Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should it be illegal to cycle while wearing headphones? On the spot fine?

Options
1234568»

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,468 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

el tel wrote: »
    When you say headphones, do you mean these guys?

hercules-dj-pro-m10001-headphones72s717frsp.jpg

If so, well I would agree that there is a strong arguement that such yokes would impair your perception.

But I don't think I've ever witnessed anyone earing these on a bike so I can't see what the major problem is.
    I see lads on the grand canal path wearing them all the time, luckily they are already distracted with texting/face booking I doubt they make a difference.
    Deedsie wrote: »

There is ALMOST a 360 degree view around a car from inside. Break lights, indicators (when used) allow other road users to know when they are going to make a lane change etc.

There is a 360 degree view for cyclists provided no neck problems, cars on the other hand generally have alot less due to blind spots. There was a diagram doing the rounds before, pillars in the car, restricted view of mirrors and poor car design leave slew of blind spots. The pillars in my brothers Quasqai (wrong spelling) reduce my viewing field while stationary by almost 25%. How it got through safety design tests is beyond me. I'd estimate it at 140/180 at the front, including life saver/shoulder checks (which Irish drivers never seem to bother with it is probably about 100/180 out the back. On my bike it takes me less than a second to get a full 360 view of all going on around me.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭chinacup

MadDog76 wrote: »
    The wearing of earphones, whilst cycling, not only impairs hearing, it's also a distraction to the cyclist .......... common sense would tell anybody that if you are a vulnerable person (which every cyclist is!) engaging in a risky activity then you should be hyper aware of your surroundings and do everything possible to remain as safe as possible.

If this thread was in a general forum (as opposed to a cycling forum) the results of the poll and the opinions posted would definitely favour not using earphones whilst cycling ......... it doesn't surprise me that most of the cyclists on here are stupidly saying "wearing earphones are grand, not a problem" etc. as I see cyclists every day taking equally as stupid chances on the road ......... we are always being told to "watch out for our most vulnerable road users", I think it's time our most vulnerable road users started looking out for themselves .......... not wearing earphones would be a good place to start!!!

But for me listening to music helps me relax, I'm not sure being in an anxious state is good for cycling either. I know you're saying it helps with alertness but for me, listening to music helps me stay calm and make good road decisions. I'm also less likely to rely just on my ears and use my eyes a lot more. Earphones aren't wise all the time but as long as you've a bit of cop on I don't think they affect yuur attention to the extent people are suggesting.

Also your saying its about time we look out for ourselves. That is such a bold statement to make! The fact is majority of cyclist accidents are not the fault of the cyclists. I think there's a point to be made for using headphones wisely but some of the claims here are going overboard now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

Cyclists should be allowed to do whatever they feel like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

Lumen wrote: »
    The purpose of speed limits for motor vehicles is not to stop drivers from killing themselves, it's to stop (or rather, reduce the likelihood of) them killing other people.

Motor vehicles kill scores of passengers, other drivers, cyclists, and pedestrians each year. Bicycles do not because they're much slower, much lighter, carry no passengers, have better visibility, are narrower (and therefore more difficult to collide with) and present a more or less symmetrical risk to the cyclist as they do to the pedestrian. So for all sorts of reasons "death by cyclist" is just not a major threat facing humanity.

Aside from bicycle speed limits being practically unenforceable they would also have no effect on the third parties which speed limits are designed to protect.

Are you serious???? Speed limits are not designed to stop drivers from killing themselves????:confused:
    So if I'm driving in my car alone on an empty road with no chance of coming into contact with anybody else whatsoever I can drive at whatever speed I want to and I'm not actually breaking the law ........ ??? :D

By the way pedestrians are not the same as cyclists .......... unless where you come from pedestrians walk along the open road, weaving in and out moving cars, going through red lights, changing lanes with no warning and all whilst blasting loud music into their ear-holes!! :D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

chinacup wrote: »
    But for me listening to music helps me relax, I'm not sure being in an anxious state is good for cycling either. I know you're saying it helps with alertness but for me, listening to music helps me stay calm and make good road decisions. I'm also less likely to rely just on my ears and use my eyes a lot more. Earphones aren't wise all the time but as long as you've a bit of cop on I don't think they affect yuur attention to the extent people are suggesting.

Also your saying its about time we look out for ourselves. That is such a bold statement to make! The fact is majority of cyclist accidents are not the fault of the cyclists. I think there's a point to be made for using headphones wisely but some of the claims here are going overboard now!

You know what saves the lives of under-cautious cyclists??? Over-cautious motorists .......... you're welcome :p

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,468 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

MOD VOICE: and I think we are done

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement