Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BEWARE

Options
  • 19-08-2014 9:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭

Just letting you know lads ,there was a pair of Swarovski El range for sale on a well known Irish website lately , the ad said they were in Mayo and no contact no just an email contact , so I emailed him and it turns out he was in Germany , came to a deal and i transferred nearly €2000 to commerz bank which was to go to deutsche post , seemingly deutsche post hold the money for 30 days after I receive the binos , have emails from them and emails from DHL in Germany to confirm everything was ok , so like a gob****e I tought everything was hunky dorey until the seller stopped returning my emails , turns out I was done , AIB tried to get my money back but got an email saying that the commerz bank ac has been emptied and that the remitted should contact the seller , but he won't reply to my emails , just waiting to give a statement to the Garda now to see if they can do anything , before you all tell me I was a silly f***er I already know , if this has happened to anyone you know , what was the outcome ? Any help would be great , thank you !!!!

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

That is some kick in the rocks lad.

You'll get, and have already said, all the comments about "you shoulda this" and "coulda that", but in the end hindsight is a great thing as is the ability to deal with a situation when looking in from the outside.

I've found the advert you are referring to and there is a warning up about the seller. The advert is also removed, but unless it was done through PayPal or a PayPal type group where you have a resolution process i don't think you have any kind of recovery route bar An Gardaí as you're doing.

You said above that the bank hold it for 30 days after you receive the goods. Have you any avenue that way? Was the 30 day period up? I don't see how it could be as you never received the goods so why was the money released?
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭One shot on kill

That's rough sorry to hear buddy.

Could you email him from a different account and pretend to buy another set.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭cw67irl

Sorry to hear that, Some kick in the stones!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

leica wrote: »
    Just letting you know lads ,there was a pair of Swarovski El range for sale on a well known Irish website lately , the ad said they were in Mayo and no contact no just an email contact , so I emailed him Hand it turns out he was in Germany , came to a deal and i transferred nearly €2000 to commerz bank which was to go to deutsche post , seemingly deutsche post hold the money for 30 days after I receive the binos , have emails from them and emails from DHL in Germany to confirm everything was ok , so like a gob****e I tought everything was hunky dorey until the seller stopped returning my emails , turns out I was done , AIB tried to get my money back but got an email saying that the commerz bank ac has been emptied and that the remitted should contact the seller , but he won't reply to my emails , just waiting to give a statement to the Garda now to see if they can do anything , before you all tell me I was a silly f***er I already know , if this has happened to anyone you know , what was the outcome ? Any help would be great , thank you !!!!

Had a similar event almost happen to me on ebay a few years back, except I was the seller. The buyer basically bought it, and then sent me fake emails from ebay saying that the item had been paid for but the money was being held by ebay until I had sent them proof of shipping.

There are some sneaky feckers out on the internet....

• Registered Users Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

@Leica
    This read somewhat fammilar to your situation ?
    http://www.toytowngermany.com/lofi/index.php/t178417-15.html

You need to contact the German police too,as this is in their turf,and more than likely this is another East bolck scam artist. Wire fraud in Germany is BTW a Federal rap so they will take it a lot more seriously.
    If you have the bank acc details IBAN,BIC account and branch name contact the police in what ever federal province this happened in and make a complaint[Anzeige],can do this in English too,its second langauge over there.
    If you have any problems with it PM me as I speak fluent German and can help you out with it.
    Grizz

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭Lotharmike

Same thing nearly a year ago the trail is luke warm turned out to be a Spaniard posing as German with an account in Hungary living for a time in London.I kid you not.Metro police are now doing a investigation unfortunately you are just going to have to accept its gone.Even if the guy/gal is found & is prosecuted in that jurisdiction there is little hope of getting your Euro's back.Personally I just wanted to do the bast*** at least that is some satisfaction.No one likes to admit they were duped but some of the scams are something to behold.I will only buy off of a member on a site that has i.d. logo on his profile & resident in the country hosting the site.Lesson well learned.Know how you feel believe me.Don't beat yourself up too hard these scammers are very good you won't be the last too fall into the trap.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭leica

The 30 day period never started cos it was supposed to start the day I received the binos , I have emails from deutsche post stating that and efiliale who was supposed to be holding the money until 30 days after I received the binos , I have iban and bic numbers which I traced back to commerz bank , but sure enough the emails from deutsche post and efiliale could be fake , when I trace the tracking number on DHL , it tells me the postage has been paid for but not sent , hope the ba***rd gets his come uppings , grizz I might just take you up on that offer if it still stands ? After all I am at fault for not using my thick head and using PayPal or telling him to f**k off , hopefully some good will come out of it !!!!

Just pass it all onto the Gardaí. If the e-mails are false the IP addresses might be useful. Also the tracking number, if it brought you to a parcel, might have details of a person that could be useful.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

The 30 day period never started cos it was supposed to start the day I received the binos , I have emails from deutsche post stating that and efiliale who was supposed to be holding the money until 30 days after I received the binos , I have iban and bic numbers which I traced back to commerz bank , but sure enough the emails from deutsche post and efiliale could be fake , when I trace the tracking number on DHL , it tells me the postage has been paid for but not sent , hope the ba***rd gets his come uppings , grizz I might just take you up on that offer if it still stands ? After all I am at fault for not using my thick head and using PayPal or telling him to f**k off , hopefully some good will come out of it !!!!

Dont beat yourself up too badly on this.This is like South African scams were people were duped out of thousands on bogus shares and diamond buy ins Better as they actually had verifiable "addresses "[ in the shanty town around Johannes burg and Cape town] and answerd phones with "office noise" [A lad sitting in his mums kitchen with a cassette recorder of phones ringing and being answerd!!]

This is just the better updated version being played out here by people who are masters of scams and rely on people here not knowing how another countries postal /banking system works.

Deutsche post/DHL dont hold money until items are deliverd.They are the semi private post service of Germany so their job is delivering letters and parcels.

PM me if you want a hand with this.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 1 noelfoley

Hey Leica, I have been scammed by the same person also but I was scammed out of €2910 for the purchase of DJ equipment. The scam is literally identical to the one you described and happened at the same time. Have you made any progress in getting your money back or finding out who did it. I have got some info on the guy and have some IT guys working on it. I would like to get in contact with you to try catch this guy if possible? Did you get a shipment number with DHL?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 wolfyuksa

I too was unfortunate to pay money over to the same people and the same scam last week. I checked with my banks fraud dept and they said you have to report it to the guards and then they will take it up with the banks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

wolfyuksa wrote: »
    I too was unfortunate to pay money over to the same people and the same scam last week. I checked with my banks fraud dept and they said you have to report it to the guards and then they will take it up with the banks.

Report to the Gardai and get the reference number. That's what the bank is looking for.

I contacted the gaurds and they really didn't give a ****e , they said that the crime wasn't committed in Ireland so there wasn't a lot they could do , they did say to contact the German embassy, they might be able to point you in the right direction , to be honest I kinda gave up cos that guy/gal could be anywhere in the world with a bank account in Germany , the same add is up on done deal now again under a different name and this time he's from Killkenny and I was emailing him from a different email address, and as sure as **** he wanted me to go through The same procedures,( deutsche post will hold your funds fo 30 days etc etc) , don't know what to do 😢

Don't report the advert, yet.

Save the page/advert and then contact either one or all three of these and include the advert and your own details.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 electrichunter

hi leica glad i seen this add , similar add on done deal now , swarorski binos i was in contact , and as u said no contact no just message from a lady saying to contact husband on a long number or email link turns out they are in germany left ireland 2 years ago and wife suggested to sell on done deal he even wondered how i got his email as wife must have put add up as she suggested. he was going through the motions of dhl german post system ,so i think iv been saved 1500 . my god they seam so legit even spliting cost of the parcels postage . sorry to hear of ur loss by the way.

Are both of those ads in Clare supposedly?
    If that advert is still up.It should be reported to AGS pronto.We now this scam is going on and they are trying their hand again here in Ireland.so it would be nice to ensnare these crooks once and for all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

Id contact a lawyer in Germany, they can get his contact details. And i would report it to the german police. They dont take things like that lightly here.

FACT! Money wire fraud is a Federal rap in Germany and they are none too happy about it. A cunning plan is forming in my mind here,and I might be able to get this kicked to touch here with the AGS and German contacts...;)

both adds are in clare look up binos in search its up 7 days and if you look at add they have 2 adds up second is flir thermal nv scope. i informed add service provider of my suspicions so we will see what they do. i was almost going to go ahead with purchase only i was double checking every thing.

Hmmm.Both ads now gone today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭zeissman

My mate was also looking at these, he was also in contact with them and was going to buy them but I seen this thread last night and warned him.

zeissman wrote: »
    My mate was also looking at these, he was also in contact with them and was going to buy them but I seen this thread last night and warned him.

thanks be to god , same story i bet germany and german post dhl ,ill tell u its very believable the way they mail u a draw u in. was his name klaus hafner and karmine on the website selling.

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭zeissman

thanks be to god , same story i bet germany and german post dhl ,ill tell u its very believable the way they mail u a draw u in. was his name klaus hafner and karmine on the website selling.

Don't know what name he used, told him they only left Ireland 2 weeks ago.
    Told him to lodge the money through some post office type account and he would be able to pick up the binoculars at the post office and check them prior to his money being released.
    Load of bul****.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭TombstoneT

A similar trick was tried with me some time ago when I was selling a bike. Thank God I didn't fall for it although it can be tempting. Sorry to hear of your misfortune and I wish you the best of luck with your enquiries.
    Best Regards,
    T.T.

For all we know that person could be living in Ireland

Same add back up now in Carlow we agreed on €1725 and I told him I would buy them , got the same emails as before from dhl, it's definitely the same person that caught me for €1820 before, his email is verified on done deal , any one that can hep me get my money back I wii personally hand them €500 in cash or donate it to a charity of their choice, it's not reall about the money anymore but I would like to catch the f***er , grizzly45 anything you can do ?

seen it myself was trying to draw him out .he has other stuff for sale also high value good wouldn't it be great to catch him.

I'd love to catch him personally

Same add back up now in Carlow we agreed on €1725 and I told him I would buy them , got the same emails as before from dhl, it's definitely the same person that caught me for €1820 before, his email is verified on done deal , any one that can hep me get my money back I wii personally hand them €500 in cash or donate it to a charity of their choice, it's not reall about the money anymore but I would like to catch the f***er , grizzly45 anything you can do ?

Not much here if AGS won't get off their butts. [Contact the German embassy..pfff...Seriously?No crime committed?? Fraud by deception perhaps?]
    Obviously, DD has no interest in verifying their customer's honesty either.

So the only thing at the moment you could do is basically post this on a FB page you create like "BEWARE of crooks on Donedeal.ie" or the like outlining your story, with the scam, pulled on you ,the IBAN numbers, the name of the people involved in the scam and the equipment pics...Then email them the link to the FB page.:) Won't get your money back I'm afraid, but it will upset their scam and expose them.I
    f you Twatter and insta grains ,hit the message out there as well..Then leak the story to the press, red tops are good for this as well, and hopefully, that will get them scuttling back into whatever sewer they came out of.

• Advertisement

i think or friend is back on done deal selling rf binos again this time leica's, so dont get stung its a scam.

Advertisement