Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

viewing exam scripts

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Nick_1494

Anyone else not get their viewing form back yet?

I got mine today but only after contacting the school. Admin forgot to post it :rolleyes: They might not have allocated times in your school yet or it could have been posted today.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭FatRat

Will our construction practical artefacts be available to view tomorrow? As in do they return them to the school? Similarly, I'd imagine we will get to view our DCG and construction projects again? Perhaps even be allowed to take them home... ? And will we be able to see exactly how we were marked on all of our projects? I ask because I got an A2 in DCG and I really think if I'm marked down in certain parts in my project then I will get it rechecked.

• Registered Users Posts: 704 ✭✭✭Lara_15

how long does it take to view scripts on average... got a message today asking me to come in at 11, but the slot thing on the sheet says 9-12 so that means ill only have an hour to view all of them :/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

Can I bring in the marking schemes on my phone ?

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭Ompala

EoghanIRL wrote: »
    Can I bring in the marking schemes on my phone ?

You aren't allowed bring your phone in with you, but they give you the marking schemes while you are viewing your script

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 877 ✭✭✭Magnate

Just out of curiosity, what would happen if you didn't get the points you wanted, got an exam rechecked and went up enough to get a place but the course you wanted was then full?

• Registered Users Posts: 704 ✭✭✭Lara_15

Magnate wrote: »
    Just out of curiosity, what would happen if you didn't get the points you wanted, got an exam rechecked and went up enough to get a place but the course you wanted was then full?

think they hold the place for you next year

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭jamas

Can you bring in anything other than a calculator? Are some places stricter that others? Any hints on what to look for, apart from the adding errors

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Lara_15 wrote: »
    how long does it take to view scripts on average... got a message today asking me to come in at 11, but the slot thing on the sheet says 9-12 so that means ill only have an hour to view all of them :/

Just go in that bit earlier. They aren't going to refuse you entry

jamas wrote: »
    Can you bring in anything other than a calculator? Are some places stricter that others? Any hints on what to look for, apart from the adding errors

All centres are run the exact same way. You can bring a calculator. No phones, cameras or pens are allowed. If you want to make notes if you think you're gonna appeal leave a notebook and pen outside the centre and go out and write down your notes. You don't need anything else in there. Marking schemes are provided

• Advertisement

Went in and looked at my chem . I got an A on the first correction and on the second correction the supervising examiner marked it all the way down to a B!!
    Definitely getting it rechecked .

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Shane15

I got 224/600 on HL maths, which is 37.3% I think? Is it true that you pass if you get 38% on maths?

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Nick_1494

Shane15 wrote: »
    I got 224/600 on HL maths, which is 37.3% I think? Is it true that you pass if you get 38% on maths?

Yes, there is a tolerance of 2% for a pass grade, if you still have that green sheet its explained at the bottom of point 4

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Shane15

Nick_1494 wrote: »
    Yes, there is a tolerance of 2% for a pass grade, if you still have that green sheet its explained at the bottom of point 4

Wow, that's sickening.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭seavill

FatRat wrote: »
    Will our construction practical artefacts be available to view tomorrow? As in do they return them to the school? Similarly, I'd imagine we will get to view our DCG and construction projects again? Perhaps even be allowed to take them home... ? And will we be able to see exactly how we were marked on all of our projects? I ask because I got an A2 in DCG and I really think if I'm marked down in certain parts in my project then I will get it rechecked.

Not sure if you have already gone in or not, but no you won't get to see either of your projects, the construction studies project never left the school but you wont see how it was graded the only thing you will see is your written paper.

The same for DCG. If you get it rechecked though the projects are also looked at again.
    You can't take home the construction studies project until after the appeals date has passed regardless of whether you are appealing or not

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,139 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Went in and looked at my chem . I got an A on the first correction and on the second correction the supervising examiner marked it all the way down to a B!!

This sometimes makes it less likely to be changed as the Advising Examiner is likely to have double checked that he/she was applying the marking scheme properly, but fingers crossed. Do you need the upgrade for your course?

Are you appealing just because the advising examiner brought it down, or are you appealing because there were parts of your paper that got no marks and the points you made were in the scheme?

Because the job of the advising examiner is to make sure the papers are being corrected properly, if the original examiner was too lenient marking your paper, then the adviser was just doing their job by applying the marking scheme properly to your paper.

It's highly unlikely that it will change.

spurious wrote: »
    This sometimes makes it less likely to be changed as the Advising Examiner is likely to have double checked that he/she was applying the marking scheme properly, but fingers crossed. Do you need the upgrade for your course?
    Hey ,
    No chemistry was my lowest grade and I got my first choice so I'm not counting it but I still want an A so that if I want to reapply abroad or here that I will have it .
    However I went from 87% to 84%.
    That's not a small change in my opinion .
    The second examiner wrote in bigger green writing next to the original marks . I also agree that it is very unlikely because of this and that the next corrector would be influenced by the advising examiner but it's 84%!!

Worth a shot in my opinion .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,222 ✭✭✭robman60

I don't need to appeal maths but I got a B1 and was convinced I had done terribly in P1, with P2 bringing me up a lot.

I was absolutely dumbfounded when I saw I got 262/300 in P1 and 244/300 in P2. My maths teacher was looking at it with me and I was saying I wouldn't bother appealing but he was saying he really felt I should, just for "pride". What do you guys think of doing this? Is it needless or will I regret it if I leave a potential A behind me. I will admit I was very surprised to have three 0/10 marks in paper 2 as I think my efforts warranted at least the low partial credit in two cases. The fact that I'm only four marks away from an A2 makes me want to just check it up.

Overall it was very interesting to see how I did. My best results by far were 199/200 in English P1 and 197/200 in English P2 (I lost three marks on unseen poetry >_>). Does anyone think this will put me in contention for an award or would I need absolute perfection?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 EKSD95

3 marks off an A1 in chemistry, should i go for the appeal?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,139 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

robman60, those English marks are really great, well done!

On the issue of whether to look for a recheck if you don't need it for a course, it's up to you. If it's something you think would niggle away at you over time, get it sorted and leave yourself in no doubt.

EKSD95 wrote: »

Grades aren't given out just because you were close to the next grade.

Was there anything in your paper that didn't get marks that was in the the marking scheme? That is the bottom line. If there wasn't your grade won't change.

robman60 wrote: »
    I don't need to appeal maths but I got a B1 and was convinced I had done terribly in P1, with P2 bringing me up a lot.

I was absolutely dumbfounded when I saw I got 262/300 in P1 and 244/300 in P2. My maths teacher was looking at it with me and I was saying I wouldn't bother appealing but he was saying he really felt I should, just for "pride". What do you guys think of doing this? Is it needless or will I regret it if I leave a potential A behind me. I will admit I was very surprised to have three 0/10 marks in paper 2 as I think my efforts warranted at least the low partial credit in two cases. The fact that I'm only four marks away from an A2 makes me want to just check it up.

Overall it was very interesting to see how I did. My best results by far were 199/200 in English P1 and 197/200 in English P2 (I lost three marks on unseen poetry >_>). Does anyone think this will put me in contention for an award or would I need absolute perfection?

Again if you think the questions you attempted and got no marks in deserved marks according to the scheme, then it might be worth appealing. However, appeal examiners don't go looking for marks just because you are near the next grade.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Mario95

EKSD95 wrote: »

I was 2 marks off an A in maths :D. Examiners are very evil people.

seavill wrote: »
    Not sure if you have already gone in or not, but no you won't get to see either of your projects, the construction studies project never left the school but you wont see how it was graded the only thing you will see is your written paper.

The same for DCG. If you get it rechecked though the projects are also looked at again.
    You can't take home the construction studies project until after the appeals date has passed regardless of whether you are appealing or not

I was in already.. disappointed we don't get to see our practical and project marks! I got 96/97% in my theory though.. which is outrageous, didn't ever think I'd get that high so I was curious to see how I did overall. However I got 89 in DCG, 4 marks off an A1. I know the theory was marked correctly but do you think if I got it rechecked then the new corrector might mark my DCG project differently? I think the project has an element of opinion to how it's marked and I only need a few marks! I genuinely think I was marked unfairly on it too, was expecting full marks or close to that for it and got 137/160.

I'm asking this on the assumption that you teach DCG btw. Sorry if you don't!

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭accountname

FatRat wrote: »
    I was in already.. disappointed we don't get to see our practical and project marks! I got 96/97% in my theory though.. which is outrageous, didn't ever think I'd get that high so I was curious to see how I did overall. However I got 89 in DCG, 4 marks off an A1. I know the theory was marked correctly but do you think if I got it rechecked then the new corrector might mark my DCG project differently? I think the project has an element of opinion to how it's marked and I only need a few marks! I genuinely think I was marked unfairly on it too, was expecting full marks or close to that for it and got 137/160.

I'm asking this on the assumption that you teach DCG btw. Sorry if you don't!

Do they let you see the breakdown of marks for the project too or do you just have to figure it out from your theory mark? Got the A1 in DCG myself and I'm dying to see how :o

Also, does anyone know if all my papers will be there, or is it just the ones I chose? Regret not applying to see a few and I'm hoping they'll be there regardless!

It's annoying not knowing your exact mark in oral work and projects especially when you put so much work into them
    I managed to figure out that the minimum I could have gotten in my oral is 91 percent because even though I got an a1 in the written german paper , I still lost 20 marks and 11 in the listening . You can lose only 40 marks for an a1 which means I have 9 marks left to lose on the oral (worst case scenario ).
    I still would like to know what I got . I don't see why they can't just tell us ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,222 ✭✭✭robman60

It's annoying not knowing your exact mark in oral work and projects especially when you put so much work into them
    I managed to figure out that the minimum I could have gotten in my oral is 91 percent because even though I got an a1 in the written german paper , I still lost 20 marks and 11 in the listening . You can lose only 40 marks for an a1 which means I have 9 marks left to lose on the oral (worse case scenario ).
    I still would like to know what I got . I don't see why they can't just tell us ?
    I agree completely. It's completely non-sensical. I got 290/300 (which was exactly the same as the example I had a few pages back!) for my French written and aural, so all I know is I got 70-100 for my oral, which isn't exactly helpful...

By the way, all honours papers are sent to the school. One guy in my school was allowed to view a paper he hadn't requested. It was at the supervisor's discretion though.

Regarding DCG... yes you can see the marks you got in the project! The marking sheet is with your project. It's the only subject I think where you get to see the marks for it. Still raging over those 4 marks. So close to an extra 10 points. Really think I'll get it rechecked just because I think my project deserved more.

The oral test marks are a pain in the hole alright... I hate not being able to see the marks we got for them. For example, I got a B2 in German. I thought the written paper would explain why but I actually got 80% in the written test, a B1, which means the oral brought me down. I can't believe it really, I was certain I did better than 80/100 in my oral test but apparently not. On the other hand I got 301/360 in my Irish written test.. which is a complete farce btw, my whole class did way worse than expected and I can only blame the correcter we had (I attend an Irish speaking school). BUT I still got an A1, which means I got either 239/240 or 240/240 in my oral, which is pretty damn good if I say so myself. Pleased with that.. not pleased with German.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 ConorR32

Just checking, can oral results be appealed? I calculated my max and min possible mark for the Irish Oral and it seems a bit below my usual standard (as judged by several teachers/examiners). My papers were marked spot on! It's just the oral that I think is off! And it could mean a significant rise in points if I am.

Advertisement