Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

viewing exam scripts

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

ConorR32 wrote: »
    Just checking, can oral results be appealed? I calculated my max and min possible mark for the Irish Oral and it seems a bit below my usual standard (as judged by several teachers/examiners). My papers were marked spot on! It's just the oral that I think is off! And it could mean a significant rise in points if I am.

You can get them rechecked as far as I know but you are not able to see it yourself .

• Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Some weird stuff went on with our Biology papers. Every single paper that was sent to our school had been re-corrected with massive discrepancies between the first and second markings of up to 40 marks.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 ConorR32

EoghanIRL wrote: »
    You can get them rechecked as far as I know but you are not able to see it yourself .
    Excellent, thanks! So is it automatically rechecked if I appeal my Irish result? There's no option to appeal just the oral on the appeals form?
    thelad95 wrote: »
    Some weird stuff went on with our Biology papers. Every single paper that was sent to our school had been re-corrected with massive discrepancies between the first and second markings of up to 40 marks.
    I presume it was an advising examiner that rechecked your papers? (Green ink for revised marks). It's not unusual really, my english result went up around 50-60 marks in the re-correction.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

I presume it was an advising examiner that rechecked your papers? (Green ink for revised marks). It's not unusual really, my english result went up around 50-60 marks in the re-correction.

Yeah it was just weird to see people go up by up to two grades from the initial marking.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Pidge96

Went in and looked at my chem . I got an A on the first correction and on the second correction the supervising examiner marked it all the way down to a B!!
    Definitely getting it rechecked .

Poor chance of winning an appeal on a paper checked by the advising examiner.

• Advertisement

Excellent, thanks! So is it automatically rechecked if I appeal my Irish result? There's no option to appeal just the oral on the appeals form?

As far as I know they do check it . On the appeals sheet the admin In your school gives you perhaps write down that you want the oral in particular to be rechecked . The admin puts this sheet in with your paper when it's being sent off .

Pidge96 wrote: »
    Poor chance of winning an appeal on a paper checked by the advising examiner.

It's at 84 percent and I think I see discrepancies . It's worth a shot just for me . It will annoy me not knowing . At least I'm not counting it and I won't get downgraded .

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,139 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Yeah it was just weird to see people go up by up to two grades from the initial marking.

This is why I keep saying with regards to marks in Mock exams - it makes a huge difference who is correcting them. If it's someone who has experience correcting for the SEC, they have a much better idea of what is and is not likely to get marks. Mock exam corrections don't have the 'recheck by the advising examiner' safeguard.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Mario95

In Question 3, part c) of Maths paper 2, I lost 3 marks, my method was exactly the same as in the marking scheme. As my answer I got "0.20093" - 0.2 was in the marking scheme, but we were never told to round the answer.
    So, as I only need 2 more marks for an A in maths, can I somehow appeal only this one small part of a question?

When I am filling out the Appeal Application form and I wish to pay using the examnations.ie website, do I still need to write anything/sign after the "I wish to appeal the grades achieved in the subject(s) indicated above. The appropriate fee has been paid to the State examinations Commission by credit transfer from.........." part?

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭yeahscience

I think it was a good experience to view the scripts. I didn't view with the purpose of gathering more marks but I did notice that in Physics, for the very first part of Q2, that I had said the correct angle, but it wasn't awarded the 4 marks. I didn't state it directly but I did the relevant calculations and when the refractive index of the set of angles relating to angle r = 23 was inconsistent with the other sets of angles I stated this and noted r = 23 beside it. Should I have been awarded? I'm just curious.

I was very happy with my English result when I viewed the scripts; (97.5% or 390/400 marks). Given the subjectivity of marking, I'm pleased the outcome was a positive one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,222 ✭✭✭robman60

FatRat wrote: »
    The oral test marks are a pain in the hole alright... I hate not being able to see the marks we got for them. For example, I got a B2 in German. I thought the written paper would explain why but I actually got 80% in the written test, a B1, which means the oral brought me down. I can't believe it really, I was certain I did better than 80/100 in my oral test but apparently not. On the other hand I got 301/360 in my Irish written test.. which is a complete farce btw, my whole class did way worse than expected and I can only blame the correcter we had (I attend an Irish speaking school). BUT I still got an A1, which means I got either 239/240 or 240/240 in my oral, which is pretty damn good if I say so myself. Pleased with that.. not pleased with German.

I second what you say about Irish. The written paper was marked extremely hard IMO. I only managed 78% overall in paper 2, and 306 for written and aural combined. The prose and poetry was marked very hard and I did terribly on the second comprehension for some reason. I worked out I got a minimum of 234/240 in the oral as I still managed an A1. I'd definitely have appealed if I didn't though. The written sections were marked way too hard I thought!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭TheRedDevil10

Would 89.5% in Maths be rounded up to an A1 ?

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭Ompala

AFAIK it would not be, I don't believe they do rounding for LC papers, you either get enough marks for the grade or you don't

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Mario95

As far as I know, they don't take percentages into account when calculating the grade. They have a table set up with ranges of marks corresponding to grades.
    This roughly translates to rounding the percentage down, so 89.5% would be 89; and 89<90, so its an A2.

I got 84.67%, and it still counts as a B1.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭TheRedDevil10

Right, that's a bit a disappointing. I got 89.33% so that means I need 4 marks, I thought I needed only one

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭xLisaBx

Foocking chief examiner brought my A1 in home ec to an A2 :(

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Ompala wrote: »
    AFAIK it would not be, I don't believe they do rounding for LC papers, you either get enough marks for the grade or you don't

No. Grades are awarded for marks not percentages.

360/400 = A1
    359/400 = A2

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭Ompala

No. Grades are awarded for marks not percentages.

360/400 = A1
    359/400 = A2

Yeah thats what I thought, you might get lucky in that the subject being marked may be more at the discretion of the examiner than others e.g English. If someone was on 89.5% there I would think there is a fair chance of you going up, though obviously you could go down but thats much less likely

• Registered Users Posts: 28 zagaluke

Mario95 wrote: »
    Can please you give me a value for what's needed for an A2 in Maths (600 mark exam)?

510/600 is the A2 mark

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Every single paper that was sent to our school had been re-corrected with massive discrepancies between the first and second markings of up to 40 marks.
    Remember though that the same examiner will normally get the script pack for a subject from a school, it's not as if they split each school between 10 different people.

Sounds to me like a first-time examiner who was a bit too lenient initially, and an advising examiner who was on the ball and did her / his job.
    I was very happy with my English result when I viewed the scripts; (97.5% or 390/400 marks). Given the subjectivity of marking, I'm pleased the outcome was a positive one.
    I think a lot of people over-estimate the subjectivity of English tbh. Sure, realistically it's more subjective than Maths or Physics for example, but apart from the marking scheme, there's the Marking Conference at which a lot of discussion will take place, you have cross-moderation by the Advising Examiners, the Asst. Chief will sample / cross-moderate in turn ... there are a lot of mechanisms in place to limit the level of subjectivity which can creep in.

And sure, the odd script can slip through and will go up on a re-check, but the idea that there are vast discrepancies all over the place in English is a myth; in fact, though I'd have to check to be sure, I seem to recall that in terms of grades changing due to re-checks, English was far from being the subject with the highest rate last year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭seavill

FatRat wrote: »
    I was in already.. disappointed we don't get to see our practical and project marks! I got 96/97% in my theory though.. which is outrageous, didn't ever think I'd get that high so I was curious to see how I did overall. However I got 89 in DCG, 4 marks off an A1. I know the theory was marked correctly but do you think if I got it rechecked then the new corrector might mark my DCG project differently? I think the project has an element of opinion to how it's marked and I only need a few marks! I genuinely think I was marked unfairly on it too, was expecting full marks or close to that for it and got 137/160.

I'm asking this on the assumption that you teach DCG btw. Sorry if you don't!

Only seeing this now so apologies for the delay. As others have said its obviously something that is really annoying you so for the sake of €40 why not get it rechecked as you obviously won't be happy unless you know for certain.
    The project is not that subjective, if you havn't ticked all the boxes in each section you wont get the marks, for example leaving out primary research in output 1 would probably prevent full marks in that section no matter how good you think your page looks. You are on 85.6% currently on your project thats a long way from the A1 in reality so would it be likely that your grade would jump by that much in the project I would say unlikely but as I said you probably wont be happy until you have it checked so you might as well go for it if you can

85.6 is only 85 when you round down . That Is dangerously close to being downgraded no ?

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Shane15

I desperately need to pass HL maths and I got 37.3%, is there a good chance that I could pass it in a recheck?

Shane15 wrote: »
    I desperately need to pass HL maths and I got 37.3%, is there a good chance that I could pass it in a recheck?

Rechecks aren't about giving people the D3 just because they appeal. Was there anything in your exam which wasn't awarded marks that should have been according to the marking scheme? That's the question you need to ask

• Registered Users Posts: 2,222 ✭✭✭robman60

Shane15 wrote: »

Bearing in mind that the pass is 38%, I'd definitely appeal, even if you don't see a specific place you should be awarded marks. If it's the difference between you having to repeat or not it's worth the forty euro anyway, I think.

Quick question, do you actually have to go up a grade to get the recheck fee refunded or would an increase in marks be enough? I got 86% in business but my business teacher and I feel I was given 0/10 in one section unjustifiably and I feel there's a slim chance I may get an A1 as there are a few other places I lost marks where I don't think I should. If I went up to, for example, 89%, would I get refunded or would I need to attain an A1 grade?

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭AtomicKoala

On what basis do chief examiners take exams for their "perusal", to use the vernacular on the note left excusing the absence of my Physics paper?

I didn't get full marks (395/400), and I did better in History which wasn't taken, and only marginally worse in Applied Maths (296/300), which likewise was with the rest of my scripts.

Perhaps they feel it may have been marked too easily? I have no fear of losing my A1 mind :pac:

Also, will I eventually get to see said Physics paper, or is it lost to its fate? :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,139 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

On what basis do chief examiners take exams for their "perusal", to use the vernacular on the note left excusing the absence of my Physics paper?

I didn't get full marks (395/400), and I did better in History which wasn't taken, and only marginally worse in Applied Maths (296/300), which likewise was with the rest of my scripts.

Perhaps they feel it may have been marked too easily? I have no fear of losing my A1 mind :pac:

Also, will I eventually get to see said Physics paper, or is it lost to its fate? :)

They may be using yours for training as an example of a very good script. Nothing nefarious, I'm sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭AtomicKoala

spurious wrote: »
    They may be using yours for training as an example of a very good script. Nothing nefarious, I'm sure.

Ah right, that sounds nice. I suppose my History script was borderline illegible :pac:

robman60 wrote: »
    Bearing in mind that the pass is 38%, I'd definitely appeal, even if you don't see a specific place you should be awarded marks. If it's the difference between you having to repeat or not it's worth the forty euro anyway, I think.

Quick question, do you actually have to go up a grade to get the recheck fee refunded or would an increase in marks be enough? I got 86% in business but my business teacher and I feel I was given 0/10 in one section unjustifiably and I feel there's a slim chance I may get an A1 as there are a few other places I lost marks where I don't think I should. If I went up to, for example, 89%, would I get refunded or would I need to attain an A1 grade?

You need to get a grade change not just a mark change. A mark change with no grade change doesn't affect your points etc

Maybe there's a positive reason like awards or scholarships for highest marks in a subject.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭FatRat

85.6 is only 85 when you round down . That Is dangerously close to being downgraded no ?

No my project got 85.6 .. I got 89 overall.

Advertisement