Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Worrying revelation about Boards

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

There really isn't any big deal about the mod forum, we're quite transparent about what goes on there. Here's a recent screenshot of the forum now, for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

/ moved to conspiracy theories forum

:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

truffle5 wrote: »
    I was browsing “le Reddit” when I came across this comment from a user who claims to be an ex-Boards mod.

Thats your problem right there OP. Whenever i've seen Boards discussed on other site like Reddit or PROC your get a lot of posters who were banned from Boards bitching about the site.

These are usually bitter people who can't follow the cardinal rule of "Don't be a dick" and have a persecution complex when they get banned for acting like a dick. Hence the bitching and making up lies.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,025 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

Gordon wrote: »
    There really isn't any big deal about the mod forum, we're quite transparent about what goes on there. Here's a recent screenshot of the forum now, for example.

Phew.

Good thing the hit list thread had moved to the second page!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Nerds on websites love giving out about other nerds on other websites.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

I see you must be busy on a monday morning

Another conspiracy theory is that admins can change a users name, join date, and post count.

This may or may not hav happened to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

I see you must be busy on a monday morning
    Certainly am, Adminning is busy business, and it's a bank holiday in UK.
    Another conspiracy theory is that admins can change a users name, join date, and post count.

This may or may not hav happened to me.
    All Mods can do this, and they also have the ability to change your browser settings if they do it correctly, and the time on your computer, including making the cooling fan run backwards and exploding the hard drive.

All Mods can do this, and they also have the ability to change your browser settings if they do it correctly, and the time on your computer, including making the cooling fan run backwards and exploding the hard drive.

Oh mods can do it as well? Maybe they just don't know. I must get onto my mod buddies

Yeah, my computer got installed with the boards re reg o meter. If this account gets closed and I reopen one, it blows up.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

Whatever the rest of 'em say about you Gordon,I think you're great. :o In fact I'm thinking of starting a fan page :D

Chucken wrote: »
    Whatever the rest of 'em say about you Gordon,I think you're great. :o In fact I'm thinking of starting a fan page :D

Another fun fact, admins are coded into the site and can't get banned.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

Chucken wrote: »
    ...In fact I'm thinking of starting a fan page :D

Can I join? Or do we all start our own?

catallus wrote: »
    Can I join? Or do we all start our own?

I haven't thought this through properly...gimmie a few hours :P

You think I've nothing better to do than wait around here for you to make a decision? Well, you'd be right! But let's have something concrete before 5pm.

catallus wrote: »
    You think I've nothing better to do than wait around here for you to make a decision? Well, you'd be right! But let's have something concrete before 5pm.

Ok. Done! Now you have to find it :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Macavity.

Fun Fact: Gordon's hometown is Glasgow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Macavity.

He mentioned it in a prison thread before. :pac:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,091 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Typical Dades and his face punching!

Who doesn't water cool their hard drives in this day and age?

Macavity. wrote: »
    Fun Fact: Gordon's hometown is Glasgow.

Through the power of google I found it!

http://www.gordon-glasgow.org/

Chucken, it's very retro. Nicely done.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

gandalf wrote: »
    As an ex-mod who had access to that forum that is complete and utter bull****. If any mod tried to do something like that on boards they would be demodded rapidly.

Conspicuous failure to address the chem trails allegation in this post duly noted.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,911 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

truffle5 wrote: »
    At least now we know that a private mod forum exists. The lack of transparency is worrying however. Some people can allow their biases to affect their judgement when moderating emotive threads.

Im pretty sure anyone with the slightest bit of common sense knew or assumed a private forum for mods existed.

Heres something that might blow your conspiracy mind hole right open, there are lots of other private forums on Boards that you have to request access to as well but im not gonna tell you how :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭wendell borton

There are glaring similarities between the way mods operate and the thoughtpolice of orwells 1984:
    • The Thought Police mods operate a false resistance movement sub reddit in order to lure in disloyal Party boards members before arresting baning them. One of the Thought Police's agents, O'Brien, is part of this false flag operation. It is not revealed however, if a genuine resistance movement actually exists, though the tactic of using a false resistance group to lure out dissidents was used by the State Political Directorate in the Soviet Union.
    • The Thought Police also target and eliminate ban highly intelligent people, since they may come to realize how the Party boards.ie is exploiting them.
    • The Thought Police generally interfere very little with the Proles, although a few agents always move among them, spreading false rumours, identifying and eliminating any individual deemed capable of independent thought or rebellion against the Party boards.ie.
    • All Party boards.ie members live their lives under constant supervision of the Thought Police.
    • In order to remove any possibility of creating martyrs, whose memories could be used as a rallying cause against the Party, the Thought Police gradually wear down the will of political prisoners in the Ministry of Love prison forum through torture, conversations, degradation, and finally, Room 101. The methods are designed to eventually make the prisoner genuinely accept Party ideology, and come to love Big Brother DeVore, and not merely confess. After being released back into society for a short while, they are re-arrested banned, charged with new offences, and executed. All people who knew them forget them through crimestop, and all records are destroyed and replaced with falsified records by the Ministry of Truth Dav. Their bodies are disposed of via cremation.

:rolleyes:

Thought-Crime, Thought-Crime!

We got a Thought-Crime over here!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭Dav

If someone wants to try spreading misinformation about us for Reddit upvotes or whatever, then good luck to them, it didn't take long to point out that they fabricated the whole thing. The person in question is not and has never been a mod on this site. That he has asked everyone to remove his name from this thread tells you that he's too much of a coward to stand by his comments and answer for them here when called on them. They also PM'd me asking me to delete the thread (I'd never have known it was here if they hadn't) - needless to say I see no reason for this thread to be deleted.

If people have questions about how things work, we're happy to answer them. I'd like to think that we go to some lengths to keep our processes and procedures transparent and in public domain - we gain nothing by keeping this stuff hidden and mysterious :)

Just to put this to bed definitively:

There is of course a mods only forum where mods can talk shop and we have never made a secret of its existence. We do not spend time in there plotting the downfall of our members, but if some asshat starts asshatting their way across all of the site, it's likely someone will have started a thread about said asshat in the Mods forum usually along of the lines of "has this asshat been an asshat in your forum too?" So many asshats... It's also where we (both the office and the admin team) get to talk to the mods as a group about any site policy or legal matters.

Our Mods are a community too, there's no reason they shouldn't have a community forum like any other :)

Anyway, not only is there a mods forum, but particularly busy forums such as AH and Soccer and a slew of others have a dedicated forum for their team because it's just easier to manage busier forums that way and to keep "institutional knowledge and experience" easier to access.

On top of that, there are CMods only and Admins only forums too.

All of you have been smart enough to immediately see the needs for these sorts of areas on the site, so it's good to see that common sense still prevails :D

If anyone has any specific questions about these things, post them here and I'll come back at the end of the day and try to answer them (if I can). If I can't answer, I'll do my best to at least explain why I can't.

Just to clarify the above:

Are you categorically stating that the private forums are not part of a plot to steal our precious bodily fluids?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,180 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Dav wrote: »
    I'd like to think that we go to some lengths to keep our processes and procedures transparent and in public domain - we gain nothing by keeping this stuff hidden and mysterious :)

And as an addendum, the DRP forum is completely public to view, including all past DRP threads. If there were any dodgy or trumped up bans, they'd be on show for everyone to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

Dav: How does the definition of forums and what subsections they're listed in get made? For example there's "Accessibility & Mobility & Disability" under "Soc," and there's "Long Term Illness," under "Science." Is that type of thing discussed in the Admin/Mod forums, or is it all part of applying for a new board?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Lyaiera wrote: »
    Dav: How does the definition of forums and what subsections they're listed in get made? For example there's "Accessibility & Mobility & Disability" under "Soc," and there's "Long Term Illness," under "Science." Is that type of thing discussed in the Admin/Mod forums, or is it all part of applying for a new board?

Uh oh. We might have a leak.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,180 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Lyaiera wrote: »

Historically the categories broadly mirrored the ones used on Usenet. They often don't quite fit a lot of things by now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

tricky D wrote: »
    Uh oh. We might have a leak.

I wish I was a mod. My bannings would be swift and merciless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭aidanathome

Sorry, I wasn't here at the start and didn't get any pitchforks or torches. Can someone point me in the direction that the mob was heading?

Advertisement