Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Worrying revelation about Boards

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

And you're an ex-mod you say?
    Demodded were you? :p:D

LOL nope stood down, couldn't justify the time I was spending on boards modding (plus got married, had a kid!).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭Tail Docker

Damn, I thought this was going to be an expose of some sort of cunning plot to rule the interwebz..or that they were going broke and people had come for the telly. BORING.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭The Peanut

Do the mods know that the cat mods have a secret forum?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,417 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Yes

To discuss moderation issues like how to use moderation tools, to look for support and queries.

You sound like a hostage being forced to read s script.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,873 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

The Peanut wrote: »
    Do the mods know that the cat mods have a secret forum?

Do the Cat Mods know the Admins have a secret forum?! :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭daviecronin

I'm sure half these mods have a vendetta against me because of my young age and they're jealous ya know

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

mike_ie wrote: »
    * adds truffle5 to "the list".
    Lol

We don't care enough about the minions in our ivory towers.

As if.
    * wanders off to start a thread
    An File wrote: »
    Motion seconded!
    faceman wrote: »
    It's all true OP. There's also a secret mod forum called "Heaven & Hell" where mods decide who goes where in the afterlife.

Drives the A&A mods mad though.
    It was hardly a secret that there was a mods forum in fairness

7 mods have posted in less than 15 mins... Prepare for a site crash

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 29 Roastlamb

I think they have their own forum just about me.

Thread One. "When will this fukcer stop reregging". :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Soft Falling Rain

The only thing the mod forum is guilty of is the same thing every private forum is guilty of. You've been fed false info op. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭conorh91

truffle5 wrote: »
    a bit like how Stalin erased his murdered rivals from photographs and pretended they never existed.
    Yeah that's a fair comparison…:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,737 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

...and they all sit in black leather chairs stroking white cats.

My cat is broken :/

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,913 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

First rule of the mod forum is you do not talk about the mod forum.
    Second rule of the mod forum is YOU DO NOT TALK ABOUT THE MOD FORUM!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭The Purveyor of Truth

In before the cringey sarcasm.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,053 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Toots wrote: »

oh well...

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭Gongoozler

The only thing the mod forum is guilty of is the same thing every private forum is guilty of.

Which is...? I remember there was a thread in feedback not too recently about posters talking about other posters in private forums.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 75 ✭✭truffle5

The only thing the mod forum is guilty of is the same thing every private forum is guilty of. You've been fed false info op.

At least now we know that a private mod forum exists. The lack of transparency is worrying however. Some people can allow their biases to affect their judgement when moderating emotive threads.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,913 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

oh well...

oh crap.....I'm next.....

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

The best part about the mod forum is REDACTED

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

Toots wrote: »

3rd rule: If someone posts "Y**e M@" their Boards life is over
    4th rule: Only two mods to a ban hammer fight
    5th rule: One ban hammer fight at a time
    6th rule: No life, no relationships
    7th rule: Mods will ban as long as they have no life
    8th rule: If this is your first day of modding, you have to ban peasants.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

Worrying revelation about boards... it's not free.

You pay for it using your personal data, browsing history, and god knows what...

Boards have more information on you than the CIA, MI5, Tesco.
    They know you better than your own mother.
    They know what you had for breakfast.
    They saw you knocking one out before you didn't wash your hands and went to the dinner table regardless.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,873 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Fair enough. I never claimed that user CDfm's accusation was true and I even floated the idea that he could be lying. At least now we know that a private mod forum exists. The lack of transparency is worrying however. Some people can allow their biases to affect their judgement when moderating emotive threads.

Lack of transparency? LOL. You obviously missed out on the ACT thing a few years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

At least now we know that a private mod forum exists.

How else would they communicate??? They do have lives outside of Boards.ie you know...or so I've been told :P

• Registered Users Posts: 5,148 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

Chucken wrote: »
    How else would they communicate??? They do have lives outside of Boards.ie you know...or so I've been told :P

You've been told wrong I'm afraid.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,294 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

At least now we know that a private mod forum exists. The lack of transparency is worrying however. Some people can allow their biases to affect their judgement when moderating emotive threads.

As regards lack of transparency, the existence of mod, CMod and admin forums is hardly news to the vast majority of Boards members. It may be to you, but to be fair you only signed up 3 weeks ago. As has already been stated, the forums are used to discuss site issues, share information on various modding tools, decide on new mods, review potential legal issues that could affect the site, and hundreds of other things that a) don't concern the vast majority of people on the site; and b) would probably be of little interest to them anyway. There are also a large number of private non-mod forums on Boards, should we be worried about the lack of transparency from them too?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

you would need to be very naive to think that it is not true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭Shakespeare's Sister

John Mason wrote: »
    you would need to be very naive to think that it is not true.
    Well not the scheming to ban people. People get banned due to their own behaviour, nobody needs to scheme to have them banned.
    But talking about really troublesome users - yeh I'd be surprised if that wasn't the case. Not exactly unreasonable either, IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,268 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

O.p. should be banned for saying 'le'

• Registered Users Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

Macavity. wrote: »
    How do you know?

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 41,053 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Macavity. wrote: »
    How do you know?

Because Zaph is an admin!

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 720 ✭✭✭DrGreenthumb

this has all the ingredients of a classic thread, conspiricy mixed with here say mixed with truth and admission that the area exists,

Advertisement