Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Worrying revelation about Boards

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,873 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Macavity likes mysteries. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Macavity.

Chucken wrote: »
    :D
    Zaph wrote: »
    Because I have access to all the new mod requests in the admin forum.

Could he not have another account under another username?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Davarus Walrus

I once attended a boards beers where I bought a moderator of some regard a pint of premium lager. I then let him know about my dislike for a certain poster. That poster was site banned the next day.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,053 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

this has all the ingredients of a classic thread, conspiricy mixed with here say mixed with truth and admission that the area exists,

But there has always been openness the area exists.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭The Peanut

If I were mod on the soccer forums, I'd want counselling, never mind a venting forum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Some of us have a thread that the mods don't know about and we discuss them sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

Macavity. wrote: »

Who?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

truffle5 wrote: »
    I was browsing “le Reddit” when I came across this comment from a user who claims to be an ex-Boards mod.

I guess it’s expected that mods will have their “pet posters” who will agree with everything they say…it’s natural to like some people more than others. But it’s shocking that mods conspire to get rid of dissenting posters…a bit like how Stalin erased his murdered rivals from photographs and pretended they never existed. Very ominous.

That was in the past. Things are very different now. Now we have a sophisticated AI system that bans posters who are troublesome. The AI is so smart that even bans some posters before they become posters, some of whom are still babies. It's the future and it's making a better boards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 720 ✭✭✭DrGreenthumb

But there has always been openness the area exists.

Joey tight lips told me otherwise but its hard to get info out of that guy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

I once attended a boards beers where I bought a moderator of some regard a pint of premium lager. I then let him know about my dislike for a certain poster. That poster was site banned the next day.

Bull**** or coincidence, I would imagine it's the former

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

gandalf wrote: »
    As an ex-mod who had access to that forum that is complete and utter bull****. If any mod tried to do something like that on boards they would be demodded rapidly.

Exactly. The idea of creating a thread for this is ridiculous..........

That's why they use pm. :p

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,294 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Macavity. wrote: »

Trust me, he was never a mod.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Modding is taken very very seriously. At pains to be fair, listen to all sides, get opinions from all sides and all voices.
    A contentious or upsetting issue comes up on a forum and mods ae held to account constantly. People are made mods because they care about the forums they mod and when it gets to real nitty gritty issues, if the posters are pissed off over something the mods do wrong, they're taken to task for it. It's a very well policed system.

Who watches the watchmen? All the ****ing other watchmen.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭daviecronin

I heard ye are approached to do it? Is that true?

Btw nobody is forcing ye to do it and it's voluntary isn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,275 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Who watches the watchmen? All the ****ing other watchmen.

So, who watches them....?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 720 ✭✭✭DrGreenthumb

Just had my thread deleted about have you ever been banned,

and so it begins.....

No.People ask to become a mod.They have to pass the AMP test 1st :)

Chucken wrote: »
    No.People ask to become a mod.They have to pass the AMP test 1st :)

Call me silly but where is or what is this test?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Macavity.

AFAIK they're forced to do it, they could have their property seized if they refuse. Crazy when you think about it.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,294 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

That's correct, posters are invited to become mods. Actively canvassing for a modship is the quickest way to remove yourself from contention. And yes, all mods, CMods and admins are volunteers, and the time and effort they spend keeping the site running is hugely appreciated. Well by most people anyway.
    endacl wrote: »
    So, who watches them....?

Me. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

A friend of mine used to deliver food to the moderators training school so i'll be ok.

Call me silly

Ok....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Buona Fortuna

Call me silly but where is or what is this test?

They check first to see how often you thank a Mod's post and then they send you a special link.

That's correct, posters are invited to become mods. Actively canvassing for a modship is the quickest way to remove yourself from contention. And yes, all mods, CMods and admins are volunteers, and the time and effort they spend keeping the site running is hugely appreciated. Well by most people anyway.

Me. :D

Oh I see, but if you really really really really really wanted to be one there was no way you could ask?

Trust me I appreciate the work of 'most' of ye

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭Tail Docker

Because I have access to all the new mod requests in the admin forum.

Cool. Is it true they gossip about posters and scheme to get them banned, seeing as you seem to be such a well informed chap? Though I reckon you may be spoofing.

:eek::):pac::D don't ban me.....joking...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Bafucin

Moderation is a job it's not easy I have done it on a different message board.

Some mods are better than others. Most here are fine. There are a few bad ones but not many. And when I say bad it's nothing near what you describe op. Some mods are not as able for it as others but that's experience.

There are some very messed up posters on reddit and here. And they would love to misstatement misinformation like that. The main problem with most message boards is not the moderators but the weird posters here to cause ****.

Just a quick question OP why would ANYONE believe ANYTHING said by ANYONE on Reddit???

• Registered Users Posts: 8,366 ✭✭✭corner of hells

A friend of mine used to deliver food to the moderators training school so i'll be ok.

No way , my uncle knows their gardener .
    He says theres a part of the garden that hes not allowed plant stuff in .

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,913 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Basically it entails being grabbed from the street, being blindfolded and thrown into the back of a van, driven to an abandoned warehouse and then held against your will until you agree to become a mod, but words like abduction and coercion are such ugly words. The media relations people at boards HQ prefer us to use words like 'approach' 'voluntary' and the like.

Oh and 'ban' instead of 'aggravated assault'.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,262 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I read the OP, haven't read any worrying revelation yet.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Soft Falling Rain

truffle5 wrote: »
    Fair enough. I never claimed that user CDfm's accusation was true and I even floated the idea that he could be lying. At least now we know that a private mod forum exists. The lack of transparency is worrying however. Some people can allow their biases to affect their judgement when moderating emotive threads.

If I remember correctly if a mod gets personally involved in a thread then they 'relinquish' mod duties in that thread to a co mod.

Advertisement