to it.

Being a mod on a forum often means being asked as you have an interest and have shown it, but then you have to oversee rather than participate.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,417 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Zaph wrote: »
    You could ask, but you really, really, really, really, really wouldn't be offered a modship if you did.

Can I be a Mod?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Macavity.

Would hate to be a mod tbh. Only good thing is the bold username.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭The Peanut

All good experience then for modding the Marriage, Weddings and Civil Whatsit forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,178 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

There's no end to the fcukers. Whoopsadaisydoodles had me killed and re-built as a hideous, emotionless man-machine, all 'cos she likes to play Star Wars.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,913 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Why does that not surprise me , when I see what you moderate.
    The Peanut wrote: »
    All good experience then for modding the Marriage, Weddings and Civil Whatsit forum.

Oh for the training they dump you up in the Wicklow mountains in the dead of winter with a tin of spam and a box of matches. Then they steal your shoes. If you get back to Stephen's Green luas stop within three days, you pass your mod test. If not, well you're probably dead anyway so it's no biggie.
    mike_ie wrote: »
    I think you might have inadvertently joined the 'RA....

Much easier to get in there, just send them a PM and you're sorted.....wait a second.......

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭Damien360

Stheno wrote: »
    They do, I used be a mod here, and gave it up as I simply didn't have the time to devote to it.

Being a mod on a forum often means being asked as you have an interest and have shown it, but then you have to oversee rather than participate.

Hmmmm. I can think of a few mods who peddle their own opinion and god forbid you do not agree. Your posts get deleted and a non descript slap is in its place with no explanation as to their reasoning other than it conflicts with theirs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Ihatecuddles

Macavity. wrote: »
    Would hate to be a mod tbh. Only good thing is the bold username.

I was a mod on a dating site, the only good thing was looking at 20 reported messages a day that were just willies :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

internet really is serious business

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭The Th!ng

Is there any truth in the rumour that all the mods are virgins?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,873 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Actively canvassing for a modship is the quickest way to remove yourself from contention.

Aw, man! I remember when 6th was on a quest for modship! Fun times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Snake

Because I have access to all the new mod requests in the admin forum.

How does a mod request come about? I've always wondered..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

Whats even more interesting is what happens to those that 'decline' modship? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭daviecronin

Did that guy get banned for requesting to be a mod or was that my imagination

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,294 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

GrayFox208 wrote: »

Generally when a mod steps down and needs to be replaced, or when the mods of a forum feel they need an extra pair of hands because it has become busier. They'll discuss possible candidates with the CMods and the names of whoever they've decide upon go to the admins for approval or rejection.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭Tail Docker

GrayFox208 wrote: »

Brick through your window and a big chalk X on your front door. Then there's burning cards, mingling of bloody fingers and some long oaths. That's only for the AHs ones though. Don't mind that Zaph lad, sure he wouldn't know atall atall.

An File wrote: »
    Aw, man! I remember when 6th was on a quest for modship! Fun times.

News to me fella File!

If modships are offered surely there must be some discussion about posters?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Damien360 wrote: »
    Hmmmm. I can think of a few mods who peddle their own opinion and god forbid you do not agree. Your posts get deleted and a non descript slap is in its place with no explanation as to their reasoning other than it conflicts with theirs.

If you think a mod is acting a dick, report them or PM another mod, cmod or admin

• Registered Users Posts: 37,297 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

truffle5 wrote: »
    Boards has a private mods forum where mods often discuss users they don’t like and how to set them up and ban them
    Oh look, relatively new user with low post count bitching about how mods ban people. Yeah, totally not suspicious at all.

As for the mod forum, so effing what? There's another 15 or so private forums that you probably don't have access to. Heck, next you'll be saying that "The Illuminati" have a forum here...!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 720 ✭✭✭DrGreenthumb

Seeing as we have a lot of mods in this thread care to elaborate on why you deleted my thread?

Did that guy get banned for requesting to be a mod or was that my imagination

The thread got closed because of trolling. I don't remember any really bannable stuff in that thread though. I presume that he got banned for other issues elsewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Snake

Generally when a mod steps down and needs to be replaced, or when the mods of a forum feel they need an extra pair of hands because it has become busier. They'll discuss possible candidates with the CMods and the names of whoever they've decide upon go to the admins for approval or rejection.

Approval or rejection based on how much or how little said user has acted the dick? So banned once you've no chance or could you redeem yourself by behaving? All these questions and never a proper thread to ask them in!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

Inb4thisisnt4chan

• Advertisement

Seeing as we have a lot of mods in this thread care to elaborate on why you deleted my thread?

Not supposed to talk about bans or something of that nature.

Advertisement